The ROH booking website - what can we do?

Friday Rush a total disaster today - don't know what was happening.  Asked for the seating map - got a blank screen.  Every time I tried to do a Refresh on the seating, I got landed in the Checkout.  Go back a couple of steps - blank screen.  Refresh.  Checkout.  Back to the Swan Lake page and go in again.  Blank screen.  Refresh.  Checkout.  Rinse and repeat. 

Just tried with the 14th.  Same thing.

Oh well, there was that nice-sounding concert I could go to tomorrow instead ...

• Like 1

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a slightly better ticket in my basket for Swan Lake tomorrow so cancelled my existing ticket, and then went to buy the new one and it had disappeared so now I can't go at all... absolutely gutted!!!

Edit: Managed to get the ticket I wanted eventually as it reappeared but have now wasted £8 on admin fees, nightmare!

Edited by Lucy M
Update

@Lucy M On the ticket cancellation screen it says "Any outstanding items will be removed from your basket when you cancel tickets. " so I guess you must have fallen foul of that. Though goodness only knows why the ROH website does that.

@alison Getting redirected to the checkout screen is a new one on me. In recent Friday rushes (though I wasn't trying today) it's sent me back to the production page when I've tried to go onto seating plans a number of times. That at least has some logic to it but sending someone to the checkout before they can get on the seating plan is completely illogical!

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Lucy M Yes, in future buying the new ticket before returning the old one is the safer option. Though I realise that doesn't work if you want to use the credit from the old ticket to pay for the new one. What did you go for to replace stalls circle C17?

• Like 1

I logged on, got in quickly and the same thing kept happening to me @alison.  I checked again a few hours later and managed to get one ticket, though I wanted two, then an hour after that I got another (better) ticket.  It means my son will have to sit on his own, but he assured me it is worth it!   He’s also claimed the better seat 😆😬.  I’m so thrilled as this was the cast I wanted to see the most, but it had sold out by the time I was home from work the day booking opened.

@Dawnstar that was exactly what I was trying to do - have put some of it towards a good seat for one of the Ashton triples in June instead. I've got C23 still in the stalls circle as the view looked ever so slightly better being further around, shall assess tomorrow whether I've made the right decision or not!

@Lucy M The viewing angle is a bit better because of being further round but the pillar which severely blocks C22 is somewhat obtrusive in C23 as well. The view from the seat photos for C23 and its opposite number C90 are not entirely accurate in my opinion as they show the pillar as being less obtrusive than I have found it in reality. Sorry if I'm sounding depressing but I have seen a lot of performances from the side stalls bench seats over the years and, while I personally accept the view restrictions as a trade off for the close-up views, I think people need to have realistic expectations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had another survey about being a Friend today- including a section on booking, so I expressed pleasure that it all worked last time but did comment again on previous problems, hoping they have been solved now.

The survey was quite good this time and did allow space for comment on a range of issues.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

May 24th Winter's Tale currently not showing on the ROH website :(  Another unspecified performance claiming to be sold out when it isn't :(  

• Like 1

They also seem to be attempting to launch a new 'The Royal Ballet and Opera' page with some technical difficulty... hopefully everything will be fixed soon!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lucy M said:

They also seem to be attempting to launch a new 'The Royal Ballet and Opera' page with some technical difficulty...

When is there not some technical difficulty with the RBO website? Plus ça change …

• Like 1

13 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

I’m a bit confused - I have a ticket for the 24th performance, why has it completely vanished from the website? It doesn’t even say sold out, it’s just gone.

Has it been cancelled for some reason?

It still isn't showing at all, including on the calendar. ??

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, bridiem said:

The "Live at Lunch" that day has also disappeared, but the tours are still showing.  The photo on my account for that performance has changed from TWT to generic dancer 

E-mails in to Customer Service and the Box Office.  

Edited by oncnp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Quick reply from the Box Office

I can confirm that the performance of The Winter's Tale on May 24 is still going ahead and your tickets are still valid - I apologise for the confusion. Please refresh the page and it should be visible on the website shortly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

While the website behaved nicely for Friday rush today for me, the subsequent emails have been rather odd. The normal pattern once a rush ticket has been booked is to get the order confirmation pretty quickly & then the ticket email a little later. Today the ticket email turned up after half an hour but the order confirmation didn't arrive until after 6pm. I think that's the first time I've ever had the order confirmation hours after the ticket!

• Like 1

I think this is the best place for this question rather than the summer booking thread. 
Anyway and apologise if this seems a ridiculous question. 
But is there anyway you can set up notifications with the ROH about certain performances eg: a particular performance you are interested in is “sold out” but a few tickets suddenly become available and you get a text/email message alerting you to this fact? 
If this is currently pie in the sky how easy would it be technically to set this possibility up? Obviously loads of people would want it but could not some automatic message be sent out you’ve signed up for by the ROH computer system to say tickets have just become available? 
Just hoping some miraculous technology can save continual fruitless checking of “sold out” performances!! 

