ENB Promotions, Joiners and Leavers 2018

This item was on BA:  (Janet - did you get such a release?  Grateful if you could confirm for us).  

According to an e-mail just sent out by English National Ballet, Jeffrey Cirio is joining as Lead Principal. No indication of whether he will continue an affiliation with ABT. "Joining the Company Following his recent guest performances with the Company in Song of the Earth, La Sylphide, and Akram Khan’s Giselle, Jeffrey Cirio, currently Principal at American Ballet Theater, joins English National Ballet as Lead Principal."

Here is the official promotions and new dancers joining ENB for 2018/2019 season:

https://www.ballet.org.uk/blog-detail/promotions-new-dancers-joining-company-2018-19-season/

Promotions within the Company:
Congratulations to our dancers being promoted within the Company:

• James Streeter is promoted to First Soloist
  • Rina Kanehara is promoted to Soloist
  • Henry Dowden, Sarah Kundi and Jia Zhang are promoted to First Artist
  • Fernando Carratalá Coloma is promoted to 4th year Artist of the Company

Joining the Company:
Following his recent guest performances with the Company in Song of the Earth, La Sylphide, and Akram Khan’s Giselle, Jeffrey Cirio, currently Principal at American Ballet Theater, joins English National Ballet as Lead Principal.

From The National Ballet of Canada, Francesco Gabriele Frola and Emma Hawes join the Company as Principal and First Soloist respectively, while remaining dancers of The National Ballet of Canada.

English National Ballet welcomes three Prix de Lausanne prize winners as Artists of the Company this year, Shale Wagman joins from Princess Grace Academy, Miguel Angel Maidana joins from Brussels International Ballet School, and Carolyne Galval joins from Itego in Artes Basileu Franca.

Joining as Artists of the Company from English National Ballet School are Breanna Foad, Josué  Moreno Lagarda, Rentaro Nakaaki, and Maria del Mar Bonet Sans. All four dancers performed in My First Ballet: Cinderella in spring 2017.

Also joining as Artists of the Company are Rebecca Blenkinsopp from the Royal Ballet School, and Ivana Bueno from Academy Princess Grace.

Bidding Farewell
Following her sabbatical last season Laurretta Summerscales leaves English National Ballet, remaining Principal at Bayerisches Staatsballett.

Junior Soloist Guilherme Menezes leaves to join Royal Danish Ballet following his twin brother, Vitor Menezes, who joined last year.

Artist of the Company, Laurent Liotardo, retires at the end of the current season after 15 years with the Company. Liotardo will continue to work as the Company’s Staff Photographer and Filmmaker and will train as a Pilates teacher.

As previously announced Principal Cesar Corrales leaves to join The Royal Ballet.

Embargo now lifted it seems ...  So pleased for Kanehara - a very special talent.  Much to look forward to.  Sorry - hadn't seen others ... 

Promotions and dancers joining the Company

Announcing joiners and promotions for next season

Please note this information is under embargo until 3pm today so please do not share it.

Congratulations to our dancers being promoted within the Company:

Joining the Company

Following his recent guest performances with the Company in Song of the EarthLa Sylphide, and Akram Khan’s GiselleJeffrey Cirio, currently Principal at American Ballet Theater, joins English National Ballet as Lead Principal.

From The National Ballet of Canada, Francesco Gabriele Frola and Emma Hawes join the Company as Principal and First Soloist respectively, while remaining dancers of The National Ballet of Canada.

English National Ballet welcomes three Prix de Lausanne prize winners as Artists of the Company this year, Shale Wagman joins from Princess Grace Academy, Miguel Angel Maidana joins from Brussels International Ballet School, and Carolyne Galval joins from Itego in Artes Basileu Franca.

Joining as Artists of the Company from English National Ballet School are Breanna FoadJosué Moreno LagardaRentaro Nakaaki, and Maria del Mar Bonet Sans. All four dancers performed in My First Ballet: Cinderella in spring 2017.

Also joining as Artists of the Company are Rebecca Blenkinsopp from the Royal Ballet School, and Ivana Bueno from Academy Princess Grace.

