Prix de Lausanne 2021

Pas de Quatre

Selected Candidate information

Prix de Lausanne have now published the details of the candidates selected for 2021.  There are two  lists, one list giving candidates names, their nationality, school they attend and in which country and another one by country, showing how many applied and how many were accepted.  As far as I could see connected to UK there is one British girl studying at a school in Portugal and one Japanese girl studying at Elmhurst.

• Like 2

Just quickly glanced at the list and I don't think there are any candidates from Princess Grace this year.  Such a shame as their students are always amazingly watchable, with stunning artistry. I'm pretty sure they've had prize winners for at least the last 3 years.  

I always look forward to the PdL, they usually post videos of the classes on YouTube and are always a brilliant watch.

Also an interesting read is where prize (and even non-prize winners) from last year ended up going: 

https://www.prixdelausanne.org/results-networking-forum-2020/?fbclid=IwAR0MspTtMMWsFmw2yBQo2EHZ6_b0oYOk5DYiWBqukc7CwYmM7aaatdiE3x8

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
20 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Oh I didn’t realise was happening at all! 
How are they doing it then presumably not getting any tuition as such 🤔 

I might be wrong but I believe that pre-recorded masterclasses/coaching was sent to the candidates, prior to their video submission for both classwork and the variation/contemporary piece? Not entirely sure though. 

Yes, all the class work and variations are pre-recorded and then they show it live with the adjudicators.

The YAGP Asia Pacific Virtual Competition was pre-recorded solos that they made into 1 video and premiered on Facebook.

• Like 1

The classwork being assessed during this week is the original video each candidate sent for selection to the competition.  The videos are also being streamed live. 
The variations have also been pre-recorded and as in previous years, both the classwork and variations will be taken into account when selecing the 20 finalists. 
The videos of the variations will then be watched again for the final. 

Full details here: Competition procedures (prixdelausanne.org)

It will be very different without the live performance element as obviously all the candidates will be able to do as many takes of the video as they need to show their best performance and with everyone at such a high standard maybe it will be difficult to spot that extra special something that only a live performance can bring. We can look forward to some high quality work though!

• Like 1

Talking of Prix de Lausanne a former winner  a couple of years ago Shale Wagman who danced with ENB for a year then was hit by injury and pandemic has just taken a job with Bayerische's Staatsoper Munich which is good news as he is a lovely dancer and stood out that year at the Prix. 

Agree it will be strange no live performances so can’t be the exciting event and experience for contestants it usually is but probably worth it to get that final bit of training at a top rate school or join a Company ready for later this year. 

• Like 3

I’m really enjoying the format this year. It’s fascinating to see how varied the training styles and technique are from different countries. Much easier to see this from individual videos.
It is a shame they miss out on the coaching and group class sections but impressive they have managed to host the event so smoothly under the circumstances. 
Look forward to seeing them all in their solos. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LinMM said:

Talking of Prix de Lausanne a former winner  a couple of years ago Shale Wagman who danced with ENB for a year then was hit by injury and pandemic has just taken a job with Bayerische's Staatsoper Munich which is good news as he is a lovely dancer and stood out that year at the Prix. 

Agree it will be strange no live performances so can’t be the exciting event and experience for contestants it usually is but probably worth it to get that final bit of training at a top rate school or join a Company ready for later this year. 

I am so delighted to hear Shale is back after such a difficult time! A truly exceptional dancer. Was so sad when he left the U.K.! Congrats to him on his new position 

• Like 2

Well I am taking particular interest this year as I know three of the dancers very well and two more by reputation. The three dancers I have known for 7 plus years and to see them flourish as they have was predicted if you could have seen them dance at just 10 years old. There was never any doubt of their talent, hard work, patience and humility. Such a pleasure to watch them  develop as artists every step of the way. It will be exciting to see what opportunities come their way in the future. 

• Like 2

Maybe not at this point but perhaps at the end would you be prepared to name the dancers? 
it is sometimes nice to have someone to look out for! 
There are often students from a ballet school in Sydney which a friends daughter attended so I always look out for those if in the Prix. 
Or if a teacher you know has been teaching one of the attendees. Just nice to see how they get on. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LinMM said:

Maybe not at this point but perhaps at the end would you be prepared to name the dancers? 
it is sometimes nice to have someone to look out for! 
There are often students from a ballet school in Sydney which a friends daughter attended so I always look out for those if in the Prix. 
Or if a teacher you know has been teaching one of the attendees. Just nice to see how they get on. 

Yes the names, schools and countries are up on on the Prix site.

2 of the 3 Australians come from Tanya Pearson Academy (TPA) Sydney Aust.

On Facebook and Instagram TPA put up the names, numbers and Swiss time slots for performances by Morganne (202) and Levi (134)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKvmq6hASGs/

Will say later. For now I am just enjoying the performances, but as I say , it has been an honour and a priviledge that my D's and I have been able to accompany, perform with and appreciate the artistic growth of these youngsters, albeit that DD was in a different school and met them many times over the years in different competitions, summer schools and events. 

Being part of an organisation that arranges competitions, I understand the requirements of impartiality, and prefer to be working behind the scenes and occupied with making it happen, because being a dancing mum, I turn into a very emotional 'everybody's mum' if I have to sit in the audience , teary-eyed and sniffing in the dark auditorium. 

The standard  of each year of Prix is excellent and though this year is arranged differently, hats off to the organisors, teachers and candidates for all the preparation and execution. 

• Like 3

The finalists are:

> KOBAYASHI Airi (Japan)
> COHEN Charlotte (Australia)
> MACIANO Andrey Jesus (Brazil)
> PARK Robin (South Korea)
> FALCÃO Luiza (Brazil)
> YAMAMOTO Koharu (Japan)
> FAN Liya (China)
> KWON Jooyoung (South Korea)
> YUN Seojeong (South Korea)
> DILIGENTE Giulio (Italy
> CASALINHO António (Portugal)
> GOMES Francisco (Portugal)
> RAMO RUIZ Lorien (Spain)
> DE CARVALHO Kayke Nogueira (Brazil)
> ABDEL-NOUR Luca (Egypt)
> RAMOS PONCE Saïd (Spain)
> COUPAL Ashley (Canada)
> FUCHIYAMA Shunhei (Japan)
> GUTIÉRREZ RUBI Marti (Mexico)
> CRUZ Rui Cesar (Brazil)
  • Like 1

I often don’t pick the finalists correctly except where somebody is really outstanding like Shale Wagman or ....Yu Hang ( now at the Royal Ballet) 

There was an American one year was it Ian Mackay or similar name? He did very well after the Prix but not sure what he’s doing now ....think he’s back with an American Company

Last year I thought the Italian boy stood out who is now with the Royal Ballet... I think. 

Sorry not in the mood to check everything 🙄