Leather ballet shoes - oh no!!!!!!!

Dance*is*life

I don't know if this has ever happened to anyone.  Two of my students suddenly realised that they were wearing leather ballet shoes -  you mean animals were killed so that I could have leather ballet shoes??? - was their appalled reaction.   I'd honestly never thought of it like that and didn't know how to answer them.  In the end I told them that it was probably artificial leather like the furniture, but quite honestly I have no idea.  I mean we've all stopped wearing fur coats, but what about "leather" handbags and shoes?

Your young dancers might be reassured by knowing that the leather will be a by-product of the food industry, so the animals will not have been killed specifically for the making of their shoes. You can get vegan ballet shoes I think, not sure who makes them though!

• Like 4

They call it imitation leather I think!   They wear trainers for school (there's no required school shoe here) and probably synthetic boots for the few rainy days.  That's a good point about the leather being a by-product of the food industry - I didn't ask if they were vegetarian or vegan.  I usually insist on leather shoes, rather than canvas, but I suppose if they continue to make a fuss, I will have to allow them to wear canvas.  I just found it surprising, as nobody has ever queried wearing leather shoes before!

Hi everyone, I administer the Leather Working Group (www.leatherworkinggroup.com), an environmental stewardship group with members from a vast number of well known brands around the world.  I can confirm that leather is a bi-product of the food industry and you can't call fake leather, leather - so if it's called a leather ballet shoe then it is made of leather. :)  

• Like 1

Just to confirm, grishko do make vegan pointe shoes. I have a friend who's vegan and she wears special order grishko vegan shoes.

Took an awful long time to get to the UK, but it's what's important to her so worth the wait.

• Like 2

I can't imagine having synthetic "leather" ballet shoes: if they're like ordinary synthetic shoes I imagine they would just stretch and never resume their original shape, which I'd have thought would make them horrible to dance in.

And yes, leather is a byproduct of the food industry, so no, animals aren't being killed just so people can have shoes. What on earth would you do with all the waste hides if they weren't made into leather? (and do the girls routinely avoid leather ordinary shoes as well?)

• Like 2

I have a friend whose daughter became a vegetarian after watching "Babe". Her mother agreed as she didn't much care for meat herself but the one thing at which she drew the line was her daughter wearing synthetic leather shoes, saying that they did not support young feet in the same way. Her daughter accepted this although she was not happy about it. I had a "meat is an animal" moment when I was three and refused to eat it for a while to my mother's horror.

• Like 1

Grisko sell a 'Vegan' shoe if they are that concerned - canvas shoes with no use of suede.  They also stock vegan pointe shoes.  Sorry just realised this was mentioned above - let them wear satin!

We all have different views - no right or wrong.

Edited by BankruptMum
  • Like 1

I usually insist on leather shoes, rather than canvas, but I suppose if they continue to make a fuss, I will have to allow them to wear canvas. 

Can I be nosy and ask why you prefer leather?

I've only worn leather ballet shoes once. I've no idea why I bought them but I wore them on the first day of a summer school and not only was I the only one in leather shoes but they left a distinct half circle on the floor when we did ronds de jambe a terre. I was horrified, and conviced I'd ruined my chance of getting into this school after this double gaffe!

Can I be nosy and ask why you prefer leather?

I've only worn leather ballet shoes once. I've no idea why I bought them but I wore them on the first day of a summer school and not only was I the only one in leather shoes but they left a distinct half circle on the floor when we did ronds de jambe a terre. I was horrified, and conviced I'd ruined my chance of getting into this school after this double gaffe!

I personally hate wearing leather ballet shoes, they always seem to stick to the floor rather than gliding like canvas ones do! They're not very breathable either, I find that they make my feet too warm!
  • Like 1

I've gone off leather ones too as they always seem to be made narrower than canvas ones.

There's a vegan shoe shop here in Brighton in either Bond Street or Upper Gardner street ( next to each other) probably don't do ballet shoes though will,have to go in and find out!!