Bidding Farewell

Following her sabbatical last season Laurretta Summerscales leaves English National Ballet, remaining Principal at Bayerisches Staatsballett.

Junior Soloist Guilherme Menezes leaves to join Royal Danish Ballet following his twin brother, Vitor Menezes, who joined last year.

Artist of the Company, Laurent Liotardo, retires at the end of the current season after 15 years with the Company. Liotardo will continue to work as the Company’s Staff Photographer and Filmmaker and will train as a Pilates teacher.

As previously announced Principal Cesar Corrales leaves to join The Royal Ballet.

Edited by Bruce Wall

• Jan McNulty changed the title to ENB Promotions, Joiners and Leavers 2018

Laurretta Summerscales has written a lovely little piece on Facebook thanking Wayne Eagling, Tamara Rojo and everyone at ENB.

She is a truly 'home grown' ballerina, having been to the ENB School and starting her career as an Artist in the Company. I can't help but feel that it would have been nice if she  could have been one of those sharing her time between two companies in the way that three ENB dancers are now doing with NBoC.

• Like 8

Given what I heard about her schedule in her first few months at the company, though, I'm wondering whether that would have been a realistic possibility?  What was it, Alice, La Bayadere and something else all within a matter of weeks?

12 minutes ago, alison said:

Given what I heard about her schedule in her first few months at the company, though, I'm wondering whether that would have been a realistic possibility?  What was it, Alice, La Bayadere and something else all within a matter of weeks?

....or within a matter of days. I just had a look at her schedule for the current season.  Here's what she did over 5 days in April:

Wednesday April 18 Onegin (Olga)

Friday April 20 Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (Alice)

Saturday April 21 Spartacus (Phrygia)

Sunday April 22 Anna Karenina (Kitty)

Edited to add a link to her page on the Bayerisches Staatsballett Company website.  Scroll down to find what she's done during the season.

https://www.staatsoper.de/en/biographies/detail-page/summerscales-laurretta.html

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2

Professionally speaking, it must be nice to be based in one place at this point in her career and to have the opportunity to perform so many different ballets over a single season.  It's a shame she is leaving but if I was her mum I'd say her decision is probably the best one she can make for herself!

• Like 1

It is easier for NBOC dancers to share their time as they have four discrete chunks of performances (two weeks in November, three weeks of Nutcracker in December, three weeks in March, three weeks in June) whereas Munich is running pretty much nonstop from September to June. Also, it must be said that Jurgita Dronina hasn't been seen much in Toronto since she joined ENB (two Auroras and two Nuts).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Blossom said:

Professionally speaking, it must be nice to be based in one place at this point in her career and to have the opportunity to perform so many different ballets over a single season.  It's a shame she is leaving but if I was her mum I'd say her decision is probably the best one she can make for herself!

Not to mention the presumed quality of family life one would get from getting to live full-time with one's spouse.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

I may be wrong, but I believe that Capybara was simply expressing some wishful thinking, rather than a view that this is a missed opportunity :)

Exactly. I would like it a lot if it were possible to see Laurretta (and Ksenia Ovsyanick) dancing in the UK.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MellissaHuntsley said:

...and Daniel after winning Emerging!!!. Add to the list Ken S, Alice B, and Tiffany H...

Money only stretches so far I suppose ... not growing on trees :)   I'm sure the mighty Ms. Rojo will find other ways to reward ... Indeed, methinks she already has.  Definitely McCormick is a find!!!

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

I have no idea who Ken S, Alice B or Tiffany H are. Could you please enlighten me?

Ken Saruhashi, Alice Bellini and Tiffany Hedman.

Ken and Tiffany were promoted to Soloist and Junior Soloist respectively last year. Alice joined as an Artist (from the Royal Ballet School) last August and has recently won The People's Choice Award.

I agree that all three of them have been very impressive this season.

P.S. Janet - I sometimes have to go to the company websites when you and others speak of BRB and NB dancers :)

Edited by capybara
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, capybara said:

P.S. Janet - I sometimes have to go to the company websites when you and others speak of BRB and NB dancers :)

After your frequent reminders I always try to put the full names in a post at least once...  And I try to remind other people too.

• Like 1