Ongoing London public transport strike action thread

LinMM

I thought it was 14 days notice 

Certainly the RMT union which is the one which affects my travelling has always given plenty of notice two weeks plus in fact. 

Edited by LinMM

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

This strike is only related to RMT members ( so not ASLEF) who work on the tube so it’s not mainly a drivers action. This usually means some stations will be closed and more likely to have train cancellations on the tube line. Only the 22nd and 29th July would affect trains coming into London from Cambridge….where I’m off to this weekend as it happens!! 

@LinMM I was thinking of the possibility of signalling or suchlike in London being disrupted. Hopefully it won't be. I'm currently waiting to find out how disruptive the 20th July strike date will be but I'm not holding out much hope I'll be able to make it to London that day. Fortunately I don't have anything booked on 22nd or 29th. I hope you enjoy your time in Cambridge.

Well the journey hasn’t started well!! 
There are no through Thameslink trains from Brighton to Cambridge so have to do the St Pancras then Kings Cross route to get a train just as the rush hour will be starting!! 
I thought they might reduce the service to one an hour but not stop it altogether. So a bit of extra pfaff! 
I hope the Kings Cross trains are more than one an hour or might still be waiting for a train at midnight lol! 
Thanks for your good wishes I always love going to Cambridge seeing friends in Sawston. 

@LinMM Oh dear. That Brighton train does seem to get cancelled quite a lot. The Kings Cross trains are usually twice an hour, though with the overtime ban this week there were fewer in the middle of the day on Tuesday so I don't know if that's the case again today. I'd hope they'd have the sense not to reduce trains during the rush hour though.

Oh, you're going to be coming very near to me then, as I live in Stapleford.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like the public transport service has been on more strikes this year than actually running a normal service. Maybe Just Stop Oil should have some chats with them. The rail & tube debacles are pushing us to use more fossil fuels when public transport is disrupted, JSO understandably want less use of them. Maybe they can all chat with each other to come up with solutions instead of metaphorically yelling in commuters’ ears while leaving us stranded. 

• Like 1

I think the whole thing is though the Gov are not interested in talking to them. 
When ticket offices start to close all over the place and there are more regular cancellations because the infrastructure is not maintained sufficiently  I think people will regret being hard on the Unions in this particular instance. 

• Like 1

As the ROH's orchestra has now voted in favour of possible action maybe rail strikes in the latter part of the year will have less impact on those of us trying to get to the ROH by train if the performances have already been cancelled by orchestra strikes!

Guest oncnp
52 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

As the ROH's orchestra has now voted in favour of possible action maybe rail strikes in the latter part of the year will have less impact on those of us trying to get to the ROH by train if the performances have already been cancelled by orchestra strikes!

Thank you. I hadn't seen that

https://musiciansunion.org.uk/news/orchestra-of-the-royal-opera-house-vote-yes-to-potential-industrial-action

Does anyone KNOW whether other ROH performers - dancers; opera chorus - and administrators have had their pay restored (i.e. they no longer have the 10% cut)? The ROH Orchestra has a reputation for showing strength in relation to working conditions as well as salary levels (good for them) but any settlement with the musicians must surely be reflected in the pay of other employees too.

• Like 2

Guest oncnp
1 minute ago, capybara said:

Does anyone KNOW whether other ROH performers - dancers; opera chorus - and administrators have had their pay restored (i.e. they no longer have the 10% cut)? The ROH Orchestra has a reputation for showing strength in relation to working conditions as well as salary levels (good for them) but any settlement with the musicians must surely be reflected in the pay of other employees too.

And over 70k it was 20%. And there were/are "performers" in that category according to the ROH accounts filed at Companies House.

I believe the last accounts were published in May (through Aug 2022). There were more performers in the higher pay brackets than last report. Will have a look when I get home from work

Guest oncnp
4 hours ago, capybara said:

From the accounts published 20 May 2023    Group of companies' accounts made up to 28 August 2022. This is all I could find (pg 71)

image.png.5eebaeb9ae089f1c33f1eaf88b159f21.png

On pg 72 are the salary bands and, for example, there a quite a few more performers in the £ 70-79,999 range (22 v. 4) than in YE 29 Aug 21. The performers are not identified as ballet/opera/orchestra but i'm hoping at least some of those are dancers (Osipova, Nuñez?) . 

Fingers and toes crossed....I can drive in but the traffic would no doubt be awful.  Not to mention (and much more importantly) those who need to get to work, medical appointments, etc. etc.

I was feeling pretty depressed that I’d have to cancel my tickets as I’m currently on crutches and will need to taxi/Uber it to and from the railway station - it’s going to be a tricky enough task as it is without the complication of a tube strike.  Fingers crossed!!!