Advice on where to start with a 7 year old please

TinyNEDancer

Hello

My daughter and I are just starting the journey of looking into what else she can do to supplement her weekly ballet classes. She's 7, between grade 1 and grade 2 (she's ready for the G1 exam but can't do it this coming term so will attend a G2 class also in the meantime). She absolutely dance crazy, particularly ballet. She would spend all of her time in a ballet class if she could! So, I've been looking into associate programmes for her, and have noted down some of the key dates for auditions etc. But any help you could offer would be much appreciated! Where should I start? It all seems a bit daunting and everyone else seems to know what they're doing! One of my concerns is I take her to an audition and she's way below the standard of the  others and it makes her feel uncomfortable. I think we perhaps need a starting point! We're based in the North East but could travel. Thank you! 

Yes both my children did the RBS insight day, they enjoyed it very much. It is just like an associate class and good to do as an audition prep to see what is expected and what the other standard of children is like as parents can watch 

• Like 1

We did an RBS associate audition two years ago and the standard, especially for girls was exceptionally high. Go to the insight days and see what you think but I’d say wait at least 12 more months and work on flexibility at home alongside her classes. My DS thoroughly enjoyed his audition but I think he knew he hadn’t been dancing long enough when he saw the competition. Ironically now he’s improved he’s too old for many of them! 🙈 Typical eh?? xx

I’m not sure if they take children as young as 7 but northern ballet in Leeds have a free open day every year before the auditions. Parents can sit and watch. It’s friendly and your daughter will feel like she’s just taking a class but you would be able to see what sort of standard it is. 

Thanks so much for your replies so far, that’s really helpful. I’m going to give the RBS Insight day a try I think. Well she is! I didn’t know Elmhurst did an insight day, I can’t find details on their website but I’ll have another look today. I’m maybe looking in the wrong place. The impression I get is that the standard for RBS is incredibly high (maybe that is even an understatement?!), and Elmhurst and/or Ballet West might be more achievable, although still very high! Has anyone got experience of the JA programmes for Elmhurst (in the NE) or Ballet West? 

1 minute ago, bethany said:

I’m not sure if they take children as young as 7 but northern ballet in Leeds have a free open day every year before the auditions. Parents can sit and watch. It’s friendly and your daughter will feel like she’s just taking a class but you would be able to see what sort of standard it is. 

Thanks Bethany, I’ll look at this too. Their associate programme starts slightly later and is on a Friday pm I think, which we might not be able to get to, especially every week, but I’ll definitely have a look. She would love to go to something like that! Thanks! 

For RBS you can audition whilst your child is in Year 3 for starting in Sept year 4. That's what my DD did. Like yours she was taking grade 1 and star ting grade 2, and had only been dancing since just before her 7th birthday. She got a place :) We did the insight day at Leeds to see what a lesson would be like and she loved it. Go for it! You do have to be quick booking the insight day places as they go fast!!!!

Elmhurst JA for the north east are held on a Saturday morning at CitySpace in Sunderland Uni. They take school year 4-7. My dd attended for three years and loved it. Once she finished JA she started at Newcastle CAT which is for children aged 10 and over. We'd highly recommend trying both schemes. 

I think the best starting point would be to have a little chat with her ballet teacher (with your dd present too ideally) and see what she has to recommend. When I started getting 'serious' I did this and my ballet teacher gave me a list of exercises and stretches that I could practise at home to increase my strength and flexibility. 7 is very young, and so they will be looking for 100% potential - physical attributes, flexibility, and most importantly love of dancing :) 

I have friends who did Elmhurst JA programme (albeit in the North west) and they loved it - they got to take class with Darcey Bussell one week! Apparently there were a couple of girls there who hadn't even taken a ballet class before - they were gymnasts, but they ended up getting very good too.

I do the Ballet West senior associates and love it - it has definitely made me a better and more versatile dancer! If you want any info on BW feel free to send me a PM :) 

• Like 1

At 7, I would say that the most important thing is that she's having fun and has a good local teacher.

Associates wise, as others have said, you could look at RBS and Elmhurst or if you don't mind travelling a bit further there's Northern in Leeds or Ballet West in Edinburgh or Glasgow. 

All these schemes are oversubscribed, so it's best to approach the auditions as a nice day out and opportunity to do class with different teachers. If anything more comes of it then it's a bonus. Generally at this age they are looking for potential rather than attainment, so don't worry if others seem more accomplished. It's very difficult to predict who will be chosen so basically you just have to give it a go (or several goes) and see!

The other thing to consider is performance schemes such as EYB. They tend to visit the North East every 2 or 3 years so keep an eye on their website for auditions.

What has her teacher suggested? Are there any other children in the school doing associates etc?

• Like 3

Agree with all who have said treat as fun and talk with her teacher. Does your dd also do other dance genres apart from ballet? There are lots of benefits to learning other dance styles such as modern and tap (apart from the obvious one of spending more time dancing). My dd did jazz, modern (from age 9) and tap and also took up drama lessons, in addition to doing ballet. This was at the recommendation of her dance school. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing either, so I was glad of their advice. Some non vocational schools offer additional coaching by invitation, to children who they think will benefit from it. There is also the vexed question of dance festivals such as All England- many dance schools put a lot of effort into them and they do offer good performance opportunities. At the same time we know lots of dc who have never gone near a dance festival and it hasn't done them any harm.

