Ongoing London public transport strike action thread

LinMM

Have just heard some very bad news that from October 5th some bus garages are going on strike ….indefinitely!! 
Unfortunately it’s mostly the North London area garages …so affecting quite a few buses I catch regularly ( on a weekly basis) 

Luckily not affecting the No. 30! 
But will mean two buses instead of one on a couple of journeys now. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard as of 4th October, and that it was Arriva, who appear to be based in South London?  Is this additional action?

I've branched this off into a new thread for TfL services and so on, to keep it separate from the UK-wide rail strikes.

• Like 1

I read this on Facebook and definitely North London and then gave a huge list of buses affected including some of my regulars like 19,38 73 and 341 but there’s a lot in the list. 
Am just glad the 30 isn't affected…well not yet! 
I know it sounds awful but I wonder if the whole lot of them bus and rail would just go on an all out strike that this wouldn’t get everybody talking to resolve the issues much more quickly than is happening currently. 

Will put this here as well as is more local to London as well as Nationwide

RMT union are in addition calling a strike on Saturday May 8th so this may affect people who use Thameslink to get to London and who may be wanting to get to Mayerling that day. 

I’ve just heard the planned London bus strike due to start on Oct 4th has been called off while they are considering some new pay offer. 
Let’s hope it’s good enough for them to accept so one less thing to worry about!!! 

• Like 2

From Transport for London today:

"Strike impacts for the week are as follows:

• Limited service on the Bakerloo line between Queen's Park and Harrow & Wealdstone from 08:00 until 18:00, with no service outside of these times on Saturday 1 and Saturday 8 October
  • On Saturday 1 October, there will be limited service on the District line between Wimbledon and Parson's Green, and between Richmond and Turnham Green from 07:15 until 18:30
  • On Saturday 8 October, there will be limited service on the District line between Richmond and Turnham Green from 07:15 until 18:30 and there will be no service between Wimbledon and Earl's Court due to planned works on Saturday 8 and Sunday 9 October
  • London Overground will have no service on Saturday 1 and Wednesday 5 October, and there will be a reduced service between 08:00 and 18:00 on Saturday 8 October
  • The Elizabeth line will have a reduced service on Saturday 1 and Saturday 8 October

Customers using these services the day after each strike are advised that services should return to normal by late morning."

https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/strikes?cid=strikes

London Overground

"The majority of TfL's services will run, but there will be significant disruption on the London Overground. The Elizabeth line, Bakerloo and District lines will also be affected.

Night Overground services on Friday 30 September and Friday 7 October will finish earlier than normal at 04:00 on Saturday morning. There will be no Saturday Night Overground service on Saturday 1 and Saturday 8 October.

On Saturday 1 and Wednesday 5 October, there will be no service on the London Overground.

On Saturday 8 October, there will be a reduced service on the London Overground between 08:00 and 18:00. There will be no service between 04:00 and 08:00, and after 18:00. 

Customers using these services the day after each strike are advised that they should be back to normal by late morning."

Elizabeth Line

"On Saturday 1 and Saturday 8 October, the following disruption is expected on the Elizabeth line:

• Paddington to Abbey Wood: reduced service after 17:45
  • Liverpool Street to Shenfield: services will only run between 07:30 and 17:30 and will be reduced
  • Paddington to Heathrow/Reading: services will only run between 07:40 and 17:10 and will be reduced

On Saturday 1 and Sunday 2 October, there will also be no Piccadilly line service between Acton Town and Heathrow due to planned works. Rail replacement buses will run to Heathrow from both Acton Town and Hammersmith. Customers travelling to Heathrow Airport are advised to use Elizabeth line services between 07:40 and 17:10, and to use replacement buses outside of these times. 

