Two Pigeons photos

Lovely photos!! Though I'm seeing Stix Brunell in this ..unfortunately none of her .....but I may also go for a return to the Jan 20th performance to see Choe cast especially if osipova is also back in the Rhapsody piece.

I do hope they put out a DVD.

Well, I was going to wait for the cinema relay, but following a rather bad day dealing with some sad news, these photos convinced me to succumb and buy a ticket to a live performance. My poor groaning credit card.... but today convinced me that life is too short.

• Like 6

I hope they make a DVD of this beautiful ballet at last.  

I'm pretty sure Kevin O'Hare said at the Insight Evening that there would be a DVD of the cinema broadcast.  Does anyone else recall that? (I'm asking because none of my friends remember him saying that - but I'm sure I heard it!). 

I'm pretty sure Kevin O'Hare said at the Insight Evening that there would be a DVD of the cinema broadcast.  Does anyone else recall that? (I'm asking because none of my friends remember him saying that - but I'm sure I heard it!). 

I thought he mentioned both the Cinema Relay and a DVD but it got a bit mixed up with him referring to Lauren being in the audience so it may have been wishful thinking on my part.

I'm surprised that there are so many tickets still available for this Bill.

Are you really that surprised that ticket sales are slow.You have to be in your forties to remember Two Pigeons as a repertory piece at the opera house.With rare exceptions Ashton ballets don't sell themselves and generally need a bit of a push.The problem seems to be that they are not Swan Lake or by MacMillan. If people have not heard of a ballet they tend to be a bit wary of it. After all there must be a good reason for it not being performed.mustn't there?

O'Hare may have said in interview that Ashton is central to the Royal Ballet's repertory but his programming policy does not really support that statement. And the rarity of Ashton revivals also has its impact on sales to the general public.If you know nothing about the ballet you might be put off by the prospect of its revival. I know that there were some very unenthusiastic responses to news of its revival on the Dansomanie  site. They clearly thought that it was the version that is very occasionally to be seen in Paris.

As the sales section usually has to do nothing in order to sell tickets they are not very good at telling the public what they will be missing if they don't see a particular production.But they will be very ready to tell those that matter if the ticket sales don't reach the numbers needed to justify future revivals.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 2

I'm surprised that there are so many tickets still available for this Bill.

I'm not: I was surprised they scheduled quite so many performances.  After all, as Floss says (although you probably have to be distinctly older than in your 40s - I've been attending since the end of the 80s, and haven't seen it) many - possibly most? - of the Covent Garden audience won't have seen it there, and may well not have seen BRB dance it either.  Plus, selling tickets at full-evening prices rather than mixed-bill ones won't have helped, either.  It's largely an "unknown", and I suspect is selling like one, too.  I would imagine that sales for the Rhapsody bill may pick up once it's become familiar - OTOH, people might decide they've seen it enough times by then.

As a fan of BRB I am amazed how many London ballet goers have not see Two Pigeons. SWRB were performing the ballet at Sadler's Wells in the mid and late 80s. I remember seeing Kevin O'Hare as the young man with Susan Lucas.

BRB performed the ballet at the Coliseum as recently as 2012, including the farewell performance of the great Robert Parker.

Could there be a lesson in this?

• Like 2

I'm trying to remember who I last saw perform in this ballet....was it at the ROH or Sadlers Wells ....will have to consult with friends...well am well past the 40's!! But have seen several times before albeit another lifetime ago.

I remember really loving this ballet then hence the pleasure at its revival but of course whether I will like as much now I have no idea.

I originally wanted to see the Choe (Pigeon) and Hayward (Rhapsody) combination but that day proved impossible in the end so am now seeing Stix Brunell(who I like a lot) and still Hayward in the Rhapsody so really looking forward to this shining a bit of light into January hopefully. It's not a particularly deep piece as I remember but has that warmth ....like Fille....

Ashton for me as a general rule anyway always manages to capture the pure joy of Dance which is probably why I like him so much. Sometimes in all the drama of life going on it is just connecting into the joy of life for a while that replenishes the spirit the most.