We have been doing this crazy dance thing for 14 years now and are still learning...

I also have a 7 year old and would echo what others have said above. I think doing an extra grade class is the best start and then speak to her teacher about whether there are any other supplemental classes within the dance school. My DD is now doing a mixed-level, non-syllabus class once a week in addition to her Grade 1 and 2 exam classes and she loves it as it's just a bit different and 'free'.

She also goes to a couple of competition focused classes where the emphasis is on learning routines for competitions/festivals - you may or may not what to go down that road (and it may not be an option within your dance school) but my DD finds it great fun and at the end of the day it's all more dance. 

We are hoping to go to the RBS Junior Associate Insight Day which is coming up in October - I haven't been before but as others have said it sounds like a great chance to experience what JA's would be like and - for us - it will show what the journey to our nearest centre would be like in practice. The dates are on the RBS website but booking isn't open yet. 

• Like 1

I agree with starting to build up her regular dance classes, either by adding on more hours or another dance genre.  She is however only 7, so should avoid overdoing it physically.  Too much too soon can put pressure on her and take away her natural enjoyment.  Most important is to make sure that she's at a good school with experienced knowledgeable teachers, who can help her develop to the maximum. 

12 hours ago, sunrise81 said:

For RBS you can audition whilst your child is in Year 3 for starting in Sept year 4. That's what my DD did. Like yours she was taking grade 1 and star ting grade 2, and had only been dancing since just before her 7th birthday. She got a place :) We did the insight day at Leeds to see what a lesson would be like and she loved it. Go for it! You do have to be quick booking the insight day places as they go fast!!!!

Ah that’s brilliant, well done to your DD! There is an insight day in Newcastle I think so I’ll try and get her a place in that. I’m not under any illusions that she would be successful but I think she would really enjoy the insight day anyway. Thanks so much! 

11 hours ago, junedancer said:

Don’t be out off at an insight day - they look for potential - or by being turned down at a first audition. There are rarely enough places for those interested.  Adding a second graded class and/or a technique class would also be a good next step.

Thanks, that’s a good point. I’ll try and get her to see these days as experiences. She’s level headed hopefully should be ok. I imagine competition is fierce! 

2 minutes ago, TinyNEDancer said:

Ah that’s brilliant, well done to your DD! There is an insight day in Newcastle I think so I’ll try and get her a place in that. I’m not under any illusions that she would be successful but I think she would really enjoy the insight day anyway. Thanks so much! 

Thank you :) There is also the Cecchetti Associate scheme as well which my DD will be starting but I don't think there is a centre over NE. My DD had never danced before her first lesson, never done any extra stretching etc, never danced in the festival comps and doesn't come from a dancing family at all. She just seems to have that something and loves it :)

10 hours ago, HollyLou said:

Elmhurst JA for the north east are held on a Saturday morning at CitySpace in Sunderland Uni. They take school year 4-7. My dd attended for three years and loved it. Once she finished JA she started at Newcastle CAT which is for children aged 10 and over. We'd highly recommend trying both schemes. 

Yes, the more I read about Elmhurst the more I’m really interested. I think she would love it. We’ll definitely give it a go. We know of a couple of children who have had places on the associate programme and really loved it. It’s fab to hear personal experiences, thanks! 

9 hours ago, ArucariaBallerina said:

I think the best starting point would be to have a little chat with her ballet teacher (with your dd present too ideally) and see what she has to recommend. When I started getting 'serious' I did this and my ballet teacher gave me a list of exercises and stretches that I could practise at home to increase my strength and flexibility. 7 is very young, and so they will be looking for 100% potential - physical attributes, flexibility, and most importantly love of dancing :) 

I have friends who did Elmhurst JA programme (albeit in the North west) and they loved it - they got to take class with Darcey Bussell one week! Apparently there were a couple of girls there who hadn't even taken a ballet class before - they were gymnasts, but they ended up getting very good too.

I do the Ballet West senior associates and love it - it has definitely made me a better and more versatile dancer! If you want any info on BW feel free to send me a PM :) 

Fantastic, thank you! Well done you! That’s really helpful, I think one of the main things she could work on is her flexibility. She’s not a gymnast. She’s got long legs I think, in comparison to her torso, usual built for a 7 year old who never stops, but she can’t do the splits etc. I wonder how I can help her with that? I’ll chat to her teacher I think. 

9 hours ago, Pups_mum said:

At 7, I would say that the most important thing is that she's having fun and has a good local teacher.

Associates wise, as others have said, you could look at RBS and Elmhurst or if you don't mind travelling a bit further there's Northern in Leeds or Ballet West in Edinburgh or Glasgow. 

All these schemes are oversubscribed, so it's best to approach the auditions as a nice day out and opportunity to do class with different teachers. If anything more comes of it then it's a bonus. Generally at this age they are looking for potential rather than attainment, so don't worry if others seem more accomplished. It's very difficult to predict who will be chosen so basically you just have to give it a go (or several goes) and see!

