It’s been almost three months since the full-ballet streamings began. Is anyone else beginning to experience Stream Fatigue? How many hours in each day do we have? Not that I’m not grateful. Just sayin’. 😏

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

It’s been almost three months since the full-ballet streamings began. Is anyone else beginning to experience Stream Fatigue? How many hours in each day do we have? Not that I’m not grateful. Just sayin’. 😏

45 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

Time for reflection ? I have been in lockdown since 6th March. Many things that otherwise I would not have the opportunity to see. Some really good modern and contemporary productions and an excellent full Raymonda from Mariinsky, all now favourites. I don't feel guilty either, because I also put  a base down and built a garden shed and learned how to bake bread and make soups and did some repairs.

Edited by Stevie
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeannette said:

After an initial panic stricken "I must watch everything" I'm finding that I am a bit streamed out but I am grateful to have seen offerings from San Francisco Ballet, Dutch National Ballet, ENB, Northern Ballet (natch), Stuttgart and now Pennsylvania Ballet.  

• Like 3

I've been up and down, but think I've fallen into a nice routine now where I feel happy to wait a day or so if I'm not in the right mood (availability of the stream permitting!) and then often watch quite a few things in a single day when I'm really feeling it / have plenty of spare time.

I'm quite lucky that my lockdown life is very flexible - I work full time, but can choose my own hours. And live alone. I have taken breaks in the middle of the day at times when I just couldn't wait to watch something!

One thing I've noticed is that I have very little time for dipping into my DVD collection. And specifically don't tend to watch much Royal Ballet, apart from the odd thing I don't have in my collection - obviously including the pieces in the live shows. It's always a lovely feeling to go back to them after the very many wonderful experiences from other companies. But I hope to make a bit more time to watch them over the rest of the summer 🙂

• Like 1

I decided not to feel guilty that I couldn't watch everything and strangely enough I found that at this time I am only watching short non story ballets, not sure why. It has been wonderful to see so many works that are new to me and from places I might never have gone. I hope that ballet companies take note and keep streaming their work, for proper money of course.

I am very appreciative of all the suggestions here. This forum and ballet has been a life line for me, and the general niceness of people with opinions expressed but no name calling etc, so THANK YOU  one and all.

Edited by Janite
  • Like 9

Jeannette's post made a nice starting point, so I thought I'd split these posts off from the Coronavirus streaming suggestions thread so we can all discuss how we've benefited (or not?) from all these streamed dance works over the past few months.  And anything else related which takes your fancy, really.

1 hour ago, Janite said:

I decided not to feel guilty that I couldn't watch everything and strangely enough I found that at this time I am only watching short non story ballets, not sure why.

Is it the shortness or the non-story-ness that you appreciate?  As I've indicated several times, I've at times found it a little stressful trying to fit in a full-length ballet before it disappears from view, so shorter works have often been a better bet for me.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, alison said:

Is it the shortness or the non-story-ness that you appreciate?  As I've indicated several times, I've at times found it a little stressful trying to fit in a full-length ballet before it disappears from view, so shorter works have often been a better bet for me.

I think it's both. I find it restful and somehow it feeds my spirit by looking at the moment and shapes that flow with the music. 

If I watch a full length at home I tend to break it down into sections. 

Edited by Janite

2 hours ago, Janite said:

...strangely enough I found that at this time I am only watching short non story ballets, not sure why. It has been wonderful to see so many works that are new to me and from places I might never have gone....

BINGO! That’s precisely what’s happened with me. I’ve decided to concentrate on new choreography in the classical mode (the Arizona desert ballets, SFco Unbounds, Penn, ENB) or not-so-new titles that I have not seen (the Cranko rarities!). With a couple of exceptions, I’ve avoided what was my bread-and-butter in the past: full-evening classics. If I read another suggestion of a Russian provincial company in Swan Lake or Bayadere, I’ll scream! (Ha - just kidding...I won’t yell but I’ll avoid it. Truly.)

4 hours ago, Jeannette said:

BINGO! That’s precisely what’s happened with me. I’ve decided to concentrate on new choreography in the classical mode (the Arizona desert ballets, SFco Unbounds, Penn, ENB) or not-so-new titles that I have not seen (the Cranko rarities!). With a couple of exceptions, I’ve avoided what was my bread-and-butter in the past: full-evening classics. If I read another suggestion of a Russian provincial company in Swan Lake or Bayadere, I’ll scream! (Ha - just kidding...I won’t yell but I’ll avoid it. Truly.)

