Shale Wagman @ mariinsky

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow - are we thinking an imminent permanent move to St. Petersburg maybe on the cards for him? I saw him in the Pas de Trois (ENB’s ‘Swan Lake’ last year) and he’s certainly got some stage presence -  and that’s apart from his virtuoso technique.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mandy Kent said:

I suppose that’s a possibility. He has already guested at the Mariinsky in a Gala earlier this year. I’m keenly ‘watching’ his career. He has so much potential. 

Yes I agree and I am also watching his career progression. He certainly has that ‘certain charisma’ about him.

• Like 1

I've seen him dance quite a few times at ENB this season including Emerging Dancer. I think he has great potential, certainly already a very good technique but I also feel that he could easily go down the slippery slope of the "look at me" dancers which would be a pity. 

James is an interesting role for him because it doesn't just require the dancer to show (not show off) his technique, the presentation of the character is important too. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, annamk said:

I've seen him dance quite a few times at ENB this season including Emerging Dancer. I think he has great potential, certainly already a very good technique but I also feel that he could easily go down the slippery slope of the "look at me" dancers which would be a pity. 

James is an interesting role for him because it doesn't just require the dancer to show (not show off) his technique, the presentation of the character is important too. 

I had the pleasure of seeing rehearsals for La Sylphide here in Berlin, with the Bournonville experts Eva Kloborg and Frank Andersen doing a lot of work with the Staatsballett.  The Bournonville "style" is not easy to prepare for, although it looks "easy". Like you said @annamk , the presentation is important, and the modern eye is no more used to all the gestures and pantomime. I agree that this is a good role for Shale, and I keep my fingers and toes crossed that he masters it. It's an extraordinary opportunity, I am actually a bit speechless that he is supposed to dance it. Not because I think he is not ready for it, but isn't that pretty unusual. 

Regarding your remark "look at me": of course he wants to be seen, on stage.😀 Time is precious for dancers, as we know. My personal feeling is that it would take him ages to make his way through the ranks in ENB. He's got principal dancer quality already now, there is no doubt, and someone saw it 😉 and was quick. And if he is impatient...he has every right for it, being young and being aware of what he can actually deliver. He wants to show it NOW. Nothing wrong with that. ❤

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sabine0308 said:

My personal feeling is that it would take him ages to make his way through the ranks in ENB. 

I don’t know - ENB is pretty good at accelerating the careers of its male dancers (see also Muntagirov and Corrales).

Edited by Lizbie1
Typo
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, capybara said:

Not yet to me, I'm afraid, although Shale is undoubtedly very talented indeed technically.

Yes he has a beautiful technique and I also think that he has huge  principal dancer potential - this was clearly recognised by the prestigious panel at last year’s PDL as he not only won the gold medal, but they also awarded the Nureyev prize to him.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sabine0308 said:

He's got principal dancer quality already now, there is no doubt, and someone saw it 😉

I completely agree Sabine0308 - I saw him at last year’s PDL and he immediately stood out from all the other candidates - not only because of his very polished and clean classical technique, but his confidence and presence in performance which was way beyond his youth.

Edited by Springbourne3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Springbourne3 said:

I completely agree Sabine0308 - I saw him at last year’s PDL and he immediately stood out from all the other candidates - not only because of his very polished and clean classical technique, but his confidence and presence in performance which was way beyond his youth.

And the joy on his face! This wasn't just the required smile. reminds me of his reply on the EN website to the question "career highlights" (PDL of course is mentioned) : "...and each moment spent on stage".👍

• Like 2

Have I misunderstood something here.....he hasn't left ENB to join the Mariinsky has he? I thought he had just been invited to do this performance ( of maybe there's more than one) 

The surprise here to me is that they would ask a non principal from another Company to dance with one of their Principal ladies. In that way it us an honour of sorts but though I like him a lot he has not danced enough important roles as yet to be considered ready to be a Prncipal ....but these opportunities are great in working towards that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LinMM said:

Have I misunderstood something here.....he hasn't left ENB to join the Mariinsky has he? I thought he had just been invited to do this performance ( of maybe there's more than one) 

LinMM , he has not left ENB.

He was invited to guest , first of all at a gala earlier this year, and now as James in La Sylphide on July 19 th . 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LinMM said:

The surprise here to me is that they would ask a non principal from another Company to dance with one of their Principal ladies. In that way it us an honour of sorts but though I like him a lot he has not danced enough important roles as yet to be considered ready to be a Prncipal ....but these opportunities are great in working towards that.

There are always exceptions though - an example would be the rapid rise of May Nagahisa (also a past student from Academy Princess Grace) within the Mariinsky ranks - here’s a little snippet of her in her recent  ‘Giselle’ début at the Mariinsky;

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Springbourne3 said:

There are always exceptions though - an example would be the rapid rise of May Nagahisa (also a past student from Academy Princess Grace) within the Mariinsky ranks - here’s a little snippet of her in her recent  ‘Giselle’ début at the Mariinsky;

May Nagahisa is actually a Mariinsky second soloist, and it isn't at all unusual for a company soloist to dance principal roles at the Mariinsky. Shale Wagman however is going to guest at the Mariinsky, and it is indeed quite rare for the Mariinsky to invite a non principal to guest(good for him though!! :) ). I myself can't think of such a scenario happened before.. does anyone else have an example? 

8 hours ago, SylviaLiu said:

May Nagahisa is actually a Mariinsky second soloist, and it isn't at all unusual for a company soloist to dance principal roles at the Mariinsky. Shale Wagman however is going to guest at the Mariinsky, and it is indeed quite rare for the Mariinsky to invite a non principal to guest(good for him though!! :) ). I myself can't think of such a scenario happened before.. does anyone else have an example? 

I think another case would be Héloïse Bourdon who was invited to dance Odette-Odile as part of the 2016 Mariinsky International Dance Festival. (A slightly different context I suppose since the festival always involves guests from abroad.) At that time, I think Bourdon may only have been a "sujet" at the POB--but in any case she was not a principal. Still, it is surely a very rare occurrence.

I hope Wagman has a huge success there.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SylviaLiu said:

It is a relatively small role, but the beginning was that May Nagahisa was invited to Mariinsky International Festival 2016 while she was still a student at the Princess Grace Academy and only 16, when she danced the Manu solo of La Bayadere. Then next year, she joined Mariinsky as a trainee, and entered the Company as a second soloist when she became 18. (although she danced many soloist roles when she was still a trainee) 

• Like 5

The difference is ...I think ...that Shale has been invited to dance as a guest with an established Principal dancer of the Mariinsky ....in a whole ballet. Not just doing a few soloist bits ...or dancing with others there who are not Principals ......and May Nagahisa was already with the Company when she danced this Giselle.

Not to take anything at all away from her achievements......She certainly looks amazing ....and someone one would like to see perform for real! 

In fact a decidedly  relishing prospect would be to see Shale and May dancing together!! 

• Like 4