Lockdown and General Streaming Thread

Dear  moderators, I was wondering if there is any chance of renaming this thread "General Streaming" now - or perhaps splitting it and having the more recent posts under a new "General Streaming" thread?  "Lockdown" is something I would hope  we can now put behind us. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oncnp
9 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Wow thanks oncnp, from a quick scan this  looks to be a great line-up, and I am now looking forward to watching it in full. 

just be warned I found the sound a little dodgy.....

Edited by oncnp

I am looking forward to watching the Etoiles gala this weekend and also the Ukraine one again before the 2 May deadline.  

I hope the recording of both is a new trend … despite criticisms of quality (sound in Etoiles…  lighting and camerawork could be better on the Ukraine one) 

I’m just delighted that recordings are finally being made of more performances.  Even RB are now filming at least one performance from each production for streaming or cinema .  

This is a welcome trend.  Possibly hastened by Covid. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oncnp

"Between the Rooms," a deeply moving work from director and choreographer @kim.brandstrup showcases @annaclynecomposer's gorgeous musical setting of poetry by Emily Dickinson. This haunting piece features the vocal talents of @joelleharvey1, dancers @dancingalinaofficial and @matty_ball, and accompaniment from @theknightsnyc under @ejacobsenmusic's baton.

Premiere on Facebook and YouTube Friday, May 13, at 11AM PT (Pacific time - 7:00 PM London)

Between the Rooms | LA Opera

Edited by oncnp

On 12/05/2022 at 19:03, oncnp said:

"Between the Rooms," a deeply moving work from director and choreographer @kim.brandstrup showcases @annaclynecomposer's gorgeous musical setting of poetry by Emily Dickinson. This haunting piece features the vocal talents of @joelleharvey1, dancers @dancingalinaofficial and @matty_ball, and accompaniment from @theknightsnyc under @ejacobsenmusic's baton.

Premiere on Facebook and YouTube Friday, May 13, at 11AM PT (Pacific time - 7:00 PM London)

Between the Rooms | LA Opera

Profound.  Here’s the video. 

• Like 1

Guest oncnp

Sorry, don't know where else to put this (mods please move if appropriate) and not worth a new thread.....The Arts Council (and its funding) are under review according to The Stage.....

Arts Council England’s future is to be considered as part of a government review into all arm’s-length bodies, which could see some bodies scrapped and significant savings demanded from those that remain.

Central government to review Arts Council's future (thestage.co.uk)

Edited by oncnp

Yes, very interesting indeed.  As this article has a paywall I will - as per the stated guidelines - quote but two sentences that some non-subscribers may find of interest - 

"Reviews will consider whether the body should be abolished or retained; whether it should continue to deliver all of its functions; and whether it has an effective relationship with its department.

Where it is concluded that a body should be retained, departments will be asked to identify a minimum of 5% of savings to each organisation’s expenditure, with a target to achieve this saving within one to three years. 

-----------

Definitely food for thought methinks .. 

I can't see the full article, which may clarify this, but in this case does the 5% cut refer to "internal" expenditure rather than money disbursed to arts organisations? Given the bit about delivering functions, this would seem the more logical interpretation.

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
24 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I can't see the full article, which may clarify this, but in this case does the 5% cut refer to "internal" expenditure rather than money disbursed to arts organisations? Given the bit about delivering functions, this would seem the more logical interpretation.

All it says is 5% - doesn't say in this brief article where it comes from. 

BTW in looking at the official government list in the announcement (Guidance on the undertaking of Reviews of Public Bodies - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)) the list is not just the arts but appears to include organizations such as the NHS and NICE 

Edited by oncnp

17 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Some years ago I was at a Northern Ballet celebration dinner and 3 Arts Council members of staff were seated at out table.

I have to say that by the end of the evening I felt really sorry for them.  They were saying (but I don't know if this will be the case this time) that they were given the choice of losing staff or less funding for organisations they support.  What an invidious position to put people in.  As they were all passionate about the arts they had chosen the "lose staff" option.

