Watching week...whinge

Petalviolet

Just a small whinge...

It's been Watching Week before the Easter hiatus and I LOVE this! I'm usually the only mum who stays every week as we live slightly too far for me to drop off but everyone is firmly discouraged from hanging around and I'm always dismissed to the changing room. I can hear (a lot) but I can't see. So it is lovely to be able to actually put a visual interpretation on all the thudding, sliding, pattering, straining, even the occasional snarl of effort (snarling seems to coincide with the shouted order of all-long-glaise? This is a jumpy move? They find it tricky).

I digress.

So my whinge..nobody stayed to watch but me up until the very last 20 mins of class and when they did rock up (with shopping, coffee and pastry selection) spent more time scrolling through Facebook than actually watching their children! Just can people get off their phones for five minutes and enjoy real life happening right in front of them? These children are the most committed,sweet, friendly, dedicated little ones and the class is strict. They really want to be there, it's not childcare. They are training, learning and taking real criticism with such buoyant attitudes they deserve a bit of attention and recognition.

It just made me feel a bit sad. I understand the pressures of juggling work and family commitments - lots of parents would love to come but can't or have siblings to take care of. My own single working mum rarely had time. But what I don't understand is the habit of being present, in the room, but nose buried in your iPhone on social media the one opportunity a term you get to share in your child's interest.

Moan over.

P.s all'longlaise? Longlaise...all' oh...something. Jump to the side, tap feet, land awkwardly in a sort of squat. Huff and puff a bit. Tweak skirt. Giggle.

• Like 19

We are allowed to watch and I often do although I feel guilty not doing any exercise myself so I walk the dog occasionally instead. I am sometimes on my phone as well but hopefully this is justified for work or general organisation  :wacko: !

It is a shame when parents are not interested but on the other hand my DD complains that it makes her worse and also she says I comment too much (this also applies to netball matches!) so you can't win.

I think it is great to watch especially as I am paying haha, and I like to know what they are doing and how they are progressing, the other mums are great and we do tend to watch rather than look on our phones although sometimes we get told off for chatting too loudly. This week they have been doing their own choreography in some of the classes so they have had a little audience as well. 

• Like 1

I think if your school allows you to watch on a weekly basis you can be forgiven for not giving a class 100% attention!! I have been at schools where you are welcome to watch weekly and have to admit am nearly always lured by the bewitching siren call of Cafe Nero. I really agree that kids sometimes don't want to be scrutinised they get enough of that from their teacher! But if you get one class a term?!! I'd be so discouraged. Plus I wonder those of you with older children and those with children at vocational school you get to see them perform once in a blue moon :-(

• Like 1

I teach fun after school ballet and tap classes, not for exams or anything and I only let the parents watch at the end of term. The students are often sillier and less focussed with their parents there so its much better without them. Also the parents can really see the progress if they can't watch all the time. I take my hat off to teachers who don't mind parents watching all the time, I would always feel under scrutiny.

• Like 2

It does vary and I think the most constructive approach is a termly watching week for exactly those reasons. Ours coincided with exams being over so all pressure was off. Maybe it's just me but if I CAN watch..every week..completely freely..it's a Portuguese custard tart and a nosy around Waterstones. If I'm shoofed off and glowered at and must retreat to chilly waiting room with a book..oooooh what's going on in there?!! Must.....pop to the loo....while lingering at the open door....just..er..doing some stretching exercises using doorframe...nosy.

• Like 1

In my defense though I'm not a persistent oggler... I will shuffle off abashed. I've seen some wars raged though..

Principal's other half has an arsenal of weapons/tactics to discourage including sweeping with a huge broom along the width and length of the narrow corridor until he reaches any malingering cluster of spectators and will sweep right on through till they are dispatched.

He met his match with a lady and her chihuahua...that creature could dodge.

• Like 6

I have always loved watching day - it's been only once a term in all the schools my DKs have attended. When they were little though, lots of the children were horribly put off by parental presence (one little girl always gravitated to her mother's lap and refused to do the class at all) so I can see why it's considered disruptive to have parents there every week. Have to admit to spending many hours peering round the edge of studio windows (again when the class is too far to go home and come back) trying to be inconspicuous but still see whats going on....

