Lockdown and General Streaming Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oncnp
10 minutes ago, capybara said:

The Teatro San Carlo Nutcracker is on now with Cuthbertson/Muntagirov (eventually).

Do you have a link? Can't seem to find it. Thanks!

20 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Do you have a link? Can't seem to find it. Thanks!

I've just found it on YouTube.   Edited to add that it's clearly not Lauren Cuthbertson in this picture.  The YouTube page does list Lauren Cuthbertson as the Sugar Plum Fairy but I've not yet watched it so can't confirm.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Bluebird said:

Edited to add that it's clearly not Lauren Cuthbertson in this picture. 

No, though rather remote to view, presumably it is  Lauren with Vadim Muntagirov in the video,  but in the still picture surely that is Akane Takada with Vadim ? 

But what was the occasion for these RB dancers appearing at La Scala?  

It wasn’t La Scala - it was the Teatro San Carlo in Naples. I presume just a normal guesting appearance at the time. I know that Takada guested with Muntagirov there one year (which would explain the photo) and Cuthbertson the next. It’s definitely Cuthbertson in the video

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

It wasn’t La Scala - it was the Teatro San Carlo in Naples

Yes of course...thanks Balletfanp.

It looks like the photo is from one of the performances those two gave in December 2017. 

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 1

Guest oncnp
6 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Yes of course...thanks Balletfanp.

It looks like the photo is from a couple of performances those two gave in December 2017. 

According to Lauren Cuthbertson's IG Jan 2019

Edited by oncnp

I like how the ENB broadcasts have tracked progressive restrictions - first we had class at ENB with four dancers and Tamara, then it went down to Tamara with just Francesca Velicu, now we have just Tamara in her kitchen at home!  I believe she will be back on today on ENB's Facebook page at 11am. 

Edited by Quintus
  • Like 3

Not dance, I know, but the National Theatre are streaming some of their filmed productions on YouTube in April.  Details of productions and dates here 

https://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/at-home

Each play will be up for seven days.  Initially includes

One Man Two Guvnors (James Corden - this was very funny live)

Jane Eyre

Treasure Island

Twelfth Night

• Like 5

Apologies to those who don't have Sky but for us fortunate enough to get Sky Arts there's a lot of dance-related material available on their Catch-up option.  I particularly liked the Top Dance Scenes from the Movies which was more than just the usual catalogue-type programme usually seen on Channel 5.  There's genuinely interesting debate about the choices which include a sizeable clip from The Red Shoes, one of my all-time favourites and worth a dozen Black Swans.

There are also plenty of performances of the classic ballets too (plus dance-drama from Matthew Bourne) and you can download them to watch as many times as you like.

Linda

• Like 1

Oh, I loved the Top Dance Scenes programme.

For those who don’t want the full expense of a Sky Package you can get a Now TV stick for around £20.  The Entertainment package is about £10 for a month but with no contractual length and includes Sky Arts. 

• Like 2

Two more upcoming from the ROH (and available for 7 days afterwards):

Gloriana

THE ROYAL OPERA

24 April, 7pm BST

Queen Elizabeth I is forced to choose between love and duty in Richard Jones's production of Britten's grand opera.

The Winter’s Tale

THE ROYAL BALLET

1 May, 7pm BST

A modern ballet classic, Christopher Wheeldon brings Shakespeare's romance to the stage in this tale about the destructive power of jealousy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

Now THIS is what I consider a brilliant idea - 
https://northernballet.com/pay-as-you-feel-season

I already donated to NB because the wording of their cancellation email didn't annoy me (unlike the ROH email).  But I will happily do so again, and again, in order to watch these offerings!

sorry confused with ENB, 

Edited by Janite

17 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

Now THIS is what I consider a brilliant idea - 
https://northernballet.com/pay-as-you-feel-season

I already donated to NB because the wording of their cancellation email didn't annoy me (unlike the ROH email).  But I will happily do so again, and again, in order to watch these offerings!

Press release with a bit more information:

A close up of a logo  Description automatically generated

Friday 27 March 2020
For immediate release

Northern Ballet announces 
Pay As You Feel Digital Season

GetFile?v=1&signature=rm4nAxWlbHQGNyIoPX GetFile?v=1&signature=rm4nAxWlbHQGNyIoPX  

Productions featured include: Jonathan Watkins’ 1984; Mariana Rodrigues’ Little Red Riding Hood; extended highlights from Northern Ballet’s 50th Anniversary Celebration Gala; andDavid Nixon OBE’s Dracula. Kenneth Tindall and Dan Lowenstein’s dance film EGO will also be released.

northernballet.com/pay-as-you-feel

Due to the impact of COVID-19, many of Northern Ballet’s upcoming performances have been cancelled or are under threat of cancellation. Whilst the Company is not performing live at this time, aselection of ballets from Northern Ballet’s repertoire plus a new original dance film will be available to watch online or on television as part of the Company’s Pay As You Feel Digital Season.

Over the next few weeks people will be able to tune into 1984, Little Red Riding Hood and Draculafrom the comfort of their home. The Company will also release a new dance film, Kenneth Tindall and Dan Lowenstein’s EGO plus the extended highlights of their 50th Anniversary Celebration Gala which took place at Leeds Grand Theatre at the beginning of the year.

