New ROH Streaming Service

Guest oncnp

So, are you saying that they're basically releasing, say, one stream every few weeks?  I'd assumed that you'd have access to the existing library of streams - plus all the "behind the scenes" items and so on.  That's how it was when the trials were going on.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently took out a subscription to the stream and have been enjoying it. However last night I decided to watch Coppelia but found it very difficult to watch because it was so juddery and jerky with oversaturated colour. I know it’s not my television since other performances on the stream look perfectly normal. I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem. 

33 minutes ago, Nina99 said:

I recently took out a subscription to the stream and have been enjoying it. However last night I decided to watch Coppelia but found it very difficult to watch because it was so juddery and jerky with oversaturated colour. I know it’s not my television since other performances on the stream look perfectly normal. I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem. 

Yes - I've had the same problem. All other streams seem fine.

It’s a lot to pay for on average one “new” ballet stream a month?

which doesn’t include Like Water for Chocolate - I understand they maybe want to encourage people to go to the cinema to watch it but to be honest the big screen is different to at home and surely they could release it a few weeks later? - and the Ashton triple! 

Two of the three are already available on DVD and the Romeo and Juliet may be also depending on cast. 

At this point I’d rather spend the same money buying a dvd every other month of performances I want to see and keep (with the stream I presume roh can remove anything in future). In fact I already own the Sylvia DVD and was planning to buy the cellist (more for dances at a gathering rather than the cellist). 

I feel the streaming service either needs to provide more offerings more frequently (especially those unavailable on dvd) or charge a more nominal amount, £9.99 is a lot when you think of what an equivalent spend on Netflix, prime etc could get you. I’d be interested to see numbers of how many streaming members they have. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

Also Marquee TV etc.... lots of ballets there including things we might not have had the opportunity to see.

I was able to get a very good price for a year of Marquee TV - £44. I do watch a lot there and they have the Nureyev Gala there for me to watch when I like. :) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JNC said:

It’s a lot to pay for on average one “new” ballet stream a month?

which doesn’t include Like Water for Chocolate - I understand they maybe want to encourage people to go to the cinema to watch it but to be honest the big screen is different to at home and surely they could release it a few weeks later? - and the Ashton triple! 

Two of the three are already available on DVD and the Romeo and Juliet may be also depending on cast. 

At this point I’d rather spend the same money buying a dvd every other month of performances I want to see and keep (with the stream I presume roh can remove anything in future). In fact I already own the Sylvia DVD and was planning to buy the cellist (more for dances at a gathering rather than the cellist). 

I feel the streaming service either needs to provide more offerings more frequently (especially those unavailable on dvd) or charge a more nominal amount, £9.99 is a lot when you think of what an equivalent spend on Netflix, prime etc could get you. I’d be interested to see numbers of how many streaming members they have. 

Totally agree. I am disappointed, personally, because I have seen the majority of everything before - sometimes many years before! Including the behind the scenes material. I do hope this improves - very soon.

• Like 1

Had a reply from Customer Services re streaming the Ashton triple. Graham Boland is always very pleasant but couldn't give any information as it when it would be available. He said he would pass my wishes on, but as I've asked Kevin and Alex more than once I don't think they can be in any doubt! Just can't understand what the delay is when it's a new item no one will have and you would think attract new members to the streaming. Perhaps MJW is correct and they're waiting for most of the Friends free 3 months to expire before making them pay to re-join.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Was just going through the ROH streaming offering again preparatory to cancelling my subscription (my free 3 months Friends subscription ends Wed) when I noticed at the bottom of the offerings page, opposite where it says Easily Watch on your TV they have removed A Month in the Country from their selection of offerings (below Sleeping Beauty) and replaced it with the opera Cendrillon. Yet another indication there don't appear to be plans to release it anytime soon. Given the lack of intent to stream it (why?) you wonder why it was there in the first place.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Was just going through the ROH streaming offering again preparatory to cancelling my subscription (my free 3 months Friends subscription ends Wed) when I noticed at the bottom of the offerings page, opposite where it says Easily Watch on your TV they have removed A Month in the Country from their selection of offerings (below Sleeping Beauty) and replaced it with the opera Cendrillon. Yet another indication there don't appear to be plans to release it anytime soon. Given the lack of intent to stream it (why?) you wonder why it was there in the first place.

Or indeed film it in the first place!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jmhopton said:

A picture to fill space?

