Ballet Reading

I have been reading some biographical type books about ballet just lately and I thought it may be nice to have a thread where we share thoughts on the various books out there?  Some books are also hard to come by so this be a place where we can exchange info about where to find books or arrange a loan or swap etc...

The first book I read was "Balanchine and The Lost Muse, Revolution and the Making of a Choreographer" by Elizabeth Kendall which I got cheap 2nd hand on Ebay (my go to place for books!)  

This was an interesting read starting from George Balanchine's childhood and education in St Petersburg and going up to his early 20s.  It also looks at Lidochka Ivanova who was his peer but she sadly died in somewhat mysterious circumstances.  This book is best read before the Gottlieb book about Balanchine as it predates his life in that second book which I have got here to read.    As a consequence of reading this book I have ordered a book about Danilova but it has yet to turn up (ordered in November!) I hope it does come.  I am also on the hunt for a cheap copy of "I, Maya Plisetskaya".

The second book I read was "Agony and Ecstasy: My Life in Dance" by Daria Klimentova.  It was a nice book to read - an easy read - and contains a fascinating chronology of all the performances Daria did and with whom.  It was interesting to read what it was like working under different Directors and with different dance partners and I was quite surprised at some of what I read.

Then I read Margot Fonteyn's Autobiography - this was also an interesting read although I wished it had more about Nureyev in it. I found the chapters about her married life a bit tedious as I just wanted to know about the ballet side of her life!  

I would love to hear about other books you may have read about dancers or ballet in general.  

• Like 3

I enjoy reading dance biographies and autobiographies, and over the years have read quite a few. Among my favourites are Dancing on My Grave, the first of Gelsey Kirkland’s two autobiographies, Nijinsky, a biography written by his wife,Romola Nijinsky, Nureyev biographies by both Peter Watson and Diane Soloway. Different Drummer, a comprehensive biography of Kenneth Macmillan, Lynn, Lynn Seymour’s autobiography, two meaty biographies of Ashton & Fonteyn: Secret Muses, the life of Frederick Ashton  by Julie Kavanagh and Margot Fonteyn by Meredith Daneman, Dancing Away, Deborah Bull’s account of the period when the Royal Opera House was closed for redevelopment Wrights and Wrongs, Sir Peter Wright’s refreshingly frank autobiography, Diaghilev by Richard Buckle and Hope in a Ballet Shoe, Michaela DePrince’s uplifting story, co-written with her Mum.

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

There's an ongoing suggestions thread in Doing Dance that may have some interesting reading tips:

Not only that, but if you click on the "books" tag I've added you'll find there are up to 14 related threads :)

• Like 3

On 03/01/2021 at 22:52, Odyssey said:

I enjoy reading dance biographies and autobiographies, and over the years have read quite a few. Among my favourites are Dancing on My Grave, the first of Gelsey Kirkland’s two autobiographies, Nijinsky, a biography written by his wife,Romola Nijinsky, Nureyev biographies by both Peter Watson and Diane Soloway. Different Drummer, a comprehensive biography of Kenneth Macmillan, Lynn, Lynn Seymour’s autobiography, two meaty biographies of Ashton & Fonteyn: Secret Muses, the life of Frederick Ashton  by Julie Kavanagh and Margot Fonteyn by Meredith Daneman, Dancing Away, Deborah Bull’s account of the period when the Royal Opera House was closed for redevelopment Wrights and Wrongs, Sir Peter Wright’s refreshingly frank autobiography, Diaghilev by Richard Buckle and Hope in a Ballet Shoe, Michaela DePrince’s uplifting story, co-written with her Mum.

Thank you for all these suggestions! 

• 7 months later...

On the slim chance that perusal of our daily Links thread is not your first activity each morning, I should mention that the past week has had an unusual number of ballet-related book reviews, including several of The Turnout, plus some background from the author.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait to get my hands - or should that be eyes - on a copy of James Whiteside's upcoming Center, Center .... Sounds potent ...  Plus he is always so enticingly witty .... and honest ... be it in his dance ... and everywhere else it seems ... 

Love the line 'I can make the rules because I’ve already broken them. 

Just one of those things I wish I'd said myself :)

Just ordered my copy .... Now I'M smiling .... 

Edited by Bruce Wall

• 1 year later...

I don't remember if I recommended it in another thread but here again: "A Body of work" by David Hallberg.  Very personal insights about his way to the top, enduring hostilities in POB, living a satisfying life with work at the Bolshoi as first American, work at ABT, struggling with injuries, getting back onstage when nobody believed anymore that he could. I LOVE this book.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Fjord Review has just published a feature about three upcoming ballet-based novels.  Possible Christmas ideas...

https://fjordreview.com/new-narrative-ballet-fiction/

As I don't subscribe to Fjord Review I can only read the first paragraph. Jan is there a chance you could post the names of the novels? Their authors?

17 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

As I don't subscribe to Fjord Review I can only read the first paragraph. Jan is there a chance you could post the names of the novels? Their authors?

Meg Howrey - They're going to love you (due to be published in November)

Nicole Cuffy - Dances (due to be published in May 2023)

Martha Anne Toll - Three Muses (due to be published in 2 weeks)

You don't have to subscribe to Fjord Review - if they ask you to log in you only have to put your name and email in to get to the full article.  The occasional feature has been behind a paywall but there is still plenty of reading.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/09/2022 at 17:29, Sabine0308 said:

I don't remember if I recommended it in another thread but here again: "A Body of work" by David Hallberg.  Very personal insights about his way to the top, enduring hostilities in POB, living a satisfying life with work at the Bolshoi as first American, work at ABT, struggling with injuries, getting back onstage when nobody believed anymore that he could. I LOVE this book.

Yes I love it too it’s a must read and very eloquently written.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 07/09/2022 at 19:00, Jan McNulty said:

Meg Howrey - They're going to love you (due to be published in November)

The Times just reviewed this, and, with some reservations, liked it:-

a glossy, fast-paced, moreish family drama set in the rarefied world of New York ballet. Think family quarrels, sex and betrayal, against the backdrop of the Aids crisis. 

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Ivy Lin said:

So far I’ve only read about 30 pages but was surprised to notice a bad error, when Homans claims that the Royal Ballet had previously been called Sadler’s Wells Theatre Ballet - which obviously was the touring company, now BRB.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sophoife said:

I'm not surprised @SheilaC. I bought and read Apollo's Angels when it came out and it was clear that Homans didn't know or care much about ballet outside NYCB and Balanchine's work. Ballet died when he did, basically. 

Agreed, but I still found it a very interesting read and I'm looking forward to reading the Balanchine biography.

• 3 weeks later...

I love re-reading “Lynn”. Although when it came out a fellow amphi regular said it was : I was the best dramatic dancer in the world but no one knew.

except, as she said, we did! Whatever... it’s fascinating and great insight into her life and art. She’s so honest and gosh has she lived!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/12/2022 at 12:13, Suffolkgal said:

I love re-reading “Lynn”. Although when it came out a fellow amphi regular said it was : I was the best dramatic dancer in the world but no one knew.

except, as she said, we did! Whatever... it’s fascinating and great insight into her life and art. She’s so honest and gosh has she lived!

Have you seen the YouTube clip of her rehearsing Mayerling with KM? I would post the link but not sure if it would be allowed.

• 5 weeks later...

In pondering whether to buy Diaghilev’s Empire: How the Ballet Russes Enthralled the World by Rupert Christiansen, I came across this conversation between Mr Christiansen and Lynn Garafola author of La Nijinska . It’s a lovely  listen and I now find myself ordering two books instead of one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1