Birmingham Hippodrome, any tips or advice?

We have fairly recently moved to Oxfordshire. We go to ROH fairly often and having lived and worked in London for a long time I know my way around this and other theatres and their surrounding areas. But I’m now only a 90 minute drive from Birmingham Hippodrome according to Google maps, and I’d like to go there to see BRB. Are there any good tips regarding seats, sight lines, sound lines (?) and parking? Also, what about food and drink - either inside the theatre or nearby. I know it’s only Birmingham not Caracas but I’d be grateful for any suggestions 

thank you

Hippodrome's a nice place.  I usually go for the rear of the circle in an aisle seat because it's cheaper and I'm parsimonious by nature.  I've never had any problems with sightlines as the rake is quite good and I can see and hear everything.  I think the view is probably better further forward but I've never sat there.  

I go by train from London so can't advise on parking.  The Hippodrome is on the edge of Chinatown so it's quite good for restaurants.  There's a food hall (rather like a canteen) with a range of different Asian stalls (called the Asia Asia foodhall) about 8 mins away and you can walk around the stalls and pick your favourite dish (Chinese, Korean, Malaysian etc).  I liked it because it was varied and lively and full of locals.  

I echo everything Tango Dancer says. I have occasionally used the car parks. There are several large ones nearby which are signposted. I assume you’d drive from M40/ M42 - it’s a straightforward journey into the City and the Hippodrome is on the south side, so you don’t have to travel across the Centre.

I always find the Hippodrome a very welcoming theatre to visit.

I always try to get the front row of the stalls (row E for BRB) but some people find it a little low.  I wouldn't go on the second row (row F) but I was in G on Wednesday and it was OK.  The side aisle seats in the stalls are excellent (seat numbers 12 and 36).  The sightlines are good wherever I have sat in the stalls.  I have only been in the circle twice, when I first started travelling to Birmingham, and then on the very back row where there is a splendid overview but you need bins if you want to see expressions.

I use the Arcadian car park which is about a 2 minute walk from the theatre (but it's very hard to get onto the ground floor and there isn't a lift.  There is one floor below ground level and one above.  I went on the upper floor once and found it very bizarre!).  If you are going to an evening performance and you arrive after 5pm there is a fixed rate of £7.50.  On Thursday I arrived around 12:30 and left around 22:30 and it was £15.  I believe, unless prices have dropped, that it is one of the more reasonably priced car parks.

As far as eating goes, there is a sort of cafe in the Hippodrome but it's not too exciting.  Grand Central on top of New Street Station is a good bet with both restaurants and cafes - it's only a few minutes walk away.  Opposite the theatre there is a newish Greek restaurant called Mythos which is very nice but not budget (the prices have gone up considerably since I was there before Christmas).  If you go, allow plenty of time and be aware that the portions are HUGE!  I like James Daal which is also part of the Arcadian Centre and there is a Las Iguanas there.

One of my favourite places to eat is the Centenary Lounge at Moor St Station.  They do sandwiches, cakes, soup and the afternoon tea is splendid and very good value.  

• Like 1

I parked in the Arcadian car park.  It is very close 1-2 minutes walk.  And had additional security people when I returned to my car after midnight.  Very reassuring and helpful. 

There are many Chinese and Japanese restaurants surrounding the Hippodrome.  My favourite food.  

I sat in H36 (side aisle of stalls).  Great view. That’s row 4 after the orchestra pit. The person next to me suffered because she was short and the person in front was tall.  It was fine when he changed seat to end of his row.

• Like 2

I echo the recommendation for the Arcadian car park, as far as I'm aware it's cheaper compared to others in the area (first time I went to see a show in Birmingham my Great-Aunt recommended a horribly overpriced car park to my Mother- it's still a sore spot 9 years later. Thankfully that car park is now gone). 

