New ROH Streaming Service

Guest oncnp

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 08/09/2023 at 15:13, Richard LH said:

Akane's "Spotlight" is now available to watch. She is so lovely to listen to, let alone to watch performing!

Indeed.
She mentioned the Dante Project, although her role wasn't a main character one - I'm not sure if I saw her do it that many times!
I have a hope that she might be doing the Beatrice role this year...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, AnticaFiamma said:

Are the "Spotlight"s the only new content they are uploading? If so, big ykes

They have also added several of Joseph Toonga's works and insights as well as Kyle Abraham’s The Weathering

14 minutes ago, oncnp said:

They have also added several of Joseph Toonga's works and insights as well as Kyle Abraham’s The Weathering

I unsubscribed after they uploaded the wonderful Ashton tryptic which is pretty much the only interesting thing they have posted in ages. I was wondering if I should re-subscribe but I think I'll wait for them to upload something meatier.

17 minutes ago, AnticaFiamma said:

I unsubscribed after they uploaded the wonderful Ashton tryptic which is pretty much the only interesting thing they have posted in ages. I was wondering if I should re-subscribe but I think I'll wait for them to upload something meatier.

"Coming soon"

• LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE (2022)
  • INSIGHTS: BALLET BLACK
  • THE DANTE PROJECT (2021)
  • COPPÉLIA (2019)

Edited by oncnp

48 minutes ago, alison said:

There's a World Ballet Day offer on this, but I didn't quite catch the URL.

Nor me but it's a £1.00 for a month. I think it's a code. But not sure how that differs from the Subscribe for Free offer which comes up automatically on the ROH website.

• Like 2

Just back from an exhilarating visit to Stuttgart, to see two further performances of Stuttgart Ballet's tribute to Cranko on the 50th anniversary of his death - Initials RBME and MacMillan's Requiem.  The audience sat respectfully throughout Requiem without a hint of applause until they erupted at the end.  I hope our audiences will be equally self-controlled in March.  

The Stuttgart company are on sparkling form and the soloists came close to the original 1970s casts.  Elisa Badenes and Friedemann Vogel were electrifying in the third movement pas de deux.  I also went to the first two performances of this programme in July and it was thrilling to see Birgit Keil, Marcia Haydee and Egon Madsen come on stage at the end of the performance, although sadly Richard Cragun is no longer with us.

So imagine my pleasure, on arriving back from the airport, having switched on Stuttgart Ballet's contribution to World Ballet Day, to find a complete stage rehearsal of Initials RBME filmed a few days ago.  Tamas Detrich, the director, calls it a masterpiece of neo-classical choreography - and my companion said at the end of the first performance, "Now that is what I call choreography".  Don't miss the company, either.  They are in such good form.

https://www.google.com/search?q=world+ballet+day+stuttgart+ballet&oq=world+ballet+day+stuttgart+ballet&aqs=chrome..69i57.5317j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:2b3d3c07,vid:gDSo0lP9Bxo,st:0

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Sarah Lamb Spotlight and Nutcracker 2022 added (Fumi Kaneko, William Bracewell, Sae Maeda and Joseph Sissens )

Yay! I'm off to watch Nutcracker! Thank you. I would have logged on and eventually found it! 😀

• Like 1

I've just been sent an invite to test the new ROH Livestream feature on the ROH Stream channel - email contents pasted below.

Perhaps this is paving the way to being able to live stream performances from your TV, maybe replacing or in alongside the Cinema Relays? 

As a subscriber of Royal Opera House Stream, I’d like to invite you to take part in a trial of our new livestreaming feature. 

We will be livestreaming Insights: Photographing The Dante Project with Mary McCartney on 30 November 2023 at 7.30pm BST to invited audiences on Royal Opera House Stream. If you are selected to take part, you will be able to watch the performance free of charge on a laptop, desktop, tablet, mobile device, or using one of our TV apps. The performance will then be available to watch on the platform for 72 hours. 

In return, I will send you a feedback form following the livestream that will ask about your experience and help our team make improvements. This should take no more than 15 minutes of your time. You will also be able to report any technical issues or share ideas for improvement in real-time on the Royal Opera House Stream website. 

If you would like to participate, please fill out this brief form with your details (less than five minutes). We appreciate your help! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, EVWS said:

I've just been sent an invite to test the new ROH Livestream feature on the ROH Stream channel - email contents pasted below.

Perhaps this is paving the way to being able to live stream performances from your TV, maybe replacing or in alongside the Cinema Relays? 

As a subscriber of Royal Opera House Stream, I’d like to invite you to take part in a trial of our new livestreaming feature. 

We will be livestreaming Insights: Photographing The Dante Project with Mary McCartney on 30 November 2023 at 7.30pm BST to invited audiences on Royal Opera House Stream. 

