Room 101

taxi4ballet

5 hours ago, MAB said:

I always thought they ripen late August, early September.  I always pick wild ones on country walks for my porridge,  Sounds like I'll miss out this year.

Ours will be ready then as usual. Checked our crop today and still some flowers and fruit very immature. Ripening must be very dependent on location. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I REALLY REALLY hate it when you're on a webpage, click on something and then the webpage adjusts itself upwards or downwards underneath the cursor so that what you click on isn't what you intended!  And particularly when it's in my Yahoo! Mail account and I've clicked on Delete but the site insists on sending the message into my Spam folder.  I then have to retrieve it and tell Yahoo! that no, it's not spam, it's important :(

• Like 3

Thanks for the reminder about the blackberries.  Must make a trip down to the country park and see whether they're ready for picking yet.  I have Bramleys sitting ready and waiting in the fridge ...

• Like 1

I can't buy my favourite coffee locally so went on the tram today to Sainsbury's at Waddon Marsh and saw a number of people picking blackberries off the bushes alongside the tracks.  I'd better get cracking.

The obsession for getting up at the crack of dawn to "bag" a sunlounger by carefully arranging your beach towel whilst on holiday abroad.  What is wrong with these people who feel the need to get up at 6am to make sure they get the sunlounger they want in the position they prefer.  Sun was out all day (33 degrees by 11.00am) and there were plenty of sunloungers left for those lazy people (i.e. Me!!) who wished to get up at the civilised time of 8am.  What made me more annoyed was to hear people complaining that they had to get up at 6am to bag the best lounger!  No you don't!!  Get a life!!!!

• Like 3

I never believed the stories till I saw this with my own eyes.  Many years ago in Sicily all the beds were bagged with towels by 8am.  But what was really annoying was that a lot of them were empty until around 4pm!!!  My friend and I used to go out and about and get back to the hotel usually between half 2 and 3 - in the end we just moved some of the towels.  When the towel owners returned they didn't utter a peep!

• Like 2

They say a German speciality but somehow I think the Brits are worse.  I was reading reviews of where we are going on holiday on a forum and there were complaints of people not just reserving sunbeds at the crack of dawn and not using them until lunch but also chairs in the shade so that they could alternate between sun and shade once they were back on the ship. It was funny though as someone sent through a photo of some sunbeds reserved with towels, bag and a book, saying its now 1 o'clock, these beds have been like this for 3 hours. They updated 2 hours later that still no one was on them and then a few hours after that the 'reservers' of the sunloungers were actually sat at the table behind the loungers the whole time, with the beds reserved and people clearly looking for somewhere to sit! It was quite funny because the original photo showed the couple sat at the table - not quite named and shamed but along the lines of! Beats me how people came be so selfish though - reserving beds you are not using is bad enough but reserving multiple seats/loungers is worse.

• Like 2

I agree Colman. Actually it irritates me that I too would plead ignorance - if you aren't actually there on the seat/lounger then your towel/bag, whatever, is not in need of its own seat/lounger whereas I am - but sadly it's best not to antagonise strangers, as we know...

• Like 2

Best not to antagonise strangers I agree.

But when deciding whether to remove towels or not is actually not that easy either. How do you know if the person has been gone a few minutes or just left the towel there for hours? If I go in the pool to cool down I would hardly be happy to arrive back at my sunlounger dripping wet and find my towel gone or my belongings moved.

Those auto-correct tools  again... Yes, it's very clever that my software knows that I love ballet,  but I had wanted my work team to know that I had cleared the content of an important message with a senior colleague called Richard.  Unfortunately, this came out as  'After consulting with Rudolf Nureyev..'  :)

• Like 8

Trying to get out of the Olympic Stadium with some 50,000 other people :(  Took me longer to make it back to the station than the train journey home did!  (And my blasted Oystercard has overcharged me by £3!)

On 8/3/2017 at 15:00, Legseleven said:

I agree Colman. Actually it irritates me that I too would plead ignorance - if you aren't actually there on the seat/lounger then your towel/bag, whatever, is not in need of its own seat/lounger whereas I am - but sadly it's best not to antagonise strangers, as we know...

One day I took the umbrella from a pair of sunloungers which had been empty from 10am to 1pm (when the sun it at it's highest and I needed the shade)  The couple finally made an appearance at 2pm and the male (I cannot call him a gentleman) proceeded to scream at me that he had got up at 6am to get a lounger with an umbrella.  My response was " The you should have sat on your lounger"  It wasn't pleasant - I avoided him for the rest of the holiday.

