Royal Ballet School / RBS

DanceDaddy

It was definitely how it went for my DD. Was so excited to get to finals......we had never been to WL. She came out of the first day.....got back to hotel room......cried and said she hated. Didn't like the building or the crazy old tunnels or the dorm with all 15 beds in there! She didn't want to go back for the second day, but only had physio to do....plus I had an afternoon tea booked with a friend! She is now happy at another school. But def does happen!

• Like 3

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a ballet parent, but as one who has had school go badly wrong, I'd offer the following  advice.

1  Listen to the bad experiences of other parents/children (there will be some) and try to work out objectively whether or not your child will be affected by those issues.

2  Schools change all the time - most obviously when the head changes, but also heads of year, house parents etc. Sometimes the cohort of children in that year is important too. No one can forecast these things, so point 3...

3  If it's going wrong for your child, move.

In the OP's situation, I'd tell DC that no one can know what it will truly be like until they live it, so they can go but must promise to tell you if it isn't working, and you can make other arrangements. Dance training is a mountain with many paths to the summit - these are widely discussed on this forum. 

• Like 7

The only problem comes is when you continually ask your dd if they want to leave and they say ‘no this  is what I want to do’ ‘I just want to dance!’ And put up with what’s going on 🤣

(just to qualify, dd not at this school but a different one!)

Edited by Dancing unicorn
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Prancer said:

My issue was more with the children and parents attending auditions at a particular school while telling everyone that they don't like the school and wouldn't accept a place even if offered.

I think, in the ballet world, as in all aspects of life, people can say things. You don't have to listen, and you don't have to take any notice, or let it affect you. Why does this affect you so much? Just do what you need to do.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Kate_N said:

I think, in the ballet world, as in all aspects of life, people can say things. You don't have to listen, and you don't have to take any notice, or let it affect you. Why does this affect you so much? Just do what you need to do.

Now that we are a few years away from that time, I can understand how it’s easy to say to people not to let things affect them.  However, I also remember how, during that time, it’s such a stressful, manic time - emotions are running high, stress levels are probably off the scale, parents are worried about how their DCs are feeling both physically and emotionally, it’s such a surreal moment. Even the little things can affect parents and their DCs and whilst it’s easy to remind yourself to do just your thing and not worry about anything or anyone else, in practice this is extremely hard.  For example, I remember there were years when DCs already offered their first choice school (and accepted!) would still attend finals for other schools. This is fine if these other schools have a waitlist, not so much if they don’t, especially since there’s always the handful of kids who are going for a full sweep of the vocational schools regardless of whether they’ve already received an offer from their top choice. I can just imagine how other parents feel at that very moment, how it seems very unfair. I can therefore sympathise with what the poster said about feeling put off by parents who are vocal about their dislike for a certain school and yet they’re at the audition. It does not make sense. 

• Like 7

It seems sometimes to be a pre-emptive strike, so that if the child isn’t offered a place then the child and parent can say that they wouldn’t have accepted a place in any event? 
(We also saw a similar strategy in terms of associate places, although that was more of a ‘we dodged a bullet in not being offered a place because we now realise that said associate scheme is no good’. )

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Legseleven said:

It seems sometimes to be a pre-emptive strike, so that if the child isn’t offered a place then the child and parent can say that they wouldn’t have accepted a place in any event? 
(We also saw a similar strategy in terms of associate places, although that was more of a ‘we dodged a bullet in not being offered a place because we now realise that said associate scheme is no good’. )

My personal favourite is “Oh, we think s/he is too young to go away for school. We’re just going for an associates place”.  Fast forward to March, big public announcement….