On Sunday 2 and Sunday 9 October, services between Liverpool Street and Shenfield will resume from 06:30, while services between Paddington and Heathrow/Reading will resume from around 08:00. There will be no service between Paddington and Abbey Wood as normal on Sundays."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 30/09/2022 at 22:26, alison said:

From Transport for London today:

"Strike impacts for the week are as follows:

• Limited service on the Bakerloo line between Queen's Park and Harrow & Wealdstone from 08:00 until 18:00, with no service outside of these times on Saturday 1 and Saturday 8 October
  • On Saturday 1 October, there will be limited service on the District line between Wimbledon and Parson's Green, and between Richmond and Turnham Green from 07:15 until 18:30
  • On Saturday 8 October, there will be limited service on the District line between Richmond and Turnham Green from 07:15 until 18:30 and there will be no service between Wimbledon and Earl's Court due to planned works on Saturday 8 and Sunday 9 October
  • London Overground will have no service on Saturday 1 and Wednesday 5 October, and there will be a reduced service between 08:00 and 18:00 on Saturday 8 October
  • The Elizabeth line will have a reduced service on Saturday 1 and Saturday 8 October

Customers using these services the day after each strike are advised that services should return to normal by late morning."

https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/strikes?cid=strikes

London Overground

"The majority of TfL's services will run, but there will be significant disruption on the London Overground. The Elizabeth line, Bakerloo and District lines will also be affected.

Night Overground services on Friday 30 September and Friday 7 October will finish earlier than normal at 04:00 on Saturday morning. There will be no Saturday Night Overground service on Saturday 1 and Saturday 8 October.

On Saturday 1 and Wednesday 5 October, there will be no service on the London Overground.

On Saturday 8 October, there will be a reduced service on the London Overground between 08:00 and 18:00. There will be no service between 04:00 and 08:00, and after 18:00. 

Customers using these services the day after each strike are advised that they should be back to normal by late morning."

Elizabeth Line

"On Saturday 1 and Saturday 8 October, the following disruption is expected on the Elizabeth line:

• Paddington to Abbey Wood: reduced service after 17:45
  • Liverpool Street to Shenfield: services will only run between 07:30 and 17:30 and will be reduced
  • Paddington to Heathrow/Reading: services will only run between 07:40 and 17:10 and will be reduced

On Saturday 1 and Sunday 2 October, there will also be no Piccadilly line service between Acton Town and Heathrow due to planned works. Rail replacement buses will run to Heathrow from both Acton Town and Hammersmith. Customers travelling to Heathrow Airport are advised to use Elizabeth line services between 07:40 and 17:10, and to use replacement buses outside of these times. 

On Sunday 2 and Sunday 9 October, services between Liverpool Street and Shenfield will resume from 06:30, while services between Paddington and Heathrow/Reading will resume from around 08:00. There will be no service between Paddington and Abbey Wood as normal on Sundays."

Very useful info- thanks, Alison. 

Never sure whether to treat the Overground as TfL or rail, so I'm putting it in both:

"National rail strikes are taking place on Wednesday 5 and Saturday 8 October. 

The majority of TfL's services will run, but there will be significant disruption on the London Overground. The Elizabeth line, Bakerloo and District lines will also be affected.

On Wednesday 5 October, there will be no service on the London Overground.

Night Overground services on Friday 7 October will finish earlier than normal at 04:00 on Saturday morning. There will be no Saturday Night Overground service on Saturday 8 October.

Customers using these services the day after each strike are advised that there should be a good service by late morning."

• 4 weeks later...

In a nutshell from TFL

Strikes affecting Tube, London Overground, Elizabeth line and national rail services

Planned strike action by the RMT union will impact a number of TfL services. Visit our website for the most up-to-date information.

Saturday 5, Monday 7 and Wednesday 9 November

Strikes on national rail will affect London Overground and some Tube and Elizabeth line services.

Thursday 10 November

Strikes will affect Tube and London Overground services.

Very relieved for Northern Ballet and Birmingham Royal Ballet that the strike for 3 November has been called off (they both  have matinee and evening shows on Thursday)  - thank you Poppy Day organisers. Unfortunately the new strike date of 9 November now affects ENB’s opening night for the Mats Ek premiere with Blake Works I and Stina Quagebeur’s premiere for her expanded ballet, and the 10 November Tube and Overground strike will hit their second night. And BRB is currently still affected by the Nov 5 Saturday strike.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

How long does the Tube strike carry over disruption typically last? 'Am arriving at LHR the morning of the 11th for the performance that night.  Should I expect disruption/no service on the Picadilly line until noon(ish)?

