English National Ballet: Swan Lake (in the round), Royal Albert Hall, June 2016

Just got back from Swan Lake in the round and I was enchanted. I was a bit sceptical from the clips I had seen, whether I would like it or not, but I am tempted to go again. Alina was strong and beautiful, Osiel's jumps tore up the stage, but the 60 members of the corps were the stars, the patterns they made were unbelievable. There are some tickets still available, do go if you can.

Even better, I was waiting for a taxi to go to Victoria to get the red eye coach home, and Irek Mukhamedov came out of the door, and he signed my pointe shoes! He was so humble, he said, 'I can't, I didn't do anything', but he kindly signed them anyway.

If you do get a chance to go, go in at Door 1, they have a black and a white swan tutu on stands there, lovely to see them so close up.

• Like 12

Thanks for the tip Cavycapers, I'm going tomorrow, I'll aim for Door 1. It's my first visit to the RAH for many many years and I aim to be early for a look around, anything else to look out for before the performance?

• Like 2

Isn't Door 1 the Stage Door?  I didn't think the public were allowed in that way.  (Bangorballetboy may know more about this than I do)

Door 1 used to be the stage door, but they renumbered the doors when the new south porch was added.  The south porch is now door 12, the stage door is no longer numbered and the old door 2 became door 1 (and so on and so on).

Patrons should still be able to access door 1 from inside the building to see the tutus so it doesn't really matter which door one uses to enter the building.

Very surprised at the lack of reviews here, are people saving their pennies for the Bolshoi perhaps or maybe Japan? I was at the first performance with Alina and, a new name for me, Osiel Gouneo, What a powerful figure he makes pounding around the vast spaces of the arena, very impressive. It did seem to take a little while for Alina and Osiel to become comfortable with each other but by Act 4 they were in sync and she was brilliant. Alina apart the stars for me where the swans. Goodness knows how many hours they have been drilled but it was pretty much perfection, dancing as one, dead straight lines, perfect unison. Particularly the lake scenes, with dry ice covering the floor, beautiful lighting and all these ladies gliding around, fantastic. The end has been changed so I won't spoil it for any newbies, but it brought the house down, huge ovation. A word for the orchestra too. How Gavin managed to conduct facing the orchestra and his back to the dancers, he must have eyes in the back of his head because there didn't appear to be any mirrors, but he did and the orchestra played wonderfully.

• Like 5

Sorry cannot comment on performances as I went to the last dress rehearsal and there is a policy not to revue rehearsals ....but suffice to say that well worth going to in its own right as a sort of grand spectacle though whether it's an arena to truly connect with the dancers Performances am not sure. I think enjoy it as it comes and orchestra is fantastic!

• Like 1

The end has been changed so I won't spoil it for any newbies, but it brought the house down, huge ovation.

SPD444, do you mean that the ending of this production has been changed, or that the ending is not what you're used to seeing in more conventional productions?

It's perhaps not surprising that there haven't been many reviews so far - there has been a lot of competition in London in the last few days.

SPD444, do you mean that the ending of this production has been changed, or that the ending is not what you're used to seeing in more conventional productions?

It's perhaps not surprising that there haven't been many reviews so far - there has been a lot of competition in London in the last few days.

Yes, its not what I am used to is more accurate, thanks Alison.

The hall was full on Wednesday so I thought there may be a few balletco's their

Very surprised at the lack of reviews here, are people saving their pennies for the Bolshoi perhaps or maybe Japan? 

Maybe it is also a case of there being only so many Swan Lakes that one can 'take'.  I am going though and am especially looking forward to Shiori Kase's 'in the round' debut this coming Thursday matinee..

• Like 1

Oh-my-gosh, Swan Lake in-the-round was incredible. I went expecting to like this a lot but I really really loved it.

I’ll get the one slight negative (more of a reduced positive) out of the way first and that was that the production itself lessened the story telling compared to the other UK productions I have seen. Still a much better story than the Bolshoi version for example but not as good as the RB or the regular ENB versions. Not a big issue though.

Act 1 was good, a fairly regular Swan Lake act 1, except when scanning the cast sheet I hadn’t seen the Pas de Trois listed and the SL P de T is one of my favourite things so I was a bit worried. What was listed was a Pas de Douze and it turns out this was a Pas de Trois times four. Outside I kept calm but inside I was jumping for joy, it was fabulous.

