Simply Adult Ballet: the progress of one adult dancer who took up ballet later in life

Michelle_Richer

Oh Terpischore - if l lived a few hundred miles closer I would throw you some flowers for your swansong performance!

As for 'real dancer' wasn't it Martha Graham who said something along the lines of technique does not make a dancer but passion, that dancing comes from the heart.

One of the performances I enjoyed most that I saw last year was from a group with additional needs. Obviously there was very little classical technique but the joy of their performance shone through and the themes of the pieces they performed were clear. It is certainly a reminder that technique alone does not make a dancer.

• Like 3

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all, a few thoughts on your topic that I've been reading for the last few months Michelle:

I think you're entitled to ask for details of courses and classes that you're going to attend. You're paying your money and you're paying for a service, I don't think its unreasonable to expect to have an idea of what you'll be doing when you get there.

From my side I have to say that its very hard to be totally clear about whats going to happen on a course unless you know all participants very well. We recently ran a Swan Lake intensive that was a huge success (I think!) but I was only able to give a fairly accurate estimate of what we'd cover because I knew most of the participants already so I could gauge levels etc. There have been times when I've had to "wing it" a lot more in terms of what we're covering because of some surprise or another.... @Picturesinthefirelight that sound very much like me!

Please let me know how you get on in Manchester Michelle, I'd be very interested to know. We're branching out in October to deliver a masterclass in Birmingham using BRB principals and the Hippodrome. This will be our first "licensing out" operation so I'm keen to see how it goes and what kind of market there is for adult dance north of Watford Gap.

• Like 2

Wow what a response:

Firstly the dress code for Giselle of a Black Leo and black skirt or some other colour leo with black T shirt. We are also to bring Pink / Flesh tights and Black ones too, as the colour will be decided on the day. The same is true for Swan Lake which I am not doing with the exception of a white leo. I just cant imagine black tights for these rolls.

As there is such a response from poster on this thread in favour of the black ballet where. Please take a look at this Swan Lake workshop I attended last year, THIS IS HOW I THINK IT SHOULD BE DONE.

SwanLake1a_zps7d276253.jpg

Had I seen the costume requirements and understood there would be no proper details of the choreography being taught. I never would have applied, after all I had cut a week at Ballet West short, working one-to-one on my own repertoire.

There has also been a lot of pussy footing around about knowing detail in advance and using Youtube clips. I am not saying each and every step has to be an absolute replica, but the structure of the piece has to be reasonably authentic and recognisable. In any case if I find something I want to take away and further develop, it will get changed in something I feel is more pleasing to the eye, and it may be a hybrid version derived from two or more artists or a little bit of home grow creativity added, the important thing for me it, I’m driving it.

It’s also worth saying, I work with video extracts of choreography all the time. I have two repertoire coaches at different studios I see every week, which is backed up by multiple hiring of studios and hall for on going practice. This is not something I’m playing at.

2Dancersmum: Thank you for the Salsa info

CrystalBallet: Thank you for your comments

Edited by Michelle_Richer

Youngatheart, I think you’ve managed to put into words what I was thinking! Not everybody wants to know the exact details of what is being covered in advance - if nobody is told what we’re covering then we’re on a fairly equal playing field in terms of prior knowledge of choreography. Personally, I wouldn't be watching any of the videos of the scenes we’re doing unless we were outright told we were doing that exact choreography - if the videos were only intended as a general guide I wouldn't bother watching them. I’m *okay* at learning from videos, but I wouldn’t want to waste my time learning from one only to have to forget it all and do something different if it was modified for us. Moomin has also made a good point that it’s important to adapt for those that attend - I know a few really amazing dancers attending the advanced intensive at KNT, and then there will be people like myself who have brains that know the steps and legs that don’t necessarily follow!!

Michelle, I’d hardly say it’s a “rigid non-disclosure”, as you have put it - you are aware that this is the first year KNT have run anything like this (I've mentioned it a couple of times and you've also mentioned it yourself) and it wasn’t felt that people needed to be made aware of which choreography we’d be using as a source. Picturesinthefirelight has made the point that the teacher may only decide a few days beforehand - luckily in this case, based on your previous posts, Jane Tucker already had an idea of what she wanted to do.

I have to say I really don’t agree with you when you’ve said that “by providing the info for those of us that want to work at it in preparation, is in no way detrimental to those that don’t” - how is it fair that only some people get prior knowledge of what we’re covering? As I’ve mentioned above, it seems fairer to me to not give anyone any information about the choreography, then we’re all on an even playing field. It’s kind of like school exams (not that this is an exam) - you can study beforehand and you may have been taught something before, but you're not allowed to know the questions on the exam (I hope that makes sense!).

