New ROH Streaming Service

Guest oncnp

Yes but I hope a (overall positive) move towards streaming doesn’t mean they reduce or abandon dvd production. I would like to own the Kaneko Beauty DVD rather than pay £9.99 each time I might want to watch it…

• Like 6

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, oncnp said:

The ROH hasn't abandoned You Tube. A new short film with choreography from Valentino Zucchetti today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtmYc3PkGW4

Oh, thank you for pointing this out, @oncnp.  It is beautiful. Zucchetti is a very good dancer who is disappointed he didn't get promoted to the top rank (but there was so much competition); I hope we see a lot more of his choreography in future, and that he gains immense satisfaction from a second career. I always love his choice of music.  This was a harmonious and moving marriage of dance and piano.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

Oh, thank you for pointing this out, @oncnp.  It is beautiful. Zucchetti is a very good dancer who is disappointed he didn't get promoted to the top rank (but there was so much competition); I hope we see a lot more of his choreography in future, and that he gains immense satisfaction from a second career. I always love his choice of music.  This was a harmonious and moving marriage of dance and piano.

As far as I’m aware Zucchetti is also still a dancer and has been on a long recovery from injury. At present he is cast in The Nutcracker both as Hans Peter and Sugar Plum Prince. I know I would love to see him dancing again as well as choreographing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PeterS said:

As far as I’m aware Zucchetti is also still a dancer and has been on a long recovery from injury. At present he is cast in The Nutcracker both as Hans Peter and Sugar Plum Prince. I know I would love to see him dancing again as well as choreographing.

I know he's still dancing - didn't mean to suggest he had retired!

• Thanks 1

Here is an email I sent to Customer Services re streaming and the reply.

Hi

I've recently signed up to the ROH streaming channel and am rather disappointed not more 'new to us' content is included. I have all that is on offer for the ballet which is all I'm interested in. 

When new material becomes available are we emailed to alert us or do we just need to keep logging in? 

When will the Ashton triple shown last May become available? 

Will it all be professionally filmed material or is there a chance of seeing some alternative casts that were filmed for training purposes (for example) and not generally released? This would be very exciting for ballet or opera enthusiasts. Even if the quality isn't as good as the cinema broadcasts it would be worth it to see (for example) Muntagirov/Morera in the recent Month in the Country. It was terrible their performance wasn't filmed and I would love to see any version of it whatever the quality, and I know from the response on the Ballet Forum I'm not alone in this. 

Also, any chance of more archive type material?

Dear Joan, 

Many thanks for getting in touch and for your support of the Royal Opera House. It is truly appreciated.

Along with what is currently available, two new titles along with other special releases will be announced every month via email and other channels. 

Your requests and feedback will be passed on to the Royal Opera House Stream team. 

With best wishes,

Graham Boland

Customer Services Manager

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just got an email today from the ROH and it seems this months 'new' ballet streaming offering is the 2009 Ed Watson Mayerling. It's not the date I mind it's the fact this is already available on dvd and presumably most people who want it have already got it. I have emailed Kevin O'Hare and asked him if there was any chance of getting non available recordings of multiple casts even if they were just training videos. I'm sure people wouldn't bother about lesser quality just to see their favourite dancers in roles never before seen. However I realise there could be copyright/orchestra payment issues involved. I'll let you know what he says. If all the 'new' content is going to be cinema recordings that are already available it's not going to be worth subscribing to unless it's for new cinema releases not yet available on dvd, such as the Ashton triple. I'm really disappointed as I hoped that would be the Oct ballet release. I also asked Kevin when it would be released as a stream. It seems silly it's on the streaming promotion but not yet available. It looks like the 2021 Rigoletto is the new opera addition.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Just got an email today from the ROH and it seems this months 'new' ballet streaming offering is the 2009 Ed Watson Mayerling. It's not the date I mind it's the fact this is already available on dvd and presumably most people who want it have already got it. I have emailed Kevin O'Hare and asked him if there was any chance of getting non available recordings of multiple casts even if they were just training videos. I'm sure people wouldn't bother about lesser quality just to see their favourite dancers in roles never before seen. However I realise there could be copyright/orchestra payment issues involved. I'll let you know what he says. If all the 'new' content is going to be cinema recordings that are already available it's not going to be worth subscribing to unless it's for new cinema releases not yet available on dvd, such as the Ashton triple. I'm really disappointed as I hoped that would be the Oct ballet release. I also asked Kevin when it would be released as a stream. It seems silly it's on the streaming promotion but not yet available. It looks like the 2021 Rigoletto is the new opera addition.

