Memorable Partnerships

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from that, how could I possibly leave out Cojocaru and Kobborg?  The rest needs more thinking about.

Over the last few weeks, it has kept nagging at me at inappropriate times to wonder whether I'd mentioned Durante and Mukhamedov. How could I not?

The other one I've been chewing over has been which two-thirds of Benjamin/Watson/Galeazzi to choose (well, obviously not the two women, of course :) ). Overall, I think probably Benjamin/Watson just edges it, because I think they've danced more roles together, but it's a close-run thing.  

As for making a partnership - dancing superbly of course, then emoting in an appropriate but passionate manner, would do it for me.

But I suppose each dancer could conceivably do that individually, without there necessarily being a great relationship between them?

I am anxiously waiting for the emergence of a right partner for her who will match not only her technical skill but also her passion and artistic inflammability. And he should be taller than her, IMHO again.

Amelia, maybe your prayers will be answered with the arrival of Muntagirov....I will be very interested to see if they are put together, and if so, how it works out.  Theoretically, it should be amazing:  both Russian, both passionate, both technically fantastic and both very capable dramatically.  I will be watching (and hoping) with great interest!

• Like 1

Over the last few weeks, it has kept nagging at me at inappropriate times to wonder whether I'd mentioned Durante and Mukhamedov. How could I not?

The other one I've been chewing over has been which two-thirds of Benjamin/Watson/Galeazzi to choose (well, obviously not the two women, of course :) ). Overall, I think probably Benjamin/Watson just edges it, because I think they've danced more roles together, but it's a close-run thing.  

Well, I am sure I have mentioned Durante and Mukhamedov, because they really were one of my favourites.  Terrific individual dancers, but as a partnership they took it up to another level.  I was so sad when Durante left, it really was a great loss to the RB IMO.

I don't know that I saw Galeazzi in that much, so I cannot pass comment on that.  And although I was a huge fan of Benjamin, I can't think of any  particular male partner of hers that sticks in my mind.

An Osipova/Muntagirov partnership is an enticing prospect. They are certainly of the same calibre technically and he is undoubtedly tall enough for her, but until they actually dance together it is impossible to know whether they look right together and whether there is any on-stage chemistry. I hope that the RB will give the partnership time to develop, if it has promise; great partnerships do not emerge fully-formed overnight. When is the last time that the RB had an all Russian partnership?

When is the last time that the RB had an all Russian partnership?

There was Ananiashvili and Fadayev in the 90s though technically she's Georgian, not Russian.  And Makarova and Mukhamedov (but he's a Tartar) around the same time.  Usually though the RB management tries to reproduce the old magic of Fonteyn and Nureyev, so they partnered Bussell first with Mukhamedov and later with Zelensky.  Assylmuratova was also partnered by Cope in the late 80s but after his departure I'm sure she danced with another guest compatriot, can't remember who.

Linda

Edit to correct spelling.

Edited by loveclassics
  • Like 1

I don't think Mukhamedov ever danced with Makarova in a 'partnership', if you know what I mean.  He also danced with Assylmuratova in Bayadere when he was with the Royal Ballet, but also not a 'partnership' in the same sense as there was with Durante.  He has said how much he loved dancing with Lesley Collier too.

• Like 1

One of the great partnerships without a personal man/woman relationship was Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin.

I am almost finished reading the new 600 page bio on her.  I find it surprising how little she seems to be remembered.  Sad.

• Like 2

One of the great partnerships without a personal man/woman relationship was Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin.

......................  I find it surprising how little she seems to be remembered.  Sad.

I think she is remembered if only because she was a prima ballerina assoluta. Our only one apart from Fonteyn. Markova was a bit before my time but I remember seeing her take a bow. I think I also saw Dolin take a bow possibly at the same event.  All the great and the good were at Ashton's retirement gala in 1970 so it was probably then.

Markova was also the founding ballerina for just about every ballet company in the UK during her time.  