I have been in classes before where somebody has pointed out that what we’re being taught is different to the way they learnt it, but I do agree that it isn’t common for this to happen – although when it does happen, it is so beyond irritating to me and to other people in the class that I have wanted to leave early. Having been the person on both side of the situation you described (about moving across the floor in pairs), I can admit that I am very happy to help people that are struggling with an exercise if I know what I’m doing, but that I can find it intimidating to ask for help from someone who is better than me or who seems like they know a lot more.

I definitely disagree with you on what we have to wear being “awful” – the idea of wearing something plain and simple is so that we don’t get distracted by big/fancy/pretty costumes and we can focus on actually dancing and performing. What to wear for Swan Lake is also very simple, with the same idea of being able to focus on dancing and not what we’re wearing. (Anna C has also made this point quite well above!)

As for the LAB Swan Lake intensive a couple of years ago, I guess we had very different experiences of that - I really enjoyed it and thought that teaching it in bits and pieces and then putting it together at the end was a great idea (it certainly helped me as I didn’t have to try and remember a lot in one go). I also don’t remember lots of people struggling - I thought we’d all remembered it quite well, but maybe that was just my impression from speaking to the others that attended. And I ballet classes I always find it’s best to go with the majority vote - if most people prefer to simply something, then it should be simplified. If you’re doing a performance and most of the people in it are having issues with part of the choreography, then it’s easier to change the choreography than the people.

You keep mentioned about how you think an intensive should be run - if you don't like the way that the KNT intensives are being run, then nobody is forcing you to go. You're paying money for this but you don't seem to be excited about going - that seems like a bit of a waste to me. The only thing we should be forced to pay that nobody wants to pay for is taxes!

On a plus note, I’ve been to classes Tuesday, Wednesday and today, including our beginners pointe class on Tuesday and doing the beginners ballet barre tonight on pointe, and my dodgy feet are holding up well (although after having two weeks off my legs are protesting a bit!). No more pain than a general ache now :)

For anybody attending the KNT intensives next week, the normal evening classes will be running Monday - Thursday if you fancy doing a bit more dance in the evening! :)

• Like 7

White for Swan Lake and Giselle does make a lot of sense for a public performance - I cannot imagine the scenes with dancers in black either but a workshop without a paying audience is a completely different matter. And, white is not a colour a lot of adult dancers are comfortable wearing and everyone in the same colour would look cleaner to the eye and yes black is probably a colour leotard that most dancers already possess. I can only imagine at the cost of a workshop if dancers were required to bring relevant costumes for leading roles in the ballets or if the provider of a workshop had to provide costumes for the dancers of all different shapes and sizes who wished to attend. Costs would probably be prohibitive to most. As a previous poster mentioned - a workshop should be focused on the dancing and the learning experience.

• Like 7

To,be honest I don't like to be told exactly what to wear at a workshop whether it's all out white tutus or plain black leotards

Most workshops just say wear ballet shoes and comfortable clothing which is possible to move around in. I don't see why it HAS to be black leotards.

I do possess one but it's taken me nearly two years to find an off the shelf one.....most don't fit if you're over size 14.

However Capezio now do a very nice style for the more mature dancer in XXL but only in black .....so I do have this one.

I have my own gear which I enjoy wearing.....lots of uniglo tops in different colours with a tie skirt or tunic

You are not going into an exam or doing a proper public performance so should be able to wear what you feel suits you etc.

I can see where Michelle is coming from with her many tutus (it's okay I've joked with her often about this) but it is so obvious she gets such a lot of pleasure out of wearing them and they are rather lovely ....then why not? I personally don't like to stand out too much where clothes etc are concerned but if a person is happy to look different to everybody else in a group I feel it's up to them really.

As long as we're not all expected to turn up in expensive tutus then that is that individuals choice.

You only live once!!

• Like 3

Hi Balletrocks1

Clearly I have a different agenda for the requirements of a repertoire workshop from you and your friends. Simply from my part it was a mistake as I had selected it prematurely on too little information as I always try and operate in a structured way with unnecessary challenges and unplanned surprises. For me its about dancing and living the roll and not about competing against others.