Edited by Neverdancedjustamum
  • Like 3

There’s one thing attending auditions if haven’t had a firm offer yet from any schools applied for or are undecided which is favoured school etc but it does seem pretty odd ..to me anyway …that somebody who has already had a firm offer from the school they most definitely want to go to should then carry on auditioning for other schools  

Surely getting extra audition experience is only relevant if have not been offered a place anywhere or not for a preferred school at least 🤔

Regards to original poster of course it’s good to find out as much as you can about a school before sending your child there but in the end if the child is keen to go and successfully gained admission the proof of the pudding will only be in the eating you just have to give the child (having been behind them so far in this venture) the chance to see how they will find it. You just can never tell how they will react to the actual situation …..as long as discussion lines are open if the child does become unhappy….they may really love it too!!! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2

They either secretly are holding out for a place they don’t think they’ll get or they are collecting offers to boast about on social media (or their school wants them to). In the end though any places they don’t take go to someone else who has attended the audition. The peuple to feel sorry for are those who just missed getting to the finals and are out of the running. 

• Like 6

But you don't really get the feel of a school until you audition. Your first choice may get pushed down the list of preferences by another school which is a better fit even if its audition is a later date. So I think it better to attend all the auditions even if you already have an offer!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Pas de Quatre said:

But you don't really get the feel of a school until you audition. Your first choice may get pushed down the list of preferences by another school which is a better fit even if its audition is a later date. So I think it better to attend all the auditions even if you already have an offer!

I totally agree and this was our personal experience. 

4 hours ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

Now that we are a few years away from that time, I can understand how it’s easy to say to people not to let things affect them.  However, I also remember how, during that time, it’s such a stressful, manic time - emotions are running high, stress levels are probably off the scale, parents are worried about how their DCs are feeling both physically and emotionally, it’s such a surreal moment. Even the little things can affect parents and their DCs and whilst it’s easy to remind yourself to do just your thing and not worry about anything or anyone else, in practice this is extremely hard.  For example, I remember there were years when DCs already offered their first choice school (and accepted!) would still attend finals for other schools. This is fine if these other schools have a waitlist, not so much if they don’t, especially since there’s always the handful of kids who are going for a full sweep of the vocational schools regardless of whether they’ve already received an offer from their top choice. I can just imagine how other parents feel at that very moment, how it seems very unfair. I can therefore sympathise with what the poster said about feeling put off by parents who are vocal about their dislike for a certain school and yet they’re at the audition. It does not make sense. 

agree with this massively!!

• Like 1

People do and say strange things for all kinds of reasons. It's a bit like the student who says they aren't revising for an exam then get the top mark. Maybe they are trying to dissuade others from working hard so they look better, maybe they want to impress people by letting everyone think that they achieved their result by sheer brilliance but more often I suspect it's because they are under pressure - maybe they have always been top before - and are scared of failing, so are putting their explanations in in advance.

I think you get this kind of thing in all kinds of competitive situations. I'm currently seeing similar behaviour around University admissions amongst my youngest's peer group and their parents. Of course they don't  really want to go to Oxford anyway, it's just a nice day out.

And sometimes it's genuine. Sometimes parents/children are unsure. They don't think they want a particular school but feel they should look. Or they want to see where their child sits in the great scheme of things. Particularly if you're from somewhere where your child is a big fish in a small pond it can be really hard to know whether they really do have potential or not. Or there is some kind of external pressure that is hard to resist. I experienced this with one of my sons and his sport. He was invited to the trials for a  high level training programme. I really couldn't see how we could make it work, given the location, times, our other commitments etc but only a few even got asked to trials and I didn't want to be the big bad mother who didn't support her child. So we went, and all the time I was genuinely hoping he wasn't picked. It was a risk, but it paid off. He got down to the last 8 for 4 places so could go home with his head held high and I breathed a sigh of relief. There will be parents at vocational school auditions feeling the same I am sure. There are often lots of complicated emotions going on.

But in the end, it doesn't really matter what other people are doing anyway. Best to just focus on showing yourself at your best, and  then what will be will be. I had this conversation with my youngest re University only this week, pointing out that even if it were possible to "fool" admissions tutors, who would want to be on a course where they are not a good fit anyway? Imagine the strain of trying to keep up for years if you didn't genuinely have the attributes that are required. There is no value in being anything other than your authentic self in my opinion. Game playing rarely pays off long term. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

First, congratulations.

If I am to consider my DC accepting place at lower school that would cost me 43k p/annum, I would be researching what is the success rate that the leavers will be joining their Upper School.

Same as you would watch the success rate of graduates leaving Upper Schools.