I've previously sat in the front row of the stalls, the front middle of the circle and a restricted view seat in the circle (to one side). I found all three to be sufficient for what I paid for them. As a tall person I found the stalls front row to be rather spacious compared to other theatres I've been to, and obviously had a brilliant sight line. The front middle of the circle is okay too, and even the restricted view seat barely restricted anything, and for that particular production it was £20 cheaper than the one next to it. The sound has always been fine no matter where I've sat. 

• Like 2

I have been to the Hippodrome three times for ballet, travelling from the southeast by train, and it is fast becoming a top rated venue for me in terms of its ease for visitors. It’s very easy to get to from Birmingham New Street station -literally 5 minutes’ walk down (most of the minutes due to observing traffic lights and road rules). I don’t drive as I’m too far and if my friends from Birmingham meet me there they take the bus in (sorry that’s not much help.) I’ve seen a multi-storey car park at Birmingham New Street station and there’s a car park near the Holiday Inn City Center hotel which is just one level outdoors (not covered) with a barrier for paying. No idea how good or bad both are other than that they are very near the theatre (5 minute walk, shorter if you walk briskly).

There are restaurants and pubs (serving good pub meals like fish and chips) in front of, next to, and across the theatre. It’s like the West End but better, because it’s the only theatre around, unlike ROH where the restaurants and brasseries also have theatregoers from 10 other shows attending, and everyone else wants to be served first and served quickly! I enjoyed the Chinese restaurants we’ve tried so far opposite the theatre, and it’s literally just 1-2 minutes’ walk to the foyer after your meal. Quick service and very reasonably priced for excellent cooking. Aside from Chinese, Malaysian, Vietnamese and pub meals, the Bullring and Grand Central at the New Street Station have eateries with lots of different cuisines to choose from (5-6 min walk away).

With regards seating in the theatre, the website is very helpful and accurate about which bits are restricted view. I’ve sat as far back as row R in the Circle or as close as second row from the front of the Circle, and the view is still good and doesn’t feel too far away as it’s a smaller theatre than ROH or Coliseum. Sightlines are excellent, like the Coliseum. The rake in the circle is good - you don’t get obstructed by tall patrons. Leg room for tall people pretty good for front to row R of Circle; can’t remember if I’ve sat further back than R.  I haven’t sat in the Stalls yet as I like to see patterns on the stage in the choreography as well as being able to see different dancers in the back rows, but have had no complaints about these from friends. Probably wouldn’t buy box seats as they do look too restricted (missing the sides) but they are quite close to the stage if you like close ups of facial expressions. Also, the seating in the Hippodrome gets a thumbs up from me in that unlike many Amphitheatre seats that cost more at ROH, the seats have arm rests so you don’t feel squashed up against strangers (or they onto you). 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

I have been to the Hippodrome three times for ballet, travelling from the southeast by train, and it is fast becoming a top rated venue for me in terms of its ease for visitors. It’s very easy to get to from Birmingham New Street station -literally 5 minutes’ walk down (most of the minutes due to observing traffic lights and road rules). I don’t drive as I’m too far and if my friends from Birmingham meet me there they take the bus in (sorry that’s not much help.) I’ve seen a multi-storey car park at Birmingham New Street station and there’s a car park near the Holiday Inn City Center hotel which is just one level outdoors (not covered) with a barrier for paying. No idea how good or bad both are other than that they are very near the theatre (5 minute walk, shorter if you walk briskly).

Sometimes I go for a night and stay over.  You didn't ask about accommodation but if you want to stay overnight the Holiday Inn isn't bad and is convenient.  The Radisson next door has nicer rooms so if you have a choice I'd stay there.  

I used to live in Birmingham so have been to the Hippodrome more times than I care to remember. I usually sit in the stalls and get a gangway seat on one of the side blocks. You're more or less guaranteed a clear view across the aisle and only miss a small amount of the action. If you have someone with you their view may be obstructed if there is someone tall sitting in front but because you're looking at the stage at a slight angle you're looking between the people in front. If you sit in the front row you can't see the dancer's feet properly. There is reasonable leg room in most of the stalls seats unlike the circle where it is more restricted, especially row A. Against this the view from the circle is excellent as there is a very steep rake. The rake in the stalls is not good until you get to the back few rows. As regards parking beware that Birmingham has a clean air zone charge for entering the city centre. It was £8 when I had to pay it but may have gone up. I now usually travel by train with New Street station being a very short walk away (although the shortest route involves a set of very steep steps, there is another rote which is flat but it takes slightly longer). Moor Street station is also an easy walk of about 10 minutes.