Youngatheart,

You keep mentioned about how you think an intensive should be run - if you don't like the way that the KNT intensives are being run, then nobody is forcing you to go. You're paying money for this but you don't seem to be excited about going

)

After receiving the KNT info pack I seriously did consider dropping the course, I did not sleep at all that night while thinking about it. I had paid the course fees in full, and it was unlikely I would get it reimbursed; the hotel was also book in Manchester for that period. Also and my stay with BalletWest had also been rearrange to accommodate the KNT workshop and I really didn’t want to upset the wonderful relationship with them by asking if they could extend it again. At the end of the day I WILL BE THERE and take away what I can.

Going forward, if the KNT general policy remains the same, then I will NOT be attending their workshops in future. Should it change to be compatible with my requirements, then most definite I will.

Thanks for the Info on the evening classes that are running next week, but sorry I cant make the Thursday, I will already be doing an evening class with BalletWest after one of my one-to-one rep sessions, also my boyfriend Adrian is with me during that week and he will see so little of me bless him. Furthermore I still need to preserve my ankles against overuse which they are susceptible too.

My daughter is delighted to have found KNT classes both in Liverpool and Manchester. They are good open classes and keep her training up. This saves her having to go to London continuously. The information on the website is informative. She also enjoyed the contemporary work shop last week and is looking forward to more.

• Like 4

Isn't the objective of these workshops/intensives to learn but also to ENJOY?  They must surely be designed to be inclusive of everyone and just because everyone cannot have professional tutus and practise clothes will be worn it does not mean anyone is less committed than other people.

• Like 8

I don't see why it HAS to be black leotards. I do possess one but it's taken me nearly two years to find an off the shelf one.....most don't fit if you're over size 14.

Finding a black leotard is extremely tough, though thank goodness Capezio XL mostly fits me now, the sticking point being let's say hip/sitzbone regions :)  Finding a nice white leotard in triphazard size is really quite hard (any recommendations welcome!) I can see why they might not be in heavy demand: white is a scary colour, tends to be see-through and most of my sports bras are black!

White is not a colour a lot of adult dancers are comfortable wearing [....] I can only imagine at the cost of a workshop if dancers were required to bring relevant costumes for leading roles in the ballets or if the provider of a workshop had to provide costumes for the dancers of all different shapes and sizes who wished to attend.

In our local dance school there was a one-week summer school during which we worked on Swan Lake. It would've been sincerely great to have been able to wear a tutu for the final run-through and many of us joked about it. It feels kind of strange, even, to be doing all those moves that use a tutu as a reference point without there being a tutu there, like you're arranging your hands above a ghost tutu! Sort of like ballet meets mime. But picking up a tutu each would cost nearly as much as an entire half-term of ballet; many of the people there do not want to perform in front of anybody other than one another, so they would never use a tutu in anger; also, some of us fear that we would look like humorous Disney characters  :) (in fact when I told him I was going back to ballet, one family member told me precisely this...!) I don't think anyone would've minded if someone had worn one. At another recent event a few of us ended up bringing hoodies and band tshirts as impromptu costumes, so we're not against costuming on principle. But it's not something we could reasonably insist on... some of us are students or unemployed or both :)

We didn't have tutus in the Italy event but then you only get so much baggage allowance on Easyjet :o  I didn't do the performance option, but I was privileged to view an early version of the performance the younger group had been working on and believe me they looked absolutely brilliant and very professional, even though they were in simple black leos and tights.

All this being said, thanks to your kind explanations and recommendations I am now the owner of a romantic tutu from Just Ballet (thanks so much Just Ballet!) and expect to use it shortly. So excited even though I know the poor thing deserves a home with a better dancer!

On a sidenote I totally see why some folks would like to know what choreography would be used. Myself, I am in the 'surprise me!' camp - my ideal workshop starts with doing some slightly unexpected stuff at the barre, finding it referenced again in the centrework and then discovering it's part of the day's rep - but then I am a very inexperienced dancer and so I am still finding my feet. It's all an exploratory process for me.

