Simply Adult Ballet: the progress of one adult dancer who took up ballet later in life

Michelle_Richer

The shop in Brighton is called "Shuropody" they do have a website but am not sure if there are other branches of it anywhere.

The chemist John Bell and Croyden is really very good indeed for all sorts of foot type problems and other body support wear. It's just a very short walk from John Lewis.

Have Pm you so at some point on Friday will let you know the exact size of the satin shoes.

• Like 1

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks :) Probably should've started with a hello too, thinking about it! Better late than never...

Hi all adult ballet people! I've been lurking on this forum for a little while, it's been incredibly helpful and inspiring and I've found lots of interesting ballet-related activities through it, such as the ENB classes in London. You're all so accomplished :)

I went back to ballet after finishing a long slow PhD. Being an out-of-shape commuter (unless the shape in question is 'pear', in which case...), I'm generally at the back of the class somewhere trying not to fall over my own feet, hence the username. I'm about to run off to Italy for my first intensive since the late 1990s. :unsure::wacko:

• Like 3

Gita has published a review of our contribution to Northern Ballet Academy's end of year show in Terpsichore.  In its she says:

"Each of the performers danced well and it would be unfair for me to single any out for special praise. The complicated sequences at the start and end of the piece where each dancer raises her hand in turn went off without a hitch. The dancers synchronised their arm movements in the courou and I was impressed by the jumping group and the temps leves of the balance group. Some of the dancers managed quite an elevation which is all the more remarkable given their age. Having seen the rehearsal I know the amount of work that the dancers had put into this show through their classes and rehearsals. They all seemed to be enjoying themselves."

However, we didn't get everything right. She says:

"The one thing that they could have done better would have been to dance off stage. They seemed to walk off into the wings after they had performed their dance which detracted a little from the overall slickness of the performance. Having said that it may be that I am a little sensitive to that issue as the choreographer of a show in which I had appeared had been very hot on that point."

This is something we have to work on when we present the work again in September.

She has included two pictures in her review one of which shows me.

jane%2Bdance.jpg

Altogether I am very happy with the review.

Like · Comment · Share
  • Like 3

Trip hazard which Giselle intensive are you meaning.

The LAB are doing a Giselle intensive in August too but I think you said you were going to Italy for it??

LAB - that's the bunny! The Italy one is a month earlier and has no performance attached to it. I am trying to figure out whether to sign up for the LAB intensive or not as there's apparently currently still space, but it kind of depends on costs to some extent :) And gosh ... there seems no upper limit to the cost of dancewear :blink::) - that is, £40 is a reassuring number to hear :)

Edited by triphazard

If it's the LAB one you're on you can buy direct from their website too if they have your size etc in stock.

Just go to the shop and you should see both types of tutu on sale their similar price to Just Ballet. I had both mine made by Just Ballet because at size 16 I seem to be a size larger than anyone else so needed that EXTRA Large size not always in stock!!

But if you are a size 14 or under you should be okay.

Their intensives are very good and I usually come and watch (as family or friend) on the last day but because they are five or six days it's too much for me every day for a week like that at the mo.

I'm doing some of the summer shorts though which start next week.

Hope you will decide to go anyway. If they do their three day intensive in October again I might have a go at that this year.

• Like 1

Hi Triphazard

The tutu.s for LAB whilst desirable are not compulsory, however if you intend doing a number of them then I think it would be very wise. But if it’s a one-off to try and see, you won’t be the only one without a tutu.

As Lin said it’s most likely to be a romantic tutu usually with a while leotard. For me I’m usually the one that’s different with a full professional tutu and sometimes I’m asked to dress it down with a plain T shirt on the top. That certainly happened with Don Quixote as I took two tutu’s along for that one, but I was not allowed to wear my red and black Kitri tutu for that course.

I haven’t done any of LAB’s intensives this year, but I did do the very first Swan Lake in 2013, then Sleeping Beauty, Don Quixote and Swan Lake in 2014.

Hi Bellini Pointe

I’ve just contacted KNT Danceworks for info on their Three Day Giselle Workshop you mentioned in post # 1639, I’m interested to how they will respond assuming places are still available. I have virtually fallen out with LAB and the Royal Academy of Dance through not publishing details of the repertoire (scenes) being taught. Consequently I have move to private rep coaching with two private coaches every week.

• Like 1

KNT Danceworks are also doing a three day workshop for Advanced Dancers based on Giselle which is being held in August in Manchester .It will be taught by a former Dancer of Northern Ballet Theatre. Full details on their Website.

There is an advert for their summer intensives on Facebook but I couldn't find details on the main company website:

https://www.facebook.com/KNTDanceworks5/photos/a.10151287759729610.526752.157473259609/10153582708399610/?type=1&permPage=1

http://www.manchesterdanceclasses.co.uk/

Perhaps I can help.

The workshop is taken by Jane Tucker who also teaches the vacation classes at Northern Ballet.  Jane is also running a beginners course on Swan Lake,

Both cost £200 and there is a non-refundable deposit of £50.

I have put my name down for the Swan Lake and you will fond several articles about the intensives and KNT in general in Terpsichore.

• Like 1

Thanks both for your comments and explanations, it is greatly appreciated! 

The tutu.s for LAB whilst desirable are not compulsory, however if you intend doing a number of them then I think it would be very wise. But if it’s a one-off to try and see, you won’t be the only one without a tutu.

As Lin said it’s most likely to be a romantic tutu usually with a while leotard. For me I’m usually the one that’s different with a full professional tutu and sometimes I’m asked to dress it down with a plain T shirt on the top.

Would that be the tutu on your user pic? It's very very nice!

If it's the LAB one you're on you can buy direct from their website too if they have your size etc in stock.

