RBS Junior Associate Newbies

BattementBatty

Hello I was just coming on to see if anyone else was thinking about changing from the 24 to the 32 sessions. We went for 24 initially to see how things went (of course when you apply for the programme the whole possibility of being accepted seems so unlikely anyway!). But my daughter is absolutely loving it and misses it on the days that she doesn't go. On the other hand, she has made lots of friends in her current class, and she adores her teacher. It's a tricky one. Just wondering how common it is for people to change classes, particularly between year 4 and year 5, which is our situation.

• Like 1

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, GabrielleDeV said:

Hello I was just coming on to see if anyone else was thinking about changing from the 24 to the 32 sessions. We went for 24 initially to see how things went (of course when you apply for the programme the whole possibility of being accepted seems so unlikely anyway!). But my daughter is absolutely loving it and misses it on the days that she doesn't go. On the other hand, she has made lots of friends in her current class, and she adores her teacher. It's a tricky one. Just wondering how common it is for people to change classes, particularly between year 4 and year 5, which is our situation.

JA1? If so, my DS is in that class too. 🙂 Their teacher is wonderful. 

I guess the upside is your DD won’t be alone - I can imagine others will change over too and she will still know some classmates (really considering it for my DS - he is also ‘new’ but a yr5 in the class so we’d be changing for yr6).  And I’m sure the other teacher must be just as lovely too. 🙂 

I emailed to query the session options and apparently it’s up to us and our family schedules (and I guess it must be down to places available too, I’m sure but sounds like they are open to people switching to more or less sessions). 

9 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Thank you SJBallet. That’s probably the bit I’m struggling with most - we are so busy in general that I really savour the occasional weekend off. DS will probably be fine but not sure I’m ready. 😂 

To be honest. I did change my working patterns once September came so that I only work 4 days. That way I can get ahead of myself before the weekend hits. If I’m not taking DD to JAs we’re at football with out DS so we really don’t have weekends free. I’d have really found this hard if I was out at work 5 days a week too. 

• Like 1

My DS does 32 and we would like 32 next year. I think he needs all the training he can get. We are about an 1.5 hour away and it has been ok. It does split the family up on weekends with one parent going to London and the other staying locally with another child. DS loved being in the boys class and looking up to the year 6 boys. 

We seem to have a different half-term so had the 2 Saturdays of our half-term are taken by JA and this half-term we have the workshop in the middle too but we are very happy and feel very fortunate and time is just flying and already more than half-way through the year. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

JA1? If so, my DS is in that class too. 🙂 Their teacher is wonderful. 

I guess the upside is your DD won’t be alone - I can imagine others will change over too and she will still know some classmates (really considering it for my DS - he is also ‘new’ but a yr5 in the class so we’d be changing for yr6).  And I’m sure the other teacher must be just as lovely too. 🙂 

I emailed to query the session options and apparently it’s up to us and our family schedules (and I guess it must be down to places available too, I’m sure but sounds like they are open to people switching to more or less sessions). 

Ah, yes! We are also in JA1. You're absolutely right, of course - I'm sure all the other teachers (and children) are equally lovely no matter which class they're in. I'll talk to my daughter and see what she wants to do - but will certainly be good to reassure her that others consider the switch! 🙂

• Like 1

This is interesting as we had previously wanted 32 sessions but got allocated 24 but my DS is happy with the 24 currently ....I was under the impression that when changing to year 6 in London, it was automatically 32 sessions for all year 6’s ? 
Is that correct or is it still split up into a boys 24 sessions and a boys 32 sessions?

If a year 5 wanted to change to 32 sessions, would they change from the year 4+5 24 sessions class to the year 4+5 32 sessions or are there any year 5’s in the boys only year 6 classes ? 

1 minute ago, Julsgalaxy said:

This is interesting as we had previously wanted 32 sessions but got allocated 24 but my DS is happy with the 24 currently ....I was under the impression that when changing to year 6 in London, it was automatically 32 sessions for all year 6’s ? 
Is that correct or is it still split up into a boys 24 sessions and a boys 32 sessions?