Beyond that, I think it's probably different learning styles as much as anything. I teach adults in a STEM subject. Some of my students are happiest for bite-size subjects to be taught at each step. Others feel strongly that they prefer to work from an overview of the whole thing, knowing at each point why they are studying that particular topic or method and how it fits into the overall tapestry. Each group feels out of its comfort zone when working in the way that the other group finds most pleasant: the 'bite size' students tend to find that starting with the full-Monty is overwhelming. The full-Monty students tend to find the bite-size approach frustrating and unsatisfying. In my STEM subject we usually try to publish course materials for the full-Montys, but teach in the assumption that the bite-size students won't have read them. In the end, both groups achieve a similar range of outcomes. It's not wholly satisfying for anybody but it's better than nothing for most. Of course, engineering is not ballet so this rambling analogy only goes so far ;)

• Like 1

Michelle, it's not about competing with others for me either - please don't take my comments that way. I'm not going to the intensives to try and one-up anybody or beat them at something, I'm going to have fun and do something different to my regular classes. Whilst there are people such as yourself at events like this that want to get a lot out of it and are going with the intention of learning choreography and "living the role", as you have put it, there are going to be people like myself that are simply going to have a good time.

I feel that at something like these intensives/courses, it's better to have everybody on an even playing field where possible - there is always going to be varying levels of skill, which is unavoidable, but asking us all to wear the same simple, easy-to-find costume seems like a fair way forward. Whilst I love a good tutu (I still wear my LAB one on a regular basis, in my regular classes - a couple of us [sometimes just me!] will wear tutus in the beginners class on a Tuesday, which we started doing about two years ago now I think), and do own a few, not everybody is willing to spend that kind of money for something they might only use once or twice (although if I ever win the lottery, everyone in my class can pick one out!).

I'm not sure why you needed to put 'I will be there' all in capitals in your last post? I'm not trying to make you not come to KNT - I was just pointing out from some of your comments that it doesn't really seem like you want to be there. If you are coming though (and you don't change your mind before Thursday!), then I hope you get out of it what you're looking for. And if you decide it's not something you want to do again, then that's totally your decision (although I can only see these getting better every year so I think you'd be missing out!!).

Just for anybody that is interested in attending the KNT evening classes next week, this is time timetable:

Monday

6:30pm - 7:30pm: Complete Beginners Ballet
6:30pm - 7:30pm: Advanced Ballet
6:30pm - 7:30pm: Improvers/Advanced Tap
7:30pm - 8:30pm: Beginners Jazz
7:30pm - 8:30pm: Advanced Contemporary
7:30pm - 8:30pm: Beginners Tap

Tuesday
6:30pm - 7:30pm: Beginners Ballet
6:30pm - 7:30pm: Advanced Jazz
7:30pm - 8:30pm: Advanced Ballet

Wednesday
6:30pm - 8:00pm: Intermediate/Mixed Level Ballet
8:00pm - 9:00pm: Ballet Repertoire - Improving Beginners/Intermediate Level (we generally choose something different every week, rather than working on one thing over several classes - we've done some Coppelia, Swan Lake, Don Q and Nutcracker so far)

Thursday
6:30pm - 7:30pm: Complete Beginners Ballet
7:30pm - 8:30pm: Beginners Contemporary Workshop
7:00pm - 8:30pm: Advanced Ballet

Only another day to go before it all starts! :)

• Like 1

I feel from watching this afar that the only real loss here will be to you Michelle. I find ballet to be one of the most elegant and gracious art forms, and a gracious open-minded attitude to accompany it does, I strongly believe, allow a dancer to really gain the best out of their experiences. I only hope that when you arrive at KNT this week, you will treat the school and its students with the respect they deserve. I've danced there for some time now and it is a school alive with passion and love for dance, and embraces people from all backgrounds and walks of life. It is a place filled with joy and I for one am thrilled to be a part of that love for ballet. It's a real shame that you appear to have already made up your mind about KNT before you have even experienced the school - however this is your loss and yours alone. You get out what you put in, and several of us have read this thread aghast really at the quick judgements and lack of grace with which you speak of people and a place you have yet to experience. I know we will all be having a great time this week. The intensive has been put on as a response to the demand and request from us, the regulars of the school. If you choose to put your preconceptions aside you'll be made very welcome by some of the warmest and kindest, most passionate dancers I've had the pleasure of meeting.

With regard to the clothing selection - I personally know that I and many others could not afford to attend class and intensives requiring expensive outgoings on top of the fees. I think it's fantastic that this intensive is as accessible as it can be for the majority. It sounds like dancing without costume may make you feel uncomfortable - you imply costume helps you get into the role which can be a great help. Maybe you could try seeing it as a challenge for you and your dancing to have to convey the role fully through your movements and expressions, without the costume. I really feel you will get from this experience what you are prepared to put into it, and turning up with a negative attitude having already decided it won't be good won't really allow you to try and enjoy it to the full. I find much of dance is about opening yourself up to experiencing things fully even if it's not how you would like it to be, or how you think it should be. Maybe this challenge will further your dance skills.

