Press Release: English National Ballet launches international search for new Artistic Director

Header_Dec2019For immediate release: Wednesday 13 April 2022

English National Ballet launches international search for new Artistic Director 

English National Ballet has today launched an international search for a new Artistic Director to succeed Tamara Rojo CBE who, as previously announced, steps down towards the end of this year.

Sir Roger Carr, Chair of English National Ballet said: “This is an exciting moment for English National Ballet as we embark on a global search for our next Artistic Director. We are seeking someone who can bring a clear artistic vision for English National Ballet, to build on Tamara Rojo’s inspiring legacy and keep us at the forefront of leading ballet companies into the future.”

Under their leadership, the new Artistic Director will ensure that English National Ballet continues to celebrate the classics, to create new, innovative work and to reach wide-ranging audiences around the UK, at international venues and through the Company’s digital platforms. They will also play an important role in supporting English National Ballet’s extensive education, participation, community and Dance Health programmes and the Company’s support for Arts Council England’s Let’s Create strategy.

A sub-committee of English National Ballet’s Board of Trustees has been established to undertake the search process, led by Sue Butcher, Vice Chair, alongside Caroline Thomson, Sue Sloan and Kamara Gray.

The Search Committee will be supported in identifying and evaluating potential candidates by an Artistic Advisory Panel, who bring a wealth of knowledge and experience of the international dance sector and the wider arts environment in the UK.

The panel comprises, in alphabetical order:

Baroness Deborah Bull - Vice President, Communities & National Engagement and Senior Advisory Fellow for Culture at King’s College London

Cate Canniffe - Director of Dance at Arts Council England

Sir Nicholas Hytner - Artistic Director of the Bridge Theatre

Sir Alistair Spalding - Artistic Director & Chief Executive of Sadler’s Wells

International recruitment consultants, Odgers Berndtson, have been appointed to assist with the search. 

For more information, please visit www.odgers.com/85718. If you are interested in an informal conversation about the role, please contact Samantha Colt: Samantha.Colt@odgersberndtson.com or Emilia Billett Emilia.Billett@odgersberndtson.com

English National Ballet is grateful for the generous grant it has been awarded through the Government's Culture Recovery Fund, which allows it to continue to create, perform and serve its audiences.

Notes to Editors

English National Ballet is a National Portfolio Organisation supported by Arts Council England. 

Ballymore is Principal Building Partner of English National Ballet.

About English National Ballet 
English National Ballet has a long and distinguished history. Founded in 1950 as London Festival Ballet by the great English Dancers Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin, it has been at the forefront of ballet's growth and evolution ever since.

English National Ballet brings world-class ballet to the widest possible audience through live performances across the UK and on eminent international stages; its digital platforms Ballet on Demand and BalletActive; its distinguished orchestra, English National Ballet Philharmonic; and being a UK leader in creative learning and engagement practice, building innovative partnerships to deliver flagship programmes such as English National Ballet's Dance for Parkinson's.

Under the artistic directorship of Tamara Rojo CBE, English National Ballet has introduced ground-breaking new works to the Company's repertoire whilst continuing to honour the tradition of great classical ballet, gaining acclaim for artistic excellence and creativity. 2019 saw English National Ballet enter a new chapter in its history when it moved into a purpose-built state-of-the-art home in east London, Mulryan Centre for Dance, bringing a renewed commitment to, and freedom for, creativity, ambition, and connection to more people, near and far, than ever before. www.ballet.org.uk  

About Arts Council England 
Arts Council England is the national development agency for creativity and culture. We have set out our strategic vision in Let's Create that by 2030 we want England to be a country in which the creativity of each of us is valued and given the chance to flourish and where everyone of us has access to a remarkable range of high quality cultural experiences. We invest public money from Government and The National Lottery to help support the sector and to deliver this vision. www.artscouncil.org.uk

Following the Covid-19 crisis, the Arts Council developed a £160 million Emergency Response Package with nearly 90% coming from the National Lottery, for organisations and individuals needing support. We are also one of several bodies administering the Government's Culture Recovery Fund and unprecedented support package of £1.57 billion for the culture and heritage sector. Find out more at www.artscouncil.org.uk/covid19  

• Like 2

The job spec. makes interesting reading as does the following statement in the Press Release:

"Under their leadership, the new Artistic Director will ensure that English National Ballet continues to celebrate the classics, to create new, innovative work and to reach wide-ranging audiences around the UK, at international venues and through the Company’s digital platforms."

