Ballet Central Appeal - stolen tour vehicle

Dancing2003

Central School of Ballet have just posted this on their Facebook page:

Appeal for help from the public.

Ballet Central’s tour vehicle was stolen from secure premises in Central London on Tuesday morning. We are appealing for help to find over 100 unique hand-made costumes which were especially designed and created for the 2018 tour. Other stolen items include sound, light and dance equipment.

The tour will go ahead as planned but the return of the costumes would be an enormous help. The Metropolitan Police have been informed.

Please get in touch directly with Central School of Ballet if you have any information on 020 7837 6332.

Such dreadful news so close to the tour.

If you can share in case anyone hears anything of use in the ballet community I'm sure that'll be appreciated.

The staff and students all work so hard to create what is invariably a highlight of my ballet-going year, so I'm sure everyone on the forum will echo my love and warmest wishes to everyone at Central School, and all the very best of luck getting everything ready for the tour in what must be now very difficult circumstances.

• Like 4

They have set up a Just Giving appeal for donations to replace the costumes.

There's an article on the ITV news website just a few minutes ago and I believe it will be broadcast on the tv news later.

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, taxi4ballet said:

They have set up a Just Giving appeal for donations to replace the costumes.

There's an article on the ITV news website just a few minutes ago and I believe it will be broadcast on the tv news later.

I'v just seen that. The show will go on but the cost to replace the lost items is valued at £25k the JustGiving page has just opened and they have raised £51 in a matter of minutes.

Good Luck to all the 3yr pupils on their tour. 

PS Update, funds are beginning to roll in. It will be one challenge to raise the funds but another one to try  and source the replacement items. many were handmade bespoke costumes. I hope all works out for them

Edited by balletbean
Update
  • Like 2

I was thinking the same thing Lisa. Hopefully the thieves will give themselves away by attempting to sell the costumes to someone who knows what they are. Fingers crossed they are returned to the rightful owners soon.

• Like 1

But how was it stolen from a secure premises? It almost seems as if someone was in the know about it!! 

Ballet costumes have a particularly niche market I would have thought so not sure if they would have been that useful.

Was the van quite new? Could be that it's just the van itself which was the target....perhaps they will "dump" the costumes somewhere .....hopefully undamaged. So sorry for the students. Only good bit is that the extra publicity may get more people going to see them!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LinMM said:

But how was it stolen from a secure premises? It almost seems as if someone was in the know about it!! 

Ballet costumes have a particularly niche market I would have thought so not sure if they would have been that useful.

Was the van quite new? Could be that it's just the van itself which was the target....perhaps they will "dump" the costumes somewhere .....hopefully undamaged. So sorry for the students. Only good bit is that the extra publicity may get more people going to see them!!

It's probably the van that was the target. It was a 2014 plate, so not massively old. Apparently it was clearly marked up with rental company decals. As I understand it thieves often go for rental cars/vans as the companies are more likely to write it off on their corporate insurance than go to a great deal of trouble trying to find it.

I'm presuming the flight cases are worth something too, so sadly I wonder if the costumes will be disposed of and the flight cases and van sold on.

• Like 2