New rankings etc

Please could we have some explanation of your new system? - bit of a surprise to wake up to find I'm a Newbie.

(Apologies if I've missed an anouncement and also for posting this in the wrong place originally.)

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Jane S said:

Please could we have some explanation of your new system? - bit of a surprise to wake up to find I'm a Newbie.

(Apologies if I've missed an anouncement and also for posting this in the wrong place originally.)

Same here ! 🤔

You've got to question the point of a system that is giving someone that's been here over 9 years and 700+ posts a 'newbie' badge.😆 Presumably you'll be given a tour of how the forum works and where everything is as well?

• Like 1

Hi all.  This was an automatic 'upgrade' to the system over which we have no control, unfortunately.  Dave, our technical wizard, will explain more, but in the meantime I am just happy that I have finally got my Blue Peter badge!!  🤣

• Like 3

Hi everyone

Yes, we had an update last night / this morning. Had a lot of problems running it through as my browser/computer/the internet was throwing a complete wobbly last night, so I put through the update on auto, and left it run overnight (this will account for some poor connectivity in the wee hours of this morning). At least it did complete, and my internet connections also seem restored. I then had an appointment this morning so had little chance to catch up on what was occurring.

What it left us with was some background admin console fixes/updates for 'behind the scenes', and this new 'rankings system'. If you look at your personal profile on here, you will see the levels you can 'attain'. Unfortunately in some respects, it reset just about everybody to zero again. There may be something running in the background that as people log on, the system rechecks your (recent) activity and automatically 'awards badges'. I've not seen enough of it doing so to confirm this or not. So bear with us - or get posting and earn a badge! (ahem)

It should NOT affect postings future, current or historical, apart from the wee symbols on your ID disc (top left of each individual post - the 'Z' in the olive-green disc in my case)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Is there any way to get rid of that ludicrous badge?

Only by switching the whole thing off, I'm afraid.

I can do that if enough people hate the whole idea, but suggest we let it run for a few days at least, to see how it builds up (there is currently a background process running which may take a wee while to complete - and is why the badge disappeared for the moment).

The idea behind it I believe, is to stir up some 'community spirit'. Not sure how mnay of us would be up for that though!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alison said:

What's this about badges?  The only thing I've got is my Moderator's badge, which I always had.  And non-Mods are simply showing up as "Members" to me.

there is a process running that has temporarily removed them - they will return when that ends, and I think will reflect better people's longevity and volume of postings

• Like 4

I think it's caught up with itself.  This morning when I looked I was a Rookie and had just won my 1 year badge (I've been on since 2011) but this evening I've progressed to Proficient and have 7 badges!!!

I think once we get used to it the rankings may be a useful visual clue as to how long someone has been active on the forum when you look at something they post.

• Like 2

This is beyond hilarious!

I see that I have been given a 'title' which seems better suited to a Masonic Lodge than ballet appreciation.

Also, earlier today, a notice flashed up on my phone to say I had won a BCF award but it didn't stay up long enough for me to read it or bask in whatever glory it bestowed on me 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alison said:

I still haven't got one :(

Dave, is there an option to change them to Corps de ballet, Coryphée, Soloist, Principal, Artistic Director etc.? :)

I'll have a look tomorrow, I know you can create 'new' badges, but how you tie them in with the actions, I'd have to work out

1 hour ago, Balletfanp said:

Well, apparently I have earned my “One year in” badge, so I’m frankly feeling rather superior to all you Newbies! 🤣🤣🤣

And now I have just earned the “Very popular” badge! My head won’t fit through the average doorway before too long…. 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Balletfanp said:

And now I have just earned the “Very popular” badge! My head won’t fit through the average doorway before too long…. 🤣🤣🤣

Ah, I think that was what I ‘won’ yesterday 😂

Presumably this ‘improvement’ is a one which is standard to all platforms in the ‘suite’ to which BCF belongs?

Another change (but not really an improvement) is the way items within each forum are now listed on certain devices.

10 hours ago, alison said:

I still haven't got one :(

Dave, is there an option to change them to Corps de ballet, Coryphée, Soloist, Principal, Artistic Director etc.? :)

I think I can change the titles of the ranks - but we'd need to decide what they are called. There are 14 altogether, though the earliest levels could be left as is (newbie, rookie etc). Of course, most regulars would just be in the higher ones, and wouldn't see a 'progression' through, as would someone who has just joined, unless we reset everyone back to zero again...

55 minutes ago, Melody said:

Any system that makes me a mentor about something other than British royalty and Christmas traditions is a very deficient system. I hope nobody's taking these things seriously.

No, I am pretty sure no one is! 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 18/06/2021 at 07:55, zxDaveM said:

We have switched the badges/rankings system 'off', as no one seemed to have anything positive to say about them, and we could see no real value in having them there,

So bye-bye badges

Hi Dave,

I’ve missed the above mini-furore about badges. I’m afraid the lack of live ballet resulted in my less than commendable attention to the detail of the forum but now, armed with both tickets and anticipation, I’ve signed in again. 

I am puzzled by the little blue badges that you and other mods seem to be sporting on your posts and, having asked for clarification elsewhere, was helpfully referred to this thread. 

Although you say “bye-bye badges” they still seem to be next to your name and photo and the names/posts of other mods. in addition, you are described as 'moderator' or 'committee'.

So, I’m just not clear why some of you have blue badges next to your names. Is it that you’re more important, that your opinions and posts are more worthy than the posts of other members without badges, or is it technologically akin to those little enamel lapel membership badges than some people wear

I had thought, and hope that it is still the case that the Forum members are all equal and that their opinions and posts had equal value. 

Best,

Robert