A cinema relay replacement would be great as there's no cinema in the US. What wouldn't be so great is if the ROH moves the Insights to streaming and off YouTube 

I very much hope that the cinema relays wouldn't be replaced; they presumably reach a much wider audience than those paying for the ROH Stream, and watching on a big screen is a much better experience than watching on a TV or laptop.

• Like 10

From a French point of view I would prefer a web streaming, as the ROH never managed to deploy a significant network of cinema broadcasts in France. Actually, at the time the ROH was launching its cinema broadcast years ago, the market was already duopolistic btw the Met and the Paris Opera (and the Bolshoi before the war), a huge competition that did not let any space for the ROH.

Today only very few venues in provincial cities stream Royal Ballet performances, and two small venues in Paris but usually weeks, if not months after the performance actually took place (so that sometimes the DVD is already available before the cinema display!).

On a pay-per-view basis, let's say around £5, for sure I would screen almost all ROH performances on the web.

On the contrary, though I am a Friend of the ROH I did not subscribe to the current streaming service, as I don't think I would stream several evenings every month, so a subscription formula is not for me. A pay-per-view would be much more adapted.

But I know this is wishful thinking 😉

Edited by Paco
  • Like 1

When we used to get Glyndebourne livestreamed to my local cinema (which was lovely) it used also to be on YouTube free and remained there for I think a month. I wonder how the cinemas felt about that? I watched 'live' at the cinema and then again online.

My local was always packed for the popular ballets (we had the Bolshoi too, Sunday afternoons) and mostly the opera from the ROH (though not so much Glyndebourne) and also musicals and NT etc but it appears many cinemas are not full and are cinemas losing money?  I don't have a clue how the finance of livestreaming works. 

14 hours ago, Ondine said:

My local was always packed for the popular ballets (we had the Bolshoi too, Sunday afternoons) and mostly the opera from the ROH (though not so much Glyndebourne) and also musicals and NT etc but it appears many cinemas are not full and are cinemas losing money?  I don't have a clue how the finance of livestreaming works. 

I think lack of publicity may be a part of it.  If I wasn't a member of this forum, I wouldn't know about it.  Also, I know many people who never go to the cinema at all any more.  They prefer to watch something on their own tv when it becomes available.  This is a great pity, because I have been to see several old films recently at the cinema.  The NFT is doing a season of Powell and Pressburger films, and it is wonderful being with a live audience, many of whom have clearly never seen the film before and react accordingly.

• Like 4

Lack of publicity certainly plays a part: I'm signed up certainly with Odeon and Picturehouses, and maybe some others, and never get a thing through from them.  I'm trying to remember whether I even got a notification about the Don Q cinema broadcast from the ROH!

7 hours ago, alison said:

Lack of publicity certainly plays a part: I'm signed up certainly with Odeon and Picturehouses, and maybe some others, and never get a thing through from them.  I'm trying to remember whether I even got a notification about the Don Q cinema broadcast from the ROH!

I didn't get anything from the ROH either.  Lots about the opera, and several Nutcracker related emails recently.  But none about the latest cinema broadcast.  Don't they want people to go?

• Like 1

Not ballet but ROH has added 

UNMISSABLE OPERA:
Cultural historian Dr. Flora Willson explores opera through the ages in this new series available exclusively on Royal Opera House Stream.

The first one available now is on sopranos and is only about 25 minutes.  Perhaps they will do something similar for ballet in the future. 

On 11/11/2023 at 17:17, oncnp said:

Sarah Lamb Spotlight and Nutcracker 2022 added (Fumi Kaneko, William Bracewell, Sae Maeda and Joseph Sissens )

Who else is in this Nutcracker? Rose Fairy, Drosselmeyer etc.

Also, are we expecting Cinderella to be uploaded when it goes on sale on DVD? Trying to decide whether now is the time to trial.

There is a £1 offer for 'Black Friday' but it doesn't seem accessible as soon as I log in. Wondering if Friends status negates the offer because of the existing discount. Does anyone know

Edited by Blossom
additional questions.
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blossom said:

Also, are we expecting Cinderella to be uploaded when it goes on sale on DVD? Trying to decide whether now is the time to trial.

When I asked previously about this (September) they said "t...is hoped that it will appear on stream sometime next year. 

And assuming it was the cinema broadcast The Nutcracker | Cast List | 08.12.2022 7:30 PM (roh.org.uk)

Edited by oncnp

5 minutes ago, oncnp said:

When I asked previously about this (September) they said "t...is hoped that it will appear on stream sometime next year. 

Thanks for this. I can imagine they would want people to buy it as a Christmas present so that makes sense.