New ROH Streaming Service

Guest oncnp

Guest oncnp

Added

SYLVIA

In 1952, Frederick Ashton created the role of Sylvia to showcase the extraordinary talent of Margot Fonteyn.

After many years away from the stage, the ballet was revived, bringing the Greek myth about the love story between a nymph and a shepherd to a new generation. In this 2005 performance, Darcey Bussell takes on the complex role of Sylvia, with Roberto Bolle playing the role of her lover Aminta.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 30/12/2022 at 13:33, maryrosesatonapin said:

Just a heads- up for Paris Opera Ballet chez soi: you can hire things from their website ad hoc rather than committing to a monthly payment and might see performances you would otherwise miss.... personally I don't think the ROH offer is good value.

I am a Paris Opera subscriber (live performances, not streaming) this year so have just had the brochure through for next season. The covering letter says that if I renew I can "sign up for Paris Opera Play, our new streaming service, with a 50% discount on the yearly subscription".

But then the ROH has gone very quiet on the subject of subscriptions / packages anyway so 🤷🏻‍♀️.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, art_enthusiast said:

just checking, is the 2011 one with Alina Cojocaru? 

I've never seen hers live.

Or anyone else apart from Marianela Núñez? (Adore her, but I've seen her portrayal before)

Cuthbertson & Polunin (which seems particularly tone deaf atm). I think the Cojocaru recording has Bonelli, so they might not want the same Prince in multiple versions 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AnticaFiamma said:

Cuthbertson & Polunin (which seems particularly tone deaf atm). I think the Cojocaru recording has Bonelli, so they might not want the same Prince in multiple versions 

One can’t possibly have too much of Bonelli. Or too much Vadim Muntagirov, who is Nunez’s Prince in the 2017 cast. I agree it’s a bit tone deaf, plus that 2011 recording had a couple of glitches in the 3rd act when Sky Arts used to broadcast it. The recording with Cojocaru is worth buying on DVD or waiting for (can’t promise it will appear though) on the ROH Streaming if you have already subscribed. She is a luminous Aurora and he is a wonderful Florimund.

37 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Technically this is off/on topic but Paris Opera and Ballet Have recently launched their own streaming service, is this becoming a trend? I wish they would combine so we would not have to buy both but that’s business.

La Scala too!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Technically this is off/on topic but Paris Opera and Ballet Have recently launched their own streaming service, is this becoming a trend? I wish they would combine so we would not have to buy both but that’s business.

Yes, I think it became a new way for arts organisations to reach audiences during the pandemic, and after the theatres and concert halls reopened there were calls for them to continue it so that they could reach worldwide audiences. Among the early ones to start off this practice or this product, whatever you want to call it, were Berlin Philharmonic (their Digital Concert Hall) and Britain’s National Theatre. I think Het Nationale Ballet in Amsterdam also had a streaming subscription fairly early.

There’s no way that the companies themselves  could combine services (because of different laws, taxes, subsidy etc in each country), unless you mean companies like Marquee, Medici and Mezzo, who are sort of like a Netflix of the arts, choosing a selection of ballet, operas, concerts and other performances from around the world for their subscribers and paying the companies for each show. If you prefer a mix of companies rather just one, it’s worth checking them out (they also put clips on their Facebook page to sample). They won’t have every single production from each ballet company, but they both have an impressive variety. (I don’t know why their names all start, coincidentally, with M!)

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

*Sorry for the editing errors- 

“a mix of companies rather than just one”

”Facebook pages”

”they each have an impressive variety “

I meant to just list Mezzo as an example, then realised some Marquee subscribers might want  Marquee mentioned, then belatedly remembered Medici also did it as well, but didn’t get round to correcting everything.

With the ROH Streaming, it will be good for fans of ROH (especially if they like both opera and ballet) who don’t want the hassle of storing lots of DVDs especially if they are away from home a lot. But many of us here bought RB DVDs long before streaming subscriptions were even thought of so we own most of the titles we want to see already. 

7 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Yes, I think it became a new way for arts organisations to reach audiences during the pandemic, and after the theatres and concert halls reopened there were calls for them to continue it so that they could reach worldwide audiences. 

It vastly predates covid, though: Tony hall was talking about doing it at least a decade ago.

• Like 1

It would be nice if they could fix a technical glitch which means that several of the insights cannot be seen in the streaming service. If you try to watch them it only allows you to add them to your 'to watch' list. I've been in touch with ROH and they say they know about it but don't know why it happens! Their only answer is to use the website link. That, combined with the lack of anything new or not already on DVD, makes the streaming service pretty superfluous.

