Paris auditions

afab

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that on another thread someone had said that the girls at a particular vocational school (possibly Tring) did not start pointe until part-way through Year 7. I was under the impression that many local schools do not start girls on pointe until they are 11 or 12. I'm therefore surprised to hear that girls have to dance on pointe at auditions for Year 8 places at White Lodge.

Well I think there is a clear message from the top ballet schools in England and France that they expect girls to be on pointe from the beginning of year 7 if they are progressing in line with expectations. RBS always say they expect auditionees to be at the same level as the girls within the school and Afab confirmed that there is a similar view from POBS.

I think it is fantastic that at all the auditions Afab has mentioned the results are known instantly. I'm sure that all UK mums are united in saying that waiting for results is often the hardest part of the whole proces!!

Good luck with it all!

I'm not sure it is such a good thing to know on the day. Great for those who are successful, but for those who are not it is a huge, life changing dissappointment to have to handle publicly at such a young age, especially if friends have been successful.

I know this is how it is when you audition for jobs, but by the time you get to 18/19 you should be tougher and more experienced at handling rejection.

Whilst waiting for the post is awful (and I agree that some schools seem to drag out this process interminably) I would rather handle a dissappointed and upset child at home than in the dressing room of a strange school or in the car/on the train on the way home.

• Like 3

I think in the UK it takes to long for results!!Im dreading the wait for when its my dds turn.Im sure most of the dds wait months or years to audition and then wait for weeks for the answer.Dosent help at all when parents are choosing school options for year 7.I think this is way more stressful for the yes and no dds and the parents.I can also understand that a rejection on the day at the school would be very upsetting.Afab it would of been much nicer if they called that evening to give the result.

I would much prefer to hear on the day - its often the wait that builds expectation.

I would much rather my DD receive a rejection with others in a similar situation than to be at home feeling she was the only one. I think its easier to draw a line under it and move on.

• Like 2

Tomuchtalent, this is France after all!

Not a country known for its nice customer service! Nobody ever rings you to give you a result.

You either phone yourself on a special date to find out or you wait in queue to look at a piece of paper!

I suppose the Internet helps because you can check online now...

No waiting list either at Conservatoire even if kids don't take their places!

Obviously it depends very much on the child, and the parent.

I agree that the whole audition process in england is very protracted, but remember that to some extent this is to make it as fair and open as possible. Particularly with RBS, who take their audition roadshow to numerous cities so that as many people as possible have the opportunity to audition, and they don't want to make their final decisions about who they will see again until they have seen everyone.

They also I think aim to contrive it so final offers for different schools all come at about the same time, so you are not in the position of having to accept one offer (perhaps paying a hefty deposit) not knowing whether you will get an offer at another preferred school.

Good Luck and hope they both enjoy their time there :) .....hope to hear good news tomorrow night!! I too find it very interesting, how the whole system works abroad and thank you for giving us an insight fingers crossed for both your DD's.

• Like 2

Hello all and thank you really for all your best wishes!

Just back from Paris and really tired and unfortunately my DDs weren't taken. :(

But it was really interesting and eye opening. I'll get back to you with details later!

Thank you again, it was lovely reading your messages waiting for their turns in Paris...

• Like 1

Back from the land of disappointment, I can know tell you more about our adventures...

Audition at CRR then... You have to arrive about 1/2 hour before the time you are called and not much before or else there are too many people in that room. No nice welcome nor chat from the team. The auditions started at 8.45 with the wee ones (9 years old) and went on until 6pm with the A levels...

DD2 was called at 3.30 and DD1 at 4.30. They had to warm up on their own in a windowless room without any chairs nor barres and lots of mums sitting on the floor or standing trying not to take too much room away from the dancers.

The first part of the audition is a class with a rather simple barre and a more difficult centre.

DD2 was in a class of 24, one of them being a student at POB and trying CRR in case she wasn't taken... 24 of them went in, 6 were called back and 2 were finally offered a place...

DD1 was in a class of 17. 2 were called back and I don't know the outcome... A friend of DD2, who was called back last year, didn't even get a call back this year!

Pretty tough as you can see!

Of course the added irony is that when kids from POB school are offered a place at CRR but end up not being assessed out of POB, they of course don't go to CRR and the place is not filled... It's a strange system!

The week-end was actually not lost. It allowed DD2 to have a private lesson with a very nice teacher who helped her a lot with her placement and gave her lots of very good advice. And it also allowed DD1 to finally settle happily with her choice of going all the way into the Musical route. For her, ballet is a means to get somewhere not an end and I'm very proud of for her for being able to make that choice at only 14. She wants to keep on with ballet though on top of all the other types of dance she'll be able to study next year. She also decided not to audition for the CNSMDP (the national conservatoire) today so I will be able to tell you more about it once I have talked to DD2's friend's mother...

Next monday, DD1 is called back to her school of choice, the performing arts school where she already has been accepted, to try and get a scholarship which could be covering her tuition for the next 3 years!!! :D Of course, the problem is there is only 1 scholarship to grab and at least 15 people going for it!!! :angry: It would be such a help if she could get it! I'll keep you posted as always...

DD1 has now finished her round of auditions and is facing a dilemma since she's been accepted in the 3 top private schools of Paris :) Lots of thinking and gut feeling ahead of us...

Edited by afab
  • Like 2