• Like 2

We were in a very large hotel recently and (along with a couple of hundred other guests & many children) were sitting having breakfast in the huge dining room when the fire alarms went off. Most of us trooped outside, but a few people sat resolutely scoffing their fry-ups oblivious to the evacuation in progress. The waiting staff had to waste time persuading them to get off their backsides and leave.

What kind of idiot ignores a fire alarm?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/07/2017 at 21:37, Jane said:

Ours will be ready then as usual. Checked our crop today and still some flowers and fruit very immature. Ripening must be very dependent on location. 

Our blackberries are ready to pick. Apples are ready to harvest too. 

Software developers who inflict a major software update on you which then knocks out one or more of your other important pieces of software :(  I lost half the Bank Holiday trying to put things right so I could get my email back up and running after a major antivirus upgrade.  GRRRRR!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Magazine inserts.  The Radio Times arrived this morning with six fliers inside the plastic wrapping but outside the magazine - at least I have to assume they're all fliers because one is in a plain sealed envelope - one loose flier inside the magazine, one two-page flier stapled between the pages and, just when I had let my guard down, there stapled in the middle was a 16-page Radio Times holiday brochure featuring "dream destinations".  I only looked at all these in order to count the numbers but I am perfectly capable of sourcing anything I need so I don't look at fliers.  They all go straight in the recycling bin.  What a waste!

Edited by AnneMarriott
missing word
  • Like 4

Those priority seats first past the door on the Tube where there's a big blue sign asking that they be given up to disabled or pregnant people...  Great idea but it just doesn't work, because being next to the door they attract the lazy, pig-ignorant oiks who deliberately crank up their headphones and stare down into their iphones to avoid any possibility of becoming aware of the one-legged 8-months pregnant diabetic about to collapse in a heap in front of them.  Several times recently on my commute I've seen people from the middle seats on the train call up to offer their seats to someone standing right in front of a priority seat occupied by a perfect healthy person. Men of all ages, women, girls in these supposedly 'religious' headscarves - I've seen them all holding onto their seats with no shame whatsoever. Pah!  

• Like 4

(Although of course you can't necessarily tell that they don't have a disability.  And it can be very difficult to spot those signs when you get onto the train - I should know, I've often been trying to find the nearest disabled seat and not been able to spot it!)  But yes, lots of people are miles away - and some deliberately pretend to be, as you say.  I actually saw someone once sitting there and clearly thinking "Oh, that woman's standing on one leg, I wonder why", but not making the connection!  I remember, after I'd had surgery, actually hopping around on my crutches and people ignoring it.  I may accidentally have stomped on someone's foot with my crutch, once or twice :)

OTOH, there are also those kind people who actually go and ask someone to give up their seat for you, too :)

• Like 1

Yes it is difficult to tell sometimes.

last June and July I had a series of fainting fits ( still not fully diagnosed) always when in London ....so guessing air quality comes into it...but after one such attack( at Oxford Circus station whilst changing tube lines)  I couldn't wait to get on the train and sit down and just relieved to get away from the atmosphere at that station .....where once seated I recovered very quickly.

However inspite of my age and because I don't have grey hair or anything I look perfectly fit and usually am!! Am happy to stand or give up a seat when I see someone more ancient or hobbling around ( been there) than myself etc .

But on that evening.... if there hadn't been a seat ....would I have looked like I really needed one on that occasion? I'm not so sure.

I've lost the "oh no!" thread again (if someone can remember what it's called, I'll move this), so will post this here for the time being.  It's not for the squeamish, so I've put it in spoiler tags. You have been warned!

Went out this evening (it had rained earlier) to put out the recycling.  My heart sank as I heard that familiar crunching noise as I put my foot down which tells you that you've just trodden on a snail.  I hurriedly took my foot off the poor thing and put it down elsewhere - only to feel a horrible squishing as I flattened a VERY large slug.  Euuuughhhh!!

22 hours ago, alison said:

I've lost the "oh no!" thread again (if someone can remember what it's called, I'll move this), so will post this here for the time being.  It's not for the squeamish, so I've put it in spoiler tags. You have been warned!

Reveal hidden contents

Went out this evening (it had rained earlier) to put out the recycling.  My heart sank as I heard that familiar crunching noise as I put my foot down which tells you that you've just trodden on a snail.  I hurriedly took my foot off the poor thing and put it down elsewhere - only to feel a horrible squishing as I flattened a VERY large slug.  Euuuughhhh!!

Alison I have a long haired cat who likes to sit outside in the evening but more than once he has come in with one or more attached to his fur, he doesn't seem to notice. 

• Like 1