Nominations & Results for Critics' Circle National Dance Awards 2016/17

Hot off the press:

THE 17TH NATIONAL DANCE AWARDS
Announcement of Nominations
The Dance Section of the Critics’ Circle is pleased to announce the nominations for the 17th National Dance Awards, which are as follows:

DANCING TIMES AWARD FOR BEST MALE DANCER
Tobias BATLEY (NORTHERN BALLET)
Alexander CAMPBELL (THE ROYAL BALLET)
Chase JOHNSEY (LES BALLETS TROCKADERO DE MONTE CARLO)
Vadim MUNTAGIROV (THE ROYAL BALLET)
Liam RIDDICK (RICHARD ALSTON DANCE COMPANY)

GRISHKO AWARD FOR BEST FEMALE DANCER
Francesca HAYWARD (THE ROYAL BALLET)
Ekaterina KRYSANOVA (BOLSHOI BALLET)
Laura MORERA (THE ROYAL BALLET)
Tamara ROJO (ENGLISH NATIONAL BALLET)
Zenaida YANOWSKY (THE ROYAL BALLET)

STEF STEFANOU AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING COMPANY
BOLSHOI BALLET
ENGLISH NATIONAL BALLET
LES BALLETS TROCKADERO DE MONTE CARLO
NORTHERN BALLET
SCOTTISH BALLET

BEST INDEPENDENT COMPANY
BALLET CYMRU
DeNada DANCE THEATRE
GARY CLARKE COMPANY
PROTEIN DANCE
SWEETSHOP REVOLUTION

BEST CLASSICAL CHOREOGRAPHY
[sponsored by The Ballet Association]
Anabelle LOPEZ OCHOA - ‘BROKEN WINGS’ (for ENGLISH NATIONAL BALLET)
Jean-Christophe MAILLOT - ‘TAMING OF THE SHREW’ (for BOLSHOI BALLET)
Cathy MARSTON - ‘JANE EYRE’ (for NORTHERN BALLET)
Will TUCKETT - ‘ELIZABETH’ (for THE ROYAL BALLET)
Jonathan WATKINS - ‘1984’ (for NORTHERN BALLET)

BEST MODERN CHOREOGRAPHY
Kim BRANDSTRUP - ‘TRANSFIGURED NIGHT’ (for RAMBERT)
Javier De FRUTOS - ‘ANATOMY OF A PASSING CLOUD’ (for ROYAL NEW ZEALAND BALLET)
AKRAM KHAN - ‘UNTIL THE LIONS’ (for AKRAM KHAN COMPANY)
RUSSELL MALIPHANT -‘SPIRAL PASS’ (for BAYERISCHES STAATSBALLETT MUNICH)
Crystal PITE - ‘BETROFFENHEIT’ (for KIDD PIVOT/ELECTRIC COMPANY THEATRE)

EMERGING ARTIST AWARD
[sponsored by The L&M Trust]
Reece CLARKE (First Artist, THE ROYAL BALLET)
Julie CUNNINGHAM (Freelance Choreographer)
Tierney HEAP (Soloist, THE ROYAL BALLET)
Katja KHANIUKOVA (Junior Soloist, ENGLISH NATIONAL BALLET)
Vidya PATEL (Guest artist, Richard Alston Dance Company)

OUTSTANDING FEMALE PERFORMANCE (MODERN)
Ching-Ying CHIEN (in ‘UNTIL THE LIONS’ for AKRAM KHAN COMPANY)
Marivi DA SILVA (in ‘YOUNG MAN’ for DeNada DANCE THEATRE)
Christine Joy RITTER (in ‘UNTIL THE LIONS’ for AKRAM KHAN COMPANY)
Hannah KIDD (as Penelope in ‘THE ODYSSEY’ for MARK BRUCE COMPANY)
Vidya PATEL (as Princess Maria Barbara in ‘AN ITALIAN IN MADRID’ for RICHARD ALSTON DANCE COMPANY)

OUTSTANDING MALE PERFORMANCE (MODERN)
Miguel ALTUNAGA (in ‘TRANSFIGURED NIGHT’ for RAMBERT)
Daniel COLLINS (as Jekyll in ‘JEKYLL & HYDE’ for THE McONIE COMPANY/THE OLD VIC)
Akram KHAN (in ‘UNTIL THE LIONS’ for AKRAM KHAN COMPANY)
Liam RIDDICK (as Prince Ferdinand in ‘AN ITALIAN IN MADRID’ for RICHARD ALSTON DANCE COMPANY)
Jonathon YOUNG (in ‘BETROFFENHEIT’ for KIDD PIVOT/ELECTRIC COMPANY THEATRE)