Like Pavlova before her, she danced all over the world bringing recognition to her homeland at a time when almost everyone thought one had to be Russian to be a great dancer.  She was among the very first to bring ballet to television.   And, bringing dance to the small towns and villages of the UK was very  important to her.  She danced through injury and serious illness going everywhere regardless of the lack of facilities - putting her career at risk to bring dance to people who otherwise would never see ballet. This, many times, entailed the loss of well paying engagements at world class theaters.  

Maybe because there are fewer people around now who attended her performances, but at the time she was at the top of the pyramid  - and the true bridge between the original Diagelev Ballet Russe and the next generation of dancers who followed her.  He discovered her at age 14 and saw her future greatness even then.  

And much of this can be said of Dolin, too.  He was her partner for many years.

• Like 1

The greatest partnership of the past in Mariinsky (then Kirov) Theatre was that of Galina Ulanova & Konstantin Sergeyev, which lasted for less than 10 years and was terminated after her move to Moscow.

Below is a link to their White Adagio from “Swan Lake” recorded in a studio in 1940.

When I watch this clip over and over again, I admire - apart from their close rapport and classical perfection of her every line and movement - the technical skill of both when the ballerina is supported during pirouettes. She does 4-5 pirouettes perfectly upright while the partner’s support is very light and fleeting. He does not hold her but only touches her at some point, literally with one finger. I don’t like to see how many dancers now aree twirling their girls with their hands like a distaff.

• Like 4

The greatest partnership of the past in Mariinsky (then Kirov) Theatre was that of Galina Ulanova & Konstantin Sergeyev, which lasted for less than 10 years and was terminated after her move to Moscow.
Below is a link to their White Adagio from “Swan Lake” recorded in a studio in 1940.
When I watch this clip over and over again, I admire - apart from their close rapport and classical perfection of her every line and movement - the technical skill of both when the ballerina is supported during pirouettes. She does 4-5 pirouettes perfectly upright while the partner’s support is very light and fleeting. He does not hold her but only touches her at some point, literally with one finger. I don’t like to see how many dancers now aree twirling their girls with their hands like a distaff.

Thank you, Amelia, for that clip.  How wonderful - how lovely - how gentle his partnering - how marvelous their lines.   Brings one back to why people fell in love with the ballet.  Reminds us that the extremes which have crept in are so intrusive and unnecessary.

"She does 4-5 pirouettes perfectly upright while the partner’s support is very light and fleeting. He does not hold her but only touches her at some point, literally with one finger. I don’t like to see how many dancers now aree twirling their girls with their hands like a distaff."

I saw Donald McLeary give a master class at the ROH in which he said how important it was NOT to 'paddle' the turn. For one thing it is easy to overdo it and unbalance the ballerina.  Deborah Bull made the same point in her TV programme 'The Dancer's Body' when talking about the physics of turning.

Linda

Edit because I somehow lost the quotes.

Edited by loveclassics

I'm sorry I can't remember the full name, I think it was the former.  It was when the company toured the US around 1991.

Then, Linda, it must be Bolshoi's Alexei Fadeyechev with whom Nina had a very good partnership.

I am not sure if she ever danced with Mariinsky's Adrian Fadeyev.

• Like 1

If you look at film of Fonteyn and Michael Somes you will see that in 'supported' pirouettes he invariably takes his right hand away from her waist as soon as she starts turning - I've always thought this was both  more elegant and more exciting (she turns very fast) than the human corkscrew effect.

Deborah Bull made the same point in her TV programme 'The Dancer's Body' when talking about the physics of turning.

I wish they'd repeat that, or put it out on DVD or something. I did tape it at the time, but the soundtrack was faulty, so I never did get to hear what she was saying!

I am almost finished reading the new 600 page bio on her.  I find it surprising how little she seems to be remembered.  Sad.

Well you might be reassured to know that when she died the White Lodgers were called into a special assembly to be told the news which was then relayed to me by ds. There is also a beautiful bust of her on display at the school. One of the features of White Lodge is that students do learn about the heritage of British Ballet there.

Amelia, maybe your prayers will be answered with the arrival of Muntagirov....I will be very interested to see if they are put together, and if so, how it works out.  Theoretically, it should be amazing:  both Russian, both passionate, both technically fantastic and both very capable dramatically.  I will be watching (and hoping) with great interest!

