GP Certificates

Kat09

Hi All - I am wondering how much the general rate is, that Doctors are charging for assessment, for signing the various schools medical declaration .... mine wants £25 for a GP fit and well certificate as requested by Northern ie no examination or £117 for a full medical .... is this normal? ... shocked!! :blink:

Hi all,

Remember all the money doesn't go to the gp. They have to pay staff, pay for buildings, buy IT systems etc etc Anything like this that is not covered by NHS has to be funded. But I know it's unwelcome after all the audition costs and before the fees.....

Sounds on the higher side but not out of the ordinary. If you're having a full medical you could shop around, the gps in less affluent areas tend to charge less I have noticed. As Sarah points out its not part of their nhs contract so they can set the fees and a lot of gp practices are quite business minded!

Hi All - I am wondering how much the general rate is, that Doctors are charging for assessment, for signing the various schools medical declaration .... mine wants £25 for a GP fit and well certificate as requested by Northern ie no examination or £117 for a full medical .... is this normal? ... shocked!! :blink:

Oh dear, more expense !! I'm presuming your DD has an offer - Congratulations  :D

Has she decided to accept that place or is she waiting for other offers ? If she is waiting, can't you see what other offers she gets and then just pay the doctor's fees for one school - don't really know how it works xx

I work within a GP Surgery and you should not be paying these high prices unless you are requiring a full medical report which I cannot believe is necessary unless you have a complicated history.  You should visit their websites (which they must all have) and look at their fees which should be published.  If you ask for a fitness to attend certificate it should be about £40/£50 no more.  If they are saying £200 then this is unreasonable.  If they are quoting a high price then it is worth writing a letter to the Senior Partner or the Practice Manager to request a reduction.   I always reconsider fees if a letter lands on my desk and it is for a child.  I would give them plenty of notice though as it usually has to be squeezed into a very busy day. :)

• Like 1

Unless they will do a full medical, looking at bone health, lung function etc I'm not sure what the point is tbh. Regarding fees though, you would pay the same for another professional such as a solicitor or vet, post a levels I think it's about 12 years study to qualify as a gp

I remember handing over a substantial sum to a GP (who I'd known for years) for signing my passport renewal form and photo....What ? I was in and out within 2 minutes !!! Of course if extensive checks are involved it's different. Recently took my DS to the opthamologist (??) (eye doc) who said he'd originally studied at a music conservatoire and sometimes regretted not following a career in music...(I told him not to worry - as I was reaching into my wallet....  ;) ) x

• Like 1

sarahw, at my surgery the money went straight to the GP!

I needed a letter for something recently, not ballet related. He said it would be 25 pounds. When I collected they asked me to make the cheque out directly to the GP which I thought was a bit strange. And the letter was really brief and didn't include much of the detail we had discussed.

• 11 months later...

Bumping this up as just took the ENB forms to my surgery and was told it would be £87.50 for a twenty minute appointment as it is classed as private work.  My last Dr's surgery did it for free when she had forms from Tring applications a few years ago.  Just shows how different they all are!  I'm wondering if there is anywhere else that would do it... Bupa etc?  I don't really like my new Dr and don't want to pay him that!! 

I wouldn't mind if everyone seemed to get charged the same fixed fee but it seems to vary so wildly you can't help but wonder why.  I did just google on the British Medical Association site and £87.50 is actually the correct cost for this so I don't think he is just lining his pocket... but then why are some Dr's willing to charge just £25 or so?