Was wondering where to ask this...the title of this thread does include 'lockdown', and I certainly don't want to predict or mention another one happening. But - is anyone concerned about the monkey pox virus at all, and the whether the rising cases will impact anything?

6 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Was wondering where to ask this...the title of this thread does include 'lockdown', and I certainly don't want to predict or mention another one happening. But - is anyone concerned about the monkey pox virus at all, and the whether the rising cases will impact anything?

I am not concerned.

• Like 3

Free from the Finland National Ballet

I just watched the full performance of 'Sibelius' , the ballet with music by Sibelius and Richard Strauss. I picked out two excellent sections.
Richard Strauss - Der Rosenkavelier between 33:55 and 48:13
Sibelius Violin Concerto between 54:20 and 01:02:49
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Australian Ballet’s ‘Kunstkamer’(art room in English ) will be streamed all over the world. choreographed by Crystal Pite, Marco Goecke, Paul Lightfoot, Sol Leon.

Friday 10 June from 7:15pm (AEST, Melbourne), available for 48 hours .  $25 AUD. 

London : Friday 10 June from 10:15am(about £15

Paris: Friday 10 June from 11:15am about €17

Moscow, St Petersburg : Friday 10 June from 12:15 pmabout 1140 rouble

Trailer https://youtu.be/5u13o7XHUNA

Tickets 

https://australianballet.com.au/the-ballets/live-on-ballet-tv

Originally ‘Kunstkamer’is created for Netherlands Dance Theatre’s 60 year anniversary 2019. Then Australian ballet ‘s artistic director David Hallberg chose this work to for cerebrating the Australian ballet’s 60 years anniversary in 2022. Inspired by the book, 18th-century ‘s ‘cabinet of curiosities’, kind of picture book.

It’s not a mix bill, but 4 choreographers created 1 piece ‘ Kunstkamer’. It’s the ‘Monster’ work.

Reviews 

1. “Exceptional. Don’t miss this tour de force from the Australian Ballet.” Sydney Morning Herald(★★★★½

2. ‘The Australian Ballet's “beautiful monster” is dance perfection’ by Backtrack ★★★★★

3. “Kunstkamer is a masterpiece and this production by The Australian Ballet exceeds all expectations, proving a triumph for AD David Hallberg and the dancers.”by Limelight magazine ★★★★★

4. “A magic box of treasures. The company is on fire.” The Australian

Lastly it’s David Hallberg’s last program to dance as a dancer.

The characteristic parts are dancers speak and sing.

Synopsis, detail program, casts 

https://australianballet.com.au/casting/kunstkamer-melbourne-cast-sheet

More video clips areon  the Australian ballet’s Instagram or David Hallberg’s Instagram

I watched it in Sydney live and it was just AMAZING!!!

You can’t expect what will be but it’s totally over expected and overwhelmed. 

Edited by summerluna
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, summerluna said:

Originally ‘Kunstkamer’is created for Netherlands Dance Theatre’s 60 year anniversary 2019.

Kunstkamer was supposed to be the farewell work of Paul Lightfoot and Sol León after more than 30 years dancing and choreographing for NDT. All the scheduled guest performances at Paris, London, Madrid and Baden-Baden, their farewell tour, had to be canceled due to the Corona lockdown. I thought I would never see the piece and I'm very happy about the live-stream.

The NDT page for the piece with information, booklet and music list is still online.

https://www.ndt.nl/en/agenda/kunstkamer/

• Like 1

Paul Lightfoot is a British choreographer widely unknown in his home country, partly because of Clement Crisp's lifelong propaganda against the NDT. With all due respect, he was the greatest of all dance writers, but he prevented the English audience from seeing more Kylián, van Manen, Lightfoot/León et. al., an important part of European choreography.

1 hour ago, Angela said:

Paul Lightfoot is a British choreographer widely unknown in his home country, partly because of Clement Crisp's lifelong propaganda against the NDT. With all due respect, he was the greatest of all dance writers, but he prevented the English audience from seeing more Kylián, van Manen, Lightfoot/León et. al., an important part of European choreography.

