ROH Spring Gala 30th May

I don't think I've seen this announced elsewhere, but here's what the Friends newsletter has to say:

"Spring Gala: Wednesday 30 May 2018

"This very special, one off event will feature a glittering line up of Royal Ballet Principals and singers including Bryan Hymel and Kristine Opolais, led by Antonio Pappano and Koen Kessels. We will send you more information on how you can secure your tickets in January, but for now please save the date!"

That's all I have - doesn't appear to be on the ROH website yet.

Mods: please delete if it's been covered elsewhere.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I've scanned the relevant page of the leaflet sent to 'higher level' Friends and attempted to attach it to this post.  Hope it works.

It gives a little more information on the opera content but very little about the ballet content, other than the news of world premières from 'internationally renowned choreographers'.

Edited to add that the leaflet contains a typo.  The Gala takes place on Wednesday 30 May (not Thursday as stated in the leaflet)

Spring Gala leaflet.GIF

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Carol said:

Thanks, Bluebird.

Is there any priced seating plan available?

I have endeavoured to find one on ROH site to no avail.

Carol

There's a list of prices but no seating plan. I was told that they were trying to make it similar to the Winter season price chart.  I got the impression that the prices of the non-premium tickets will be similar to the prices for regular opera performances.

Edited to add that I'd list the prices but I don't currently know where the leaflet is ( I did the scanning of the page above a few days ago). Maybe someone who still has their leaflet could list them?

Edited again.  Found it! Sorry about the quality.  In order to be able to attach it here I had to reduce the quality of the image.

Spring Gala prices.GIF

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

...and a few more: I wonder who'll be doing the Dance of the Blessed Spirits.

"The Royal Ballet will showcase the glittering talents of the full Company, joined by some very special guest artists for this exclusively commissioned evening. Former Royal Ballet First Artist Leanne Cope and former New York City Ballet principal dancer and Tony Award-nominee Robert Fairchild perform an excerpt from Christopher Wheeldon’s award-winning An American in Paris. There is also the unique opportunity to see Lauren Cuthbertson and Alexander Jones (Zurich Ballet) in Christian Spuck’s brilliant parody of the ballet genre, Le Grand Pas de Deux. Other highlights include Ashton’s Dance of the Blessed Spirits, McGregor’s Limen, MacMillan’s Winter Dreams, a preview of The Unknown Soldier by Alastair Marriott, which has its world premiere on our stage this autumn, plus the spectacular finale of Balanchine’s Symphony in C. Emmanuel Plasson conducts the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House."

• Like 2

The ROH website now has casting details.  Lauren Cuthbertson is replaced by Elisa Badenes and casting is given for the other items.  I've pasted the details below:

"Royal Ballet First Artist Leanne Cope and former New York City Ballet principal dancer and Tony Award-nominee Robert Fairchild perform an excerpt from Christopher Wheeldon’s award-winning An American in Paris. There is also the unique opportunity to see Elisa Badenes (Stuttgart Ballet) and Alexander Jones (Zurich Ballet) in Christian Spuck’s brilliant parody of the ballet genre, Le Grand Pas de Deux. Other highlights include Ashton’s Dance of the Blessed Spirits with Vadim Muntagirov, McGregor’s Limen with Sarah Lamb and Ryoichi Hirano, MacMillan’s Winter Dreams with Marianela Nuñez and Thiago Soares, a preview of The Unknown Soldier by Alastair Marriott, which has its world premiere on our stage this autumn and features Francesca Hayward and Matthew Ball, Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui’s unique take on The Nutcracker with Natalia Osipova and guest artist Jason Kittelberger, plus the spectacular finale of Balanchine’s Symphony in C. Emmanuel Plasson conducts the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House."

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/spring-gala

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Bluebird said:

Lauren Cuthbertson is replaced by Elisa Badenes and casting is given for the other items. 

Yes, I expected that bit of casting as well.

Wonder when they'll announce Cuthbertson's replacement for Saturday :(

Goodness, I wish I could get up for this but the timing (and the ticket prices!) don’t work for me. A great line up. I was fortunate enough some time ago to watch Dowell rehearsing Muntagirov in “Blessed Spirits” in one of the Ashton Masterclasses and it suits him down to the ground (also fascinating to watch Dowell coaching him).

It looks like it should be an interesting evening all round and I look forward to reading the reviews on here! 

• Like 2

Yes, I bought a good, cheap standing ticket. ROH used not to sell standing places for galas but they usually do now. You only pay the really extra high prices if you want the full gala experience including the reception/dinner.

Edited by MargaretN7
Added comment.
  • Like 1

I don’t suppose anyone has any insight into running order for tonight? Hoping for a miracle whereby everything I particularly want to see is in the first half.  Otherwise pondering the return of my ticket...

1 hour ago, Lindsay said:

I don’t suppose anyone has any insight into running order for tonight? Hoping for a miracle whereby everything I particularly want to see is in the first half. 

Not a hope, Lindsay!

I remember a Kirov Opera/Kirov Ballet Gala at the ROH many years ago which managed to cram everything I was less keen to see or hear into an excessively long first half. I only just managed to get through it. Then, horror of horrors, the film crews which always seem to be hovering at Russian ventures of this kind, caught me in the first interval with the expectation that I would be wildly enthusiastic. I had to get out of that jam by extolling the virtues of the dance extracts we were about to see - hours later as it proved because, like Symphony in C tonight, they saved the best to last.

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

Well I have my wish - Choe/Campbell to dance Voices of Spring 😍

How brilliant they are in it too.  They danced wonderfully last year in the Ann Maguire Gala in Leeds on the dreadful raked stage of the Grand!  So jealous now...

• Like 1