To all the KNT regulars and new faces – have a darn good week too! Terpsichore having looked at your pic I have definitely bumped into you in class before, I’ll say hi when I see you next.

• Like 10

Just thinking back to January when I took part in the English National Ballet Swan Lake workshop.

We were taught the Waltz of the Swans ( number 13 in the Score itself) from Act Two which was fun to learn and I loved the music too - it was so lyrical and lovely .

I'm kind of hoping that will be one of the pieces chosen by Jane .

More fun when the choreography was changed so we had to point threateningly at Rothbart as he wandered into our midst at the end !

• Like 3

I only hope that when you arrive at KNT this week, you will treat the school and its students with the respect they deserve.

Wow that’s a bit strong, essentially what has happened has been the result of information about the course arriving far too late, but that’s done now and I've move on as there is no point in raking over the coals. Of course I will treat everyone with respect I have never done otherwise but I do believe in plain speaking and influencing changes where possible.

To,be honest I don't like to be told exactly what to wear at a workshop whether it's all out white tutus or plain black leotards

Most workshops just say wear ballet shoes and comfortable clothing which is possible to move around in. I don't see why it HAS to be black leotards.

I certainly echo LinMM comment, the vast majority of workshops/intensives do not insist on a strict dress code, it usually optional. Even LAB only recommended practice classical tutu base, or romantic tutu skirts dependant upon what the course was. You will not be removed from the course if you don’t have one. I know on the Don Q Intensive that both Balletrocks1 and I attended, I was ask if I would dress down my tutu with a black T shirt, I did, similarly I had a Kiti tutu with me but it was decided those that had Red Leo’s and Black Skirt with them, should wear them for that piece. I did, especially as we were dancing Kitri’s solo as a small group piece. I certainly didn’t through a wobbly because I couldn’t wear a tutu.

My last Swan Lake workshop with Dance Alive London, In the morning we did the RB version of the Pas de Trios from Act 1, I did that in an appropriate Tutu. In the afternoon we did the ABT version of the Black Swan solo and a simplified version of the Black Swan Coda, as I was a little late back from lunch (naughty me, looking at out first tutors new baby) , I didn’t have time to put my Black Swan tutu on, and did it like everyone else in a leo. At the end of class our second teacher wanted to know why I hadn’t warn it. Oh poo you cant please everyone.

On the positive side when you are doing LAB rehearsals with a male partner, as me and two other girls were, I nearly always had my Le Corsaire tutu with me. In that context its essential as the guy has to allow more room for holding the and supporting his lady, furthermore distance has to be increased between dancers to allow for the classical tutu skirts, its also worth pointing out that a classical pancake skirt can be quite sharp when another dancer accidentally brushes her hand against anothers skirt. This is only gained from experience.

But hayho we are not allowed to use them a KNT this time, so I will just have to do the Dance of the Willis from Act2 of Giselle as one of the Dark Angels of Manchester like everyone else in black and enjoy it.

I may not come back on this thread for a while as I have to be on the road tomorrow Sunday, between 4 and 5 am for the 425mile car journey to Scotland and not sure if we will have internet access. Anyway good luck to those doing Swan Lake. As for those doing Giselle, please make yourself known, it will be good to put a face to those that I have enjoyed a good tussle with.

On a plus note, I’ve been to classes Tuesday, Wednesday and today, including our beginners pointe class on Tuesday and doing the beginners ballet barre tonight on pointe, and my dodgy feet are holding up well (although after having two weeks off my legs are protesting a bit!). No more pain than a general ache now :)

For anybody attending the KNT intensives next week, the normal evening classes will be running Monday - Thursday if you fancy doing a bit more dance in the evening! :)

I am glad your foot is better and I look forward to making your acquaintance.   

I have been crossing the Pennines occasionally for KNT's classes for nearly a year and I  recommend them.  I think I have taken classes with all the instructors and I like them all. There is always buzz in the classes - particularly in Ailsa's.

• Like 1

To all the KNT regulars and new faces – have a darn good week too! ..........................

Hear, hear!  We have spent a lot of money on this intensive and taken 3 days off work.  I for one am determined to enjoy myself.

......................... Terpsichore having looked at your pic I have definitely bumped into you in class before, I’ll say hi when I see you next.

That's good to know. I shall look out for you. By the sound of things there will be several other familiar faces from the regular classes.

