• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a cracker of a night! I can safely say that everyone practically floated out of Sadler’s Wells tonight after this fabulous double bill.

While apprehensive beforehand about the length of the evening (1hr20 in total including interval), and the cutting of Approximate Sonata (one of my favourite ballets) - all of my qualms were instantaneously quashed by these two beautiful remaining pieces.

Blake Works I is a true love letter to classical ballet and the rich heritage it possesses. A graceful work, but still retaining a witty flourish. The seamless and perfectly measured corps sequences adorned with jagged solos and the occasional punchy Forsythian counterpoint here and there. It’s true eye candy for those die hard neoclassical fans in the audience. But it also has a wonderful humanity, it never strays into the academic too much to alienate its audience (which seemed very mixed in age and background tonight). Strong standouts were Rhys Antoni Yeomans, a technically masterful Isaac Hernandez, a lush Angela Wood, and the wonderful Emily Suzuki (still, surprisingly, in the corps) taking on one of the principal roles.

Playlist is all entertainment and divertissement. From the very beginning the audience were engaged, hooting and whistling even before the fireworks of the now legendary ‘Impossible’ section (which was perfect as always). This ballet is such a ray of sunshine it melted away any of the unseasonable snow London was struck by today. Precious Adams showed supreme command of the stage in the wonderful ‘Location’ pas de deux, while Shiori Kase and Emily Suzuki (once again) attacked each step an assassin’s precision. Erik Woolhouse was a firecracker bringing the house down especially with one never ending pirouette, and Jeffrey Cirio and Henry Dowden filled each step with great musicality and precision. 

As a side note, I brought two friends of mine along tonight (who are also in their twenties). One is a burgeoning balletomane while the other counts this as his second time ever seeing a dance production and both loved it. Judging from the beaming smiles of many of the other audience members of my age bracket while exiting SW, I feel we weren’t alone. This made me reflect on Forsythe’s philosophy in ballet, and I realised that while it can be misconstrued that he sees three act classical ballets as starchy, endurance works - what he probably means is that people just need an “in” to the ballet world, something that shows the world how exciting and engaging ballet can be. This double bill does just that. 

Tickets are still going, all I can say is go! If anything it’s a great pick me up from this awful cold snap we’re suffering right now!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

What a FABULOUS evening of brilliant choreography, superbly danced by ENB; one of the most uplifting evenings at the ballet. Sadlers Wells was on fire and this old lady joined in the whooping and hollering like an excited teenager. Surely this is the way to attract new audiences to dance. 

• Like 14

From The Box Office have sent me an email offering tickets to The Forsythe Evening but the prices quoted are more expensive than are available from Sadler's Wells itself. - eg they are selling £25 tickets for £28.75.   Maybe Capybara has been sent a different link?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

LACAD and Annamk you’ve almost persuaded me to buy a ticket now. 
I will have one opportunity to go next Friday as am in London for ROH the day before I’m really tempted now!!! 

Do go !!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

LACAD and Annamk you’ve almost persuaded me to buy a ticket now. 
I will have one opportunity to go next Friday as am in London for ROH the day before I’m really tempted now!!! 

You must go! I couldn’t resist temptation and went to today’s matinee. 

Even with this week’s other cast everything holds up brilliantly. You wouldn’t be able to tell it was a quiet matinee audience from the cheering after Playlist.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, capybara said:

Reduced price tickets now available for all performances on the From The Box Office website.

https://www.fromtheboxoffice.com/city/2957-london/1E7MY-enb-the-forsythe-evening/?utm_source=From+The+Box+Office+Newsletter&utm_campaign=e554fbfb57-Dance+-+The+Forsythe+Evening%2C+Paco+Pena&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0ab28542ae-e554fbfb57-97100877&mc_cid=e554fbfb57&mc_eid=b0fd97435d

This is the website which comes up when I click the link sent me.

You will see why I didn’t post it before! I’ve tested it from my post and it seems to work!

Edited by capybara
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, capybara said:

Reduced price tickets now available for all performances on the From The Box Office website.

Are you sure they're reduced?  Mine aren't - and they have a booking fee added.  FTBO can be sneaky like that.

8 hours ago, alison said:

Are you sure they're reduced?  Mine aren't - and they have a booking fee added.  FTBO can be sneaky like that.