I would have a  similar moan about people with camera/phones taking films- often by holding thier equipment above their head to get a view thus blocking the view of the person behind them. One father sitting next to me in a performance I attended at DSs vocational school, despite being told no cameras were allowed (the school has a professional recording made of all performances) brought out a massive (close to feature film size) camera to record a small child who didn't do much more than skip around (she was only 8 or so). I pretty much had to lean at a 45 degree angle to accomodate this recording...  I have to say I don't understand this obsession with recording every instant of every event- when do these people find the time to replay them? I can barely make it to the real thing.... And I don't believe you can truly engage with an event if you are fiddling with your camera or camera equivalent- the very rare (once or twice in my children's 44 collective years of life) times I have tried to record an event because DH really wanted to see it but wasnt able to come, I found it completely detracted from the enjoyment of being there....

But then I haven't really taken on the current cultural phenomenon of displaying your entire life via electronic media. Maybe it makes more sense if you do....

btw loved Petalviolet, loved your desription of A longlaise?! Glad to know I'm not the only ballet ignorant parent. My DS was in fits of laughter last week because I pronounced Serenade using english rather than french pronunciation, and because I didn't pronounce the last accented 'e' in fouette (tch, no respect. I'd like to see him perform multiple regression)....

• Like 4

One thing I would say that watching has improved my knowledge of ballet and other forms of dance immensely and made me really appreciate the skill and expertise of the professional dancers. I am now expanding my repertoire and going and seeing more productions. (Although I have to admit the longlaise step is a new one on me!)

I can see that some teachers might find it daunting and there is potential for the children to play up but I think in our school it makes us all feel invested in the success of the school as a whole. I suppose like everything there are pros and cons however if I could only watch one week a term I would be glued to their every move.  We don't have a suitable cafe nearby either.

• Like 1

But Ellie....surely from my exquisite and minute description of snarling and skirt twitching...?

I tried it out in the living room - minus the skirt twitching, (but with the giggle)....I think I've pulled something.

• Like 2

Petalviolet, I always loved to watch DC'S class whenever possible it's something I really miss now that schooling days are over. Parents were very well behaved in my experience with one notable exception - a mother who felt the need to shout out corrections to her DC during exercises. I'm not sure who went more puce, the teacher (enraged) or the dancer (mortified) but when a series of withering glares from the teacher failed to halt the mother's 'enthusiam' she politely (through gritted teeth) asked the mother to allow her to run the class without input from the stalls. Problem was that it was so funny to watch most of us were helpless with laughter trying to stifle it so as not to make the situation worse. It kept us mothers amused for several months after, as we'd call out the same corrections to one another as we passed in corridor or car park 'watch that working leg darling!' I can still hear it now 6 years on.

Edited by BankrollingBallet
  • Like 7

Just had the pleasure of watching the younger DS in his termly watching day for his grade 4 modern! I've not seen him in class for a couple of years as its too early in the day whilst I'm still at work.......

- what a lovely surprise to see how hard he has been working !

His teacher an old Elm suggested I should encourage him to go back to ballet , which he stopped 3 years ago as it was "too boaring" and he could not keep still enough for his ballet teachers liking , so she suggested he try tap and modern instead !

I had rather thought he was about to give up dancing altogether as he will never love it as Big DS does and is so not flexible , though has a natural turnout ! I hope he doesn't have to restart with all the little girls....I think I'll suggest a couple of trial classes and see how that goes after Easter !

I was also sad to see that several mums only drifted in towards the end of the class , interrupting the flow and at least one was more focussed on her smart phone that the children ........

• Like 1

I imagine there is a W in the pronunciation of Assemblies too?!

There should be a thread on Audience Behaviour at Watching Week.

In all seriousness though there is so much to be gained and shared by just being there and giving your undivided attention WHEN you can and that's all children want in the end.

I will be back in the waiting room post Easter listening to the barrage of instruction/critique/accusations/denials/pleading/finger-pointing/bargaining and general malarkey the constitutes the average eight year olds ballet class and will, as I sometimes do, sit there trying to idly workout who is this week's chosen one. Convince myself that it is DD who is the subject of any overheard praise..only to have her simultaneously come puffing in to deposit a cardie or sip water and chuff out again. Oh...not you. Deflate. Back to book..or Facebook. ;-)

Oh my god Carmen67 THATS IT THATS IT!!!!

