Room 101

taxi4ballet

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The number of people allowed to keep their licence and continue driving on our roads, despite having excessive points for repeatedly breaking the law, very often the same offence over and over. Apparently there are around 10,000 of them, including one from West Yorkshire with 62 points and yet still allowed to drive. Each case is considered individually as the excuse that a ban would cause "exceptional hardship" is open to interpretation. It could mean loss of a job or inability to care for a relative or whatever. This risk isn't enough to stop them committing the offence in the first place however. The difference between getting away with yet another offence or a ban depends on the magistrate.

The vast majority do get a ban for repeated offences, very often the same one such as speeding. But it cannot be right that someone is allowed to drive despite having 62 points. How hard can it be to change the law so these people are made to take responsibilty for their behaviour and not allowed to hide behind pathetic excuses.

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 4

I watched this feature on Breakfast News with horror this morning.

Some years ago we had 2 technical experts on site.  They had both been involved with the IT systems relating to the bad Foot and Mouth outbreak some years ago.  One of them was proud that he had 30+ points on his license without being banned because at the time he got them he was in what was considered to be an "essential position" during the outbreak.

Each case is considered individually as the excuse that a ban would cause "exceptional hardship" is open to interpretation. It could mean loss of a job or inability to care for a relative or whatever. This risk isn't enough to stop them committing the offence in the first place however. The difference between getting away with yet another offence or a ban depends on the magistrate.

This reminds me of a dreadful case some years ago.  A man who was way over the alcohol limit ran over a motorcyclist.  He was so out of it, he didn't even realise what he had done, and drove on quite a way with the motorbike and rider trapped under his car.  It was only because other motorists had seen what had happened and were flashing and tooting at him that he eventually stopped.  Needless to say the motorcyclist died.

His lawyer argued that he was on anti depressants because his wife had left him, he would not normally have been drinking, the alcohol effect was magnified by the unaccustomed drugs in his system, and that he needed to keep his car because otherwise he would lose his job.  Guess what the outcome was? 

I am always alert to accidents involving motorbikes, because we have one ourselves.  And if I had been in court that day, I would have stood up and shouted that the poor motorcyclist needed his life in order to do his job.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

This time of year always brings it out worst, but: supermarkets etc. which blithely leave buckets and buckets of bunches of cut daffodils etc. on display without bothering to give them any water.  What happens?  The poor things wilt, and the shop then has to cut their losses and attempt to sell them off cheap.  I mean, how much time and effort does it take to send someone round to put some water in the buckets, for heaven's sake?  If you end up selling the things at 1/4 of original price then you're making quite a loss, not to mention all the plant material which ends up having to be composted unnecessarily.

• Like 2

Driving to work earlier, I was behind a taxi. The driver of this taxi pulled over and up half way on the pavement, on the zigzag lines inches from a zebra crossing. This crossing is just feet from a mini roundabout on a busy and dangerous junction. The lady passenger got out and I thought the taxi will move off now. But no, he sat there, creating a major hazard to pedestrians and making it impossible to get round him. We all had to wait while lady passenger swanned round to the cash machine, apparently finding it all very amusing. Why is there never a traffic warden or policeman lurking when you need one?

I was also behind a double decker school bus for a while. It had an ad in the back window for drivers. £8.00 an hour. That doesn't seem much for such a hugely responsible job.

This reminds me of a dreadful case some years ago.  A man who was way over the alcohol limit ran over a motorcyclist.  He was so out of it, he didn't even realise what he had done, and drove on quite a way with the motorbike and rider trapped under his car.  It was only because other motorists had seen what had happened and were flashing and tooting at him that he eventually stopped.  Needless to say the motorcyclist died.

His lawyer argued that he was on anti depressants because his wife had left him, he would not normally have been drinking, the alcohol effect was magnified by the unaccustomed drugs in his system, and that he needed to keep his car because otherwise he would lose his job.  Guess what the outcome was? 

I am always alert to accidents involving motorbikes, because we have one ourselves.  And if I had been in court that day, I would have stood up and shouted that the poor motorcyclist needed his life in order to do his job.  

Why was his ability to do his job relevant when he was behind the wheel under the influence and killed someone? That ought to be enough to put him in jail, where he couldn't do his job anyway. I thought we were years past the time when professionals could use the "I need a car to do my job" excuse to get off a drunk driving charge.

• Like 1

Sadly not, Melody.  A clever lawyer, an ability to express "sincere remorse" and a sympathetic judge seem to be all you need, The fact that the man was WAY over the drink drive limit didn't seem to be taken into account.

Oh, right, that would make sense from what I see in Waitrose, where that's what they do, but those *are* in bud.  These weren't, and boy do they wilt quickly :(

A friend gave me two bunches they ordered from Waitrose and which were delivered yesterday.  I put them straight in water, but some of them were already wilting when they arrived, and are now dead.  :(

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 1

do you ever wonder if they found your posts on this forum, and they take longer just because of the things you post?  :P

No, because the'd already managed to massively cock things up before I posted. :wacko:

The latest news is that during its in/out/in/out, back-and-forth from the workshop they have now managed to send it back to the store with the wrong charger; and have attempted data recovery (yet again) and made matters worse.

• 2 weeks later...

People who like to think they are X-Factor judges, and who believe that it is perfectly OK to email the performer with a long and detailed list of their shortcomings, and with suggestions of what they need to do to improve.

There are people who do that??? My word, none so strange as folk!

Attack of the nitpickers. People - no names but he lives in this house - who go out of their way to find something to criticize. Yesterday it was washing the car, whereupon he discovered some tiny scratches. Invisible unless you have your nose to them, but hey, he found them. They were duly pointed out to me and suggestions made as to how I might avoid future repetition. The scratches are my fault of course.