I clicked a seat in the Stalls in which I was interested and it was definitely reduced. I didn’t proceed to buy it because I needed the casting for the coming week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capybara said:

I clicked a seat in the Stalls in which I was interested and it was definitely reduced. I didn’t proceed to buy it because I needed the casting for the coming week.

Capybara, the casting for the rest of the run is up now!

I still bought from Sadler’s Wells though. Even despite their booking charges (£3.50 per booking, but cheaper than many other venues), I still like supporting my former local theatre from years ago (it used to be within walking distance, woo hoo! Not any more though). 

Thank you to all members who posted reviews. It sounds really  worthwhile and not too short, so I’ve booked two shows now. On the plus side, it must have been a bonus for those taking trains - especially on premiere night when it was freezing! - to be able to leave early.

Edited by Emeralds

4 hours ago, capybara said:

I think only the ones with the little circles on are reduced. 

12 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Does anyone know if these are Jeffrey Cirio’s last performances with ENB?  

I would imagine that sadly these are his last performances with ENB in London.  Hopefully we will at some future point be able to once again enjoy seeing Boston Ballet in our capital.  He is scheduled to dance in ENB's production of Khan's Giselle in Barcelona and I would imagine he will be doing the same in Paris.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Given people here are reviewing this so highly and praising it, I have just booked a ticket for this week as I'm in London.  I've not seen ENB for ages so am looking forward to the outing.  

Edited by Tango Dancer
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, PeterS said:

Does anyone know if these are Jeffrey Cirio’s last performances with ENB?  

Yes, I believe they are - in Britain, that is. It’s the last run of performances  and last programme of ENB’s 2022-2023 season in the U.K. (incredibly).  There is the Emerging Dancer competition for online audiences, but he won’t be eligible for that and it’s not in front of a paying audience. Am really surprised nothing has been announced for summer (June or July) - no Royal Albert Hall, no Festival Hall, nothing at all, unlike last year and pre Covid years.

• Like 1

Great to see all the glowing reviews on here and in the press! I’m very much looking forward to going next weekend and glad others have been convinced to attend. This is what contemporary ballet should be - a reference to and clear use of classical ballet, but with creative exploration of that - and ultimately it needs to be engaging and stunning to watch, which this certainly seems to be gathering from audience reactions from comments. 

I wonder if O’Hare attends ballet performances of other companies, perhaps he could learn a thing or two from ENB here with regard to commissioning new work…

• Like 3

Went to opening night but haven’t had a moment to post! It was an evening of pure joy and both pieces really make the company shine.

Highlights for me were Precious Adams and Rhys Antoni Yeomans (a promotion surely overdue). Every dancer genuinely seemed to be having the best time on stage and my only criticism is that it was like watching an incredible party that you just couldn’t join!

Forsythe was there are came out for curtain calls, not sure if this is an every night occurrence. 

If you don’t have a ticket get one before you kick yourself for not going!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JNC said:

Great to see all the glowing reviews on here and in the press! I’m very much looking forward to going next weekend and glad others have been convinced to attend. This is what contemporary ballet should be - a reference to and clear use of classical ballet, but with creative exploration of that - and ultimately it needs to be engaging and stunning to watch, which this certainly seems to be gathering from audience reactions from comments. 

I wonder if O’Hare attends ballet performances of other companies, perhaps he could learn a thing or two from ENB here with regard to commissioning new work…

When not watching the Royal Ballet, Kevin O’Hare can often be seen watching and supporting other companies. He was at today’s matinee at Sadlers Wells and then back at the ROH tonight where the evening ended with a standing ovation from the audience. 

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 4

Went to the matinee today. No Forsythe at the curtain call, but all the dancers in fine form. Their joy in dancing this show is palpable. And infectious. 

Wonder if Tamara will bring this to San Francisco? Would be a huge hit there imo. Speaking of Tamara, will there be any formal send off / celebration from ENB?

A really great, albeit short, bill - ENB 2, RB 1 (in case anyone's wondering, Forsythe followed by DGV is very doable, if you don't mind trying to weave your way around all the roadworks between Sadler's Wells and the ROH - there seem to be vast amounts of them).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Candleque said:

Went to the matinee today. No Forsythe at the curtain call, but all the dancers in fine form. Their joy in dancing this show is palpable. And infectious. 

Wonder if Tamara will bring this to San Francisco? Would be a huge hit there imo. Speaking of Tamara, will there be any formal send off / celebration from ENB?

San Francisco has already performed Blake Works 1. 

• Like 2