Going back to ballet.

Fiz

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck fiz

How brave ;) I tried adult tap and Bollywood at my dd dance school and I was absolutely hopeless!!!

Talking about dreams the night before EYB casting for swan lake I dreamt my dd was cast as a pantomime horse and the back end too!!! Picture that amongst all those graceful ballet dancers haha... Phew :) thankfully she was cast as a cygnet!!

Cx

• Like 2

Well the Zumba on the Wii was pretty embarassing - shocked at how difficult I found it to pick up the moves. I'm afraid I resorted to the Wii fit for an hour - and that was pretty bad as I haven't been on that for 6 months. So Fiz well done to you for joining up and putting yourself out there. Looking forward to hearing about the next class.

• Like 2

Porthesia, come closer and I'll whisper so the other don't hear - my thighs were still sore on Saturday. I was shocked by how unfit I am. I dragged myself out for a walk yesterday as I am determined to to do a 5km rum for breast cancer charity either this autumn or next, having been inspired by the Marathon yesterday, as my dear Mum has it ( she seems to holding her own, thank goodness) and it killed her mother when Mum was only ten. I will post more if people want me to, but I don't want to bore people.

I think you are so amazing in what you are doing. Good Luck with the Charity run, I definitely want to know how that goes and I hope your mom continues to hold her own.

I am now the heaviest I have ever been - more so than when I was pregnant and so unfit. I had been meaning to start exercising again and you nudged me into starting it so thank you very much. Hope you stop aching soon. I only did a bit of balance and boxing on the Wii but I expect I'll be a bit stiff tomorrow!!

porthesia - why not try to go along to zumba classes? Much more fun than trying to do it at home by yourself.

I started in January and go when I can. I have a great laugh - especially when I turn in a totally different direction to everybody else. If I can't keep up I slow the moves down to suit myself as I have joint/muscle problems. If I can keep up it's a bonus. :)

Also have been doing pilates for a few years now. You can lie down - that's good too. ;)

• Like 2

Fiz, I am really glad you enjoyed it. I went back to ballet after a break of 20 years, having done a multitude of other sports and exercise classes, and I was amazed what hard work it was physically. However, mentally it was wonderful. As someone else in the class said, you can't do ballet and think about something else. It is so good for clearing the mind and coming out physically tired but mentally refreshed.

Edited by Fonteyn22
  • Like 1

Thanks Lottie, I wanted to get a bit fitter before I tried the classes. I also used to do Pilates, but what I really loved was BodyBalance - Tai Chi, yoga and pilates set to music - I'm looking for a class but again, I would like to get a bit fitter first. The lying down gives me a problem as I can't get up again!!

As a teacher I found it tremendously gratifying to teach adults - either beginners or "returners." It is difficult to find classes for these adults. I think if more teachers offerred these classes they would find as much pleasure in it as I did.

It was wonderful to watch a smile slowly spread across the face of an adult who was discovering something for which she or he had been searching or wanting to experience again.

If there are any adults who are considering going to ballet class for the first time....but are hesitant....I can reprint the series of articles which first appeared in the "old" (I should say original) Ballet.co forum.

• Like 2

Well done Fiz!!! Here's to your next class tomorrow. You inspired me and I booked myself on the adult workshop at the Lowry with Ballet Central. I did contact them first, told them my age and what I have (and haven't done for 25 years!) and they were very encouraging, its for all levels including beginners, you just have to be an adult! Will be setting off soon, so excited!

NL x

• Like 4

I had a lovely class last night! My balance was an awful lot better, but oh, I miss my turnout (used to be 180 degrees) and the less said of my plies the better! I asked about an additional class. Christina was open to the idea but since our class is so small, she wasn't sure and that one class is plenty for the moment. Unfortunately there isn't a class next week as somebody else has the church hall on the first Wednesday in the month, so I will be going swimming instead.

• Like 3

Lovely to hear how much you are enjoying the class. The turnout and plies will improve with time - wish I'd ever had 180 degrees turnout. I joined an adult ballet class in my mid 20's and loved it.

I've finally found my Wii fit 2 disc - I like what's on there better so I'm just going to do that now. Bathroom scales say I've lost 1lb - it's a start - so many more to loose!! You never know, if I loose enough weight so that I can fit into a leotard I may look for a ballet class as well. :)

• Like 1

Anjuli,

Since I have flat feet, zero turnout, scoliosis, a torn knee cartilage, and a bulging disc in my neck, it's more a question of what the osteopath can do for me I'm afraid!

Mind you, my adult tap teacher keeps nagging me about my 'ballet arms' so at least somethings's OK...

Hello,

Lurker of many years on the old site, first time post.

I just wanted to say how inspired I was reading this thread and so this week trotted off to my first ballet class since I was 12. I enjoyed it very much, it is definitely going to be a regular part of my week. Big thank you to all!

(PS....I hear there is a principal position coming up soon at the RB, may be I should be thinking about a change of career...... ;) )

• Like 7

Aim high!! Lol. I think you are indeed inspiring - I've been teasing my DD that I'm going to start the adult ballet class at her local school - she's mortified!! Oh well... ( maybe she's worried i'll outshine her although that's highly improbable tee hee ) :))

• Like 2

Hello, Claire. Welcome, and congratulations on taking the plunge in both senses!

Fiz, I can only commiserate: I never used to have brilliant turnout, but it got down to the stage of being totally rubbish. I think it's improving.

That reminds me: I need to get out my Coppelia DVD and start practising - fast! Drat, I meant to bring it into the office today and have a go in my lunch hour!

• Like 2