• Like 1

In terms of performances not available on DVD I think we now have four: 2011 Sleeping Beauty, 2018 Winters Tale, 2021 Giselle and 2022 Romeo and Juliet. It seems to me that they're gradually moving in the right direction - adding older ballets, some of which never made it to DVD, along with newer broadcasts (although there seems to be about 12 months lag between original performance and adding them to ROH Stream). 

It would be nice if this was a quicker process, but I'm hopeful that this pattern will continue - including the much awaited Ashton Triple! 

• Like 1

Guest oncnp

In reply to my question about livestreaming

"Royal Opera House Stream hopes to begin live streams in the coming months. 

So they appear to be thinking about it at least.

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

In reply to my question about livestreaming

"Royal Opera House Stream hopes to begin live streams in the coming months. 

So they appear to be thinking about it at least.

Well, that's good news! I hope this happens. Thanks for the update! :) 

I'm still waiting for Lauren Cuthbertson's Swan Lake, Ashton Triple Bill and the most recent Nutcracker. If those are added to the stream I will be so happy.  

I hadn't seen the 2011 Sleeping Beauty and enjoyed watching it very much. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Linnzi5 said:

I'm still waiting for Lauren Cuthbertson's Swan Lake, Ashton Triple Bill and the most recent Nutcracker. If those are added to the stream I will be so happy.  

Seconded, especially the Ashton Triple Bill!! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

These would all be wonderful. Probably unlikely but I'd personally love to see the previous (2021) Nutcracker again - with the alternative battle scene and a fantastic cast (Naghdi, Corrales, Gasparini, Acri). Felt too good to never be seen again! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to access a full list of what is available on the streaming service?   I am not a subscriber and so I can only see a few ‘highlights’ on the home page.  That’s not enough to entice me to subscribe.  

hopeless marketing (plus ca change) 

🙄🙄🙄

• Like 3

9 hours ago, FionaE said:

Is it possible to access a full list of what is available on the streaming service?   I am not a subscriber and so I can only see a few ‘highlights’ on the home page.  That’s not enough to entice me to subscribe.  

🙄🙄🙄

Yes pretty poor accessibilty...but here I have extractred the current list for Ballet Performances:

ALICE'S ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND (2017)

ANASTASIA (2016)

CONCERTO (2010) 

COPPÉLIA (2019)

CORYBANTIC GAMES (2018)

DANCES AT A GATHERING (2020)

DON QUIXOTE (2013)

ELITE SYNCOPATIONS (2010)

ENIGMA VARIATIONS (2019)

FLIGHT PATTERN (2019)

GISELLE (2016)

GISELLE (2021)

INFRA (2008)

LA FILLE MAL GARDÉE (2005)

MANON (2018)

MAYERLING (2009)

RAYMONDA ACT III (2019)

RHAPSODY (2016)

ROMEO AND JULIET (2019)

ROMEO AND JULIET (2022)

SWAN LAKE (2018)

SYLVIA (2005)

SYMPHONIC VARIATIONS (2017)

THE CELLIST (2020)

THE DANTE PROJECT (2021)

THE DREAM (2017)

THE JUDAS TREE (2010)

THE NUTCRACKER (2016)

THE SLEEPING BEAUTY (2011)

THE SLEEPING BEAUTY (2017)

THE SLEEPING BEAUTY (2020)

THE WINTER'S TALE (2018)

WITHIN THE GOLDEN HOUR (2019)

YUGEN (2018)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest oncnp
9 hours ago, FionaE said:

🙄🙄🙄

Agreed but they may think they have addressed this with the 14-day free trial, longer if you're a Friend (used to be 3 months)

Also noticed they are now advertising  including special releases in UHD and Dolby Atmos, though I've not seen any yet

Edited by oncnp

Interesting news from the 2023/24 press release:

This is on top of wider digital innovation as we make available 24 more productions on ROH Stream. These will include work from Wayne McGregor, and Joseph Toonga's See Us, as well as The Royal Ballet’s new production of Cinderella. These will be supported by a raft of new behind-the-scenes films, interviews and performances, including a celebration of Antonio Pappano's tenure as Music Director of The Royal Opera; a host of choreographic and vocal masterclasses; and exclusive World Ballet Day content, with rehearsals and insights from across its rich ten-year history.

Edited by Benjamin
Missed an s
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, oncnp said:

Like Water for Choc has been added per ROH IG

I watched this last night. I really enjoyed it. I didn't watch it at ROH or see the cinema relay, so it was a nice surprise to have access to it on the streaming service. Now. Next, the Ashton Triple and Swan Lake, please!! A dose of new Nutcracker would be wonderful too!

• Like 3