Act 2. Those Swan Maidens, absolutely perfect, so well drilled and aligned. Glorious. I have a bit of an obsession in Swan Lake, Giselle and La Bayadère to count the white tutu’d dancers to see how many are on stage at once and with 60 it was extra hard – but I did it.

When Odette appeared I was a bit sad because I had been expecting for months that I would be seeing Tamara Rojo and anyone else was bound to be a disappointment. It took me about half Act 2 to warm to Erina Takahashi but then her gentle floating dancing charmed me and I loved her.

Act 3. The National dances were very nice and the Neapolitan Dance was superb with Crystal Costa and Fernando Bufala.

The Black Swan Pas de Deux, so this is my very favourite thing in all of ballet. And this was one was brilliant. Takahashi and Hernandez burned up the stage. Takashi’s solo was truly excellent, definitely the best thing of the night and massive and long applause and she looked really happy to be receiving the applause (by this time I had forgotten all about missing Tamara Rojo). Takahashi's Odile was everything you could want. The fouettes were interesting in that after the first few where she paused facing in the same direction she slowly rotated the pause point so that eventually she had paused facing in a full circle (hope that makes sense!). Quite clever I thought.

Act 4. I am running out of superlatives, so I’ll just say it was very good though not as emotional as a regular Swan Lake act 4.

I was in the stalls last night and now I’m really looking forward to next weekend when I’ll be in the circle to get a better view of the Swans.

• Like 7

Maybe it is also a case of there being only so many Swan Lakes that one can 'take'.  I am going though and am especially looking forward to Shiori Kase's 'in the round' debut this coming Thursday matinee..

There was a dancer in the Pas de Trois/Douze and as one of the princesses who I thought was a joy to watch. Just putting a name to a face on the ENB website and it turns out to be Shiori Kase.

• Like 3

There was a dancer in the Pas de Trois/Douze and as one of the princesses who I thought was a joy to watch. Just putting a name to a face on the ENB website and it turns out to be Shiori Kase.

Now, there's a surprise ;)

• Like 2

We really enjoyed watching it on Saturday from the Circle - we had a marvellous aerial view of the swan formations for the lake scenes! Perfect first Swan Lake for my daughters. The Black Swan pas de deux was the definite highlight - truly amazing - and the orchestra, too. Overall I found it less emotionally charged and more of a 'show' here in the round than in the more traditional theatre-stage format, except for the final scenes which I confess did bring a tear to my eye! Excellent performance, and in parts, exquisite. Would recommend.

• Like 4

Yes I thought she stood out at the rehearsal too.....she has such a light airy quality.

Exactly the way I would describe her LinMM. I love powerhouse and bravura dancing but there is a lot to be said for delicate and graceful dancing. 

Now, there's a surprise ;)

I was actually a bit surprised when it turned out to be Shiori. I've seen her name mentioned a few times on this forum but I only see ENB a couple of times a year so hadn't remembered seeing her before - though I probably have. 

I am sorry I won't be seeing the SL in the round production this time around.  I have seen it several times before, though, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  You do need to sit back a bit, unless you like examining the make-up on the  corps, and seeing the occasional bead of sweat on their brows.  Which means that the principals can seem rather a long way away.

But the sheer spectacle when all those swans come pouring out from the wings, and seem to keep coming, and coming, and coming...loved it.  One of those theatrical moments that really works.  For me, anyway. 

• Like 5

I saw Swan Lake in the round last night and loved it. I hadn't been for years and as you say Fonty, the way they keep coming out onto the stage is so breathtaking. You can't believe that more are running on! I thought Osiel Gouneo was magnificent. His jumps were high, his smile lit up the auditorium and he was very caring and delicate with his Swan Queen. I have to say that I was dissapointed with Alina, she didn't do much for me, came off pointe many times and just didn't seem to be that present on stage - something I've never witnessed from her. Perhaps performing in the round doesn't suit her...

• Like 1

Does anyone know if Rojo will be dancing on Wednesday evening? I've heard that she was injured last week and am hoping she has recovered for her show on Wednesday! 

I have tickets for tonight so called ENB and was told that Rojo will be performing tonight and Saturday eve

• Like 1

What are the current security regulations for entering the RAH?  I will be going straight there tomorrow and will have a small rucksack and a handbag.  Is there a cloakroom?