• Thanks 1

I used to go by train from the south east for a matinee - avoiding having to stay overnight - and could combine it with lunch in the Hippodrome restaurant which was always good value - and you could return to your table in the interval for coffee etc.

2 hours ago, jm365 said:

I used to go by train from the south east for a matinee - avoiding having to stay overnight - and could combine it with lunch in the Hippodrome restaurant which was always good value - and you could return to your table in the interval for coffee etc.

The restaurant is no longer there.

• 11 months later...
2 minutes ago, Aruna S said:

I'm very excited to see that Fille is scheduled for the next season, it's one of my favourite ballets. It'll have to be a flying visit since I already have a lengthy stay in London in November when Regent's Opera is staging the Ring. Currently pondering whether to go to Birmingham, which I've never visited, or stick to Sadler's Wells. Any advice on the Hippodrome vs Sadler's Wells, and on possible accomodation in Birmingham would be very much appreciated.

If you have never been to Brum, it is worth a visit.  Although the area around the Hippodrome is pretty awful, if you walk up to the older part and by the canals it is very nice.  I have always stayed at the Holiday Inn when I go to a show;  it is pretty much across the street from the Hippodrome and only a ten-minute walk from the station.  There are some decent restaurants near the theatre; I usually go to the Greek one right opposite and it is very nice.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Aruna S said:

I'm very excited to see that Fille is scheduled for the next season, it's one of my favourite ballets. It'll have to be a flying visit since I already have a lengthy stay in London in November when Regent's Opera is staging the Ring. Currently pondering whether to go to Birmingham, which I've never visited, or stick to Sadler's Wells. Any advice on the Hippodrome vs Sadler's Wells, and on possible accomodation in Birmingham would be very much appreciated.

Birmingham is quite a fun place to visit and stay.  I wouldn't agree the area around the Hippodrome is awful, I mean it's the edge of Chinatown and there are some quite good Chinese restaurants.  Hippodrome is quite a pleasant theatre.  I usually sit further back and the view is always decent.  

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn, the Radisson and the New Street Station Premier Inn (which is about 12 minutes walk) depending on prices.  All are fine.  Last time I stayed at the Premier Inn and went to Tim Hortons for breakfast because I think their maple pancakes are fun.  For Sleeping Beauty I'm doing that again because it pleased me and meant I could get my train back easily.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Aruna S said:

That's very impressive that you are willing to travel for BRB, @Aruna S! I like both venues. For me it would come down to which city/theatre had the casts I like. But if both sets of casts are equally good, these are my considerations....

1) Theatre buildings and sightlines- both are fairly modern buildings, not "luxury" or "plush" type venues like ROH but efficient and clean, they do the job. Both have lots of good seats with good sightlines. So very similar.

2) Location and convenience- for me Birmingham wins thus category. If you are not a local but travelling in by train, the Birmingham New Street station is about 5-8 mins walk away from the Hippodrome, 3 good hotels (Holiday Inn, Radisson, Premier Inn) and an impressive range of restaurants literally opposite the theatre - from Chinese to burgers to Greek to Japanese etc. It is so convenient! (Although ROH for example is near restaurants, most of the restaurants are more than 10mins away, some are further and only a tiny number are within 5mins' walk.) The Hippodrome has the best restaurant layout out of all the ballet companies' home theatres around the world I've attended! It feels like the restaurants are an extension of the theatre!

Sadler's Wells has about 5-6 restaurants nearby (1-6 mins walk) which is great if you like them (vegan, gluten free, Southeast Asian, fish and chips, pub..I do like the first three). For more choices it would have to be Upper Street or Exmouth Market (give yourself 20-35 minutes depending on whether you're taking taxi, bus or walking). Nearest hotels for Sadler's Wells are very far away. But it you have already reserved a hotel for the operas, then that's not an issue.

