Room 101

taxi4ballet

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely there must be some other news.

I still wouldn't be all that interested, but it would make a change if the news media reported on politics in other countries (well... apart from the EU, the middle east and Russia obviously, we get enough of them too!!!!) but all those other hundreds of countries out there.

• Like 3

I agree it would be good to hear more about the 'civilised' wider world now and again. Even though we have 24hr rolling news, it still only covers a narrow remit. It is strange to think there are so many countries on this planet that we hear absolutely nothing about and I don't mean the secretive, oppressive regimes. Just those that manage to mind and go about their business without causing mass mayhem.

Then again, my heart sinks when I hear about tribes being discovered or new - to us - species of creatures that have somehow managed to survive until now, without our western assistance/interference, diseases, destruction of natural habitat and not forgetting that great invention that everybody must have, whether they want it or not - democracy - I think, please leave them alone.

• Like 2

May I put into Room 101 large plastic bottles of water that make loud cracking noises as the volume goes down.  There was one nearby at Giselle last night. I'm all in favour of people having something to swig to avoid coughing in the theatre, but surely one of the smaller, quieter ones would suffice. Furthermore, in general the bottled water industry has done a great job of brainwashing people into believing they need to carry water with them wherever they go.  It's amazing that the human race has managed to survive three million years until now without the benefit of non-stop hydration..

• Like 3

I have had a morning at home, reading and sorting through some paperwork. All I have heard from next door - the elderly neighbours - is a strange noise I can only describe as a sort of electronic sounding 'doink'. It has been repetitive but not rhythmic or following any sort of sequence.

I wondered if she is playing an online game. But if so, she is not doing very well, no ecstatic cries of bingoooooooo for example.

It stopped for a while, then it started up again. Doink, doink.........doink.....doink, doink,doink. Twenty minute interval. Then doink,doink.........doink. And so on.

I put the radio on to try and block it out. I could still hear it, although the doink may have worked its way into my head by then and I only thought I could still hear it. I turned the radio off and a few seconds later..doink!

What could it be?

I can't wait to go to work now.

I have had a morning at home, reading and sorting through some paperwork. All I have heard from next door - the elderly neighbours - is a strange noise I can only describe as a sort of electronic sounding 'doink'. It has been repetitive but not rhythmic or following any sort of sequence.

I wondered if she is playing an online game. But if so, she is not doing very well, no ecstatic cries of bingoooooooo for example.

It stopped for a while, then it started up again. Doink, doink.........doink.....doink, doink,doink. Twenty minute interval. Then doink,doink.........doink. And so on.

I put the radio on to try and block it out. I could still hear it, although the doink may have worked its way into my head by then and I only thought I could still hear it. I turned the radio off and a few seconds later..doink!

What could it be?

My suggestion is that it's one of those virtual games like tennis you play standing in front of the television with a handset for a racquet.  Presumably every time you hit the ball there would be a doink-like sound.  Very irritating, whatever it is!

• Like 1

What could it be?

Could it be the beeps from an alarm (e.g. smoke alarm) running out of batteries?

• Like 1

Seem to currently be a lot of TV ads for holiday hotels and holiday homes booking sites.  I've been using a lot of these sites recently and suggest they are approached with care.  A lot of the prices listed may appear reasonable but when you click on the link you'll find them significantly dearer, e.g. an airport hotel advertising itself as £78 per night turned out to actually be £119.

Those sites you go on to rent someone's home are even worse, click on the link and you find they aren't actually available at all or worse they appear available and you wait in hope for the owner to respond only to eventually be told no, it isn't.  If they bother to reply at all that is.  Try again a few days later and the same properties are still being advertised as available to rent.

I don't really blame Trip Advisor, Trivago etc. for the wrong information as I imagine they can only list what the hotels supply, but I was very disappointed with the home rentals companies and won't attempt to use them again in future.

Seem to currently be a lot of TV ads for holiday hotels and holiday homes booking sites.  I've been using a lot of these sites recently and suggest they are approached with care.  A lot of the prices listed may appear reasonable but when you click on the link you'll find them significantly dearer, e.g. an airport hotel advertising itself as £78 per night turned out to actually be £119.

Those sites you go on to rent someone's home are even worse, click on the link and you find they aren't actually available at all or worse they appear available and you wait in hope for the owner to respond only to eventually be told no, it isn't.  If they bother to reply at all that is.  Try again a few days later and the same properties are still being advertised as available to rent.

I don't really blame Trip Advisor, Trivago etc. for the wrong information as I imagine they can only list what the hotels supply, but I was very disappointed with the home rentals companies and won't attempt to use them again in future.

I caught a bit of Rip-off Britain a couple of weeks ago.  It featured a couple who had bought a villa in Spain.  I didn't see the whole programme but gather that they had a permanent tenant.  The villa rental was handled by a management company.  The owners were contact by neighbours who said they were concerned because there seemed to be a lot of casual visitors at the property.  The tenant could not be contacted and the management company could not gain access.  It transpires that the tenant had advertised the property on Air BNB!!  It took some time to "evict" him and get the property taken off the Air BNB site.

I think the booking companies charge properties quite a high fee so I would always rather book with the hotel if I can.  I sometimes use the booking sites for ideas though.

Me too, I much prefer direct contact and checkable details. I saw the programme Janet refers to and one about people putting photos and details online of villas available to rent. A real person pretends to be the owner and takes phone calls from interested parties, bookings and deposits, sometimes full payment.

The holidaymakers went on to arrive at the addresses given, only to find that the villas either didn't exist or if they did, the place was already rented or privately owned by people living there, who knew nothing about any holiday rental. It was just a giant scam and no chance of getting any money back.

People who had been conned said part of the reason they had booked, was because the place looked so lovely and the man on the phone sounded so nice and friendly!

Edited by Jacqueline

I can't think why it has been billed as a comedy.  Isn't it supposed to be the same as Gogglebox on Channel 4?  Which I also haven't seen, but is simply "ordinary" people making comments on various points in the news, as opposed to commenting on tv programmes.  

Common Sense and all of those that believe such views are equivalent/preferable to an educated (EDIT or informed) view. 

Well, I think the Brexit vote has shown that it is sometimes very difficult to get an informed view.  

This horrid cold virus that is doing the rounds at the minute.  I am on my second bout this winter and I don't normally get ill.  Currently wrapped up in bed  coughing & spluttering and thinking about all the stuff piling up at work that I really need to do but am not fit enough to go.  Dosed up to the eyeballs with my favourite ecinachea and flu remedies.  I never get ill so I am not a patient patient!!

You have my sympathy, Hudds. I had an awful cold in November and I am trying to ignore the fact that I think I am going down with another because I have a busy week ahead and the last cold kept me in bed for three days - I did say it was awful! Get well soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading this thread again from when taxi4ballet started it off back in October 2012! Great mix of diversity and similarity in our dislikes, recurring suggestions etc. Shows how some things don't improve and remain as annoying as ever. Very entertaining and interesting to review!

This ends now, this ends tonight, this is where this ends, this is where it ends and variations thereof.

Watched a film at the weekend, where this expression was used so many times I wanted to put my foot through the screen to make it happen. It was an action film although not a particularly brainless one.

There is just something about "This ends now" that really gets on my nerves, overuse perhaps. That and people whistling while they browse round shops, as if to say hey, look at me.

Argh, whistling in any enclosed area should be outlawed. There were two different guys whistling in the cafe where I was reading my Sunday papers yesterday. One just whistled the same 4 notes over and over. The other had about 6 different notes. Bah.

• Like 1