Hmm if anything one thing the streaming has done is made me realize the greatness of some of the more regional companies. For example I had never seen much Perm Ballet but I look forward to their streams now -- they have a lovely, understated classical style. Not as distinct as the Mariinsky or Bolshoi but very beautiful. Also really enjoying Ballet Arizona, Pennsylvania Ballet, Dance Theater of Harlem, etc. 

• Like 4

There just aren’t enough hours in the day. No disrespect to Perm or the others but if I have two hours at my disposal and given a choice to see either a mixed bill of  new classical choreography or yet another Swan Lake, I go for the new. But...if I read that the Ural  Ballet of Ekaterinburg will stream the Sergei Vikharev  reconstruction of Petipa’s Fille Mal Gardee, I’ll turn it on in a NY minute because it would be new to these eyes. 

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 1

Well all I can say is ... how blessed have we ballet lovers been in lockdown?   It is has been a never-to-be-forgotten time of ballet treasures from all around the world.  I am very thankful for the diverse offerings classics, re-imagined classics, new works. And above all the experience of so many different companies and dancers.  

I have missed many I’d have liked to have seen.  And yes I’d gladly pay in future to watch some I’ve missed and I’d also pay to watch again some that really impressed me.   

Hugely thankful that there are still streams whilst ballet in Europe is taking small steps to returning to the stage.

• Like 10

Not only ballet, too - there's also been a lot of output in terms of other types of dance, plays, opera, music and so on (most of which I haven't been able to see because I've been trying to keep up with all the dance offerings :( )

• Like 3

Exhibits A & B: two magnificent one-act ballet “discoveries” in one weekend:

Exhibit A - PAB (Philadelphia) in Elo’s Trigger Touch Fade to Bach and Handel

Exhibit B - DTHarlem (NY) in Lopez-Ochoa’s Balamouk

to toe-tapping klezmer tunes, with gorgeous colorful costumes (as has the Elo, too)

Both works have the ladies dancing in pointe shoes, too. The clincher for me!

Two new gems discovered & added to my “collective memory cache” within the last 24 hours...ballets that I cannot wait to experience live in Philly & NY whenever we return to normal!

Edited by Jeannette

I haven't caught up with PAB's latest offering yet but I loved Balamouk.  I thought the way the fabric of the costumes swirled really added to the choreography (rather than detracting from it as sometimes happens).

I'm really just picking random ballets from all that is on offer, as Jeanette says often something I've not seen before or a company new to me.  I've been rather enamoured by PAB (especially now I understand what PAB means!).

• Like 1

I've enjoyed the shorter ballets more, probably because they've been easier to fit in with all the other things on offer. My main enjoyment has been the chance to see other companies, particularly Stuttgart, Hamburg, SFB, NYCB. I really hope that in the future we get more opportunities to see streamed performances, I wouldn't mind paying for this. 

On a rather different note, just before lock down started I embarked on playing my complete set of the Haydn symphonies -all 104 of them - and finish today! Another highly enjoyable experience!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

I haven't caught up with PAB's latest offering yet but I loved Balamouk.  I thought the way the fabric of the costumes swirled really added to the choreography (rather than detracting from it as sometimes happens).

I'm really just picking random ballets from all that is on offer, as Jeanette says often something I've not seen before or a company new to me.  I've been rather enamoured by PAB (especially now I understand what PAB means!).

Jan, I’m so happy that you’ve noted the importance of costumes - particularly fabrics - in the total ballets, in general. I’ve often mentioned these sorts of things in my reviews, particularly when a troupe reconstructs/revives an old ballet that I’d seen before. Choosing wrong (usually cheaper) fabrics when undertaking a revival can kill the spirit of the original ballet.

Case in point: Balanchine’s Gounod Symphony, originally intended to be danced in luxurious romantic tutus  with tulle swishing about. When Suzanne Farrell’s troupe revived the work 3-4 years ago at the Kennedy Center in shorter polyester dresses, it truly affected the style and intent of the piece. It was a nice revival but no longer the grand swishing homage to the Romantic Era that Mr B had intended. Imagine if the Sarasota Ballet had opted for polyester instead of swishing tulle in the ballroom scene of its revival of Ashton’s Apparitions last year! (Thank goodness, no.)