Strangely, he didn't notice the 6" scratch on the roof or the slight vertical dent in the boot, which has been there since last summer. Hands up to that one. I reversed into a low bollard not long after we had changed the car. How I do miss those parking censors, not a feature on the newish model.

He has either not noticed these areas of imperfection or he is not sure whether he inflicted them himself. Either way, he has not said anything. I never said anything either. What the eye doesn't see and all that.

I did a bit of tidying up in the garden over the weekend, hardly an overgrown wasteland, just a winter garden coming into spring. I don't want a medal or expect any comment really. But I certainly don't want to be told, patronisingly, I need to keep on top of these things. Same with keeping the interior of the car clean. He carries on like it is awash with litter. There is nothing in that car that shouldn't be, except maybe a tiny speck of dust. There is, I believe, a time to speak and a time to keep it shut. The wisdom is in knowing the difference.

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 8

People who say "My dog's OK" and then "Oh he's never done anything like that before" as it goes for my dog who was on a lead!  Fortunately Chip-dog wasn't hurt and I was more shaken than him.

I am starting to wonder if he gives out some sort of a scent that says to other dogs "Give it a go because I'm ready and waiting" as he has been attacked 3 or 4 times now.  He does get over-excited when he sees balls so perhaps that is what tips the balance.

I liked Jeremy Clarkson's piece in the Sunday Times recently. He was talking about communal lavatories and how people who appear to be civilised, intelligent and capable of holding down responsible jobs are apparently incapable of using a loo and leaving it and the surrounding area in a clean condition.

It is one of my pet peeves that our office loos start the day spotless, courtesy of our long suffering cleaner. Within a short time there are paper towels dropped on the floor, yards of loo roll, water and soap everywhere etc. Not to mention the loos left dirty, even unflushed. They all have working flushes and brushes are provided. Disgusting and totally unecessary to just leave it dirty.

Numerous emails have been sent round asking people to please leave the facilities clean but there seems to be a hardcore who either have very low standards or are just lazy.

How hard can it be to use a loo, flush it clean. Then wash hands without splashing water everywhere and put paper towels in bin provided. As for our building, the women are as bad as the men.

• Like 2

It drives me around the bend too Jacqueline.  As does able-bodied people using disabled toilets because there is a queue for the ordinary toilets.  

(Yes, I know disabled people don't necessarily look disabled but when you hear people saying "I'll nip in here because of the queue...".

• Like 1

Numerous emails have been sent round asking people to please leave the facilities clean but there seems to be a hardcore who either have very low standards or are just lazy.

How hard can it be to use a loo, flush it clean. Then wash hands without splashing water everywhere and put paper towels in bin provided. As for our building, the women are as bad as the men.

Some people fail to realise their mum doesn't work with them in the office....

• Like 3

It drives me around the bend too Jacqueline.  As does able-bodied people using disabled toilets because there is a queue for the ordinary toilets.  

(Yes, I know disabled people don't necessarily look disabled but when you hear people saying "I'll nip in here because of the queue...".

That's also a problem in our carpark with people who are not disabled but use the allocated parking spaces. When asked they say it was raining or those spaces are nearer the building or I wasn't planning to be long or some other nonsense.

Same me me me attitude and stuff everyone else.

• Like 1

Where I used to live, there was a mini-supermarket on the corner, with a mini-car park with maybe half-a-dozen spaces.  I lost count of the times someone with no disabled badge parked in the disabled space.  Had I ever seen them, I might have pointed out that, although it was possible for them to park down the road and walk if necessary (it often wasn't - the other spaces were frequently empty), the fact that they'd selfishly taken the disabled space meant that a disabled driver might actually have to go home again because i) there was insufficient room for them to get out of the car with crutches/a wheelchair/whatever in the other spaces or ii) they were physically incapable of walking the extra distance to the shop.

I get less incensed about people using disabled toilets provided that they're quick and aren't preventing someone who *is* disabled from using it.  And after all, medical conditions which mean you can't queue for long for a toilet can be a form of disability in themselves.

• Like 4

Ye Daily Rag - you know the one - warned yesterday of the biggest mistake we all make after going to the gym. Who is this "we" I wonder. It wasn't the stuffing of chocolate down necks as reward for good deeds on the treadmill. It was failing to give the body sufficient time to rest and recover from exercise.

Today's warning is about the mistakes we make when doing housework. Too obvious to list but nevertheless, a bit of a worry. Best to keep out of harm's way by avoiding both gym and housework. Just go straight to the chocolate.

• Like 7

I get less incensed about people using disabled toilets provided that they're quick and aren't preventing someone who *is* disabled from using it.  And after all, medical conditions which mean you can't queue for long for a toilet can be a form of disability in themselves.

Definitely - and sometimes, you don't even need a medical condition to need the loo in a hurry. I am often relieved (no pun intended...) to see 'Priority for disabled' or similar notices in toilets in different parts of the world. 

definite pet peeve - women "putting their face on" by trowelling on make-up on the train. Get up 5-10 mins earlier and do it home!!

Don't object to them just putting on their lippy, but powder blusher gets flicked over whoever has the misfortune to sit next to them and liquid foundation is the very devil to remove if a spot of it lands on you.  I'm amazed at the number that do it and have had altercations with a couple,  these days I simply move seats, or, more frequently, stand.

Don't object to them just putting on their lippy, but powder blusher gets flicked over whoever has the misfortune to sit next to them and liquid foundation is the very devil to remove if a spot of it lands on you.  I'm amazed at the number that do it and have had altercations with a couple,  these days I simply move seats, or, more frequently, stand.

I've never been able to put makeup on in a moving vehicle!  I would end up looking like a bad copy of a Picasso in his blue period!

• Like 6