If a year 5 wanted to change to 32 sessions, would they change from the year 4+5 24 sessions class to the year 4+5 32 sessions or are there any year 5’s in the boys only year 6 classes ? 

I have no idea to be honest - I emailed and asked if we are allowed to change and the impact this might have (on changing class and teacher) and was told one teacher teaches 24 sessions (his current one) and the other teaches 32 and that it’s really up to us. 
 Is there a mixed class with year 6s in? I thought there was but I could be wrong. Or is it two yr4&5 mixed ones and two yr6 classes (one boys, one girls)? 

My son actually really enjoys being in his mixed class as he’s made a lot of friends with the boys and the girls so I think switching to all boys might bother him (but I’m sure only at first). Lots to think about. We are very lucky either way. 
Our youngest DD is auditioning this year too (highly unlikely she’ll get in though) for a yr5 place. And our eldest DD (teen) is not overly impressed with all the travelling as is. 

2 hours ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Yes, it’s just over 2hrs of travelling by trains each way for us (about 70 miles).  I don’t mind too much as Covent Garden is lovely but it does take up a whole day and we are pretty knackered by the time we get home again in the evening. 

Yeah that's alot of travelling but going to Covent garden.. wow! DD is doing the Covent garden workshop and can't wait haha 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

Yeah that's alot of travelling but going to Covent garden.. wow! DD is doing the Covent garden workshop and can't wait haha 

Oh it’s lovely there. You’ll enjoy it! Loads to see. Does get a bit expensive though trying to occupy yourself in the time they are in. 😰 The shops are all really expensive (if I look, I tend to buy - oops!) and I find sitting in a coffee shop trying to make one hot chocolate last as long as possible a bit painful. 😂 

The art galleries in Trafalgar Square are great though (and free) and the British Museum is not too long a walk away. ☺️ 

• Like 2

On 05/02/2020 at 15:49, BalletBoyMumma said:

Thank you. 🙂 

So there’s a mixed yr4 and 5 class, an all boys yr5 and 6, and then two others for juniors. I think. 🤔 

There is an all girls class (I think y5 and 6) after the all boys class  taught by the same teacher.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It looks like it so far @Lara Eschler - we've not heard anything about JA classes being cancelled at DD's centre yet - but I think it is inevitable that they will be at some point. Such a shame re. the spring intensive, however much it is the right thing to do it's still really disappointing for everyone who was due to attend that. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 08/02/2020 at 11:12, Lara Eschler said:

There is an all girls class (I think y5 and 6) after the all boys class  taught by the same teacher.  

Hi @Lara Eschler. 

I hope you are all well. :) 
My DS has been offered a JA4 place now (yay!) - can I just check the class times with you? I feel a bit silly that I didn’t check this before so thought I’d ask you before going sheepishly back to ask admin. Oops! 

Edited by BalletBoyMumma
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Hi @Lara Eschler. 

I hope you are all well. :) 
My DS has been offered a JA4 place now (yay!) - can I just check the class times with you? I feel a bit silly that I didn’t check this before so thought I’d ask you before going sheepishly back to ask admin. Oops! 

Hi @BalletBoyMumma, it starts at 9:30 but they prefer to have the boys at 9am and some people get there at 8:30-8:45. They get out at 11:45. Looking forward to seeing you there and hopefully all will be back to normal by then 😀

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

Hi @BalletBoyMumma, it starts at 9:30 but they prefer to have the boys at 9am and some people get there at 8:30-8:45. They get out at 11:45. Looking forward to seeing you there and hopefully all will be back to normal by then 😀

Thank you!!! ❤️❤️❤️ 

Gosh! That was my fear. We’d have to leave home via train at 6.30am. And that’d still be ‘close’ time wise. Eek! But on the plus side it does give us the rest of the day and he doesn’t miss lunch (he always comes out absolutely starving despite eating before going in at 11.30). I really should have asked this before putting it on the form. Oops!