Thank you for emailing - I think I will too. I really hope the streaming service offers some newer things - I have a lot of DVDs and though I have subscribed, I may cancel my subscription if new material from recent recordings/cinema relays is not going to be offered. I want to see recent performances I haven’t seen and I’m desperate to see the Swan Lake live relay again! I already subscribe to Marquee TV and at this rate, I won’t need both.

• Like 1

Well, I'd be happy to see some older ones, too.  After all, there were all those big screen broadcasts which we haven't seen - although I don't know whether that would be permitted - for example, there was a Cojocaru/Kobborg Manon which had many in Trafalgar Square in floods of tears, me included. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alison said:

Well, I'd be happy to see some older ones, too.  After all, there were all those big screen broadcasts which we haven't seen - although I don't know whether that would be permitted - for example, there was a Cojocaru/Kobborg Manon which had many in Trafalgar Square in floods of tears, me included. 

Oh, me too. I think a mix of older and new would be brilliant. I suppose I am just disappointed  that everything on the steaming service, in the ballet section presently,  I have already seen or own.

• Like 3

I’m surprised they haven’t released a Cinderella recording to drum up interest for the upcoming production.

to be honest I think it will sell incredibly well regardless, but for those that haven’t seen it before it would certainly further whet the appetite…

Unless there are licensing issues or previous recordings don’t exist! 

also confused as to why it’s taking so long for the Ashton triple to make an appearance, along with like water for chocolate. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JNC said:

also confused as to why it’s taking so long for the Ashton triple to make an appearance, along with like water for chocolate. 

Because they are waiting until the free 3 months I have is up before they add the streams of the works I really want to see? Then I will definitely have to pay to subscribe? 🤣

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Sim said:

It was wonderful!  

Yes, I agree! I'm half-way through and loving it so far. I had to force myself to press the stop button at 1:00am this morning as It was so beautiful that I became engrossed in it. I always love watching Marianela Nuñez and she has been wonderful so far as Myrtha - she brings an ice cold elegance to the role. Yasmine Naghdi is just lovely as Giselle, Matthew Ball a compelling Albrecht and I am looking forward to some of the PPDs later in the ballet. This is a most welcome addition. I also watched 'In Conversation with Lauren Cuthbertson', which was very interesting. If the steaming service keeps adding content, I will definitely continue to subscribe.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thelittleswans said:

Tempted to sign up. Are there any offers on? Just wanted to check it out first. Or can you cancel DD anytime? 

Royal Opera House Stream Help (roh.org.uk)

New subscribers are welcome to try Royal Opera House Stream for free for 14 days. To access this free period you will need to enter payment details, but payment will not be taken from your account until after the free period has finished. After the free period, payment will be taken automatically. The amount will depend on whether you have signed up for a monthly or annual subscription. You can find out more about this in your Account.

If you pay monthly, you can cancel your subscription at any time on your account page, retaining access until the end of the month you have paid for. If you have paid for an annual subscription, you can cancel at any point and access will continue for the year you have paid for.

Refunds are not available. If you experience any issues regarding payments please contact the box office.

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

Royal Opera House Stream Help (roh.org.uk)

New subscribers are welcome to try Royal Opera House Stream for free for 14 days. To access this free period you will need to enter payment details, but payment will not be taken from your account until after the free period has finished. After the free period, payment will be taken automatically. The amount will depend on whether you have signed up for a monthly or annual subscription. You can find out more about this in your Account.

