BRB Nutcracker at RAH cancelled & Brum Rep looking at options (now online)

From Twitter:

'It is with great disappointment that we have had to cancel Birmingham Royal Ballet’s production of The Nutcracker at the Royal Albert Hall this year. 

The government restrictions from 2 December will limit public attendance at indoor events to 1,000 people which makes it financially impossible to stage a production of this scale. We had been determined to share The Nutcracker this year and had been investigating various options including a streamed performance, but the costs were just too great to make this a viable option.

The Royal Albert Hall have been in contact with bookers this afternoon with further information about their tickets.'

Oh dear.  I feel so sorry for the dancers, who were really looking forward to this.  So were many of us.  I am getting so dang sick of all this now.  A year lost from the careers of so many young artists; when those careers are short, a year is a very long time.  

• Like 14

8 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I wonder why they couldn't just use the lower part(s) of the RAH auditorium with 1000 people and make it worthwhile?

As I read it (perhaps incorrectly) the production isn't financially viable with (only) 1,000 people per performance. 

22 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I wonder why they couldn't just use the lower part(s) of the RAH auditorium with 1000 people and make it worthwhile?

The cost of hiring the RAH is astronomical. 
Any organisation using it needs a near capacity audience to break even.

54 minutes ago, oncnp said:

As I read it (perhaps incorrectly) the production isn't financially viable with (only) 1,000 people per performance. 

That’s right.  Even if they put 1,000 people downstairs, it wouldn’t have covered the cost of putting on the performances.   So very sad.  😢

52 minutes ago, capybara said:

The cost of hiring the RAH is astronomical. 
Any organisation using it needs a near capacity audience to break even.

Normally I'm sure that would be so, but surely the RAH can't expect to get "normal" hire fees at present....as it is, having cancelled everything to the end of Feb, they won't be getting any hire fee income at all.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Normally I'm sure that would be so, but surely the RAH can't expect to get "normal" hire fees at present....as it is, having cancelled everything to the end of Feb, they won't be getting any hire fee income at all.

They are trying to avoid further losses. From the RAH website re: Nutcracker

This limit makes it financially impossible to stage a production of this scale, especially at a time when both the Royal Albert Hall and Birmingham Royal Ballet have suffered losses of tens of millions of pound

Sky news reporting Tier 3 for Birmingham so would appear they've lost the whole run. Terrible esp considering it has also been reported that not one case can be traced back to attending a performance. 

Edited by oncnp

13 hours ago, Richard LH said:

the RAH need those fees to cover their own costs.  Theatres, companies and freelancers all haemorrhaging money at this time.   I guess they can limit their losses if they are closed ... through furlough.  

I applaud Carlos Acosta and BRB for trying 👏

I was about to book too!  In negotiation with family about dates ... and then wham.  Excitement over.

Edited by FionaE
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

Sky news reporting Tier 3 for Birmingham so would appear they've lost the whole run. Terrible esp considering it has also been reported that not one case can be traced back to attending a performance. 

Devastating news for all concerned.  If anyone can work out some of the logic behind the the tier system and the virus going away for Christmas please let me know.

• Like 4

• Jan McNulty changed the title to BRB Nutcracker at RAH cancelled & Brum Rep looking at options

Surely they would be able to do a streaming relay .... or perhaps a series of relays and do as The Old Vic has done (reportedly successfully) with a number of their productions under a similar remit.  Hopefully that would generate a similar amount of income for the Company.  Perhaps even more which would be a grand - and well deserved - bonus. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

S or perhaps a series of relays and do as The Old Vic has done (reportedly successfully) 

Do you know if the Old Vic (or anyone else) has actually made money on their streamings? 

Edited by oncnp

19 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Do you know if the Old Vic (or anyone else) has actually made money on their streamings? 

I don't know - which is why I said 'reportedly'.  On their website they suggest they have been successful ... but it's hard to know in reality how that is defined.  Certainly they have gone on to do a variety of productions in the streaming format since the pandemic began - and are re-releasing a number of those same under their 'Playback' series.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

13 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

I don't know - which is why I said 'reportedly'.  On their website they suggest they have been successful ... but it's hard to know in reality how that is defined.  Certainly they have gone on to do a variety of productions in the streaming format since the pandemic began - and are re-releasing a number of those same under their 'Playback' series.  

Thanks! I haven't heard of any organization saying they are making money on streaming. Streaming is done for more than just financial reasons of course but was thinking that if the BRB is keen to avoid losses streaming might not be the answer for them. Hopefully the situation improves when the tiers are reviewed. 

https://www.brb.org.uk/whats-on/event/the-nutcracker-at-the-rep-online

So, it’s online .... a separate livestream 18/12 and afterwards an on-demand 19-24 but you have to buy the ticket by 21/12 latest.  Too complicated in my view ... people will forget and miss it, and that’s assuming they actually read the details in the first place.

I've lots more questions, and wondering what the thinking is.  Hoping some on here have insights to share:

1).  Why is there a separate charge for the livestream vs the on-demand?  Asides from wanting to maximise revenue?   Maybe separate providers?  It will make me choose one or the other ....

2) why is the on demand only available for 3 days from activation?

11 minutes ago, FionaE said:

So, it’s online .... a separate livestream 18/12 and afterwards an on-demand 19-24 but you have to buy the ticket by 21/12 latest.  Too complicated in my view ... people will forget and miss it, and that’s assuming they actually read the details in the first place.

Some people do read the details.  Some people have diaries.  I also note that those who had booked tickets to see the show live have received emails setting out their options, one of which is to buy the live-stream and have the remainder of their ticket price refunded.

1).  Why is there a separate charge for the livestream vs the on-demand?  Asides from wanting to maximise revenue?   Maybe separate providers?  It will make me choose one or the other ....

If it is to maximise revenue, what's wrong with that?  There will be different systems in use, I'm sure, but I see no problem in asking people to make a choice.  After all, the cinema and a DVD cost about the same (well, they do in bits of London anyway) - one allows you to see something once, the other on demand.  Not a lot of difference here.

2) why is the on demand only available for 3 days from activation?

Because it is.  When you "rent" a film from Amazon, why do you only have access for 7 days?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, FionaE said:

Which is why we have the Community Calendar - so that people like me with a memory like a sieve/too much else to think about have a chance of actually remembering something :)

Plus I can't see that it says anywhere that you can't buy after the 21st - only that you won't get the full 3 days' worth if you do.  3 days is exactly what ENB have been doing since they started making content available.  Presumably they think it ought to be enough to watch a 80-minute film in.

• Like 1

• alison changed the title to BRB Nutcracker at RAH cancelled & Brum Rep looking at options (now online)