Royal Ballet Spring 2021 Draft Works

I am quite surprised that no-one has commented on this yet....so here goes.

I haven't had time to sit and watch it too intently, but I will be doing so over the next few days....so just a couple of brief comments for now.

From what I have seen, it is the usual interesting and eclectic mix of pieces.   Not surprisingly, most of them have been influenced by, or created from, the feelings of loneliness and frustration experienced by the dancers over the past year.    I love seeing how dancers from all levels of the Company mix together.  

It was lovely to see Edward Watson dancing, and so beautifully.  He will be missed.   From the other end of the career arc, I so hope that they give Marco Masciari a permanent contract if they haven't already.  

I am so pleased that the broadcast ended with Kristen McNally's delightful, and upbeat, ballet, set to French 60s songs.  It had such a cool, summery feel to it, and made me want to get up and dance too.

My one big moan:  why on Earth weren't we given the names of the dancers in each piece?  I knew many of them, but I don't know the younger ones yet as I haven't had a chance to see them this past year...it would have been very helpful to let us know who they are.  I would also be interested to know who the costumes and music were by.  Is there any way of finding this out?  Or have I missed something? 

The programme lasts one hour and 40 minutes and is well worth the £10.  

• Like 5

The details appeared on the page hosting the stream

Programme

Joshua Junker ‘The Morning Routine’. Music: Original composition by Bas Ibellini. Dancers: Téo Dubreuil, Isabella Gasparini, Joshua Junker, Isabel Lubach, Kristen McNally, Francisco Serrano.

Valentino Zucchetti ‘Outwardly Finds’. Music: ‘Moments Musicaux no 4.’– Sergei Rachmaninoff. Piano: Robert Clark. Dancers: Lukas Bjørneboe Brændsrød, Mariko Sasaki.

Ashley Dean ’Nyakaza’. Music: ‘Saint Saens – Groove Mix’– Mooryc. Dancers: Mica Bradbury, Hannah Grennell.

Joshua Junker ’324a’. Music: ‘Concerto in D Minor, BWV 974’. Arranged by Bach from: Oboe Concerto in D minor by Alessandro Marcello (1685–1750): 2. Adagio’– Johann Sebastian Bach. Piano: Michael Pansters. Dancer: Giacomo Rovero.

Stanisław Węgrzyn ’Memento’. Music: ‘Personal Effects– Annie’s Death (Live in Kraków /2008)’ and ‘They Imagine The City Growing Out Into The Ocean’ Jóhann Jóhannsson. Dancers: Marco Masciari, Sumina Sasaki, Edward Watson.

Amelia Townsend ‘Morphean’. Music: Original composition by Cameron Buckmaster. Dancers: Leticia Dias, Charlotte Tonkinson, Amelia Townsend, Marianna Tsembenhoi.

Joshua Junker ‘Two Seasons’. Music: ‘Vivaldi, The Four Seasons Spring 2’– Recomposed by Max Richter. Dancers: Ashley Dean, Joshua Junker.

Matthew Ball ’Waveform’. Music: ‘Poco Adagio (2nd movement) from Piano Trio no. 4.’ – Antonín Dvořák. Piano: Kate Shipway, Cello: Tim Hugh, Violin: Sergey Levitin. Dancers: Luca Acri, Matthew Ball, Mayara Magri.

Marcelino Sambé ‘Othello’s Limbo’. Music: ‘Doublespeak’, ‘Drones & Piano: Part II’, ‘Drones & Violin: Part III’ – Nico Muhly. Dancers: Denilson Almeida, Madison Bailey, Calvin Richardson, Marcelino Sambé.

Valentino Zucchetti ’Inner’. Music: ‘Fantasia in D minor’– Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Piano: Robert Clark. Dancer: Yasmine Naghdi.

Benjamin Ella ‘...And At The Hour Of Death’. Music: ‘Prelude, BWV 855a’, ‘... and  at the hour of death’ – Víkingur Ólafsson. Dancers:  Liam Boswell, Harry Churches, Leo Dixon, David Donnelly, Brayden Gallucci, Joonhyuk Jun.

Kristen McNally. Music: ‘Le Temps L’amour’– Francoise Hardy, ‘Moi Je Joue’– Brigitte Bardot, 'Zou Bisou Bisou' – Gillian Hills, ‘Meditation’ – Walter Wanderley. Dancers: Christina Arestis, Téo Dubreuil, Bennet Gartside, James Large, Phillip Mosley, Nadia Mullova-Barley, Taisuke Nakao, Thomas Whitehead.

Matthew Ball choreography
Ashley Dean choreography
Benjamin Ella choreography
Joshua Junker choreography
Kristin McNally choreography
Marcelino Sambé choreography
Amelia Townsend choreography
Natasha Chivers lighting designer
Edited by Rob S
  • Like 3

What an interesting evening! As Sim said, the overall tone,was rather sombre - understandably so. But I enjoyed Marcel Sambe's take on Othello. He seems to have some good ideas at how to translate it into dance. Matthew Ball's piece was clever. Liked his choice of music. Zucchetti seems to have a real affinity for music and uses it so well. I couldn't believe I was watching Ed Watson for the first time in goodness knows how long A real bonus. Agree with Sim about the lack of information about dancers - where did Rob S find it or is he a genius at recognition?

