Hmm. Call me old-fashioned, but I'd still rather have a DVD - I don't like watching things on computers. Presumably there is some way of stopping me from burning the whole thing to a DVD, because otherwise what would stop me from producing multiple copies and distributing them to friends? (Well, okay, my DVD burner isn't working, but that wasn't what I meant)

• Like 2

Press Release:

English National Ballet’s Le Corsaire available on-demand in HD for the first time, courtesy of DigitalTheatre.com Collections

Thursday 11 December 2014 from 5pm

Rent: £3.99 Buy: £10.99 (HD)

DigitalTheatre.com expands its ballet content with Le Corsaire, the first production to be captured live in stunning HD by English National Ballet.

Le Corsaire (The Pirate) is a thrilling ballet about Conrad, a dashing pirate, and his love for Medora, a beautiful harem girl. It is a swashbuckling drama of captive maidens, rich sultans, kidnap and rescue, disguise and conspiracy, love and betrayal, culminating in a shipwreck which is one of the most breathtaking spectacles in ballet. 

English National Ballet is the first UK Company to perform the complete work, which showcases some of the most bravura male dancing in the ballet repertoire.

Hollywood film designer Bob Ringwood (BatmanAlien 3Star Trek NemesisA.I. and Troy) has created new sets and costumes for this lavish period piece, an adventure story which promises unmissable entertainment and acclaimed dancing.

DigitalTheatre.com Collections is a unique cultural service that provides a platform for producers of quality content that has previously been recorded, forming a catalogue of recent and contemporary theatre, concerts, opera, ballet and dance. Harnessing DigitalTheatre.com's state of the art digital distribution platforms now means that DigitalTheatre.com Collections titles are available to watch online, download to your desktop or view through DigitalTheatre.com’s app for Samsung Smart TV.

Speaking about the launch of the English National Ballet’s Le Corsaire on DigitalTheatre.com Collections, Co-Founder and Creative Director of DigitalTheatre.com, Robert Delamere said: “We are delighted to shareEnglish National Ballet’s Le Corsaire on screen with a global audience, as we continue to expand the variety of productions available to watch on DigitalTheatre.com - the world’s best on-demand global arts entertainment platform. Its spectacle and choreographic brilliance are a thrilling addition to the platform, and it is a privilege to work with a company of the stature of English National Ballet and an artist of the calibre ofTamara Rojo.”

Tamara Rojo, Artistic Director of English National Ballet said: “I’m thrilled that we are working withDigitalTheatre.com to make available English National Ballet’s five-star production of Le Corsaire. We are in the beginning stages of exploring the capture and distribution of our work and what better way to kick-start this than with our magnificent Le Corsaire.”

NOTES TO EDITORS

AnnouncementDigitalTheatre.com launches English National Ballet’s Le Corsaire

Price: Rent: £3.99 Buy: £10.99 (HD)

DateTuesday 11 December 2014

DetailsEnglish National Ballet’s Le Corsaire now available on-demand in HD for the first time, courtesy ofDigitalTheatre.com Collections

Websitewww.digitaltheatre.com

About DigitalTheatre.com

DigitalTheatre.com is the on-demand arts entertainment platform with over 40 West End and Broadway shows available to rent or buy in stunning HD, with a global reach in over 220 countries. Working in partnership with leading theatre companies to capture stunning live performances authentically created for a fully immersive on-screen experience. Productions are available to buy or rent at DigitalTheatre.com and can be watched globally online, via the Samsung Smart TV App, and the DigitalTheatre.com iOS App.

Visit www.DigitalTheatre.com

About English National Ballet

English National Ballet is a world-class ballet company, renowned for creative excellence, innovative collaborations and engaging ways of honouring and enhancing ballet. Established in 1950 by former Ballets Russes dancers Anton Dolin and Alicia Markova and impresario Julian Braunsweg, and now led by Artistic Director Tamara Rojo, it exists to bring ballet to the widest possible audience by touring throughout the UK and around the world.

The appointment of Tamara Rojo as Artistic Director in 2012 saw the beginning of a new chapter for the company, with her twin aims of keeping the classics fresh and relevant for new generations and investing in commissioning and creating the classics of the future.  This has been demonstrated with the creation of an acclaimed production of Le Corsaire alongside the commissioning of three new ballets by British choreographers to commemorate the anniversary of the First World War (Lest We Forget).

English National Ballet is committed to making ballet accessible to all. The My First Ballet series is a joint venture with the English National Ballet School, offering children the opportunity to see a ballet production created specifically for their age group. Through its Engagement department, English National Ballet works with local communities of all ages involving them with ballet through workshops, talks and classes that take place around the country, and through work such as its hugely successful Dance for Parkinson’s programme.

