New ROH Streaming Service

Guest oncnp

On 14/11/2023 at 17:21, EVWS said:

I've just been sent an invite to test the new ROH Livestream feature on the ROH Stream channel - email contents pasted below.

Perhaps this is paving the way to being able to live stream performances from your TV, maybe replacing or in alongside the Cinema Relays? 

As a subscriber of Royal Opera House Stream, I’d like to invite you to take part in a trial of our new livestreaming feature. 

We will be livestreaming Insights: Photographing The Dante Project with Mary McCartney on 30 November 2023 at 7.30pm BST to invited audiences on Royal Opera House Stream. If you are selected to take part, you will be able to watch the performance free of charge on a laptop, desktop, tablet, mobile device, or using one of our TV apps. The performance will then be available to watch on the platform for 72 hours. 

In return, I will send you a feedback form following the livestream that will ask about your experience and help our team make improvements. This should take no more than 15 minutes of your time. You will also be able to report any technical issues or share ideas for improvement in real-time on the Royal Opera House Stream website. 

If you would like to participate, please fill out this brief form with your details (less than five minutes). We appreciate your help! 

Except that this event has now been cancelled

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 04/10/2022 at 12:49, JohnS said:

My email received this morning gives a bit more detail:

EXCLUSIVE OFFER

FIRST THREE MONTHS FREE

Log into your Friends'/Patrons' account to enjoy your first three months for free*, then pay £6.99 per month (normally £9.99). Offer for Friends and Patrons of the Royal Opera House only.

Subscribe today

*The three months free is an introductory offer for the first 5000 Friends who subscribe to Royal Opera House Stream. All Friends who subscribe after this offer finishes will still enjoy the special Friends’ discount of £6.99 per month/£69.99 per year (normally £99.99 per year).

A year later I seem to have got this offer, with nothing to pay til March. I wonder that says about streaming numbers? 
Also suggests that now is the time to test the livestream capability while still small numbers.

I've recently had problems watching via the streaming service. Tried to watch the new Nutcracker and the transmission, or whatever you'd call it, stopped 7 times during the first act. Easy to just press OK and carry on but not a good way to watch. Tried things I had watched before without difficulty, same happened. I've_contacted the Box Office,told them I'm using a Fire Stick and am slightly relieved to have been told that other people using the service by the same method have complained. They are looking into it, but no time scale or apology or offer to suspend subscription is given. Wonder if  they're having technical difficulties?

19 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

I have been asked to be involved in this on the 30th but not been told it has been cancelled. Did you get an email?

It is no longer listed on the website, at least.

19 hours ago, SPD444 said:

We must be looking at different things. I do not hold a ticket to get a refund I will be sitting in front of my computer testing the stream.

I had a ticket to attend the event. I have assumed that the event now having been cancelled that your streaming test will be cancelled, unless ROH is replacing it with something else for your test

3 hours ago, MargaretN7 said:

I had a ticket to attend the event. I have assumed that the event now having been cancelled that your streaming test will be cancelled, unless ROH is replacing it with something else for your test

the event being streamed was about photographing the Dante Project with Mary McCartney which I cannot find on “What’s On” so it must be cancelled. I emailed the lady leading the trial but she has not replied. Very strange though not to have heard from them.

Is there anyone who has had access to the stream for a while?

Keen to know whether new productions are added monthly to further bulk up the content OR are productions added for a limited time and then taken away? I'd rather hoped for the former, but one of the reasons I signed up was for Coppelia which doesn't work on my TV (shows the insight under the production listing), shows 'coming soon' on my laptop and according to the Box Office I would like to inform you that we have now removed access to the performance content for the ballet titles The Dante Project, Coppélia and Like Water for Chocolate on Royal Opera House Stream. They will be available soon, so the pages can still be viewed and their wraparound and trailers are still available.  Unfortunately, we are unable to provide with information about specific dates for titles to be added to the current Stream catalogue.

I have had a subscription for some time, and I'd say that they do add new content most months, though it is a bit irregular. Some months there's nothing new in ballet, then the following month there will be two things.