OUTSTANDING FEMALE PERFORMANCE (CLASSICAL)
[sponsored by Lee McLernon]
Francesca HAYWARD (in ‘RHAPSODY’’ for THE ROYAL BALLET)
Ekaterina KRYSANOVA (as Katherina in ‘TAMING OF THE SHREW’ for BOLSHOI BALLET)
Martha LEEBOLT (as Julia in ‘1984’ for NORTHERN BALLET)
Tamara ROJO (as Frida Kahlo in ‘BROKEN WINGS’ for ENGLISH NATIONAL BALLET)
Zenaida YANOWSKY (in the title role as ‘ELIZABETH’ for THE ROYAL BALLET)

OUTSTANDING MALE PERFORMANCE (CLASSICAL)
[sponsored by The Office for Architectural Culture]
Tobias BATLEY (as Winston Smith in ‘1984’ for NORTHERN BALLET)
Cesar CORRALES (as Ali in ‘LE CORSAIRE’ for ENGLISH NATIONAL BALLET)
Chase JOHNSEY (in the title role as ‘PAQUITA’ for LES BALLETS TROCKADERO DE MONTE CARLO)
Vladislav LANTRATOV (as Petruchio in ‘TAMING OF THE SHREW’ for BOLSHOI BALLET)
Irek MUKHAMEDOV (as Diego Rivera in ‘BROKEN WINGS’ for ENGLISH NATIONAL BALLET)

The winners will be announced at a lunchtime ceremony to be held in Central London on Monday, 6th February 2017.
Once again the event will also play host to the De Valois Award for Outstanding Achievement and the Dance UK Industry Award, given in memory of Jane Attenborough, for both of which there are no prior nominations.
The National Dance Awards have been organised by the Dance Section of the Critics’ Circle in each year of this Millennium and they celebrate the vigour and variety of Britain’s thriving dance culture. They are the only awards given by the body of professional dance critics in the UK. They are presented by the Dance Section of the Critics’ Circle, which brings together some 60 dance writers and critics.
In announcing the awards, the chairman of the Dance Section, Graham Watts OBE, said:
“Once again, these short-listed nominees come from a long list of over 400 dancers, choreographers and companies nominated from across the membership of the Dance Section of the Critics’ Circle.
This year is an especially bumper year for ballet with The Royal Ballet topping the list of companies with ten nominations, followed by English National Ballet (7), Northern Ballet (6) and the Bolshoi Ballet (5).
The Akram Khan Company gains four nominations for Until The Lions making it the most nominated production, closely followed by Northern Ballet’s 1984, the Bolshoi’s Taming of the Shrew, Richard Alston Dance Company’s An Italian in Madrid and ENB’s Broken Wings; all with three nominations, each. Other productions with more than one nomination are: The Royal Ballet’s Elizabeth, Betroffenheit for Kidd Pivot and the Electric Company Theatre and Rambert’s Transfigured Night.
For the first time ever, a nomination in a Best Male Performance category is for dancing as a ballerina, with Chase Johnsey of “The Trocks” nominated for his performance as Paquita [Johnsey is also nominated in the Best Male Dancer category].
The Emerging Artist category includes a nomination for the Kathak dancer, Vidya Patel, who was a finalist in last year’s BBC Young Dancer of the Year competition. Patel is also nominated in the category of Outstanding Female Performance (Modern) for her role as Princess Maria Barbara in Richard Alston’s An Italian in Madrid. At the other end of the experiential spectrum, Irek Mukhamedov – at 56 – is nominated in the category for Outstanding Male Performance (Classical) for his portrayal of Diego Rivera in Broken Wings. The ENB director and lead principal dancer, Tamara Rojo, also picks up two personal nominations as well as one for her company.
The Awards Committee wishes to express grateful thanks to our sponsors, without whom the event would not be possible; to the body of dance critics across the UK for giving their time to ensure the best possible list of nominees; and, above all, the companies, choreographers and performers for giving us such a rich variety of choice”.
For further press information contact:
Graham Watts 07710 057252
email: graham@g-watts.com
twitter @NatDanceAwards
Notes:
(1) To qualify for the NDA in 2016 performances will have been given between 1st September 2015 and 31st August 2016
(2) The Committee for the NDA in 2016 is: Zoe Anderson, Katie Columbus, Debra Craine, Mike Dixon, Gerald Dowler, Maggie Foyer, Jonathan Gray, Luke Jennings, Emma Kauldhar, Josephine Leask, Judith Mackrell, Bruce Marriott, Neil Norman, Graham Watts and Lyndsey Winship
LikeShow more reactionsCommentShare

• Like 5

Me too....I'm so glad I don't have to choose!  I would be very hard-pushed to do so!  Many congrats to all of the nominees.