I have heard that there will definitely be a DVD as well as blu-ray later next year.

I wonder what does it mean: next year is in a little more than 20 days.

I'd be happy to download it if I can burn a DVD and watch it on the sofa. Or on my sister's sofa, opposite her 55" TV screen!

But if I have to sit at my desk to watch it, three quarters of the enjoyment is lost...

• Like 3

Could you use HDMI or VGA connectors to connect your lap top or pc to the television?

Yes, I connect my laptop to my television by using a HDMI cable direct into back of t.v. every Sunday night to watch NFL. Works perfectly well.

• Like 1

We watched our download of the high def version last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The techie husband says that the compression level is more suited to streaming than a download and at the lowest end of what he considers high def. Quality looks fine small scale on the computer but on our 46" TV he had to tweak a few TV settings to make the action smoother and have fewer colour artefacts.

Throughout the performance the camera angles changed quite a bit, but they caught all the action and didn't have any distracting head only views or shots that cut off the dancers' feet. (Something the Royal still seem to be guilty of!) The only real issue is a picture freeze at 1.21.06 which will hopefully be corrected before the blu-ray is released.

So not perfect but thoroughly enjoyable. Great sets and costumes and superb performances from all the cast.  Loved it in the theatre and paying £11 to bring back such happy memories was well worth it. However, it looks like I'll still need to buy the blu-ray when it eventually comes out.

We watched our download of the high def version last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The techie husband says that the compression level is more suited to streaming than a download and at the lowest end of what he considers high def. Quality looks fine small scale on the computer but on our 46" TV he had to tweak a few TV settings to make the action smoother and have fewer colour artefacts.

Throughout the performance the camera angles changed quite a bit, but they caught all the action and didn't have any distracting head only views or shots that cut off the dancers' feet. (Something the Royal still seem to be guilty of!) The only real issue is a picture freeze at 1.21.06 which will hopefully be corrected before the blu-ray is released.

So not perfect but thoroughly enjoyable. Great sets and costumes and superb performances from all the cast.  Loved it in the theatre and paying £11 to bring back such happy memories was well worth it. However, it looks like I'll still need to buy the blu-ray when it eventually comes out.

Thank you.

Do your techie husband think I would be able to copy the downloaded files onto a DVD to watch it with my player connected with TV?

I've asked the guru annamicro, and the answer is unfortunately not. The material is all copyright protected and has to be played through the Digital Theatre (DT) player. The only ways to play it on your TV  are:

1) connect the TV to your computer running DT  (ideally with an hdmi cable)

2) relay to the TV from an iphone or ipad through Apple TV or

3) if you have a Samsung smart TV there is an app for it but he doesn't know if that works in the UK

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

I've asked the guru annamicro, and the answer is unfortunately not. The material is all copyright protected and has to be played through the Digital Theatre (DT) player. The only ways to play it on your TV  are:

1) connect the TV to your computer running DT  (ideally with an hdmi cable)

2) relay to the TV from an iphone or ipad through Apple TV or

3) if you have a Samsung smart TV there is an app for it but he doesn't know if that works in the UK

Hope that helps!

My desktop is too far from Tv and I cannot dowload it on my business laptop...so maybe te best solution is to wait for the DVD/Bluray release :-( How annoying!

Thanks to you and the "guru" for your help! :-)

Our hdmi cable is 10m long and stretches from one room to another. I think it cost about £10 from Kenable. I looked on Amazon and they actually go up to 50m in length (though with an increasingly large price to match of course!).

I agree it is all very annoying but I think they need to sort out a few technical hitches, especially the frozen frames in the Jardin Anime sequence before issuing the DVD.

BTW, the guru says you're welcome :-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My Christmas tv highlight was definately watching this Corsaire. While I still think no production can compare with the Mariinsky for me this production is definitely 'the best of the rest'. Sets and costumes are splendid as is the style and commitment of the dancers. I bought the HD version from digital theatre and watched it on the tv via an ipad connection. Picture quality was good and I wasn't aware of any picture freezing in the garden scene. The performances of Alina and Vadim alone is worth the money especially as I think this is the only full length recording of Vadim currently available (though hopefully won't be the last!). English national Opera seem to be getting in on the cinema act, it would be great if the ballet would follow suit. This is definitely a ballet that would benefit from a large screen, especially the first act in the market. there is so much going on in the background that would be good to see. I wish they would follow Corsaire by doing the Merry Widow. it is a wonderful ballet but I've never seen it live as no company over here does it. I think it would be a great ballet for ENB to do and they have the connection with Ronald Hynd as they do his Coppelia.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...