Advice on where to start with a 7 year old please

TinyNEDancer

12 hours ago, valentina said:

I wouldn’t worry about your daughter ‘ not being up to standard’ at an audition. At this very young age they are looking for potential, physically, mentally and musically rather than a certain standard.

The way your daughter responds during the audition will be more important than doing the splits, which most children will probably achieve with time and practice anyway.

Taking her to an audition workshop is a great idea and will give her confidence to let her joy of dancing show on the day.

Thank you, that's reassuring. She's fairly quiet but is v v keen to learn and v resilient. I think your advice and that of others is absolutely right. It can't hurt to go along, take part in insight days etc and find out more. 

7 hours ago, Mnemo said:

Too true! After auditioning for JAs my dd said the best thing about the day was playing on the swings in the park in Eastleigh :(. She also didn't get a JA place but went on to do two other associate schemes and is going back into 2nd year of US. I think that the OP mentioned Ballet West Associates - I believe that they are expanding their programme 2018/2019 to add more centres so possibly more opportunities if you are in a northern location.

Wow, they're both brilliant examples of how it can all work out! Well done to both of your DDs!  I know I need to try hard to keep her resilient! Thanks Margarite and Mnemo 😊

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TinyNEDancer said:

Wow, they're both brilliant examples of how it can all work out! Well done to both of your DDs!  I know I need to try hard to keep her resilient! Thanks Margarite and Mnemo 😊

Its a pleasure! That's what we are here for :) Don't forget to look after yourself to stay resilient (wine is helpful).

Thanks so much, everyone has been really helpful. I’ve had a chat to her ballet teacher who was really helpful and lovely. She said she would support her and help where she could. She suggested the same programmes that I had on my list (from this thread largely!). She emphasised how competitive a process it was but felt that my DD would enjoy the auditions/insight days anyway and so not to be put off by this. Suppose I had better make a note of programmes and closing dates etc! DD is at a dance and drama daily summer camp this week, initially for child care whilst I was at work but she asked to go today, which is my day off so I’ll use the free time constructively 😉

I think you might all have older children but if anyone has any of a similar age and might be at the same insight days/auditions then let me know 😊

• Like 2