I guess it’s just for one year. 😬😁 

• Like 1

On 01/06/2020 at 19:19, BalletBoyMumma said:

Thank you!!! ❤️❤️❤️ 

Gosh! That was my fear. We’d have to leave home via train at 6.30am. And that’d still be ‘close’ time wise. Eek! But on the plus side it does give us the rest of the day and he doesn’t miss lunch (he always comes out absolutely starving despite eating before going in at 11.30). I really should have asked this before putting it on the form. Oops!

I guess it’s just for one year. 😬😁 

Hi, another JA4 mum here, where are you heading in from? Our journey also starts around 06:30 as well, and we get there for 08:55 ish, upside is Covent Garden is so quiet, it is wonderful.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/06/2020 at 17:08, Sarahitaly said:

Hi, another JA4 mum here, where are you heading in from? Our journey also starts around 06:30 as well, and we get there for 08:55 ish, upside is Covent Garden is so quiet, it is wonderful.

We are coming from Seaford on the south/east coast. It’s good to know it’s doable and we won’t be the only ones needing to travel so early. 😊

Have you all seen today’s email? It’s thrown a huge spanner in the works for us. :( 

1 minute ago, SJBallet said:

Yes it didn’t have any info about our centre at all. The email started well and then nothing 😢

Oh gosh. :( I hope yours will be better than ours. 

Ours means Zoom classes (which I’m not sure I can bring myself to do as DS really dislikes them and I don’t want ballet to become a battle, which it has been a bit during lockdown) or having our younger daughter give up her associates class (elsewhere) so DS can attend on Sundays (which is really unfair on her) and then travel, it takes us over two hours by train and Sunday service is appalling where we are.

I really appreciate the lengths they are going to to make things workable though, it just might not be doable for us. :( 

I think DD will do the zoom classes if it comes to it especially if it’s her usual teacher, she didn’t enjoy the pre recorded though. 

But I wonder what will happen with fees as they won’t be getting the full 2 1/2 hrs! 

I'm hoping that, as another parent pointed out, the fact that our centre wasn’t mentioned, might be good news. 

• Like 1

Have to say I am glad DD has come to the end of her JA journey. We were not impressed at all by the lessons she was sent, and still wanted 50% fees. If she had another year and it was by Zoom I dont think she would be doing them!!

5 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

Have to say I am glad DD has come to the end of her JA journey. We were not impressed at all by the lessons she was sent, and still wanted 50% fees. If she had another year and it was by Zoom I dont think she would be doing them!!

I think it’s so sad to hear this. 

I agree the lessons were poor. As DD is only. Year 4, soon to be year 5, I suppose I feel it’s just a blip and we’ll get back to normal soon and continue our journey as a JA x

@BellaF - It’s all depending on individual venues and any local lockdowns that may occur, but in part, yes, and day changes for some centres too. 

My DS wasn’t keen on the recorded lessons either but did them and didn’t want to do hardly any of the tasks in the weekly newsletter (he has spent most of this time upset at the loss of social dancing so can be a bit stubborn - lots of talk of quitting ballet and many tears shed from him ☹️) but we were very grateful for the lessons/resources - it was good to have something, even if it wasn’t ideal (everything else stopped for us). DS did read through every newsletter and enjoyed looking at artwork and recognising names of classmates on the lovely pieces in the ‘students corner’ section of the newsletter but he didn’t want to submit anything himself. So the effort that went into it all was definitely appreciated. The end of term Zoom meeting was much needed too. ❤️

I can’t imagine it is easy to provide something of particularly high quality to be done at home and in such short notice AND still manage to pay overheads hence I understand them asking for 50% of the fees (I felt awful about submitting the refund form but had to and we’ve also had to think long and hard about being able to afford another year’s fees). 

As I’m sure everyone is, we were desperately longing for some sense of normality, the high quality training we’ve come to appreciate, and had hoped that JA classes would give us all that again. But I do understand the difficulties they are facing so no criticisms from me - I’m just not looking forward to having to make difficult choices about where we go from here.
It could be much worse (I have to keep reminding myself of this).