An odd feature is they way some things have been marked 'coming soon' when they had been available for some time previously.

I haven't noticed anything being removed permanently yet.

And the website design is plain weird.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Would pirated footage be used in an official trailer?

That's not pirated footage I've posted.  It's a trailer for the 'official' version.

"Available on DVD from Opus Arte"

However the full thing is on YouTube, for those willing to search. Pirated. But don't tell anyone.

Edited by Ondine
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blossom said:

Is there anyone who has had access to the stream for a while?

Keen to know whether new productions are added monthly to further bulk up the content OR are productions added for a limited time and then taken away? I'd rather hoped for the former, but one of the reasons I signed up was for Coppelia which doesn't work on my TV (shows the insight under the production listing), shows 'coming soon' on my laptop and according to the Box Office I would like to inform you that we have now removed access to the performance content for the ballet titles The Dante Project, Coppélia and Like Water for Chocolate on Royal Opera House Stream. They will be available soon, so the pages can still be viewed and their wraparound and trailers are still available.  Unfortunately, we are unable to provide with information about specific dates for titles to be added to the current Stream catalogue.

my hazy memory tells me that Coppélia was the first thing I watched when the Stream was launched. It not available now so that means that at some point it was taken down to be listed as ‘Coming Soon’.

I have a feeling that Nutcracker is another one that comes and goes too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Buried at the bottom of the ballet A-Z is this "coming soon"  - Watch Party: The Nutcracker (roh.org.uk)

WATCH PARTY: THE NUTCRACKER

13 DECEMBER 2023 1.30PM

Watch this festive treat with friends and family around the world from 6.30pm GMT on Wednesday 13 December 2023.

Fumi Kaneko, William Bracewell, Sae Maeda and Joseph Sissens star in Peter Wright's enchanting production of this festive classic.

This version (assuming it's 2022) is already available so not sure what this is about. Can't be a special live stream because she is scheduled to be dancing Nutcracker in Almaty, Kazakhstan on that day. Hmmmmm.......

Follow up on the "Watch Party". E-mail from the ROH

We've got the perfect thing to get our Stream subscribers into the festive spirit – a watch party of The Nutcracker on Wednesday 13 December at 6.30pm (GMT). 

A festive treat for the whole family, The Nutcracker holds a special place in the hearts of ballet fans around the world. We want everyone to have a special evening, so we've gathered some treats for you to make a night of it at home. There's also an amazing prize for the most festive watch party that we see!

Let us know you're coming using the button below then gather your loved ones together on Wednesday 13 December.

I want to attend

8 hours ago, oncnp said:

Follow up on the "Watch Party". E-mail from the ROH

We've got the perfect thing to get our Stream subscribers into the festive spirit – a watch party of The Nutcracker on Wednesday 13 December at 6.30pm (GMT). 

A festive treat for the whole family, The Nutcracker holds a special place in the hearts of ballet fans around the world. We want everyone to have a special evening, so we've gathered some treats for you to make a night of it at home. There's also an amazing prize for the most festive watch party that we see!

Let us know you're coming using the button below then gather your loved ones together on Wednesday 13 December.

I want to attend

i wonder does this mean inviting the neighbours in to watch it in my home like when the late Queen’s Coronation was broadcast by the BBC? 

Or, does it mean that I can share my log in details and password with ballet friends around the country so that we can all watch together but remotely for a ‘shared experience’? 

As noted above, LES PATINEURS and 3 extras (now available) is the 2010 version with Olivia Cowley, Celisa Diuana, Kristen McNally, Demelza Parish, Ryoichi Hirano, Kenta Kura, Liam Scarlett, Andrej Uspenski, Akane Takada, Samantha Raine, Steven McRae, Sarah Lamb, Rupert Pennefather

Edited by oncnp

On 05/12/2023 at 08:17, PeterS said:

i wonder does this mean inviting the neighbours in to watch it in my home like when the late Queen’s Coronation was broadcast by the BBC? 

Huddled round the 14 inch screen in a darkened room? Did you have one of those magnifying things that stood in front of the screen?