Carla Fracci RIP

It has been announced that Carla Fracci has passed away at the age of 84 after a long illness.  

https://www.gramilano.com/2021/05/ballet-legend-carla-fracci-dies-at-84/

She was a truly extraordinary artist whose gossamer gifts I was privileged to witness on any number of occasions.  I cherish those memories.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 11

Indeed.  She was a direct link back to the days of the romantic ballerina.  I have a treasured DVD which includes her dancing with Erik Bruhn.  Her style was such a contrast to the more athletic dancers of today.

Edited by Two Pigeons
  • Like 5

I echo everyone’s sentiments. Huge loss for the art of pure classical ballet...not just her divine dancing but also her championing and sponsoring of historical reconstructions in several locales in Italy, especially in Rome, where she served as A.D. La Vestale, Talisman, La Gitana, Red Poppy, Excelsior, La Chatte, Nightingale, Tyl Eulenspiegel, etc.

I had the honor of meeting her in the audience at La Scala during intermission of the premiere of Vikharev’s Raymonda reconstruction. So gracious & beautiful, all in white!

Rest In Peace, Carla Fracci.

• Like 9

Ahh, a ballerina from my childhood .So very elegant, the epitome of the graceful ballerina both off stage and on. I have some treasured videos of her performances. I was reminded of her recently watching the film Nijinsky in which she was perfectly cast as Tamara Karsavina

• Like 5

I also saw her dance in a Festival of Ballet in  Coventry in 1961.  She danced Spectre de la Rose with John Gilpin and other pieces.  The evening also had  dancers such as Anton Dolin and Rosella Hightower.  A wonderful evening.

• Like 2

Carla Fracci was a constant presence and leaves now a huge void in Italian culture and art.

Italian television (RAI1) is broadcasting right now live her funeral.

Here below a video of ATM (Azienta Traporti Milanese) paying respect opposite La Scala Theatre, yesterday, during the wake. Her father was a tram driver and she was proud of it. The Major asked to have a total white tram dedicated to this great daughter of Milan.

https://www.milanotoday.it/video/carla-fracci-tram.html

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Margaret said:

I also saw her dance in a Festival of Ballet in  Coventry in 1961.  She danced Spectre de la Rose with John Gilpin and other pieces.  The evening also had  dancers such as Anton Dolin and Rosella Hightower.  A wonderful evening.

That Festival of Ballet in Coventry was my introduction to ballet and it was Fracci who caught my attention. So beautiful. 

• Like 3

Very sad news.

I saw her only once in Giselle when American Ballet Theatre visited Covent Gender in Aug 1970.   Though that show took place over half  century I can remember every detauk as though it were recorded on film, I had never seen such virtuosity,  Nor had I seen such drama.   I have never seen  better performance of Giselle though I have see many good and even a few great performances of the ballet since then.

I haven't written a feature on her but I have recorded a memory of one balmy August evening in my re-launched blog.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A wonderful celebration on what would have been the extraordinary Carla Fracci's 80th birthday.  It includes remembrances from the following: -

Merrill Ashley – Aurora Benelli – Rebecca Bianchi – Sabrina Brazzo – Rossella Brescia – Deborah Bull – Paola Cantalupo – Carolyn Carlson – Ileana Citaristi – Laura Comi – Petra Conti – Liliana Cosi – Anna Crespi Morbio – Lorella Cuccarini – Lisa-Maree Cullum – Oriella Dorella – Maria Eichwald – Alessandra Ferri – Lorena Feijóo – Lorna Feijóo – Loredana Furno – Mara Galeazzi – Gilda Gilati – Letizia Giuliani – Annamaria Grossi – Cynthia Harvey – Marcia Haydée – Jane Hermann – Millicent Hodson – Rosalia Kovacs – Oksana Kucheruk – Giulia Lazzarini – Anita Magyari – Nicoletta Manni – Simona Noja – Luciana Novaro – Agnes Oaks – Anna Maria Prina – Genesia Rosato – Pompea Santoro – Lina Sastri – Iride Sauri – Luciana Savignano – Isabel Seabra – Antoinette Sibley – Luisa Spinatelli – Franca Squarciapino – Gaia Straccamore – Elisabetta Terabust – Anbeta Toromani – Franca Valeri

On 20/08/2021 at 21:31, Bruce Wall said:

A wonderful celebration on what would have been the extraordinary Carla Fracci's 80th birthday.  It includes remembrances from the following: -

Bruce, maybe I misunderstand your post, anyway Carla Fracci's 80th birthday happily occurred back in 2016 (the messages are from that year). She would have been 85 this year.

30 minutes ago, annamicro said:

Bruce, maybe I misunderstand your post, anyway Carla Fracci's 80th birthday happily occurred back in 2016 (the messages are from that year). She would have been 85 this year.

Sorry, Annamicro.  I didn't realise it was a historic document.  It didn't seem to be highlighted.  Still the sentiments - at least in part I think - remain current, especially for those who may not have witnessed them previously.  

• Like 1