If you pay monthly, you can cancel your subscription at any time on your account page, retaining access until the end of the month you have paid for. If you have paid for an annual subscription, you can cancel at any point and access will continue for the year you have paid for.

Refunds are not available. If you experience any issues regarding payments please contact the box office.

Thanks for sharing this. Awesome 😎 

• 1 month later...

Had an email from the ROH being enthusiastic about 2 Carmen productions being streamed on the new channel but no mention of the Ashton triple. How difficult is to to stream something recorded months ago and will make the Christmas of so many loyal ballet supporters? The Carmen productions are 2006 with Kaufmann and the 2018 production.

Edited by jmhopton
add info
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Had an email from the ROH being enthusiastic about 2 Carmen productions being streamed on the new channel but no mention of the Ashton triple. How difficult is to to stream something recorded months ago and will make the Christmas of so many loyal ballet supporters? The Carmen productions are 2006 with Kaufmann and the 2018 production.

I know ! I hope they aren't waiting until the three months free subscription for Friends expires before adding it in the hope that people then subscribe for access? Is that too cynical for Christmas?

2 hours ago, MJW said:

I know ! I hope they aren't waiting until the three months free subscription for Friends expires before adding it in the hope that people then subscribe for access? Is that too cynical for Christmas?

Sounds depressingly accurate. Let's hope it's not true.  I want to watch it on Christmas Day, given the paucity of alternative attractions. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I must admit, I am very disappointed with the streaming service so far. The only thing I’ve not seen before was Sleeping Beauty with Fumi Kaneko . I received an email earlier today and all that has listed in the ballet section for January and February are Romeo and Juliet and the Cellist. I have the latter on dvd. I can’t tell which Romeo and Juliet cast it is. I really would love to see some of the newer live cinema relays -  the Cutherbertson/Bracewell Swan Lake, The Ashton triple bill, the recent Nutcracker stream - or any others. I really hope something more appealing is offered soon, or I will not be renewing. 😡

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I must admit, I am very disappointed with the streaming service so far. The only thing I’ve not seen before was Sleeping Beauty with Fumi Kaneko . I received an email earlier today and all that has listed in the ballet section for January and February are Romeo and Juliet and the Cellist. I have the latter on dvd. I can’t tell which Romeo and Juliet cast it is. I really would love to see some of the newer live cinema relays -  the Cutherbertson/Bracewell Swan Lake, The Ashton triple bill, the recent Nutcracker stream - or any others. I really hope something more appealing is offered soon, or I will not be renewing. 😡

As a Friend I haven't had to pay anything (thus far) but I have to agree with you its been rather disappointing to date. I was hoping to see things that haven't been already available on DVD etc. 

Still no sign of the Ashton triple as I mentioned on the ROH's IG account when they were reviewing the past year (lots of likes for the comment but no response from ROH!)

19 minutes ago, MJW said:

As a Friend I haven't had to pay anything (thus far) but I have to agree with you its been rather disappointing to date. I was hoping to see things that haven't been already available on DVD etc. 

Still no sign of the Ashton triple as I mentioned on the ROH's IG account when they were reviewing the past year (lots of likes for the comment but no response from ROH!)