ASS OM BLAYS not AL LONG GLASE....hurrah! Sorry DD's teacher has a thick accent.... Hahahagahaha

ass Om BLAYS..... F w et ays.....

Oh I love this forum.

Thank goodness, I can go to bed now :) 

• Like 10

I have enjoyed this thread! Priceless humour, Petalviolet! 

I personally always do two watching weeks - one before the winter break and one before the exams.  There is always such a difference between the two and the parents usually seem to be very pleased at their ballerina's progress!  They come with Grandparents and Aunties etc and film the class and give their total attention (well apart from one or two dads who you can tell just come because they were dragged to it by Mum!).

I find though that once they get to a certain age, the kids don't want their parents watching.  I actually tell them that they are being mean to their mums, who just want a chance to gaze in awe at their daughters' accomplishments, but it doesn't help.  I have started informing the parents myself on our WhatsApp group, as when we give them notes, they simply don't pass them on.  Unfortunately, that doesn't help either as the girls know I'm doing it and tell their Mums not to dare come.  I even have students who stay away from class on Watching week! 

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 5

I have enjoyed this thread! Priceless humour, Petalviolet! 

I personally always do two watching weeks - one before the winter break and one before the exams.  There is always such a difference between the two and the parents usually seem to be very pleased at their ballerina's progress!  They come with Grandparents and Aunties etc and film the class and give their total attention (well apart from one or two dads who you can tell just come because they were dragged to it by Mum!).

I find though that once they get to a certain age, the kids don't want their parents watching.  I actually tell them that they are being mean to their mums, who just want a chance to gaze in awe at their daughters' accomplishments, but it doesn't help.  I have started informing the parents myself on our WhatsApp group, as when we give them notes, they simply don't pass them on.  Unfortunately, that doesn't help either as the girls know I'm doing it and tell their Mums not to dare come.  I even have students who stay away from class on Watching week!

I know, its sad isnt it? Loads of parents come to the baby classes usually with noisy siblings in tow just to watch children basically skipping ( if they do indeed watch.) I had to intervene last week when 2 mums started to argue, real handbags at dawn stuff it was threatening to be!

Then when the students get older and really are deserving of an appreciative audience they tell their parents to stay away!

I point out that they are very lucky if their mums want to come because my own mum made no secret of the fact that she would rather not and only came because I insisted bless her.

Favourite viewing classes are the boys only ones though. The parents are always genuinely interested and the boys better behaved....

• Like 2

As a younger teacher I used to hate the scrutiny of watching classes but now as a business owner I love them - but I will only let people in at the start. I make a point of putting out chairs, inviting everyone in etc. Parents do like seeing their childrens progress and I think it helps 'non dancer parents' (ie most people) understand the discipline I ask for as a teacher, when they see it in class, and how far the kids have come (even little ones). It does annoy me if phones go off etc but a simple, friendly reminder at the start of the lesson to make sure phones are on silent etc, plus a mental note to myself to be extra tolerant and understanding of things that would normally irritate me (whispering etc), means we all enjoy the classes. 

Plus, in my little provincial school that I started last year, I ask the parents to share any photos and videos to be sent to me so I can use them in publicity material!

• Like 4

we used to have a watching week at the end of every time where invited in to sit and watch the whole lesson. As the school has grown, we've shifted to trying to do a recital/showcase partly due to lack of space but also because so many parents couldnt make it and it was a bit upsetting for some if nobody had come to watch them.

I used to love the end of term watching weeks as its a time to see the teaching in progress and how the children are progressing but thankfully we've had no calling out or fighting .. We've sat there nice and quietly without phones :)

• Like 1

Then when the students get older and really are deserving of an appreciative audience they tell their parents to stay away!

So true! Put my dd on a stage in a theatre in front of hundreds of people and she doesn't bat an eyelid - but me sitting on a chair in a village hall watching her in class... she hates it!

• Like 4

I helped with costumes for the show 2)rs ago; because of the hall we were in one night a week I got to watch the dancing.

The foyer was too cold & had no electric so at on the stage & watched while I cut out, glued, pinned, attached & sewed

The girls got used to me being there and I felt honoured to watch

It was a very special 6 months for me

• Like 3