John Curry

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, alison said:

I was just hunting around on the Picturehouses website when I discovered there are some showings coming up, including some tomorrow evening:

https://www.picturehouses.com/film/the-ice-king

Thanks Alison - tomorrow evening still no good for me. :( But I read that the DVD of this is coming out on 7 May, so I hope that's right since the show times have been so limited (and I suspect it's something I'd like to keep anyway if it includes lots of Curry footage!).

• Like 2

On 02/04/2018 at 22:21, SusanR said:

I was lucky enough to see The Ice King last week. It is well worth seeing. There is a lot of footage & is very moving. Recommended! 

Yes, I was teary (well) before the end.  Possibly a little on the long side, but it did contain quite a bit of skating footage.  I also noticed that it was part of the Storyville stable, so imagine it will turn up on BBC4 or somewhere in the future.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I've just watched the documentary and feel quite overwhelmingly sad.

I idolised John Curry as a skater long before I discovered ballet.  His was an enormous talent and I think his artistry is far more effective than the current penchant for all things pyrotechnical.

His legacy remains in my memory.

• Like 9

My goodness what a fantastic documentary. It was great to see some of his wonderful routines in rehearsal and performance. I particularly liked L'Apres midi du faune. Despite his success he was portrayed as being very melancholy and moody was said several times. It was therefore bittersweet to see him happy at the end of his life.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I've just watched the documentary and feel quite overwhelmingly sad.

I idolised John Curry as a skater long before I discovered ballet.  His was an enormous talent and I think his artistry is far more effective than the current penchant for all things pyrotechnical.

His legacy remains in my memory.

Oh yes and mine too Jan. I can remember him clearly during the European & Olympic's. I was mesmerised by his beautiful balletic style and line. All other skaters, except for a special few, failed to inspire me, as technique alone will never match dance ability and artistry.

• Like 3

I adored watching John Curry as a child and even took up ice skating for a couple of years (didn’t last - too scared of falling!). He was such a beautiful skater and artist and so talented - had he been allowed to follow his inclination he would probably have been a wonderful dancer with a real flair for choreography. I loved the L’Apres-midi d’un Faune too - but then I love the music. However, his take on it was beautiful.

It was also unexpectedly moving and he was clearly a somewhat tortured soul. Found myself verging on tearful at times. Well worth watching and yes, it’s on iPlayer.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

A shame, Alison.  It was special.  Hopefully it will be on the Iplayer.  Worth a squint certainly. 

It's okay, Bruce, I did go and see it in the cinema.  I'd just have liked another opportunity to have a look at it.

• Like 1

I've just realised that we didn't have an existing thread on this: the John Curry discussion was actually split between the Winter Olympics thread and the Grace on Ice thread.  I'll try and pull something together from all of them when it's not way past my bedtime :) 

• 5 months later...

Oops!  Oh well, better late than never :)

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 15:52, Fonty said:

Well, if you are talking about grace on ice, how about this from the history books?  Maybe it looks a bit old fashioned these days, but look at those lines.  He would have made a wonderful ballet dancer. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LpULZwvjcA

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 16:02, Sim said:

I would say he was the first man to really put ballet into figure skating.  How lovely he was.  I remember watching this;  I can't believe it was 42 years ago.  Poor John Curry.  I am so pleased that his influence still extends to the sport long after he left us.  

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 16:42, Fiz said:

John Curry actually wanted to be a ballet dancer but his father refused to allow it.

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 15:27, Jan McNulty said:

Thanks for the heads up about this.  I thought, and still think, that Curry's artistry on ice remains supreme.

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 15:36, Jan McNulty said:

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 15:47, Jan McNulty said:

Having just googled the documentary, I think it was the biography that inspired it.

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 15:58, Mary said:

That clip makes me weep buckets ......thinking of the recent thread on dancers whose performances make you cry-well, this does! for the sheer beauty. A few giggles at the commentary as well, rising to a crescendo of enthusiasm at the end with 'The most beautiful skating I have ever seen!!..' True..it still is...

They should have been all 6s though..........

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 15:59, Sharon said:

Brings back so many lovely memories of being glued to the telly watching him. What a wonderful artist I feel sure he would of been a beautiful dancer if he'd been allowed to do it.....

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 19:19, bridiem said:

I don't remember having seen this before! Wonderful. Thank you so much for posting it. (Why aren't the audience all leaping up out of their seats?! Such polite applause!).

On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 23:01, Jan McNulty said:

I've just come across this feature on how John Curry's legacy has been allowed to go to waste:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/winter-olympics/2018/02/05/britain-let-john-currys-golden-legacy-winter-olympics-go-waste/

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:57, Ian Macmillan said:

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 08:37, Mary said:

There you go!

This is turning into Ice Dance Forum

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 22:15, bridiem said:

Thanks Alison - tomorrow evening still no good for me. :( But I read that the DVD of this is coming out on 7 May, so I hope that's right since the show times have been so limited (and I suspect it's something I'd like to keep anyway if it includes lots of Curry footage!).

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 22:21, SusanR said:

I was lucky enough to see The Ice King last week. It is well worth seeing. There is a lot of footage & is very moving. Recommended! 

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 22:48, alison said:

Yes, I was teary (well) before the end.  Possibly a little on the long side, but it did contain quite a bit of skating footage.  I also noticed that it was part of the Storyville stable, so imagine it will turn up on BBC4 or somewhere in the future.

On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 16:23, Mummykool said:

The DVD can be pre-ordered on Amazon for £9.99.

Release date May 7th 2018

Ha ha Janet I ve just liked a post of yours from back in July thinking it referred to tonight's showing on BBC4 ....also at 10pm! 

Then I saw the date.

Ive done these a few times where an older thread has been re visited a few months back I was liking posts from two years ago!!

• alison changed the title to John Curry film

Well, what a beautiful documentary and so well put together.  I knew very little about his skating company and the work they did was incredible.  Burn and Faun were incredible and then the poignancy at the end where we are learning of Curry's health problems whilst the dancers waltz on.  What a pity there is nothing like that today.

I had forgotten how beautiful his dancing was and I blush that I said it could appear wooden today.  Anything but, he was in a league of his own.   I thought it was excellent how the narrator gave us the whole picture, warts and all, which made him more understandable.  He was a strange mixture of determination and fragility.

I know nothing of Edward Watson the private person so this comparison is professional only but, for me, there are similarities.  The intense focus they bring to their roles yet somehow maintaining a detached elegance which is never cold but not accessible either.  Both have an other world quality.

• Like 6

A lovely film so honest I thought and rather sad and although I saw him for real in London.....still trying to remember which theatre but it wasn't tha Albert Hall.....had forgotten just how beautiful his skating was. I'm pretty sure I saw the Faun Piece back in the 80's as it was so familiar to me from the ballet which seemed to be performed a lot at that time ( often as a precursor to Giselle!!) I remember thinking he caught the music so well but did Anthony Dowell do the choreography for him for this piece? 

• Like 1