I would have added Yasmine Naghdi and Matthew Ball in the Outstanding Female/Male Performance (Classical) category for their stunning debut performances in Romeo and Juliet just over a year ago.  But I'm sure their time will come.  

• Like 1

Me too....I'm so glad I don't have to choose!  I would be very hard-pushed to do so!  Many congrats to all of the nominees.

I would have added Yasmine Naghdi and Matthew Ball in the Outstanding Female/Male Performance (Classical) category for their stunning debut performances in Romeo and Juliet just over a year ago.  But I'm sure their time will come.  

Barely any critic was invited to attend their outstanding performance, sadly...Such a shame!

I am truly surprised Miss Naghdi did not receive an award for her performance in the Outstanding Female (Classical) category. She moved so many of us...Perhaps there should be an Audience Award category :) 

• Like 2

Barely any critic was invited to attend their outstanding performance, sadly...Such a shame!

I am truly surprised Miss Naghdi did not receive an award for her performance in the Outstanding Female (Classical) category. She moved so many of us...Perhaps there should be an Audience Award category :)

she would certainly get my vote!  :-)

• Like 2

Yasmine would have been there for me too as an Emerging Artist (Juliet, Rose Fairy, The Invitation - well, everything she does). Matthew received that award last year so I would have thought he had a strong case to be included in the category you suggest, Sim - for Two Pigeons if not for Romeo.

The rise and rise of Francesca Hayward is well-demonstrated, however, Emerging Artist (winner 2013/14); Outstanding Female Performance, Classical (nominee 2014/15); Best Female Dancer (nominee 2015/16).

There is so much luck involved in terms of whether or not the critics see a dancer. Muntagirov's Albrecht is another glaring omission in my view but I don't think he danced the first night of the Giselle run. We - lucky fans that we are - tend to see multiple casts within each programme mounted by the larger ballet companies. An Audience Award could be fun - just imagine the debate on balletcoforum  :)

Incidentally, I think that we already know who a number of the nominees will be for the 2016/17 season!

What is amazing about the list of nominations, of course, is that they truly reflect the wonderful, diverse world of dance that most of us on here couldn't be without.

• Like 3

...so it's really potluck for any dancer, giving an outstanding performance, to be seen (or not) by the dance critics (who mainly attend Opening Nights anyhow, bar a few exceptions). Shouldn't it be renamed "Opening Nights" National Dance Awards? 

...so it's really potluck for any dancer, giving an outstanding performance, to be seen (or not) by the dance critics (who mainly attend Opening Nights anyhow, bar a few exceptions). Shouldn't it be renamed "Opening Nights" National Dance Awards? 

Not really, because critics don't always go to the opening night.  Outside London the national critics often go to a matinee now because their newspapers will not (as I understand it) fund overnight stays.  Some critics do actually see more than one cast.

Well I can think of several outstanding dancers!

Well, Brandon Lawrence is an award winner in my book ... of that there is no question ... and Momoko Hirata was truly stunning in T&V.  That said there is a lot of talent in those nominations and so pleased that BROKEN WINGS is getting a lot of attention.  I so look forward to seeing it again.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 5

My goodness, Chase Johnsey (rightly, IMO) gets a nomination!

Congratulations and best of luck to all the nominees.

I do so agree! His Paquita knocked the socks off many of the very fine dancers that I have seen. As a matter of interest, and although wildly off-topic for this thread, I wonder what he would have made of Kschessinska?

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

And the winners:

THE DE VALOIS AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT

Dame Beryl Grey

THE ONE DANCE UK INDUSTRY AWARD

given in memory of Jane Attenborough

Brenda LAST, OBE

DANCING TIMES AWARD FOR BEST MALE DANCER

Chase JOHNSEY (LES BALLETS TROCKADERO DE MONTE CARLO)

GRISHKO AWARD FOR BEST FEMALE DANCER
Francesca HAYWARD (THE ROYAL BALLET)

STEF STEFANOU AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING COMPANY
ENGLISH NATIONAL BALLET

BEST INDEPENDENT COMPANY

GARY CLARKE COMPANY

BEST CLASSICAL CHOREOGRAPHY
[sponsored by The Ballet Association]
Jonathan WATKINS - ‘1984’ (for NORTHERN BALLET)

BEST MODERN CHOREOGRAPHY
Kim BRANDSTRUP - ‘TRANSFIGURED NIGHT’ (for RAMBERT)

EMERGING ARTIST AWARD
[sponsored by The L&M Trust]
Reece CLARKE (First Artist, THE ROYAL BALLET)

OUTSTANDING FEMALE PERFORMANCE (MODERN)
Ching-Ying CHIEN (in ‘UNTIL THE LIONS’ for AKRAM KHAN COMPANY)