I've been lucky to see NDT and NDT2 a few times over the years in the UK (firstly being a very memorable season in Bradford, then at Edinburgh and more recently at The Lowry) and some Kylián at British companies (the first time I saw Petite Mort it was LFB/ENB) but I agree we should see more.

One of the most striking Lightfoot Leon works I can remember is Sleight of Hand.

Interestingly a number of British dancers I have spoken to over the years have cited Kylián and NDT as inspirations (usually when I have bumped into them at performances).

• Like 3

19 hours ago, summerluna said:

The Australian Ballet’s ‘Kunstkamer’(art room in English ) will be streamed all over the world.

And also Ratmansky's reconstruction of Harlequinade on 24th June, and Cranko's Romeo & Juliet on 18th October.

• Like 2

Not a livestream but a recent performance (15 April 2022) of the famous Bashkir-Tatar ballet Song of the Cranes, courtesy of the Bashkir Theater of Opera and Ballet in Ufa…Nureyev’s home town! Most balletomanes know the acrobatic pas de deux that occasionally turns up in galas; here’s the full ballet:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=27gDXXy9z5w

Up until ???

Music by Lev Stepanov & Zagir Ismagilov

Choreo by Nina Anissimova & Haliafa Safyullina 

Cast Leads

Zaitungil - Gulsina Mavlyukasova

Yumagul - Rustam Ishakov

Leader of the Cranes - Lilia Zainigabdinova

I read somewhere that Nureyev’s mom took him to this ballet…and the rest was history.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 05/06/2022 at 03:51, summerluna said:

The Australian Ballet’s ‘Kunstkamer’(art room in English ) will be streamed all over the world. choreographed by Crystal Pite, Marco Goecke, Paul Lightfoot, Sol Leon.

Friday 10 June from 7:15pm (AEST, Melbourne), available for 48 hours .  $25 AUD. 

London : Friday 10 June from 10:15am(about £15

Paris: Friday 10 June from 11:15am about €17

Moscow, St Petersburg : Friday 10 June from 12:15 pmabout 1140 rouble

Trailer https://youtu.be/5u13o7XHUNA

Tickets 

https://australianballet.com.au/the-ballets/live-on-ballet-tv

Originally ‘Kunstkamer’is created for Netherlands Dance Theatre’s 60 year anniversary 2019. Then Australian ballet ‘s artistic director David Hallberg chose this work to for cerebrating the Australian ballet’s 60 years anniversary in 2022. Inspired by the book, 18th-century ‘s ‘cabinet of curiosities’, kind of picture book.

It’s not a mix bill, but 4 choreographers created 1 piece ‘ Kunstkamer’. It’s the ‘Monster’ work.

Reviews 

1. “Exceptional. Don’t miss this tour de force from the Australian Ballet.” Sydney Morning Herald(★★★★½

2. ‘The Australian Ballet's “beautiful monster” is dance perfection’ by Backtrack ★★★★★

3. “Kunstkamer is a masterpiece and this production by The Australian Ballet exceeds all expectations, proving a triumph for AD David Hallberg and the dancers.”by Limelight magazine ★★★★★

4. “A magic box of treasures. The company is on fire.” The Australian

Lastly it’s David Hallberg’s last program to dance as a dancer.

The characteristic parts are dancers speak and sing.

Synopsis, detail program, casts 

https://australianballet.com.au/casting/kunstkamer-melbourne-cast-sheet

More video clips areon  the Australian ballet’s Instagram or David Hallberg’s Instagram

I watched it in Sydney live and it was just AMAZING!!!

You can’t expect what will be but it’s totally over expected and overwhelmed. 

I just finished watching the livestream and OMG it was phantastic!!! It's hard to tell highlights, amazing company (Soloists and corps!!) and great production, I loved all of it. Ok yes highlights were: everything when David Hallberg was onstage,  all Goecke (with surprising humor in "Johann"), and the "Beethoven" - such amazing work for the corps (thank you Paul Lightfoot).

Ah it was a bliss❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️