Northern Ballet are asking audiences to consider making a donation as they watch content from the Pay As You Feel Digital Season to support the Company, their people and work during these unprecedented times and the significant financial hardship the Company is facing. Lost income from cancelled performances could affect Northern Ballet’s ability to pay their workforce, many of whom are freelancers, as well as their ability to present new ballets, including Merlin which is planned to première this autumn. Those who wish to support the Company can donate at northernballet.com/pay-as-you-feel

Kenneth Tindall and Dan Lowenstein’s new dance film EGO kicks off the season and will be available to watch online today, Friday 27 March, from 7pm at northernballet.com/ego. 

EGO explores parallel versions of one couple's relationship. At first appearing the perfect Hollywood romance, the couple’s alter egos tell a different story filled with raw animalistic emotion, asking ‘How much does your ego control your behaviour?’

First premièred in 2015 to critical acclaim, Jonathan Watkins’ award-winning 1984 will be available to watch from Friday 3 April at northernballet.com/1984. Based on George Orwell's masterpiece, the ballet follows the story of Winston Smith and his life of conformity under the watchful eye of Big Brother.

CBeebies will screen their special version of Mariana Rodrigues’ Little Red Riding Hood on Friday 10 April at 9.30am. Created especially for children, Little Red Riding Hood retells the classic fairytalewith a Northern Ballet twist.

From Friday 17 April, extended highlights from Northern Ballet’s 50th Anniversary Celebration Gala will be available to watch at northernballet.com. This sell-out performance featured excerpts of productions from Northern Ballet’s history and brought together dancers from The Royal Ballet, English National Ballet, Birmingham Royal Ballet, Scottish Ballet, The Joffrey Ballet and Phoenix Dance Theatre alongside Northern Ballet’s dancers.

After wowing audiences during its live to cinema performances last Halloween, David Nixon OBE’s Dracula will make its television debut as part of the BBC’s Culture in Quarantine Season. Seducing countless generations, Bram Stoker’s legendary vampire lives on in this extraordinary ballet which will be available to watch in the coming weeks on BBC Four and iPlayer.

To find out more about Northern Ballet’s Pay As You Feel Digital Season, please visit northernballet.com/pay-as-you-feel

-ENDS-

Notes to Editors

Pay As You Feel Digital Season

northernballet.com/pay-as-you-feel

Kenneth Tindall and Dan Lowenstein’s EGO 
Available from Friday 27 March at 7pm
northernballet.com/ego

Jonathan Watkins’ 1984

Available from Friday 3 April

northernballet.com/1984

Mariana Rodrigues’ Little Red Riding Hood 
Friday 10 April, 9.30am
CBeebies

50th Anniversary Celebration Gala - Extended Highlights 
Available from Friday 17 April
northernballet.com

David Nixon OBE’s Dracula 

Part of the BBC’s Culture in Quarantine Season
Available in the coming weeks
BBC Four / iPlayer

About Northern Ballet

In 2020 Northern Ballet is celebrating its 50th Anniversary.

Northern Ballet is one of the UK’s leading ballet companies and the widest touring ballet company in the UK. Bold and innovative in its approach, Northern Ballet is prolific at creating new full-length work with a unique blend of strong classical technique and impressive storytelling. Northern Ballet’s repertoire embraces popular culture and takes inspiration from literature, legend, opera and the classics, pushing the boundaries of what stories can be told through dance.

A champion for the cultural exports of the North, Leeds-based Northern Ballet is dedicated to bringing ballet to as many people and places as possible, under the leadership of Artistic Director David Nixon OBE. Northern Ballet’s Company of 43 dancers performs a combination of its full-length ballets and specially created ballets for children at more than 40 venues annually.

• Like 4

Why not take the opportunity to look further afield and explore some of the offerings on  Vimeo ? Here are a few suggestions

1) Frederick Ashton

A familiar name however the range of his works which we are permitted to see is somewhat limited. Here is an opportunity to  watch "Frederick Ashton performed by the Satasota Ballet" which runs for about an hour and includes excerpts from the works in Sarasota Ballet's repertory some of which we may only know by name rather than being works with which we are all  familiar. It includes excerpts from Apparitions the work which established  Fonteyn's artistic potential and her working relationship with Ashton; Illuminations a work Ashton created for NYCB and Sinfionetta.

2) Antony Tudor

A major twentieth century choreographer whose work is sadly and inexplicably neglected. New York Theater Ballet provide the opportunity to watch two of his greatest works  Jardin aux Lilas/ Lilac Garden and Dark Elegies, the charming Soiree Musicale and a fine account of The Judgment of Paris. All four of which  were made for Rambert's company and an excerpt from Tudor's almost mythical Romeo and Juliet which has not been seen in years because ABT's artistic director says it would cost too much to revive. It is not set to the all too familiar Prokofiev score but to music by Delius.

You might also like to look at Inaki Urlezaga's official website where you will find excerpts from Romeo and Juliet which he danced with Cuthbertson and a full account of Birthday Offering. You need to know that the lead ballerina does not dance the Fonteyn solo but while. it is not a completely idiomatic account of the choreography it is a whole lot better than the Royal Ballet manged last tine they danced it. The site also includes far less familiar works which you may find worth watching.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, FLOSS said:

Why not take the opportunity to look further afield and explore some of the offerings on  Vimeo ? Here are a few suggestions

Some links would be most welcome, FLOSS :) 

I'm not entering the Liam Scarlett debate, but here is a short film about the making of 'Nasz Chopin' for the Polish National Ballet in April 2019 with some excellently watchable ballet. Principal is Dawid Trzensimiech, Royal Ballet Upper School trained, and former Solist with The Royal Ballet. In the corps are Phoebe Liggins (ENB School trained) and my own Laurence Elliott (Upper School trained), both in their first professional company jobs.

• Like 3