Lockdown and General Streaming Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tokyo Ballet's Giselle (with Vladimir Malakhov as guest) streamed for a very short limited period, only until 22:00 Japan time (8 hours ahead of UK, so 15:00 UK time)

This is a part of a ballet festival called "Ueno no Mori Ballet Holiday" with many companies and dancers participating, and there are more videos and events to come. 

https://balletholiday.com/2020/info/

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jm365 said:

Dear Naomi,

Thank you for this chance to see something I am unlikely to see in the UK.  Please can you tell me the plot of Asuka - or where I could find out about it.

It is based on an ancient myth in Japan, Lunkina's character(Sugaru Otome)  is a shrine maiden(kind of Bayadere) chosen to wed to the Dragon God because of her talent in dance.  She accepts her destiny, but then a peasant man (Iwatari, Skvortsov's character) who was her friend in their childhood appears, and they fall in love.  There is also another dragon maiden who loves the dragon god. Eventually Sugaru Otome is punished and falls dead in Iwatari's arms. (on the revival performance, the ending is altered and Sugaru Otome did not die, she was forgiven) 

https://www.ambt.jp/past2018/asuka/

22 minutes ago, jm365 said:

Dear Naomi,

Do you know how long the Kabuki will be available?  I see it is 2 hours long and I must find a time when I can watch for so long!  Thank you.

The Kabuki will be available till April 29th 22:00 Japan time which is 15:00 UK. 

There are a few more videos for this event here. 

https://vimeo.com/user111665080

On 24/04/2020 at 13:53, Naomi M said:

Japan's Star Dancers Ballet is currently streaming Ballet Dragon Quest, based on the popular video game. The streamed version was filmed at Japan Expo in Paris last summer, and is a condensed 40 minute version but very enjoyable.

Is this game based on the sci-fi novels by Anne McCaffrey?  I read them years ago and they were fairly lightweight but fun.  They featured dragons and their riders who shared a telepathic bond - not sure how that could be conveyed through dance but maybe....?  I understand that Sambé portrayed a totally believable cello at the ROH lately.  After that a dragon should be child's play.

Linda

• Like 1

Ballet Cymru have announced on social media that they will be streaming some performances on their YouTube channel, starting with The Light Princess on Sunday afternoon.

The most information I've seen so far is on their Facebook page:

The YouTube channel is here: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCusHNEiSVMvyNaYLIWtmWOg/?fbclid=IwAR0zhtkB3GMooVVmMW2H7k_ekLM6fQT_jwjADfmXfQkNHhz3w0_v90u-CtA

• Like 1

7 hours ago, loveclassics said:

Is this game based on the sci-fi novels by Anne McCaffrey?  I read them years ago and they were fairly lightweight but fun.  They featured dragons and their riders who shared a telepathic bond - not sure how that could be conveyed through dance but maybe....? 

I can't imagine they would have been (how would you portray fighting Thread?  I don't think they've even managed to make a movie yet) - putting "Quest" in a videogame title is hardly unusual :) 

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 10:12, oncnp said:

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.... interview with Xander Parish on Thursday 4/23 

https://viking.tv/index/story/guest-speaker-thursdays?contid=30096130367

Just caught up with this - a very good hour's interview, so thank you, oncnp, for highlighting it.  The individual URL may be this one: https://viking.tv/episode/thursday-episode-3

Some of the more senior BcoF members might enjoy watching this collection of solos and duets from the first act of Loris Gai's take on Massenet's Las Cigale featuring the always haunting Italian prima ballerina, Carla Fracci and the Canadian dancer, Paul Chalmer who danced with the National Ballet of Canada (under Bruhn), Stuttgart (under Haydee) and a goodly number of others.  Indeed I well remember him guesting with London Festival Ballet (now ENB) in Sleeping Beauty and being - as Gremin in Oneign - a most caring partner to the immortal Maximova.  This film was made in 1988 at the Teatro Comunale in Treviso.  (Some of the music may even be familiar to younger BcoF members who may have attended another Massenet assemblage featured at the ROH over the past couple of seasons.)  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Perhaps I need to withdraw some (but only some) of the criticism  I levelled at the ROH elsewhere.

Happy International Dance Day! 

To celebrate, we have collated some of our favourite clips of ballet on stage, in rehearsal, or made from home. Enjoy!

International Dance Day

On the stage

event-header.jpg

Mechanical Dolls

Watch this iconic scene from Ninette de Valois' charming ballet, Coppélia, here.

the-cellist-marcelino-sambe-and-lauren-cuthbertson-c-roh-2020-photographed-by-bill-cooper-6.jpg

Cellist pas de trois 

This beautiful pas de trois is definitely a highlight of Cathy Marston's The Cellist.  

49058567893-146dc6ab4b-b.jpg

Aurora's Act I variation

Fumi Kaneko is simply sublime in this clip from The Sleeping Beauty.

In the studio

winters-tale.jpg

The Winter's Tale

Ahead of this Friday's streaming, why not watch The Royal Ballet rehearseThe Winter's Tale?

concerto.jpg

Concerto

In this clip from World Ballet Day 2019, students of The Royal Ballet School and Royal Ballet Principal Dancers Yasmine Naghdi and Ryoichi Hirano rehearse Kenneth MacMillan's Concerto.

rubies.jpg

Jewels

Enjoy this video of Royal Ballet Principal Dancers Sarah Lamb and Steven McRae rehearsing 'Rubies' from Balanchine's Jewels.

At home

mcrae-and-vassiliev.jpg

First Steps

Make sure to watch this inspiring tap performance by Principal Dancer Steven McRae, his first after his recent achilles reconstruction.

james-hay.jpg

Turnspiration

Trying to perfect your pirouettes at home? Let First Soloist James Hay show you how it's done.

melissa-hamilton.jpg

Would you like milk with that?

First Soloist Melissa Hamilton demonstrates her incredible turn-out in this humorous clip.

the-winter-s-tale-trailer.jpg

Don't Miss

Get ready to watch The Royal Ballet's The Winter's Tale this Friday.

Find out what happens after one family is torn apart by the jealous actions of one man, in Christopher Wheeldon's colourful ballet, adapted from Shakespeare's play.

The Winter's Tale will Premiere for FREE on our Facebook and YouTube channels at 7pm BST on Friday 1 May. Be sure to share your reactions with us using #OurHouseToYourHouse.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 3

Guest oncnp
37 minutes ago, capybara said:

Perhaps I need to withdraw some (but only some) of the criticism  I levelled at the ROH elsewhere.

Happy International Dance Day! 

To celebrate, we have collated some of our favourite clips of ballet on stage, in rehearsal, or made from home. Enjoy!

e-mail?