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, capybara said:

The job spec. makes interesting reading as does the following statement in the Press Release:

"Under their leadership, the new Artistic Director will ensure that English National Ballet continues to celebrate the classics, to create new, innovative work and to reach wide-ranging audiences around the UK, at international venues and through the Company’s digital platforms."

I'll be looking forward to the company reaching wide-ranging audiences around the UK!

• Like 8

It sounds to me like it’s not been a wall in the park getting a successor to Rojo…

Don’t we more usually get knowledge of a successor within days/weeks of announcements of key staff leaving in this industry? That ‘recruitment’ is quietly done behind the scenes & usually without costly recruitment consultants…? But I really am only speculating! 
There are so many talented people who could fit the bill but then Ms Rojo’s shoes must be mightily hard to try on Lee alone fill…. Reverse Cinderella…. If the person fits…! 

6 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

It sounds to me like it’s not been a wall in the park getting a successor to Rojo…

Don’t we more usually get knowledge of a successor within days/weeks of announcements of key staff leaving in this industry? That ‘recruitment’ is quietly done behind the scenes & usually without costly recruitment consultants…? But I really am only speculating! 
There are so many talented people who could fit the bill but then Ms Rojo’s shoes must be mightily hard to try on Lee alone fill…. Reverse Cinderella…. If the person fits…! 

It seems to be fairly standard to use recruitment consultants these days.  Northern Ballet certainly did and, in fact, it took over 6 months to announce Federico Bonelli's appointment at NB.  The job advert was issued a couple of weeks after David Nixon's retirement announcement on 28 May 2021.

What has surprised me is how long it has taken ENB to advertise the job given that the announcement of Ms Rojo's departure was made on 11th January.

I'm not quite sure what role the consultants play in the recruitment process but it was suggested to me a while ago that they may identify people who may be approached to see if they would like to apply for the post... (as well as people being able to apply of their own volition).

• Like 4

3 hours ago, capybara said:

As a northerner I really welcome the idea of reaching a wide range of audiences around the UK. Re starting the Tour de Force small company would be a great start as well as performing full length ballets in larger theatres (starting with Raymonda somewhere in the North, please!)

However, yet again the spec seems to concentrate on the classics and modern works and ignoring anything in between.  Is it a coincidence that England's 3 largest ballet companies all seem to almost have a policy of largely ignoring twentieth century classics (especially short works) and collectively concentrate on the nineteenth and 21st century works? I know Macmillans full length works are in some reps, especially RB but that may be partly at least to do with the presence of Lady Macmillan who is around to promote them. Also they are seen as modern ballets. Alas, other choreographers such as Ashton, the Ballet Russes choreographers and even Balanchine (in this country) don't have an influential spokesperson and end up not being given the stage time they truly deserve.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

BRB took their time too I think.

Yes, given that David Bintley gave over a year's notice of his retirement.

I suppose the companies want to make sure they get someone who is the right fit (even if the audience doesn't always agree).

20 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

even Balanchine (in this country) don't have an influential spokesperson and end up not being given the stage time they truly deserve.

I believe that if they are out of the period for which they have been licensed (not sure if that is the correct term) Balanchine works are very expensive to mount.

BRB was very luck to have Desmond Kelly for so many years in whom the Balanchine Trust placed their trust for BRB to mount ballets they had previously done.  That presumably would have meant that the costs for mounting them would have been reduced.

I believe Cranko works are also extremely expensive to acquire.

29 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Perhaps the need to cast the net internationally at this point is because identifying a home-grown talent prepared to take the job has been unsuccessful. 

I think that launching an 'international search' is probably essential to bolster the image and status of the company (even if they already have someone (or several people) in mind, home-grown or not). It also allows the company to state that the new director, whoever that ends up being, was appointed after considering the widest possible field of candidates.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I think that launching an 'international search' is probably essential to bolster the image and status of the company (even if they already have someone (or several people) in mind, home-grown or not). It also allows the company to state that the new director, whoever that ends up being, was appointed after considering the widest possible field of candidates.