• Like 3

Guest oncnp
2 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

What an interesting evening! As Sim said, the overall tone,was rather sombre - understandably so. But I enjoyed Marcel Sambe's take on Othello. He seems to have some good ideas at how to translate it into dance. Matthew Ball's piece was clever. Liked his choice of music. Zucchetti seems to have a real affinity for music and uses it so well. I couldn't believe I was watching Ed Watson for the first time in goodness knows how long A real bonus. Agree with Sim about the lack of information about dancers - where did Rob S find it or is he a genius at recognition?

Spring Draft Works (roh.org.uk)

5 minutes ago, Sim said:

Thanks Rob.  I just opened the link and clicked straight onto the video.  It didn’t occur to me to look at the page itself!  🤦🏻‍♀️

...... as one would and as I did too, although I did search in vain later. 

There was a moment before each draft work started when names could have been put up and, maybe, something at the end as well.

I also found the volume too low on many of the choreographers, despite my laptop being turned to 100%.

Turning to the dance. I enjoyed the mix of styles and appreciated hearing about the choreographic intentions. But, for me, the greatest pleasure of this event derived, as usual, from the opportunity to see many of the younger dancers in action......

Which, of course, takes me back to my starting point.   (But thanks, Rob.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

Valentino Zucchetti ‘Outwardly Finds’. Music: ‘Moments Musicaux no 4.’– Sergei Rachmaninoff. Piano: Robert Clark. Dancers: Lukas Bjørneboe Brændsrød, Mariko Sasaki.

Valentino Zucchetti ’Inner’. Music: ‘Fantasia in D minor’– Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Piano: Robert Clark. Dancer: Yasmine Naghdi.

In case anyone was as confused as I was when it seemed that Rachmaninov had written such Mozartian music, it turns out that whoever posted these details got the music for Valentino Zucchetti's pieces the wrong way round.  Mozart wrote the music for 'Outwardly Finds'  and Yasmine Naghdi's solo was to the Rachmaninov.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 3

May I ask if the pieces overall were more classical or contemporary in style? I didn't want to pay to watch the tream live only to find that they were all of the contemporary "writhing around" sort, which isn't to my taste.

5 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

May I ask if the pieces overall were more classical or contemporary in style? I didn't want to pay to watch the tream live only to find that they were all of the contemporary "writhing around" sort, which isn't to my taste.

Very contemporary....even the bingo call of 'Boris's den, number ten'.....I've only ever heard Maggie's den

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Welp can't watch it then since vimeo is blocked in my country unless I use VPN which is very slow. Really want to see this especially since they choose one of their songs from Vivaldi. I'm not really a fan of contemporary dances but still very curious

Edited by Raven

14 hours ago, Rob S said:

Very contemporary....even the bingo call of 'Boris's den, number ten'.....I've only ever heard Maggie's den

I'm afraid I don't understand this, having no knowledge of or interest in bingo.

35 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm afraid I don't understand this, having no knowledge of or interest in bingo.

bingo

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 1

For us the outstanding pieces were

1. Kristen McNally's, who had us laughing out loud, and really delighted to see some "senior" faces being so sleeeezy;

2.Marcelino Sambé's, which brought the Othello story horribly vividly to life with some great acting as well as the intricate choreography;

3.Matthew Ball's, in which there were so very many beautiful choreographic ideas that it could have been twice as long and not run out of steam. It is this latter particularly which we would love to see grow into a fully fledged third of a tri-partite evening.

I must say that, not having many brain cells left after the last year we were royally confused about titles, music, dancers ... as others have said it could have been much clearer on screen during the show itself.

• Like 8

I am told the Summer Draft Works will not be streamed.  In person only.  Resource constraints.

Personally I think this is a mistake, but perhaps the streamed income doesn’t cover the costs of filming, streaming and inconvenience.

3 hours ago, FionaE said:

I am told the Summer Draft Works will not be streamed.  In person only.  Resource constraints.

Personally I think this is a mistake, but perhaps the streamed income doesn’t cover the costs of filming, streaming and inconvenience.

Plus it's in the Linbury, which isn't set up so well for streaming as the main stage.

On 17/05/2021 at 17:25, bangorballetboy said:

Plus it's in the Linbury, which isn't set up so well for streaming as the main stage.

Really?  I’m surprised to hear that.  A theatre redeveloped and launched in late 2018 without good filming possibilities inbuilt?  

but you may well be right ... it’s not clear here:

https://www.charcoalblue.com/projects/the-linbury-theatre-royal-opera-house

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/05/2021 at 21:18, Bluebird said:

In case anyone was as confused as I was when it seemed that Rachmaninov had written such Mozartian music, it turns out that whoever posted these details got the music for Valentino Zucchetti's pieces the wrong way round.  Mozart wrote the music for 'Outwardly Finds'  and Yasmine Naghdi's solo was to the Rachmaninov.

It's still the wrong way round :( 

Having just caught up with this again, I've been revisiting some of my favourites before they vanish.  I agree that standouts for me were the Sambé and Ball pieces, and Zucchetti's piece for Naghdi, although I enjoyed plenty of the others, too.  Can I ask whether you really need to have seen the scene from Pulp Fiction to really appreciate the last piece?

What would have been useful, in retrospect, was to have had an indication of the timestamp at which the various pieces started.  As Vimeo doesn't give you a thumbnail of the screenshot as you drag the timing arrow along, unlike YouTube, it made it difficult to navigate.