Sadler's Wells of course has the history of being the theatre which is the "parent theatre" of both RB and BRB- their creators (de Valois, Ashton, Wright) and dancers started out there before settling into ROH & Birmingham Hippodrome respectively. If any dance fan has never watched a dance performance at Sadler's Wells they should do so at least once. I've even spotted Natalia Makarova watching performances there. 

With BRB at either venue/city you would have a great time. Hope that helps you choose!

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Emeralds said:

That's very impressive that you are willing to travel for BRB, @Aruna S! I like both venues. For me it would come down to which city/theatre had the casts I like. But if both sets of casts are equally good, these are my considerations....

1) Theatre buildings and sightlines- both are fairly modern buildings, not "luxury" or "plush" type venues like ROH but efficient and clean, they do the job. Both have lots of good seats with good sightlines. So very similar.

2) Location and convenience- for me Birmingham wins thus category. If you are not a local but travelling in by train, the Birmingham New Street station is about 5-8 mins walk away from the Hippodrome, 3 good hotels (Holiday Inn, Radisson, Premier Inn) and an impressive range of restaurants literally opposite the theatre - from Chinese to burgers to Greek to Japanese etc. It is so convenient! (Although ROH for example is near restaurants, most of the restaurants are more than 10mins away, some are further and only a tiny number are within 5mins' walk.) The Hippodrome has the best restaurant layout out of all the ballet companies' home theatres around the world I've attended! It feels like the restaurants are an extension of the theatre!

Sadler's Wells has about 5-6 restaurants nearby (1-6 mins walk) which is great if you like them (vegan, gluten free, Southeast Asian, fish and chips, pub..I do like the first three). For more choices it would have to be Upper Street or Exmouth Market (give yourself 20-35 minutes depending on whether you're taking taxi, bus or walking). Nearest hotels for Sadler's Wells are very far away. But it you have already reserved a hotel for the operas, then that's not an issue.

Sadler's Wells of course has the history of being the theatre which is the "parent theatre" of both RB and BRB- their creators (de Valois, Ashton, Wright) and dancers started out there before settling into ROH & Birmingham Hippodrome respectively. If any dance fan has never watched a dance performance at Sadler's Wells they should do so at least once. I've even spotted Natalia Makarova watching performances there. 

With BRB at either venue/city you would have a great time. Hope that helps you choose!

Thank you so much for this detailed response, Emeralds, and thank you also, Sim and Tango Dancer. This is such a wonderful and helpful forum! I've been to Sadler's Wells, for Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake a few years ago, but have completely forgotten what the theatre was like. The Hippodrome looks like it's worth a visit, and it's an opportunity to venture out of London.

I'll be flying to Birmingham, probably from Milan where Die Kameliendame is on at La Scala the day before, but New Street station will be useful for the airport train. I've booked Premier Inn which had a very good rate, and hope I can get a ticket when sales open. 

Edited by Aruna S
  • Like 1

@Aruna S I love the Hippodrome!  I like to sit on the front row of the stalls (row E for BRB) but if that is not your taste I would not go on the second row as you can get seriously impeded by big heads.  4 or 5 rows back is fine.

The Mythos Taverna over the road from the theatre is excellent.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

@Aruna S I love the Hippodrome!  I like to sit on the front row of the stalls (row E for BRB) but if that is not your taste I would not go on the second row as you can get seriously impeded by big heads.  4 or 5 rows back is fine.

The Mythos Taverna over the road from the theatre is excellent.

Just to say I usually sit towards the back of the circle because I am parsimonious by nature and don't like spending a lot of money on tickets when I have to travel.  I've never had a problem with the view.  The rake is ok and while you can't see the faces as well as you can further forward, it's never been a bad view.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tango Dancer said:

Just to say I usually sit towards the back of the circle because I am parsimonious by nature and don't like spending a lot of money on tickets when I have to travel.  I've never had a problem with the view.  The rake is ok and while you can't see the faces as well as you can further forward, it's never been a bad view.  