Exactly. They want the best possible fit wherever he or she might come from.

If you look at all the role and person details it is clear why it has taken a while to kick start the process.

• Like 2

No-one here has commented on the panel but I am concerned that, in my view at least, there is no-one currently associated with ballet, as opposed to dance. Obviously Deborah Bull is a former RB principal and then involved with the Linbury for some years but now has a much broader role in the arts and HE. Spalding, although he does put on some ballet at the Wells, prioritises dance more generally and although there are now links between ENB and SWT the emphasis is very much on contemporary ballet. There is a representative of the Arts Council but many of us have doubts about the way ACE appears to be emasculating classical ballet. I would have liked a representative of a UK ballet company to be involved. Christopher Hampson, AD of Scottish Ballet, would have been an excellent choice (assuming that he isn't planning on applying).

• Like 8

2 hours ago, SheilaC said:

No-one here has commented on the panel but I am concerned that, in my view at least, there is no-one currently associated with ballet, as opposed to dance. Obviously Deborah Bull is a former RB principal and then involved with the Linbury for some years but now has a much broader role in the arts and HE. Spalding, although he does put on some ballet at the Wells, prioritises dance more generally and although there are now links between ENB and SWT the emphasis is very much on contemporary ballet. There is a representative of the Arts Council but many of us have doubts about the way ACE appears to be emasculating classical ballet. I would have liked a representative of a UK ballet company to be involved. Christopher Hampson, AD of Scottish Ballet, would have been an excellent choice (assuming that he isn't planning on applying).

Do you really believe a current Artistic Director of one of the few UK ballet companies will be appropriate to choose the Artistic Director of a competitor ballet company? So if, for instance, Coca Cola needs a new CEO should Pepsi’s CEO be on the choosing panel?

3 minutes ago, Erica said:

Do you really believe a current Artistic Director of one of the few UK ballet companies will be appropriate to choose the Artistic Director of a competitor ballet company? So if, for instance, Coca Cola needs a new CEO should Pepsi’s CEO be on the choosing panel?

However, someone who is retired or retiring (Sir David Bintley or David Nixon) might have been a real asset.

I believe that Sir Peter Wright was an adviser to the panel when Kevin O'Hare was appointed to be the Director of The Royal Ballet.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Erica said:

That is a bit of an extreme example and, as Capybara has pointed out, it could be a retired or retiring AD.  The companies are not in competition, they complement each other.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

That is a bit of an extreme example and, as Capybara has pointed out, it could be a retired or retiring AD.  The companies are not in competition, they complement each other.

Yes, exactly, they increasingly work together on topics of mutual concern, and some are on each other's boards (eg Kevin O'Hare is on the Northern Ballet board).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

This thread has been quiet now for quite a while…. Anyone heard anything on the ballet grapevine as surely time is ticking on….

There's no news yet Peanut.  As an indicator it took Northern Ballet just over 6 months from the advert to appointing Federico Bonelli and the company had strict rules about no-one releasing information.  I would imagine that ENB has similar strictures in place.

• Thanks 1

I have been told by someone who applied that they were told they wouldn't hear anything for at least 30 days from the closing date, in order for all applications to be properly assessed by the recruitment team.

This person has danced in the UK but is currently US-based so yes, there is international interest in the position.

I hope, admins, that this is sufficiently general information to be acceptable.

Edited by Sophoife
Added para re international interest
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, FionaE said:

Intrigued by the lengthy process …

I'm not ... as I said higher up the thread it took Northern Ballet over 6 months from David Nixon's resignation announcement to the announcement of Federico Bonelli's appointment.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I'm not ... as I said higher up the thread it took Northern Ballet over 6 months from David Nixon's resignation announcement to the announcement of Federico Bonelli's appointment.

Thank you. Very good point.  And even longer between retirement & replacement announcements at both ABT and SFB I think.  

• Like 1

Does anyone think Friends of ENB might be told before it’s made public? 
They often put time embargo’s ..usually just a couple of hours …before certain announcements so perhaps should look out for an ENB email? 

13 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

I think this is because Bonelli was still a (very active) dancer.  If they take on a retired dancer, it could be sooner.  I wait with bated breath.