Shale Wagman @ mariinsky

On 25/06/2019 at 14:35, Mandy Kent said:

If anyone else is planning to go , and would like to meet up, please send me a PM ...

We will meet up, if I survive the next days. 38°C in Berlin since days...😥

Looking forward to this adventure😍

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Rhys Antoni Yeoman’s Instagram story, it was Shale Wagman’s last day with ENB today. Shale posted a story yesterday that suggested he might be on his way. Rina Kanehara has also posted a photo of herself with him saying that she’ll miss him. 

It is a pity, I feel he would’ve had access to more contemporary roles in ENB which he seems to enjoy but it’s his choice ultimately. Seems like a very Fateyev move from my speculation. I wouldn’t be surprised if he enters the Mariinsky and shoots up the ranks, he’d fit in quite well there.

Oh no!!  

was looking forward to watching him for a bit longer at ENB but if he has been offered a job at the Mariinsky who can blame him!

I did have a feeling he wouldn't stay that long in the UK though but thought more of him either in the USA or Canada. 

But great if he spends a couple of years with the Mariinsky....who wouldn't if had the talent ....maybe he will be dancing with them in a years time when due a visit to UK ....that is if they will still come every two years ....the Bolshoi hasn't been for three years this time  so hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Oh my word - what an amazing opportunity.  Shale has wonderful stage presence (see both his Prix de Lausanne performances and also the Monte Carlo school end of year show - his stage presence draws your eye away from all other performers).   And he has wonderful Bournonville-style allegro technique as required for the James’ role in ’La Sylphide’.  And youthful exuberance in abundance.  I’m sure he’ll give a careful and respectful performance.  Thrilled for him

• Like 3

13 hours ago, FionaE said:

Small correction - Olesya Novikova is a first soloist (next rank below principal) at Mariinsky according to their webpage

Mariinsky really owes her the principal title ... she has all the qualities required for a principal... 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SylviaLiu said:

Mariinsky really owes her the principal title ... she has all the qualities required for a principal... 

And some! At one end of the spectrum she is an exquisite Giselle, at the other a feisty Kitri. She is a real artist, right at the top of the Mariinsky tree, in my view. Shale has struck gold with his Sylph.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, capybara said:

And some! At one end of the spectrum she is an exquisite Giselle, at the other a feisty Kitri. She is a real artist, right at the top of the Mariinsky tree, in my view. Shale has struck gold with his Sylph.

so as at the Royal Ballet we see principal-quality soloists at Mariinsky waiting to be promoted.  There’s a real abundance of fabulous talent around.  Are we not lucky to be living in this age of excellence !

10 hours ago, FionaE said:

so as at the Royal Ballet we see principal-quality soloists at Mariinsky waiting to be promoted.  

The only catch being that the wonderful Novikova has been there for some considerable time ... with a goodly number of others having been upwardly promoted in and around her during that sojourn .... One might have thought it would - sorry might - have been otherwise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

The only catch being that the wonderful Novikova has been there for some considerable time ... with a goodly number of others having been upwardly promoted in and around her during that sojourn .... One might have thought it would - sorry might - have been otherwise. 

Hmm.  Shame.  There are quite a few older and/or close to retiring female principals at Mariinsky, so 🤞

I'm a bit confused now about Shale Wagmans position at the moment!! When he was saying ( apparently) Goodbye London Hello St Petersburg ....could this not have been for this guest appearance he is making in La Sylphide? Has he actually joined the Mariinsky Company on a more permanent basis? Has he actually left ENB permanently or just not with them currently while guesting etc? 

Oh what a (White) night ! The most incredible debut from a young and rapidly rising star! This 19 year old has a technique and stage presence beyond his years. His performance as James in La Sylphide was confident and his light and fleet footed dancing was a dream . Congratulations Shale ! 

• Like 6

The video of him and Novikova looks amazing ...from both of them ....don't know if that recording was from a rehearsal or from the live performance but certainly "out there" pretty quickly. Looks totally delightful!

• Like 1

Wow bravo Shale!! 

We seem to have two threads regarding Shale now although I suppose the other one is more performance related than news of them coming up! 

I am hoping that he is still with ENB though for his sake would have to get some sort of promotion I think ....if even just to soloist if he can dance like that! 

There is another clip of part of a pas de deux with Novikova which was on Facebook will see if can find it.

Bravo on Shale’s début!  Spotted him a few years ago at the Academy Princess Grace and he reminded me of the late Patrick Bissell of ABT in looks and exuberance.  I thought that after the PDL he only had a year’s contract with ENB - but I cannot find that information at the moment.

Maybe he’ll join the RB (wishful thinking on my part 🤔).

I wouldn’t be surprised if he joined the Mariinsky though - what an opportunity.

• Like 1

Ah yes I forgot that .....the PDL contract he got with ENB was only initially for one year.

They would be mad not to have asked him to continue there then......unless of course he didn't want to! 

I suppose he is free now to audition for anywhere he wants to including the Royal .....but I cannot imagine there is a vacancy just at the moment for his level etc .....so many wanting those soloist contracts. 

I just don't think he would fit in at less than soloist level in many Companies.

Ah well possibly yes......it's usually only a year's contract offered initially with a Company or School placing after the Prix de Lausanne but there will be exceptions I'm sure. 

In that case there is no reason to believe he has left ENB then and is just guesting with Mariinsky currently. 

Im trying to remember what the Company are actually doing just at present ......perhaps on holiday ...or preparing for the move to City Island before rehearsals begin for next season? They could still be on tour though. 

54 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Ah well possibly yes......it's usually only a year's contract offered initially with a Company or School placing after the Prix de Lausanne but there will be exceptions I'm sure. 

In that case there is no reason to believe he has left ENB then and is just guesting with Mariinsky currently. 

Im trying to remember what the Company are actually doing just at present ......perhaps on holiday ...or preparing for the move to City Island before rehearsals begin for next season? They could still be on tour though. 

I received an email from ENB today including photos of the company packing up to leave Markova House.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone follows Shale on Instagram he has posted a link to an article in Russian from Beatrice magazine. Negotiating with google Chrome’s translation tool, despite the terrible translation, it does seem to suggest his performance at the Mariinsky is not a one off.

”This dancer was ‘acquired’ by the Mariinsky, not as a one off but for many seasons.”

www.beatrice.com/shalewagman - visit in chrome and should give the option to translate.

There is an interesting interview with Shale in the Russian  'Beatrice' Magazine with stunning photos. 

http://beatricemagazine.com/shale-wagman/

For the benefit of those with neither the time or patience to translate the interview I will post it hereShale Wagman Beatrice interview.odt

I did this quickly so many apologies for the Capital Letters throughout...

(Google translate is pretty good but refers to Shale as Sheila/Sheil throughout )

Edited by Mandy Kent
added a sentence
  • Like 1