2 hours ago, oncnp said:

How long does the Tube strike carry over disruption typically last? 'Am arriving at LHR the morning of the 11th for the performance that night.  Should I expect disruption/no service on the Picadilly line until noon(ish)?

It's incredibly variable the morning after the day before.

I'd book a minicar to be on the safe side - e.g. blackberrycars.com  Do not use Addison Lee - they have become very unreliable and are, at best, very late turning up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, alison said:

Posters up in tube stations warning of possible short notice closures this Friday, 25th November. I think they are all Victoria and Piccadilly lines, but do check. Victoria and king's cross among them.

From TFL

Tube stations strike: Friday 25 November
A strike is planned at some Tube stations. If it goes ahead, the stations may open later and close earlier or at short notice. Tube trains will run as normal.

These stations are likely to be affected: 

Euston
Green Park
Heathrow Terminals 2 & 3
Heathrow Terminal 4
Heathrow Terminal 5
Hatton Cross
Hounslow West
King's Cross St Pancras
Victoria

I hope they don’t choose the 6th Dec as I have quite a few friends going to Nutcracker that night and will be dependent on various train lines. I’m not going until 13th. Though there are so many engineering works on around Christmas time that they will scupper many peoples plans no matter the strikes!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

I hope they don’t choose the 6th Dec as I have quite a few friends going to Nutcracker that night and will be dependent on various train lines. I’m not going until 13th. Though there are so many engineering works on around Christmas time that they will scupper many peoples plans no matter the strikes!! 

Waiting with trepidation- I am also booked for the 6th and 16th - don’t really want to have to stay in London overnight!

8 hours ago, alison said:

And now, to add insult to injury, notices have started appearing on London bus stops warning of possible disruption to bus services because of strike action.  No routes, operators or garages specified.  So, who knows?

Abellio buses are striking - see https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/strikes?cid=email_FINAL_TFL976_bus_strike-bus+strike+webpage

I get email updates from tfl about transport issues around London - they're very useful.

• Thanks 1

Probably slightly duplicating the other transport strike thread, but in case that other thread drifts down, I currently have the following train strike dates on the BBC news website:

Sat 26 Nov (11 companies/lines; ie not all routes)

11 & 12 Dec- Avanti West Coast only, but they plan to run some services 

13 & 14 Dec

16 & 17 Dec

3 & 4 Jan

6 & 7 Jan

But before anyone panics and starts returning tickets, just to say that some dates are only partial strikes, and might get called off. Advise checking the info and updates frequently. 

• 1 month later...

"On Thursday 12 January, strike action is expected to affect Elizabeth line services. If the strike goes ahead:

• There will be no service between Paddington and Abbey Wood all day, or before 07:30 on Friday 13 January
  • A Saturday service will run between Liverpool Street (National Rail platform) and Shenfield, with additional services during peak hours
  • There will be a reduced service of two trains per hour each between Paddington (National Rail platform) and Heathrow T4/Reading/Maidenhead, and no service to Heathrow T5
  • On Friday 13 January, east and west services will start as normal, but will run to/from Paddington and Liverpool Street National Rail platforms until approximately 07:30 when the central section of the line is expected to open. A good service is expected from 09:00 across the line

All other services will run as normal but will be busier, particularly those in central London and DLR services. 

From Friday 13 January until Tuesday 28 February, Elizabeth line services could be subject to short notice changes or cancellations due to industrial action. 

Plan ahead, allow more time for your journey and check before you travel

Visit our strike page for more information."

I really hope it's only the Elizabeth Line & no other strikes are added on 12th. Having only just managed today to swap my ENB Swan Lake ticket from 13th to 12th, after days of checking the website for returns, I'll be extremely annoyed if there's suddenly a general rail strike on 12th & I can't go after all!

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I really hope it's only the Elizabeth Line & no other strikes are added on 12th. Having only just managed today to swap my ENB Swan Lake ticket from 13th to 12th, after days of checking the website for returns, I'll be extremely annoyed if there's suddenly a general rail strike on 12th & I can't go after all!

Unions have to give at least 7 days’ notice of strike action.

• Thanks 3

According to BBC News - 

If workers agree to strike, details must be given to the employer at least 14 days before it begins (unless the union and employer agree to seven days).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1