At the current rate, my money would be better spent somewhere else where the training is much of a higher standard.

If I am to repeat our ballet journey with my DC, the main focus would remain unchanged and that is to give my DC the best possible quality training outside of vocational school during the primary school years so the child is well equipped to stand out at Upper School auditions which are end of the day much more important in dancers life.

Save your money for when they are older, as the current trend is to continue to finance the training and post graduate programs way beyond graduation even for the most talented children.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, FlexyNexy said:

First, congratulations.

If I am to consider my DC accepting place at lower school that would cost me 43k p/annum, I would be researching what is the success rate that the leavers will be joining their Upper School.

Same as you would watch the success rate of graduates leaving Upper Schools.

At the current rate, my money would be better spent somewhere else where the training is much of a higher standard.

If I am to repeat our ballet journey with my DC, the main focus would remain unchanged and that is to give my DC the best possible quality training outside of vocational school during the primary school years so the child is well equipped to stand out at Upper School auditions which are end of the day much more important in dancers life.

Save your money for when they are older, as the current trend is to continue to finance the training and post graduate programs way beyond graduation even for the most talented children.

But doesn’t everyone get funding ?

On 21/03/2023 at 08:55, DanceDaddy said:

Good morning all,

Our child has recently been offered a place at WL in year 7. They want to go, but rather than go into this with eyes wide shut, we wanted to do some research and learn from the past experiences of others. Looks like we just missed the boat and a recent thread has been removed by the moderators for one reason or another. I am a member of many forums and have never in my life known for a thread to be deleted. Locked yes, but deleted? All the forum needs to do is state that any opinions shared on the forum are not of their own and are of the members. Forums are very useful source of impartial information and was hoping to learn here. 

Can someone give us a little flavour as to what to expect please? How did they child cope with boarding? Was the school helpful in settling them in etc?

For £34k a year, the dorms are basic to say the least. The toilet in the dorms was covered in #%^* when we did a tour a few weeks and that’s when the school knew that  prospective parents were coming in. Any cleaners? 

If the forum doesn’t allow discussion on RBS, which is shocking I’d this is the case, can someone just DM me please?

Many thanks I’m advance.

DD

Perhaps take a look at the recent RBS thread detailing the safeguarding investigations into WL if you want to go in with eyes wide open.  

Following years of concerns around safeguarding issues at a number of UK vocational schools and the training offered- you only have to look at the RBS Upper school intake and wonder why so few from Lower School gain a place- if the training was good enough then surely they would progress post 16?

We opted to keep our DD at home.  She is now auditioning for 16+ training with offers from Tring, NBS, Rambert and  finals for Central and RCS, she opted out of finals for ENBS and took the decision not to apply to RBS or Elmhurst read into that what you will ;)

More than one road to get them where they want to be and I really do think the days of thinking that the RBS is the pinnacle of training is over IMO

We’re happy with the path we took and have a confident, well rounded, happy DD 😊

• Like 8

Firstly congratulations.

We were the first cohort through the new way of a three year programme with RBS at WL. Its not what we were promised, nor what we signed up for but hey ho.  This isn't the place to discuss it but if you want more details PM me. Despite all that my daughter loved her time at WL, she has made friends for life, its given her that independence and maturity she wouldn't have if she had stayed at home. 

Just go into it with your eyes wide open. We successfully auditioned at other schools for a year 10 place - boarding places were the main issue - there are no boarding places left! Just be aware of that. Mine is now at Kings which offer a homestay facility and is thriving there. Its fabulous - if you can get your head around academic learning through oxbridge and not using traditional classes. 

RBS is the dream for so many and dancing in the company is a bigger dream with limited pathways into it. The training to get one there isn't straightforward and there are numerous debates on the level of training at WL. If I knew then what I know now would I have sent her? probably as it was her dream but I wouldn't have followed the rules - I would have got the extra coaching, done extra strength and conditioning, gone for every intensive available. 

Does this school fit with whats right for your child? Are you ok going into it knowing you won't have a place in year 10? Are you prepared for doing the audition round again in year 9? As a vocational student they are either flying high or feeling low - are you at home prepared for that rollarcoaster? 