I’m a friend too but signed up for the year at a reduced price (with the first 3 months free). I have a feeling that once signed up (after the statutory 14 days to cancel, if I changed my mind) that, after that,  I am signed up for the whole year no matter if my payment has been taken or not? That would mean, if I’m unhappy,  that I don’t renew next year but am stuck paying £69.99 for the year?  I just really want to see some of the things I thought I would get to see and I am growing impatient and disheartened. I do not particularly want to watch any of the operatic works available. I don’t dislike opera, but it doesn’t hold the same appeal as ballet does. I may be wrong and can cancel before my free period is up. TBH, i can’t remember what the terms and conditions said. I shall look. Anyway, I am feeling a bit negative at the moment. I do hope something I really want to see will be on offer soon. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I’m a friend too but signed up for the year at a reduced price (with the first 3 months free). I have a feeling that once signed up (after the statutory 14 days to cancel, if I changed my mind) that, after that,  I am signed up for the whole year no matter if my payment has been taken or not? That would mean, if I’m unhappy,  that I don’t renew next year but am stuck paying £69.99 for the year?  I just really want to see some of the things I thought I would get to see and I am growing impatient and disheartened. I do not particularly want to watch any of the operatic works available. I don’t dislike opera, but it doesn’t hold the same appeal as ballet does. I may be wrong and can cancel before my free period is up. TBH, i can’t remember what the terms and conditions said. I shall look. Anyway, I am feeling a bit negative at the moment. I do hope something I really want to see will be on offer soon. 

My subscription was monthly - I have cancelled before payments start next month and my subscription runs until 18th January. If you cancel before your payment is taken and within the three month "free" period (as far as I can see) you won't be charged.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MJW said:

My subscription was monthly - I have cancelled before payments start next month and my subscription runs until 18th January. If you cancel before your payment is taken and within the three month "free" period (as far as I can see) you won't be charged.

Thank you - that is very helpful. I need to make a decision very soon! 

2 hours ago, MJW said:

I’ve just cancelled on the same basis and had a message saying I wouldn’t be charged.

Thanks for the reminder MJW.

• Like 1

Well, I must be checking my date in case I need to cancel also.

Am just totally hacked off after the very cheery email from the streaming service extolling the wonders to come FOR THE NEXT 3 MONTHS but still no sign of the Ashton triple. So we're not going to see it before April at the earliest unless we all bombard them with emails and Kevin seems impervious to that. I did say to him All I want for Christmas is the Ashton triple but I suppose I didn't specify which Christmas. Perhaps MJW is right that they're holding it back until most of the Friends have cancelled their free subscription,  forcing them to rejoin.

Balletwise we're getting The Cellist 5th Jan,  Romeo 14th Feb (don't know which cast) and the old Sylvia recording with Darcey Bussell 9th March. This reminds me of my Sylvia grievance about it not being filmed when it was revived a few years ago. Why not as it hasn't been revived for ages? At this rate it will be at least a year between Ashton triple performance and stream. Just can't understand it at all. I thought streaming was supposed to be instant.

Opera streaming is Traviata in Jan, Fidelio Feb and Madame Butterfly March.

• Like 3

I recently took out a subscription and have been happy with it. There are several  advantages for me. 

Instead of having  to buy a DVD of a triple bill when there is only one thing on it that I want to see, I can see short works such as Raymonda act 3 or Enigma Variations by themselves.

Then again, I've been reluctant to buy DVDs of other casts when I already have one of  that production, so now I can see some of these at no extra cost too. 

Also I can be more experimental and watch things I'm  not sure about,  such as The Dante Project or Within the Golden Hour. ( I was amazed, I had no idea Wheeldon could produce work of that quality!)

I have the Sylvia DVD with that cast, so that's a bit meh, but I'm looking forwards to The Cellist and will probably watch R & J, though that really isn't my favourite ballet - but that's part of the point, really.

So basically, I'm a  happy member of a demographic that wouldn't see these works and performances  any other way. 

• Like 2

I'm pleased that you're enjoying the ROH streaming system DVDfan and I'm sure you're not alone in this. It is a great initiative and I don't know of other major opera houses who have launched anything similar,  so we'll done ROH. My criticisms are personal to me in that so far I already have most or all of what has been streamed and I thought the Ashton triple was promised for release in the autumn (though of course no mention as to which autumn!) An image from Month in the Country is even used in their promotional publicity! So hopefully we'll see it sometime next year. It would also be great to see some non official recordings that haven't been used for cinema broadcasts but that doesn’t seem to be happening either, probably because of copyright problems.

• Like 2