World Ballet Day 2017 discussion

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I heard Oscar name-checked! The Ballet Master & repetiteur are very tough with those men - the stamina they have to have, as well as the mental toughness, is extraordinary.

I love love love watching Maestro Akimov. Such a beautiful musical dancer, even as a teacher.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, John Mallinson said:

How did he do that?

I have an iPhone and a Samsung smart TV and I use the Samsung TV Cast app, which is great for detecting live video content from a web page of your choice and sending it to your TV.  Once it's started playing on the TV you can navigate away from it on your phone.

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

RB asking people to send in their pics of them dancing.  Unbelievable.  We are not all Selfie addicts or narcissists.

Was it last year or the year before we had the request for grand jetés?  That was rather fun.

If you don't want to take part, then don't.  No-one is forcing you to.  And if you can't manage a minute or two of watching people making the most of what the day is actually about, then go and make a cup of tea or something.

• Like 9

I really enjoyed the lengthy video of the Bolshoi Academy's first year classes - Most YouTube videos of younger Russian students (particularly at Vaganova) are of annual exams, so you don't usually get to see so much of the teachers' corrections... Of course almost all the students have great extensions, but it was very refreshing (though not surprising) to see such strong focus on placement and port de bras, rather than tricks. And no pointe shoes in sight - Actually I'm not sure if the first year girls at Bolshoi do any pointe work in their first month at the Academy.

Interesting that many of the students plan to be principals and millionaires by the time they are 20...

Edited by Yaffa
for clarity
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Yaffa said:

I really enjoyed the lengthy video of the Bolshoi Academy's first year classes - Most YouTube videos of younger Russian students (particularly at Vaganova) are of annual exams, so you don't usually get to see so much of the teachers' corrections... Of course almost all the students have great extensions, but it was very refreshing (though not surprising) to see such strong focus on placement and port de bras, rather than tricks. And no pointe shoes in sight - Actually I'm not sure if the first year girls at Bolshoi do any pointe work in their first month at the Academy.

I was interested to see the young boys doing barre work between the barre and wall.  A good way of working on alignment, methinks.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sim said:

Love it....class to California Girls!

We've had Waltzing Matilda and Land of Hope and Glory too now - anyone picked up on the Canadians and the Bolshoi being so honoured yet?  (The latter might have been covered by the burst of Tchaikovsky I guess.)

• Like 3

I was surprised to hear Kevin O'Hare say that the majority of the company had come through either White Lodge or Upper School at some point.  Maybe it is the "some point" that are the key words as I thought that few ever went through from WL to US and onto the company.  Maybe they have been there for year or two and trained elsewhere before coming back. 

I don't know how this pianist changes tunes so often- he's incredible! His mind must work exceedingly quickly!!

I can never take my eyes off Sarah Lamb when she's in class! Though she seemed to only pop in for 10 minutes!

Edited by Rachelm