RIP David Bowie

Jan McNulty

Mark Almond wrote on twitter:

https://twitter.com/MarcAlmond/with_replies

"It's not often I truly cry at the loss of an artist but I'm devastated. He meant so much. Goodbye David Bowie and our youth. We loved you. X"

That just about sums it up for me really. I saw him live once as a solo artist supporting, amongst others, Humble Pie. He had a mane of long red ringlets and hadn't yet released Space Oddity. He was my sister's absolute favourite and we used some of his music at her funeral.

The BBC Breakfast report really summed him up as a man who was constantly reinventing himself and his music. He was a true innovator of music in the 20th century and beyond.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35278872

http://news.sky.com/story/1620422/david-bowie-dies-after-18-month-cancer-battle

• Like 10

I cried reading the news to my eldest daughter because she didn't believe it so I went to the BBC website to see if it was true. We both ended up crying and she had to redo her makeup for work. She is wearing striped eyebrows in his honour and I am wearing acid green eyeshadow and might put some stars and stripes on my face too plus heavy eyeliner if I can find one I don't react to badly in my makeup bag. Does anyone here think David Bowie might be responsible for making makeup for men more acceptable?

• Like 2

Bowie is part of the soundtrack to my life. Rebel Rebel reminds me of discos in Spain in a wonderful summer of 1974, his Young Americans work with Lennon of a lovely period in NYC, loads of other songs so meaningful for me in my teens and twenties. I am full of admiration how he managed to keep his illness so private in this day of social media. This is why it is so shocking to hear of his early demise.

RIP David Bowie, and may he forever sing with the angels.

• Like 9

I also feel incredibly sad at this news. It was Janet's post that alerted me. I always loved David Bowie's music, particularly Ashes to Ashes and his Let's Dance period. He was a truly genuine talent, original, endlessly creative, innovative and very much his own person. From the comments on this morning's news, he was obviously held in huge regard and affection and deservedly so. 

I agree with Sim's comment above and am also full of admiration that he managed to keep himself and his final illness so private, in this age of everything apparently being up for public consumption. I was shocked to hear the terribly sad news of his death, but glad to hear that he at least died peacefully, in his sleep. RIP David Bowie.

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 6

I too was very shocked to hear this news this morning as I had no idea he was ill and he only released a new album I think just last week?

There are certain people like Bowie whose music and what he represented is so much part of ones youth that it really does feel like some personal loss.

I was introduced to Bowie by a friend who was absolutely mad about him and cut her hair to look like him and tried to dress like him! Totally mad!! But it does bring back so many memories of playing his music and that whole era where anything felt possible and especially as for me I had a late "adolescence" all about that time and really started coming out my shell!

Difficult to believe such an icon is no more.

Wishes with his friends and family.

• Like 4

Very sad news indeed, The world has lost another of its true and great artists!! Lovely to see all the tributes to him on social media sites though , just goes to show how many lives his music touched!! Thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time, RIP Starman.

• Like 5

like most posters here, I too had no idea that he was  ill so the news  of his death was all the more shocking.  I spent most of yesterday glued to the TV, in tears watching all the extraordinary tributes to the man.. It is these more than anything else that reveal the true breadth of Bowie's genius; something about him brought out words that were dignified, intelligent, affectionate and unmistakeably heart-felt,  no matter what the age or education of the speaker. They were unforgettable, and deserve a a documentary of their own.

A unique, never-to-be=forgotten artist; we were priviledged to have him..

• Like 5

Agree with everyone`s sentiments. My sister,almost 9 years older than me,so born in 1959,was a huge fan as a teenager and in her twenties. So naturally, I grew up listening to his music too. My favourite is Suffragette City. Yet another great has gone, Lemmy of Motorhead just recently too. On a personal level I am dreading it when Paul McCartney eventually dies. I know for a fact I will be in bits on that day.

• Like 2

He used to come to the City where I lived quite often, as that's where Mick Ronson lived at the time, I never got to meet him personally but know one or two who did, and he was  aparantly a top bloke. I think him and Mick complemented each other, so sad that neither of them are here now, both probably together somewhere near Mars maybe.

Edited by Vonrothbart
  • Like 2

I picked up the SE London local paper earlier today, which has a lot of coverage since Bowie's "patch" falls well within its circulation area.  I was going to share an interesting article about people's memories of him - until I discovered just how much coverage there is!  Here's the search link, if you want to start browsing:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/search/?search=bowie

(Make sure you have PLENTY of time!)

And some from the local branch of the Kentish Times:

http://www.bromleytimes.co.uk/home/search?submitted=true&action=search&siteId=2.3061&freeText=david+bowie&sort=publishedDate_descending&slotSearch=true

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody just posted a link on their Facebook page of a year 2000 interview Bowie gave with Jeremy Paxman,where he says he is an alcoholic,and taking just one drink or taking any drugs would destroy his good relationship that he had with his friends and family. I never knew Bowie was an alcoholic. Fair play to him for choosing to be abstinent for the sake of not only himself ,but those he loved and cared for too.