• Like 6

As a fan of BRB I am amazed how many London ballet goers have not see Two Pigeons. SWRB were performing the ballet at Sadler's Wells in the mid and late 80s. I remember seeing Kevin O'Hare as the young man with Susan Lucas.

BRB performed the ballet at the Coliseum as recently as 2012, including the farewell performance of the great Robert Parker.

Could there be a lesson in this?

Kevin O'Hare was my first Young Man in Two Pigeons at Sadler's Wells at the beginning of January 1990.  I fell in love with Two Pigeons then and have loved it ever since.

I think it is a masterpiece;  as ever Sir Frederick Ashton took what is basically a very silly story and created characters that you really care about.  The final duet is so beautiful, I don't think I have ever been able to watch it without sobbing out loud.  I have a vague recollection of reading somewhere that Sir Fred created this beautiful duet to show that ballet does not have to be all spectacular lift and leaps and I have got to say that there are not many of the block-busters that make me burst into tears for no apparent reason.

I do hope that all Forum members who are London-based or who can get to ROH go to see this wonderful ballet and I hope you enjoy it as much as fans of BRB have been able to for so many years.

I also hope that after a couple of performances the word will have got out and the rest of the season sells out very quickly!

• Like 9

When I was a very young child in the 60’s, I had an English children’s book about ballet. My mother had to translate it to me – it somehow sparked my interest for the language, and for ballet.

I vividly remember lovely black and white photographs of Two Pigeons (might have been Seymour and Gable then) with the white chair.

I’ve never seen the ballet, and I hope to experience a little of that childlike excitement when I come to London in January…!

• Like 7

I have seen the lovely ballet a few times when BRB have brought it to London.  I am really looking forward to seeing it again, and to seeing what the RB makes of it.  Luckily the pigeons have always performed perfectly when I've seen it!  :)

• Like 5

I was extremely lucky that my first pair of young lovers consisted of Lesley Collier ( in her favourite role) and David Wall ( allegedly one of Ashton's favourite in the role). It was at a time when Ashton was either still alive or he had only died very recently so his influence was very much in the work.

I was utterly enchanted by it and have looked forward to it every time it has been performed. I even remember Alessandro Ferry as the gypsy girl. The ballet's importance to me can be indicated by my nom-de-plume. I am so pleased that it is to be filmed and issued on DVD as it is one of Ashton's total gems and should be appreciated more widely.

I will be very amused if lots of European companies suddenly start to perform it. As I remember Nina Ananiashvili introduced it to her company in Georgia.

I know some people find it twee but I think everyone should ask themselves why there are so few ballet's of this calibre and could we not just do with some more.

One final point, it has never failed to impress me the number of dancers who have expressed a wish for this to be their final farewell before retirement. Robert Parker got his wish but Sandra Madgwick said she was very disappointed it wasn't in the rep at the right time for her. I have known other dancers say that at interviews.

Edited by Two Pigeons
  • Like 4

I know some people find it twee but I think everyone should ask themselves why there are so few ballet's of this calibre and could we not just do with some more.

Well said, TP!

I saw it when BRB brought it to London in 2012. Can anyone remember what else was performed with it? Did it come to the Wells or the Coliseum? I on't know how they get the pigeons to perform their part. It must be tricky.

They have some tricks of the trade.  There are, I believe, small seed trays on the back of the chair.  I also believe there are three pigeons because the pigeon that sits on the chair at the end for so long has a clipped wing.

I think they may also have understudies - at a performance in Plymouth I saw some years ago there were three pigeons fluttering around and 2 of them spent most of the time fornicating on the rooves at the back!  In the last run at one performance, the second pigeon flew in at the end and sat on Chi's head!  He and Ambra handled the situation really well and ended up cuddling the bird.

• Like 5

I don't know what are the current avian arrangements, but in the past one bird was trained to follow the light and the other bird was trained to follow its mate. This didn't always end happily and the final pas de deux was sometimes not always followed as closely as it merited due to birds fluttering around above one's head. For the same reason it was generally thought desirable for Pigeons always to be the closing ballet of the evening. On a couple of occasions when it wasn't the following ballet was slightly disrupted by free-flying objects around the auditorium!

• Like 5