Nominations & Results for Critics' Circle National Dance Awards 2016/17

Congratulations to all the winners, of course. Two reflections about the nominees...........

The lists cause me to realise how much of the wonderful world of dance i remain unaware of and how very impressive some of the smaller endeavours are - for example, the Gary Clarke Company which won in the 'best independent' category.

How extraordinary it was that, for all its efforts at presenting 'new work' during the 2015/16 season, the Royal Ballet did not secure any nominations for choreography. Maybe there should be pause for thought here on the part of the RB? For once, I totally agree with the Critics and their shortlist included some truly impressive pieces.

• Like 3

I always find the prizes that state 'best female or male dancer' never really reflect 'what they say on the tin' as it is pretty clear that although MsHayward or Mr Johnsey are talented, and have great potential. They are by no means the best dancers from the other names listed, nor, especially as the Bolshoi Theatre visited in a particular good time for the company were they the best dancers that danced in the UK in the last year.

I understand that its a UK award and is supportive of the UK dance industry, and I think it is a wonderful venture, I just feel that Ms Rojo Or Ms Krysanova will not be feeling that they lost to the 'Best Dancer'.

It isn't a criticism of Ms Hayward, just how strange, in my opinion, the award sounds, given the amazing dancers that were seen in the UK this year. Maybe a new nomenclature is needed, or maybe, as I presume, its my problem.

Personally I would have hated to decide between Hayward and Krysanova but as a non critic I would have been happy if either of them were considered best.  In this case it's pity a they can't hand out joint awards.

As for the Bolshoi. although there were things to admire (not least amongst them Ms Krysanova;s performances),  I felt it was perhaps not a vintage season, with a few worryingly indifferent performances this time around. 

• Like 3

Congrats to all the winners.

I am especially thrilled that Chase Johnsey won Best Male Dancer (classical). He has whipped off some of the best fouettees I have ever seen. He's a great dancer so very well deserved.

Congratulations to all the winners. Particularly pleased about Chase Johnsey!  :)

Yes indeed, Chase Johnsey could give anyone, male or female, a run for their money!

• Like 4

I saw La La Land about 10 days ago. For all that I don't think it is a masterpiece either I am happy it is getting so much recognition purely because happy, joyous films are pretty thin on the ground these days. If its success means that more just might get made as a contrast to endless superheroes or slasher movies then I for one won't complain.

I saw La La Land about 10 days ago. For all that I don't think it is a masterpiece either I am happy it is getting so much recognition purely because happy, joyous films are pretty thin on the ground these days. If its success means that more just might get made as a contrast to endless superheroes or slasher movies then I for one won't complain.

Is this in the correct thread?

Congratulations to all the winners - all well-deserved.

However, I do have a query about the categories, specifically the Best Male/Female Dancer ones in the sense of those nominated. Well done to Chase Johnsey for winning (I didn't have the good fortune to see his performance - it sounds like it was well worth seeing!), but I wonder if he should have won that particular award? To my mind, the Best Male and Female Dancer nominations should be dancers who have performed in a number and/or range of roles over the designated year, and consistently delivered quality performances throughout - rather than dancers nominated for individual roles, no matter how good. I remember being somewhat puzzled by Ed Watson's nomination last year - please don't jump on me, Watson fans - I have nothing but admiration for him, and he is a worthy contender for Best Male Dancer at any time - but possibly not last year, as he scarcely seemed to have performed. I remember a discussion in this Forum around the fact that he didn't seem to have performed much. And whilst I am not Steven McRae's biggest fan, I could at least see the logic in his nomination.

This year, I felt that some of the dancers nominated - Hayward, Rojo, Campbell, Muntagirov - all filled the above criteria, having performed consistently in different roles and genres in the year under scrutiny. However, some of the others seemed to have been nominated for just a single performance, or a couple at most, on a flying visit - surely they would have been better placed in the Outstanding Male/Female Performance categories?

Or maybe we need another couple of categories - Best Visiting Male/Female Dancers? ????

Edited by Balletfanp
  • Like 2

Congratulations to all winners!

... the Best Male and Female Dancer nominations should be dancers who have performed in a number and/or range of roles ..

Or maybe we need another couple of categories - Best Visiting Male/Female Dancers?

That is not a bad idea, Balletfanp, about the new category.

However, where Ekaterina Krysanova is concerned, apart from her sterling performance as the Shrew, she fulfilled your requirement about a number and/or range of roles. She appeared in every production that the Bolshoi brought this time. She was Kitri, Odette-Odile, Katharina, Medora and Jeanne.

• Like 3

That is not a bad idea, Balletfanp, about the new category.

However, where Ekaterina Krysanova is concerned, apart from her sterling performance as the Shrew, she fulfilled your requirement about a number and/or range of roles. She appeared in every production that the Bolshoi brought this time. She was Kitri, Odette-Odile, Katharina, Medora and Jeanne.

You're quite right, Amelia, and point taken.

However, it still sits a little uncomfortably with me as it was still one short visit, plus these are, after all, the National Dance Awards - which sort of suggests (to me, anyway), that the winners of the Best Dancer categories ought to be UK based dancers. Others may disagree, of course. But having a couple of Best Visiting Dancer (Male and Female) categories would allow us to honour a bigger range of visiting dancers for their performances, rather than selecting just one or two to fit in with the other UK nominees, so to my mind would actually have a beneficial effect.

• Like 2

It is 'National' because professional dance critics from across the UK have voting rights. Although Krysanova featured heavily in the Bolshoi programme she will have only been seen by some of the critics and not in every role.