The other thing to consider is performance schemes such as EYB. They tend to visit the North East every 2 or 3 years so keep an eye on their website for auditions.

What has her teacher suggested? Are there any other children in the school doing associates etc?

Thanks so much, that’s really helpful! I’ll chat to her teacher more when term starts again. We know of others who have done associate programmes from other ballet schools, I think it’s where she got the idea from! What you said about the auditions and a day out etc is really interesting. That’s definitely the approach I intend to take! 

7 hours ago, Mnemo said:

Agree with all who have said treat as fun and talk with her teacher. Does your dd also do other dance genres apart from ballet? There are lots of benefits to learning other dance styles such as modern and tap (apart from the obvious one of spending more time dancing). My dd did jazz, modern (from age 9) and tap and also took up drama lessons, in addition to doing ballet. This was at the recommendation of her dance school. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing either, so I was glad of their advice. Some non vocational schools offer additional coaching by invitation, to children who they think will benefit from it. There is also the vexed question of dance festivals such as All England- many dance schools put a lot of effort into them and they do offer good performance opportunities. At the same time we know lots of dc who have never gone near a dance festival and it hasn't done them any harm.

We have been doing this crazy dance thing for 14 years now and are still learning...

She does tap and modern, with the same teacher, but they don’t do competitions with her dance school. She does stage school but says her favourite part is dancing, although she loves the performance part (and she’s actually quite quiet, but a different child when on a stage or dancing!) 14 years... 😮 wow! Serious expert!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Waverley said:

I also have a 7 year old and would echo what others have said above. I think doing an extra grade class is the best start and then speak to her teacher about whether there are any other supplemental classes within the dance school. My DD is now doing a mixed-level, non-syllabus class once a week in addition to her Grade 1 and 2 exam classes and she loves it as it's just a bit different and 'free'.

She also goes to a couple of competition focused classes where the emphasis is on learning routines for competitions/festivals - you may or may not what to go down that road (and it may not be an option within your dance school) but my DD finds it great fun and at the end of the day it's all more dance. 

We are hoping to go to the RBS Junior Associate Insight Day which is coming up in October - I haven't been before but as others have said it sounds like a great chance to experience what JA's would be like and - for us - it will show what the journey to our nearest centre would be like in practice. The dates are on the RBS website but booking isn't open yet. 

Hi, yes I saw that too. You can register for an alert so I did that earlier in the week. We might see you there 😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ScottishDancerMum said:

In my daughter's class (junior level) at Ballet West Associates last year, there was a lovely little girl who drove up from Newcastle for the class each month.  I'm not sure where you are in the NE, but don't discount going further north for some fantastic programs :)

I won’t, thanks! Ballet West is on the radar of things to bear in mind! It’s one Sunday a month, that seems doable... unless it’s snowing! Thanks! 

And don’t be disheartened if she has a wobble - after a RBS insight day DD decided she didn’t want to audition for year 4 JA despite really enjoying the experience. I stepped back from taking her to anything apart from a weekly Grade 2 class and a year later she decided to audition for year 5 ( she didn’t get in to JA, but went to associates elsewhere and is off to vocational school next week!). 

• Like 1

Definitely do the RBS insight day - my DD loved it and as others have said - as you as a parent get to watch, you get an idea of standard, what’s expected etc. Also just to say my DD has been a Ballet Boost Associate for the last year - she has really gained from doing the classes and I would thoroughly recommend them - I know they are starting classes in Hull in the new year. 

• Like 1

I wouldn’t worry about your daughter ‘ not being up to standard’ at an audition. At this very young age they are looking for potential, physically, mentally and musically rather than a certain standard.

The way your daughter responds during the audition will be more important than doing the splits, which most children will probably achieve with time and practice anyway.

Taking her to an audition workshop is a great idea and will give her confidence to let her joy of dancing show on the day.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, margarite said:

And don’t be disheartened if she has a wobble - after a RBS insight day DD decided she didn’t want to audition for year 4 JA despite really enjoying the experience. I stepped back from taking her to anything apart from a weekly Grade 2 class and a year later she decided to audition for year 5 ( she didn’t get in to JA, but went to associates elsewhere and is off to vocational school next week!). 

Too true! After auditioning for JAs my dd said the best thing about the day was playing on the swings in the park in Eastleigh :(. She also didn't get a JA place but went on to do two other associate schemes and is going back into 2nd year of US. I think that the OP mentioned Ballet West Associates - I believe that they are expanding their programme 2018/2019 to add more centres so possibly more opportunities if you are in a northern location.

21 hours ago, Darkbeans said:

Definitely do the RBS insight day - my DD loved it and as others have said - as you as a parent get to watch, you get an idea of standard, what’s expected etc. Also just to say my DD has been a Ballet Boost Associate for the last year - she has really gained from doing the classes and I would thoroughly recommend them - I know they are starting classes in Hull in the new year. 

Thank you so much for the info on Ballet Boost and Hull. I didn't know about Ballet Boost so I looked them up and am very interested. Has your DD been doing the fortnightly classes?