OUTSTANDING MALE PERFORMANCE (MODERN)
Jonathon YOUNG (in ‘BETROFFENHEIT’ for KIDD PIVOT/ELECTRIC COMPANY THEATRE)

OUTSTANDING FEMALE PERFORMANCE (CLASSICAL)
[sponsored by Lee McLernon]
Zenaida YANOWSKY (in the title role as ‘ELIZABETH’ for THE ROYAL BALLET)

OUTSTANDING MALE PERFORMANCE (CLASSICAL)
[sponsored by The Office for Architectural Culture]
Cesar CORRALES (as Ali in ‘LE CORSAIRE’ for ENGLISH NATIONAL BALLET)

• Like 5

Northern Ballet are understandably chuffed that Jonathan Watkins won the award for Best Classical Choreography for 1984 which he created for the company.  Here's the press release:

Northern Ballet’s 1984 wins at National Dance Awards

Choreographer Jonathan Watkins wins Best Classical Choreography award at the National Dance Awards for Northern Ballet’s 1984

Northern Ballet also recognised in four further categories

Northern Ballet is delighted to have been recognised at this year’s National Dance Awards after choreographer Jonathan Watkins wins the award for Best Classical Choreography for 1984. Cathy Marston, choreographer of Northern Ballet’s Jane Eyre was also nominated for the same award alongside Anabelle Lopez Ochoa (Broken Wings for English National Ballet), Jean-Christophe Maillot (Taming of the Shrew for Bolshoi Ballet) and Will Tuckett (Elizabeth for The Royal Ballet). This year’s National Dance Awards celebrate dance in Britain for the period 1 September 2015 – 31 August 2016.

Voted for by the dance section of the Critics’ Circle, Northern Ballet was also recognised in four further categories with nominations for Outstanding Company, Best Male Dancer and Outstanding Male Performance (Classical) for former Premier Dancer Tobias Batley and Outstanding Female Performance (Classical) for former Premier Dancer Martha Leebolt.

This award underlines a highly successful year for Northern Ballet which also saw the Company win the Dance Award at the prestigious South Bank Sky Arts Awards for 1984

This year Northern Ballet also supported the National Dance Awards by sponsoring the award for Outstanding Female Performance (Modern) which was won by Ching-Ying Chien in Until the Lions for Akram Khan Company.

Looking ahead, 2017 is set to be one of the biggest in Northern Ballet’s history with an unprecedented three full-length World Premières; Casanova (March), The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (May) and The Little Mermaid (September). See northernballet.com/whats-on for details.

-ENDS-

Notes to Editors

Northern Ballet

Northern Ballet is one of the UK’s leading ballet companies and the widest touring ballet company in the UK. Bold and innovative in its approach, Northern Ballet is prolific at creating new full-length work with a unique blend of strong classical technique and world-class storytelling. Northern Ballet’s repertoire embraces popular culture and takes inspiration from literature, legend, opera and the classics, pushing the boundaries of what stories can be told through dance.

A champion for the cultural exports of the North, Leeds-based Northern Ballet is dedicated to bringing world-class story ballets to as many people and places as possible, under the leadership of Artistic Director David Nixon OBE. Northern Ballet’s Company of 45 dancers performs a combination of its full-length ballets and specially created ballets for children at almost 50 venues annually. Providing the highest standard of live theatre experience, every Northern Ballet performance is accompanied by live music played by Northern Ballet Sinfonia.

For more details of Northern Ballet's tour, on sale dates and booking information, please visit northernballet.com/whatson

• Like 4

I always find the prizes that state 'best female or male dancer' never really reflect 'what they say on the tin' as it is pretty clear that although MsHayward or Mr Johnsey are talented, and have great potential. They are by no means the best dancers from the other names listed, nor, especially as the Bolshoi Theatre visited in a particular good time for the company were they the best dancers that danced in the UK in the last year.

I understand that its a UK award and is supportive of the UK dance industry, and I think it is a wonderful venture, I just feel that Ms Rojo Or Ms Krysanova will not be feeling that they lost to the 'Best Dancer'.

It isn't a criticism of Ms Hayward, just how strange, in my opinion, the award sounds, given the amazing dancers that were seen in the UK this year. Maybe a new nomenclature is needed, or maybe, as I presume, its my problem.

Edited by SwissBalletFan
  • Like 1

its awarded for what's seen by the critics within the UK, within the alloted time space. So yes, definitely subjective, and will depend on what they saw within that time period. The figures went - 450 nominations, 55 nominees, 11 winners from 1st Sept 2015 to 31st Aug 2016.

• Like 3

The only thing I'd quibble with is whether Chase Johnsey should have won best female dancer as Yakaterina Verbosovitch. I was very enamoured with his Kitri.

Also love that Jonathon Young / Betroffenheit won - can't wait to see it again at Sadler's.

• Like 2