Thanks

No bag searches today but they do have them some days. There are cloakrooms but some are not always open. Best to ask an usher for directions.

• Like 1

A lovely debut from Shiori Kase this afternoon.

This was the first time I have sat right round the side at the RAH and one is significantly nearer the action there, albeit spending rather a lot of time looking up the swans' tutus.

• Like 1

I went last night and saw Tamara Rojo. Utterly, utterly stunning on several counts. Not to see this in the round but on an ordinary stage will forever seem second class.

I was sat in the Choir which provides a marvelous view with just a little part of the stage cut off. I didn't feel I missed anything and was also fascinated to see the orchestra at close quarters. The conductor has a screen by his podium but he also turns round when the principals are dancing. I was beguiled at times watching how this works.

I've seen this production several times over the years and always loved it. However, I think the quality just gets better and better. I've always been lucky to see top class principals (Edur/Oakes) and then Vadim's very first performance. Oh my goodness, that was sheer luck.  Last night, I felt Tamara hit extraordinary heights in technique and I've seen her dance many times.  Her fouettes were multiple, totally on the spot and yet also to 3 sides of the auditorium. As for Act 4, I just LOVE this version. The music, the 60 swans, the drama. Real hairs on the back stuff. 

The swans were amazing - so well rehearsed and the effect is stunning. GO, GO, GO if you can 

• Like 5

I saw Swan Lake in the round last night and loved it. I hadn't been for years and as you say Fonty, the way they keep coming out onto the stage is so breathtaking. You can't believe that more are running on! I thought Osiel Gouneo was magnificent. His jumps were high, his smile lit up the auditorium and he was very caring and delicate with his Swan Queen. I have to say that I was dissapointed with Alina, she didn't do much for me, came off pointe many times and just didn't seem to be that present on stage - something I've never witnessed from her. Perhaps performing in the round doesn't suit her...

It is rather painful for me to write this, but something was off with Alina on Saturday as well. 

In June 2015, I saw her in La Bayadere at American Ballet Theater, and she went off point with a noticeable noise.  NY audience, who had come to expect only perfection from Alina, seemed quite surprised. 

One year later, I went to her Swan Lake at RAH, hoping that what I had seen in NY was an isolated incident.  Unfortunately, her black swan was sometimes less than perfect.  Her grace, her beautiful arm movement, and her strong leg extension were all there.  But overall, it was not what I had expected from her.  With other Odette/Odile dancers, I would have come home perfectly satisfied with what I saw.  However, with Alina, I have been scratching my head since last Saturday as to what was exactly off, and why I could not indulge in her magic as I used to do.

I have always loved her performances since she was 19.  I hope she will work another magic on me next time.

• Like 3

One thing I loved is when Rothbart runs through the 60 swans, and they scatter around him, and appear to take flight, as a flock would that was disturbed. It also adds to the drama when Siegfried is trying to find Odette, beacuse there are 60 others who look just like her (apart from her little crown), although it is always clear which one she is.

Funnily enough, it also gave me rather a feeling of 'girl power'.

The only thing I don't like is Rothbart's frantic running around with a stick in each hand. There is no need for this to provide drama!

• Like 1

I went last night and saw Tamara Rojo. Utterly, utterly stunning on several counts. Not to see this in the round but on an ordinary stage will forever seem second class.

I was sat in the Choir which provides a marvelous view with just a little part of the stage cut off. I didn't feel I missed anything and was also fascinated to see the orchestra at close quarters. The conductor has a screen by his podium but he also turns round when the principals are dancing. I was beguiled at times watching how this works.

I've seen this production several times over the years and always loved it. However, I think the quality just gets better and better. I've always been lucky to see top class principals (Edur/Oakes) and then Vadim's very first performance. Oh my goodness, that was sheer luck.  Last night, I felt Tamara hit extraordinary heights in technique and I've seen her dance many times.  Her fouettes were multiple, totally on the spot and yet also to 3 sides of the auditorium. As for Act 4, I just LOVE this version. The music, the 60 swans, the drama. Real hairs on the back stuff. 

The swans were amazing - so well rehearsed and the effect is stunning. GO, GO, GO if you can 

Just checked the RAH, there are 8 tickets for tonight’s performance and everything else is sold out… very glad for ENB but I was thinking of going back Sunday…