• Like 23

2 hours ago, Tiaramum said:

Firstly congratulations.

We were the first cohort through the new way of a three year programme with RBS at WL. Its not what we were promised, nor what we signed up for but hey ho.  This isn't the place to discuss it but if you want more details PM me. Despite all that my daughter loved her time at WL, she has made friends for life, its given her that independence and maturity she wouldn't have if she had stayed at home. 

Just go into it with your eyes wide open. We successfully auditioned at other schools for a year 10 place - boarding places were the main issue - there are no boarding places left! Just be aware of that. Mine is now at Kings which offer a homestay facility and is thriving there. Its fabulous - if you can get your head around academic learning through oxbridge and not using traditional classes. 

RBS is the dream for so many and dancing in the company is a bigger dream with limited pathways into it. The training to get one there isn't straightforward and there are numerous debates on the level of training at WL. If I knew then what I know now would I have sent her? probably as it was her dream but I wouldn't have followed the rules - I would have got the extra coaching, done extra strength and conditioning, gone for every intensive available. 

Does this school fit with whats right for your child? Are you ok going into it knowing you won't have a place in year 10? Are you prepared for doing the audition round again in year 9? As a vocational student they are either flying high or feeling low - are you at home prepared for that rollarcoaster? 

I didn’t realise Kings didn’t do traditional academics. How does it work then? Are the students expected to self study, so it’s basically home education but away from home? 

On 23/03/2023 at 11:45, Kerfuffle said:

Yes, I agree. Although surely chances are you know after one audition how you feel usually ? I certainly wouldn’t bother looking further if my top choice was already in the bag ! 

The thing is though, that although most of the schools spread out the preliminary rounds, they tend to hold their final (or funding) auditions very close together, so you may not have heard whether you are successful at one before you go to the next. 

9 hours ago, Millicent said:

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask this question, but am I right in thinking that a lot more UK boys are kept on at WL than UK girls? I'm wondering why this is, as surely the training/selection process is the same for both? 

Demand & Supply

• Like 2

17 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

The thing is though, that although most of the schools spread out the preliminary rounds, they tend to hold their final (or funding) auditions very close together, so you may not have heard whether you are successful at one before you go to the next. 

Absolutely - if you don’t know the outcome that is totally understandable. I was only meaning those who already knew they had places, as someone mentioned earlier.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kerfuffle said:

Absolutely - if you don’t know the outcome that is totally understandable. I was only meaning those who already knew they had places, as someone mentioned earlier.  

DCs friend didn’t go to other finals after accepting WL but have seen this year at least one DC announce accepting WL and then attend further finals and subsequently announce three offers.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PrancingMum said:

DCs friend didn’t go to other finals after accepting WL but have seen this year at least one DC announce accepting WL and then attend further finals and subsequently announce three offers.

Exactly this, what is the point ? 

If you’re referring to my DD, she was offered a Tring place back in November after the first audition. She went to Elmhurst finals on 8th and 9th March and White Lodge on 10th. She didn’t attend Tring funding audition. Not sure what we were supposed to do differently? Although Elmhurst finals were first, the results came out last.

Edited by RachH

30 minutes ago, RachH said:

If you’re referring to my DD, she was offered a Tring place back in November after the first audition. She went to Elmhurst finals on 8th and 9th March and White Lodge on 10th. She didn’t attend Tring funding audition. Not sure what we were supposed to do differently? Although Elmhurst finals were first, the results came out last.

I doubt this is personal. Obviously if you don’t know the result then it can’t be about you! 

I don't know, but I suspect people are referring to DC who got an offer from Tring and didn't need funding, who then went to auditions at other schools knowing that they would take Tring over those schools, perhaps Hammond or Elmhurst?

Or perhaps referring to what has happened in previous years, as Elmhurst and WL aren't normally as close together as they were this year and often WL final results came out before the Elmhurst audition. It would seem a bit immoral to me if DC who had accepted WL carried on attending finals at other schools just to be able to show off their results on social media, knowing that it would affect other children's chances of getting into a school that they really wanted, or getting in on the waitlist rather than being "first choice".

• Like 1