I agree but a Muntagirov/Cuthbertson partnership could also work very well dramatically.

Edited by capybara

Thank you, Amelia, for that clip.  How wonderful - how lovely - how gentle his partnering - how marvelous their lines.   Brings one back to why people fell in love with the ballet.  Reminds us that the extremes which have crept in are so intrusive and unnecessary.

Yes, I really enjoyed watching that.  I was struck by her speed, and once again lament the fact that modern dancers seem to take things much more slowly (presumably to get the leg up higher in arabesque).

Slighly off topic, but when Ulanava prepares to turn, she brings the leg in front with very little, if any, turnout. I've noticed this with Fonteyn clips as well, that she seems to perform steps with less turnout than we see now.  As both dancers were the best of the best in their day, it certainly wasn't because of any lack of flexibility, so I wondered why the change in technique.  Fashion? 

Yes, I really enjoyed watching that.  I was struck by her speed, and once again lament the fact that modern dancers seem to take things much more slowly (presumably to get the leg up higher in arabesque).

Slighly off topic, but when Ulanava prepares to turn, she brings the leg in front with very little, if any, turnout. I've noticed this with Fonteyn clips as well, that she seems to perform steps with less turnout than we see now.  As both dancers were the best of the best in their day, it certainly wasn't because of any lack of flexibility, so I wondered why the change in technique.  Fashion? 

Turnout is another facit of technique which has changed.  And like everything else has become much more pronounced, if not extreme.   If one views R & J with Fonteyn and Nureyev on DVD/tape - you will see that there is very little turnout among the men.  There is a picture in Mathilde Kschessenskaya's biograpy in which she is not at all turned  out.  She was asked about this and, as I recall, her answer was that the character she was dancing would not have turned out.  To her, truth to character was more important.

Also, if you look at Ulanova, she does not represent the modern (post Balanchine) look that is demanded today - no long neck, no extreme thiness and length of leg - but - oh my  - she surely can dance!

Edited by Anjuli_Bai
  • Like 1

Sylvie Guillem and Jonathan Cope - the best.  Jonathan never the same partnering any other dancer  Their Romeo and Juliet a particular highlight. He came alive when dancing with her and although she chose other partners, I never saw the same connection

Steven McRae and Roberta Marquez bring out the best in each other - recent Giselle's bear this out. Also La Fille / R&J. I think she went to another plane when she started dancing with him

Ed Watson / Mara Galeazzi = Mayerling

Sarah Lamb / Rupert Pennefather - Manon

Darcey Bussell / Roberto Bolle - at last Darcey found a partner with whom she connected.  I remember a particular Manon.

Sylvie Guillem and Jonathan Cope - the best.  Jonathan never the same partnering any other dancer  

I agree that the Guillem/Cope partnership was very special. But what about the Rojo/Cope partnership in Mayerling which, at the time (2002), took that ballet to another level?

• Like 2

I agree that the Guillem/Cope partnership was very special. But what about the Rojo/Cope partnership in Mayerling which, at the time (2002), took that ballet to another level?

Yes, I would agree with that.

I was an enormous fan of Guillem, but I felt that there was always a slight coolness or aloofness at the heart of every performance she gave.  Consequently Cope always seemed to partnering wonderfully, but I never got a sense of his own personality matching hers. 

The Rojo/Cope partnership in Mayerling was probably the first time he ever convinced me that he could act.  They were magnificent together in that. 

There was Ananiashvili and Fadayev in the 90s though technically she's Georgian, not Russian.  And Makarova and Mukhamedov (but he's a Tartar) around the same time.  Usually though the RB management tries to reproduce the old magic of Fonteyn and Nureyev, so they partnered Bussell first with Mukhamedov and later with Zelensky.  Assylmuratova was also partnered by Cope in the late 80s but after his departure I'm sure she danced with another guest compatriot, can't remember who.

Linda

Edit to correct spelling.

I've just come across a reference to Assylmuratova at the Royal Ballet in 1989 - her partner at some performances was Ruzimatov.