Rejection / Advice ?

Shauna

I am 19 years old and have always wanted to go into professional training however financial reasons meant that I was unable to follow that path. If I am to pursue a career in ballet, I will have to pay for my own training. After doing my A levels, I was hoping to start a BA honours degree in ballet&contemporary as I was able to get a student loan and support myself to do this. Unfortunately just before my auditions were coming up, I fell ill with glandular fever and an enlarged spleen. I was devastated that I had to wait a year to reapply. Lockdown has made me realise even more just how much I am dedicated towards a dance performance path. I reapplied for places although was minimal with my choices due to the high cost of audition fees (on paper I do not apply for a bursary as it goes by household income, although I am not getting help from my parents). I was rejected after my first stage audition for central school of ballet and was recently rejected from my second stage audition at Rambert. I am absolutely devastated and feel as if my future is ruined and there is nothing left for me. I am worried as I am 19 that I am getting too old to be accepted for full time training. Due to lack of money and opportunities/experience I feel as if no place will give me a chance as they select those who have already had good training and opportunities. I am extremely passionate, dedicated and hard-working and there is nothing I love more than ballet; I have so much more potential to give but just somewhere to give me an opportunity. I really am hoping to start somewhere in September whether it’s a 1 year diploma/foundation course or a 3 year BA degree (as long as it can be funded by a student loan). I have emailed some places such as Trinity Laban although I have already missed the deadlines and am worried they won’t accept late auditions. I have also come across the European school of dance in London which offers both 1 year and 3 year courses but have never heard of this place before. I would appreciate it so so much if anybody had any advice for me. 
thank you . 

Edited by Jan McNulty
Edited to remove some detail.

Hi Shauna, have you looked into the ballet BA at the Brighton Academy. I believe it’s relatively new (so there is not a huge amount about it on line) however there is an online Q&A this Sunday and applications are still open for this September.

best of luck xx

• Like 2

Hi Shauna and welcome to the forum; I’m so sorry you’ve been through a rough time.  

When you talk about wanting “a career in ballet”, are you thinking of a paid job as a professional ballet dancer?  Or in a more Contemporary company - or were you thinking of teaching?  Your eventual aim will help us try to guide you appropriately. 

Hi Shauna, loads of people will be on with more knowledge about courses and colleges, and my knowledge of that area is more sketchy as DD is much younger and we aren’t at that stage yet, but I can help from an applications p.o.v as a sixth form teacher :)

A lot of courses funded by a student loan also need you to apply via UCAS or UCAS Conservatoire. Don’t be put off by the ‘deadline’ having passed. They accept applications until the end of June and even after that you can still apply, but just go straight into ‘clearing’. It’s good to try to get applications in as soon as you can, as places are being offered already, but you haven’t missed a final cut-off. It will be down to the individual institutions.

While you are looking at courses, it could be good to put together a personal statement and start filling in the other details on the UCAS form, so that you are ready to apply as soon as you know where. The student loan applications are already open too, so you might be able to get a head start on some of the paperwork for that.

It is worth checking if you meet any of the criteria to be an emancipated student, which means you are considered to be financially independent.  This might open additional funding to you. The criteria are on the UCAS page. Some universities also offer additional support to students that don’t have financial backing from home, so when you hold an offer you should contact the finance department to see if they can help you.

If you have Level 3 qualifications from school (A Levels or equivalent) there are universities that offer degrees in ballet and contemporary performance, so it is worth looking at the UCAS website to see if there is anything that appeals to you. I tend to recommend a mixture of universities and vocational colleges on an application, as widening the net increases your chances of getting a place. You can apply to UCAS and UCAS Conservatoire alongside each other, so don’t have to choose one or the other.

Good luck! 

• Like 2

Are you absolutely set that it has to be just ballet?  Many dancers, even those who have been in vocational training from a young age reach 16-18 years an realise that there are more opportunities to train/work as a dancer, regardless of genre.  

• Like 1

Have you looked into KS Dance in Warrington? It is  a 3 year Trinity Diploma course with possibility of DaDA funding. I have heard very positive things about this school and they still have another audition date (April 25) for entry this September.

• Like 1

Hi Shauna, definitely try The Brighton Academy, my dd is currently in 3rd year of a BA ballet, the teachers and principals are all great, friendly and approachable and there are definitely students on the course who are 19/20. As others have said it’s degree funded by student finance. I’m sure if you call them or email they will give you more information. 

Edited by Loulou

Hi Shauna, I dont have any career or dance advice sorry. What I do have is a big virtual hug 😀 

I can offer some general advice that I try to remember myself, both as a woman and a mum - When the going gets tough, hang on in there.  Life really isn't always fair so just hang on in there.  I see from your message that you have a passion and that makes me think you have a big heart.  That is very precious so use it well. 

Good luck!

🥰

• Like 4

Hi Shauna - what a string of bad luck you have had, but you are doing well to still be fighting for your dream.

Have you considered Northern Ballet School in Manchester?  When my DD trained there (albeit more than 10 years ago now) there were students in her year ranging from the age of 16 to 26.  Age certainly wasn't a barrier to admission.

Whilst you will get a solid classical ballet training at NBS, you will also get excellent training in other genres of dance which will make you a more employable and versatile dancer in the long run. 

Although not everyone gets a funded place, there is funding available through the DADA scheme, which offers support for fees and living expenses - the amount you get depends on your household income.  Living expenses in Manchester are cheaper than in London, and we knew of several students who were effectively supporting themselves through part time jobs.

Looking on their website it seems applications are still open - however I would urge you to apply sooner rather than later, because they will be starting to allocate their DADA awards around now, so you don't want to miss the boat on funding.

Good luck.

• Like 2