But hayho we are not allowed to use them a KNT this time, so I will just have to do the Dance of the Willis from Act2 of Giselle as one of the Dark Angels of Manchester like everyone else in black and enjoy it.

I may not come back on this thread for a while as I have to be on the road tomorrow Sunday, between 4 and 5 am for the 425mile car journey to Scotland and not sure if we will have internet access. Anyway good luck to those doing Swan Lake. As for those doing Giselle, please make yourself known, it will be good to put a face to those that I have enjoyed a good tussle with.

I am sorry you are not happy with aspects of the intensive. I think it will still be worth doing simply because Jane Tucker is such a good teacher.   I've just taken two vacation classes with her this month and I did a class with her last year and enjoyed them all. She is in fact the main reason why I put my name down.

Much as I am looking forward to this course I would have thought twice about this course had we been asked to procure tutus.   I have already spent £72 on a white leotard, black skirt and black and flesh coloured tights on top of the course fees and I think a tutu would have been the last straw for me.

On another point, do give my kind regards to Gillian when you visit Taynuilt.  She looked radiant in her photos.  I am looking forward to seeing Ballet West's Nutcracker next year and La Sylphide in 2017.  

Finally, I do hope to see you in Annemarie's class at least occasionally.   

Enjoy yourself in Manchester - it happens to be my home town - and also in Argyll.

• Like 1

Hi Terpsichore

I will certainly pass your regards on, she is my one-to-one rep coach this time, a really wonderful lady.

Yes I may even get to do your show again next year. LABs show date is the 17th July next time, your is usually the first week in July, I'm just hoping I can persuade my other group to avoid your date. Anyway I need to check the feasibility of that journey out again as I have two classes at English National Ballet the night before and don't get home while 1am Tuesday morning. I will check that out at least once before Christmas. Hope to see you then.

• Like 1

It sounds like some people have misunderstood the clothing required for this - you can wear whatever you want for the classes and rehearsals, but for the final performance you need either a white leotard/any leotard and a white t-shirt and a black skirt (for Swan Lake) or a black leotard/any leotard and a black t-shirt and a black skirt (for Giselle) - if everybody was wearing something different for the performance it would distract from the dancing (which is kind of the whole pointe [get it? :D] in the first place).

For those of you coming to Swan Lake I'll see you bright and early tomorrow!! :)

• Like 1

Back from a lovely holiday with a rather spasmed back -- I'm hoping ballet class tonight will help me stretch it out! Proff that holidays are not necessarily good for me.

I've been reading about all the summer workshops that have been held for adult students -- great stuff. I must try to plan for doing one next year. But like others, I'm a bit puzzled about a desire to learn the exact repertoire before attending a workshop. It seems to defeat the purpose of attending the workshop to work with a specific teacher, learning a specific piece of choreography.

And also, I've long been taught that, as a dancer, you need to be prepared to change the way you do things for a specific teacher or choreographer. There's no necessarily "right" way of doing some steps or choreography. Although there are many many wrong ways ...

For example, in my basic beginners class (the only one I can attend regularly at the moment) the others are learning the en dedans pirouette. I learnt it with a fouetté leg into the retiré, but we're doing it with the leg going straight from the lunge to retiré at the back of the knee. I find it a bit weird, as I"ve been using the fouetté technique for years! But that's what the teacher is asking for, so that's what I do.

I think maybe, Michelle, that you're quite new to ballet & the theatre/performing arts more generally? I was literally brought up in the theatre, so it's interesting to see the responses of a newcomer to my world -- I think that your comment about being "plain speaking" is probably something you need to be a bit careful about. The arts world runs on recognition of and  respect for talent and knowledge -- it's not the business world! Although in my day job I'm quite a senior manager, in the ballet class, I am the student, and my teacher is the teacher, and I respect that relationship.

BalletRocks, you're doing a great job of giving information about the KNT workshop -- I'm from the north west but currently exiled to the West Country, and I wish that when I lived up north, KNT had been in existence. I must try to get there for next year's workshop.

Toi toi toi & merde to you all, and please come back & report on what you learnt for those of us about to go back to work <grumpy face>

• Like 11

Hi Kate,

I feel your pain regarding the en dedans pirouette you mentioned! Both versions are very common but changing the way you do it having learnt it the other way is a nightmare. For me it was the other way around - I had been doing the version without the fouette for very many years, and then suddenly had to learn to put one in.

It seems that some syllabi such as BBO teach them with the fouette, whereas others such as RAD & Cecchetti teach them without. Neither version is "wrong" - it just depends on the background of the teacher.