I'm of a similar mind and agree with this, and that the view is quite distant, so that might not suit everyone.

One gripe: I haven't looked at Hippodrome prices recently but it was always my experience that they start relatively high for ballet and opera (upper end of the £20s), compared to other theatres where you could see the same show.

• Like 2

Yes the Hippodrome isn't that cheap.  I'm towards the back of the circle for Sleeping Beauty and the ticket was £32.  I would expect similar for La Fille.  Still I enjoy the experience and think it's worth what I pay.  

• Like 1

Since I'm subject to the Big Head/Tall person curse wherever I go, I avoid the Stalls and always try to be in the balcony front row, or where there's a good rake like the ROH amphitheatre. Looking at BRB's prices for Sleeping Beauty I think I'd probably go for the Circle, where I see currently available seats in Row Q are £67. That's about as high as I would go, hopefully there will be cheaper seats available.

59 minutes ago, Aruna S said:

Since I'm subject to the Big Head/Tall person curse wherever I go, I avoid the Stalls and always try to be in the balcony front row, or where there's a good rake like the ROH amphitheatre. Looking at BRB's prices for Sleeping Beauty I think I'd probably go for the Circle, where I see currently available seats in Row Q are £67. That's about as high as I would go, hopefully there will be cheaper seats available.

I'm shocked.  I know I got a subscription offer but I payed £49.80 each for 2 tickets on the front row of the stalls.  I am going on a Thursday when the tickets may be cheaper than the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/02/2023 at 12:24, Jan McNulty said:

The restaurant is no longer there.

https://bookings.birminghamhippodrome.com/aux/the-circle-lounge

"Make the most of your next visit to Birmingham Hippodrome at our brand-new restaurant The Circle Lounge. Just a few steps from your seats in the auditorium, head there for tasty pre-show menus, private toilet facilities, and dedicated waiter service throughout. 

Join us during the day for either our new Lunch Menu or a beautiful Afternoon Tea alongside your matinee performance. We open 2 hours before curtain up with a selection of delicious food and drinks. In the interval, return to your table where any pre-ordered drinks and sweet treats will be waiting for you.

Formerly our Circle Restaurant, The Circle Lounge is newly refurbished and features a brand-new dining concept by West Midlands based company Tutto Apposto. Headed by renowned Chef, Angelina Adamo, the menus are influenced by Angelina’s Mediterranean background and her family’s approach to sharing food and great memories around the table.

The Circle Lounge is your new place to catch up with friends, family and loved ones in the theatre. Can't wait to see you soon!

Lunch Menu
Main Courses from £15

Asparagus + Ricotta Frittata, Peas, Pickles, Mint + Radish Salad [v, gf]
Baked Aubergine, Vegan Feta, Pomegranate, Red Onion, Hummus Flatbread [ve, gf*]
Smoked Haddock Fishcake, Hen’s Egg, Pea + Pickle Salad
Chicken Milanese, Orzo, Tenderstem Broccoli, Preserved Lemon + Caper Salad

Sides
House Focaccia, Salted Chips, Garden Salad,
Roast New Potatoes

Sweet Treats
Dessert of the Day – Today’s Bake
Espresso Tiramisu
White Chocolate + Rhubarb Tiramisu

Platters & Cheese Plate are also available 

Afternoon Tea
£29.50 each

Coronation Chicken Sandwich
Goats Cheese + Fig Tart
Prawn Cocktail Sandwich
Cucumber + Cream Cheese Sandwich

Buttermilk Scones
Clotted Cream + Seasonal Jam

Cranberry, Custard + Gingerbread Gateaux
Chocolate Orange Roulade
Treacle Tart

Served with Taylors of Harrogate Tea or Coffee

We aim to cater for all dietary requirements so please ensure to add a note to your booking if there’s anything we should know."

• Thanks 1