• Like 2

@LinMM I believe Paris Opera have a feature like that on their website so it is possible to do but I don’t think the ROH website has this functionality. Also every time I received such a notification from Paris the tickets were sold out by the time you looked, so unless you happen to immediately click when you get the alert it doesn’t lead to much success. 

I don’t think it’s a bad idea but personally these things can often cause more disappointment for me personally (knowing I’d missed an opportunity rather than remaining ignorant of it). Not that it’s mutually exclusive but I think Friday Rush is a good alternative - everyone knows what time they go live and it sort of levels the playing field a bit if you do want to pick up something relatively last minute. 

• Like 3

On 17/05/2024 at 11:09, LinMM said:

I think this is the best place for this question rather than the summer booking thread. 
Anyway and apologise if this seems a ridiculous question. 
But is there anyway you can set up notifications with the ROH about certain performances eg: a particular performance you are interested in is “sold out” but a few tickets suddenly become available and you get a text/email message alerting you to this fact? 
If this is currently pie in the sky how easy would it be technically to set this possibility up? Obviously loads of people would want it but could not some automatic message be sent out you’ve signed up for by the ROH computer system to say tickets have just become available? 
Just hoping some miraculous technology can save continual fruitless checking of “sold out” performances!! 

Back in the day, Susan Fisher used to give Friends who liked the now discontinued stalls circle seats nearest the stage the chance to book them before they went on general resale but that practice stopped when she retired and those seats are, of course, no longer available. I'm not aware of any other notifications.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

FYI - esp if you are booking tomorrow (or today depending on where you are) ......

They may just be experimenting or in mid update, but "My Account" has a very different appearance tonight.

If you are looking for your account credit, which used to be a separate tab for me, it is now under PAYMENTS AND CREDIT (scroll down - stream payments show up first).

In addition, MY TICKETS seems to be listed by production, then date, not date only as it was before, so you may have to scroll a bit. No options for programs, champaign or ice cream. 

If you are a Friend, there is a new "Friend's Area"  which currently has a couple of Insights and the digital Friend's magazine and season  guide

Edited by oncnp
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, oncnp said:

FYI - esp if you are booking tomorrow (or today depending on where you are) ......

They may just be experimenting or in mid update, but "My Account" has a very different appearance tonight.

If you are looking for your account credit, which used to be a separate tab for me, it is now under PAYMENTS AND CREDIT (scroll down - stream payments show up first).

In addition, MY TICKETS seems to be listed by production, then date, not date only as it was before, so you may have to scroll a bit. No options for programs, champaign or ice cream. 

If you are a Friend, there is a new "Friend's Area"  which currently has a couple of Insights and the digital Friend's magazine and season  guide

I too noticed the new layout today, which unfortunately is far more inefficient than what it replaced. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, oncnp said:

In addition, MY TICKETS seems to be listed by production, then date, not date only as it was before, so you may have to scroll a bit. 

In my account, the tickets are listed neither by production nor by date. The tickets are divided into months but, within each month, the productions and the dates don't seem to follow any pattern.  For example, if there are two performances in one day, the evening performance is listed in one place and the matinée performance is listed somewhere further down the list with other performances (and other productions!)  separating the two.  I'd be interested to know if the tickets on anybody else's account appear in this same haphazard fashion.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

In my account, the tickets are listed neither by production nor by date. The tickets are divided into months but, within each month, the productions and the dates don't seem to follow any pattern.  For example, if there are two performances in one day, the evening performance is listed in one place and the matinée performance is listed somewhere further down the list with other performances (and other productions!)  separating the two.  I'd be interested to know if the tickets on anybody else's account appear in this same haphazard fashion.

I've just looked at my account and this seems to be the case for me too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

After booking this AM and placing several orders for fear of losing seats mine appears to be in the order they were purchased

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

After booking this AM and placing several orders for fear of losing seats mine appears to be in the order they were purchased

Now you mention it, that could well be the case with mine too. I booked some, cancelled some and re-booked others so it's a bit difficult to be sure!

This doesn't apply to my account.  I did my ballet booking before my opera booking.  The tickets are grouped into months and in each month the first ticket listed is for an opera.  Following this,  opera tickets and ballet tickets are completely mixed up and the dates are all over the place.  My account has had problems in the past and it took a while before the IT department could fix them. Maybe not all accounts are affected?

Can we not see previous tickets anymore, not sure if it’s just because I’m on my mobile but it appears to only show future events? 

If they removed it it’s a shame - it’s always a handy reference point for previous seats (and also to see how much prices have increased!). 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, JNC said:

Can we not see previous tickets anymore, not sure if it’s just because I’m on my mobile but it appears to only show future events? 

If they removed it it’s a shame - it’s always a handy reference point for previous seats (and also to see how much prices have increased!). 

Not showing on my office desktop either. If they are going to change things I just wish they'd tell us first. 

• Like 2

It also shows upcoming events in reverse order so the nearest event is at the bottom of the list, which seems odd.

Very disappointing that details of previous tickets are no longer available.

• Like 1