Sorry for going off topic...  Oh, how I love those Balamouk costumes!

Edited by Jeannette

29 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

Jan, I’m so happy that you’ve noted the importance of costumes - particularly fabrics - in the total ballets, in general.

The importance of costumes full stop. In most of the recent works made on the RB, the wonderful dancers have had to fight an uphill battle against the most unflattering costumes known to man, generally in varying shades of gunk and grey.

• Like 3

Think people might enjoy this conversation as it references the Balamouk costumes - which I agree were quite delightful. 

Since this stand is now where people seem to be reviewing/commenting on the DTH showings I will put the brief reference I wrote elsewhere here - 

Loved Balamouk.  What a vibrant way to start a day.   Everything fits into Ocha's final smile.  So, so pleased that Arthur Mitchell - every bit a pioneer like de Valois - was able to see this before he left us.  Yet one more testament to his arching achievement in birthing DTH.  

• Like 1

I have really enjoyed watching the various streamed ballets, short and long during lockdown, been incredible to watch companies who I will probably not get a chance to see live like Perm Ballet or New York City Ballet plus is deepened my appreciation of choreographers for example Balanchine, I enjoy his ballets like Jewels or A Midsummer Night's Dream but it was a real treat to watch their upload of Apollo, a ballet I've only seen in clips and photos, same with works which were less well known to me. Was really cool to watch Dance Theatre of Harlem's vintage recording of Creole Giselle, another ballet I've read lots about. I would never of thought I'd get to watch Astana Opera Ballet in MacMillan's Manon, I could go on but I will keep it brief

Ironically enough I've mostly been disappointed with the Royal Opera Houses output, but then that could be because when it comes to ballet I have them on blu-ray already, I wish they had shown their recent cinema broadcasts. 

I've also adjusted to not catching every stream, funnily enough if the US streams which fit most well as they are at silly o'clock our time, so I can watch them the next morning with a cup of coffee. 

• Like 2

I agree with Woodland Glade at being most disappointed with the ROH ballet offerings.  They have been rather paltry compared to the riches shown by NYCB, Dutch NB, Perm Ballet Theatre, Mariisnky.  Poor show ROH (although it does not surprise me for some reason).

Anyway I have just found this DonQ tonight on YouTube - Brooklyn Mack and Lali Kandelaki not sure which company but the writing looks Georgian.  Lali does a very unusual move in her fouettes at the end - see what you tin its at 1:34:10 onwards in the video,  she seems to hold her leg out at 90 degrees and then whip it in in a rather pronounced slowed down way she only does it couple of times but its new to me.

Then I found a delightful DonQ with lots of ballet school children dancing in it it looks really sweet!  Its from teh Russian Ballet School Oralndo.

• Like 1

Thank you, Don Q fan! Lali has always been The Fouettés Queen, ever since I first saw her at the Varna competition (2000)...the fouettes in Black Swan pdd literally sealed her gold medal. Glad to see her still going strong 20 years later. Turn, Lali, turn!

18 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

I agree with Woodland Glade at being most disappointed with the ROH ballet offerings.  They have been rather paltry compared to the riches shown by NYCB, Dutch NB, Perm Ballet Theatre, Mariisnky.  Poor show ROH (although it does not surprise me for some reason).

Anyway I have just found this DonQ tonight on YouTube - Brooklyn Mack and Lali Kandelaki not sure which company but the writing looks Georgian.  Lali does a very unusual move in her fouettes at the end - see what you tin its at 1:34:10 onwards in the video,  she seems to hold her leg out at 90 degrees and then whip it in in a rather pronounced slowed down way she only does it couple of times but its new to me.

Then I found a delightful DonQ with lots of ballet school children dancing in it it looks really sweet!  Its from teh Russian Ballet School Oralndo.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just seen that the Old Vic is streaming its production by the McOnie Company of 'Jekyll and Hyde' free from 5th August. I caught this back in 2016 and as I remember it was up-dated to the fifties and set largely in a flower shop with a lot of sex and violence, but some fine dancing, particularly by the guys in the titular roles, Daniel Collins and Tim Hodges as they switched too and fro and by Rachel Collins as Dahlia, the shop assistant caught up in their shenannigans. It was a fun production and a good evening out. I shall certainly want to catch it again.