• 5 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

Well. Finally something new is on the streaming site that I haven't seen. Romeo and Juliet with Sambe and O''Sullivan.

James Hay is an excellent Mercutio in it.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Once things are on the streaming site are they just there for a certain length of time eg a few months, or are they there indefinitely?

I canceled my subscription so can't access the full site but what went up in Oct appears to still be there. The website only says below, no mention about things disappearing. 

Two full-length Royal Opera House performances and exclusive additional content will be added every month. 

just to add, much if not all of the "exclusive" content was/is available on the ROH YouTube channel

Edited by oncnp

I've been watching a US golf tournament this weekend. I always record it then I can fast forward through the adverts when I noticed an advert for the ROH streaming service popping up several times with the theme 'New worlds await'. No prices mentioned. They must obviously think there are a lot of golf and ballet enthusiasts out there!

That's perhaps not a bad idea.  After all, if it gets the information out to people who wouldn't necessarily be aware of it, it should be a good thing.  I suppose a lot of retired people play golf - perhaps they're targeting people who are less likely to be going out and about in the evening, but might be interested in watching.

• Like 1

On 18/02/2023 at 20:55, jmhopton said:

I've been watching a US golf tournament this weekend. I always record it then I can fast forward through the adverts when I noticed an advert for the ROH streaming service popping up several times with the theme 'New worlds await'. No prices mentioned. They must obviously think there are a lot of golf and ballet enthusiasts out there!

My husband records all golf (any on TV, on any station, all the time . . .you get the picture!) and I haven't noticed any ROH streaming commercials, though, to be fair, I don't watch and he winds through the adverts. I will ask him if he's seen any on the sports channels he watches.

Interesting marketing. I can honestly say, though my husband does join me at ROH sometimes (usually under protest, unless it's Nutcracker, of course), he would not be interested in the streaming service. I suppose they carry out market research and target their audience. I have noticed that we get targeted advertising on Sky, for example. The more that subscribe the better, though I am still waiting for a number of recent cinema relays to be shown on the service (pretty please, ROH!)

• Like 1

It appears that LaScala's new service has both recorded and live streamed performances. From the Times and in tomorrow's links 

Subscribers can livestream seven operas, nine concerts and three ballets this year and access pre-recorded shows, documentaries and special content. Prices range from €2.90 to €11.90 for performances shot with up to nine cameras.

LaScalaTv. Next ballet is Corsair on 1 March

22 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

My husband records all golf (any on TV, on any station, all the time . . .you get the picture!) and I haven't noticed any ROH streaming commercials, though, to be fair, I don't watch and he winds through the adverts. I will ask him if he's seen any on the sports channels he watches.

Interesting marketing. I can honestly say, though my husband does join me at ROH sometimes (usually under protest, unless it's Nutcracker, of course), he would not be interested in the streaming service. I suppose they carry out market research and target their audience. I have noticed that we get targeted advertising on Sky, for example. The more that subscribe the better, though I am still waiting for a number of recent cinema relays to be shown on the service (pretty please, ROH!)

It was on during the Genesis Open last weekend. It seemed to be practically every advert break, especially during Friday and Saturday. No idea if golf is the only sport they targeted as never watch any other sport on tv.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oncnp
3 minutes ago, alison said:

"We've just released two recordings of Kenneth MacMillan's Romeo and Juliet: our 2019 production starring Yasmine Naghdi and Matthew Ball, and our 2022 production starring Anna Rose O'Sullivan and Marcelino Sambé."

"Just released" a couple weeks ago.... the ROH isn't looking at its own site

Edited by oncnp

Guest oncnp
1 minute ago, alison said:

Oops, sorry, yes, now I look back up the thread ...

Sorry, I thought this was a new announcement 

On 15/02/2023 at 22:19, ninamargaret said:

Really enjoyed this and at last I've got to see James Hay! Super dancing from him, as usual. Think I enjoyed this performance more than the Naghdi/Ball. Was it streamed to cinemas?

I believe it was, although I’m only 98% certain, as so many R&J performances and casts have been on the cinema relay now.....

On 20/02/2023 at 21:49, jmhopton said:

It was on during the Genesis Open last weekend. It seemed to be practically every advert break, especially during Friday and Saturday. No idea if golf is the only sport they targeted as never watch any other sport on tv.

I’ve watched a few other sports intermittently on Eurosport and not seen any advertising about the ROH streaming. Nor indeed on any other channels that have adverts!