Just go to the shop and you should see both types of tutu on sale their similar price to Just Ballet. I had both mine made by Just Ballet because at size 16 I seem to be a size larger than anyone else so needed that EXTRA Large size not always in stock!!

Having an X or so to go alongside the L is generally something I find more comfortable too, so Just Ballet is the way forward for me. Five or six days is certainly a lot in one lump and may be too ambitious: some soul-searching going on right now in Triphazard Towers (temporary Italian edition) :-)

Edited by triphazard

Hi Triphazaed

The one in the user pic is my Odette tutu from Swan Lake, I have a number of tutu's for most leading rolls and it was the one I was allowed to used for Don Q, provided I dressed it down. But on LAB rehearsals I use what is appropriate to the character roll we are dancing, usually quite close to Bolshoi’s costumes for that roll. For LAB dress rehearsal then I will follow LABs guidance for our particular corps de ballet costumes which is only fair.

Hi Terpsichore

Good luck with your Swan Lake Workshop, you will have to tell us all about it afterwards.

If there is still a place for the Giselle Workshop I may well consider it, however I had an email from Ballet West in Scotland this morning. It now looks as if my visit will be after the 8th August then I will spend a whole week with them. They now have my list of the rep they will be coaching me on, so I may not be able to attend the Giselle Workshop in Manchester after all. I’m waiting on actual dates, hopefully I will get tem next week.

Hi Lin

Yes I will be doing Blue Bird on Tuesday, I’ve danced through a generic version and I must confess its growing on me. At first I wasn't very keen, but now I quite like it. Lisa is teaching it, I did get a chance to ask her what version we were doing, she was a bit vague but suggested it may be from either RB or ENB. The only RB clip I found was quite old and extremely fast, so I thought that one was unlikely, whatever it will be fun. Needless to say I will be in blue.

If you want to meet up for a coffee/meal prior to doing the short at the Place studio, do let me know.

Will email or text you Michelle about meeting up on Tuesday

Thank goodness the projected rail strike has been called off so at least getting up to London should be normal.....well as normal as it ever is!!

Just a thought Triphazard if you've never worked with LAB before and don't live too far from London you could try the Shorts programme

The first one is next week on Tuesday at the Place and it's from 7- 8.30 and we are learning a version of the Bluebird solo from Sleeping Beauty and then continuing the following Tuesday.......its two sessions for each solo.

I hope there will be some adaptation allowed .......as the original is pretty full on!! I usually make my own discreet as possible adaptations anyway.....like assembles instead of brisees and maybe two slower pique turns instead of three and a soubresaut instead of an entrechat quatre......that sort of thing!!

I really would love to do the LAB Giselle intensive .....so hopefully if can manage an injury free year this next year ...another time.

I'm dying to know what the autumn intensive in October will be on.

• Like 1

Just a thought Triphazard if you've never worked with LAB before and don't live too far from London you could try the Shorts programme

The first one is next week on Tuesday at the Place and it's from 7- 8.30 and we are learning a version of the Bluebird solo from Sleeping Beauty and then continuing the following Tuesday.......its two sessions for each solo.

The Bluebird solo seems awfully advanced though!!  :P  Sadly I have another dance thing on next week.

Paranoia says maybe it's just as well, given the uncomfortable time I'm having on this intensive. No idea what I'm meant to be doing or which class I'm meant to be in and everybody just seems irritable. Some of it's situational - for example, they don't have enough mats for everyone in Pilates class and so of course being the last person into the room meant no mat for me. Also, at the ENB classes or most of the various classes I frequent  'darn sarf', people usually seem to find time to say hi, remember [or ask] your name, provide occasional information about loos, drinking water, etc... People here all seem to think my name is SomethingItIsn't. The weirdest bit of all this is that my partner commented on how nice everybody was and mentioned that someone had asked him if he was 'Triphazard's other half', so at least one person there does know my actual name. Admittedly I'm a timid soul and probably cause a lot of this by being too quiet, but I feel a bit like I'm trapped in a succession of anonymous Pineapple Dance-style opens in which I am a problem, not a person... Oh well, maybe it'll get better...  having a snooze now and we'll see how things look afterwards... :mellow:

Edited by triphazard
  • Like 1

The KNT Danceworks Summer Intensive for Giselle still has some places available, the maximum for this workshop is 30 but when I spoke to them there was only 20 places filled. I am waiting on detail of rep being covered and my dates in August for my week at Ballet West to see if it’s feasible.

Tuesday night was our LAB Summer Short on the Blue Bird Solo, it was quite a small class, only 5 girls including me an LinM and one guy for the male solo. The same teacher taught both solo’s.

For me it wasn’t quite the solo I was expecting, so going was quite tough. The version I learnt was the one that virtually commences with 6 arabesques with up to 3 different arm positions and ends with a series of a sort of jumping soft chaine turns. That version is quite generic with a few minor changes between companies.

The version we learn is extremely similar to Yuhui Choe of Balletoman, with a couple of minor differences and is considerably faster (54 seconds) than the one I had learnt (104 seconds). However there is an even faster version at about 46 seconds which is an old Royal Ballet version by Antoinette Sibley.

Fortunately the Summer Short is in two part, so better luck next week. I have already practiced it down my local hall now I have virtually broken the body memory link with the older version, and have some additional coaching booked for Friday to tidy things up.

• Like 2

I have managed to get an indication of what rep is being taught on the KNT Danceworks “Giselle Intensive”

main solo from act one

peasant pas de deux solo (and maybe some peasant dances depending on time)

main willies dance from act two

I’m hoping I can free the Intensive dates off from my trip to Ballet West in Scotlan and reschedule it for a week or so later.

The Blue Bird Summer Short at LAB went much better on the second session we did on Tuesday, at least this time I knew the rep we were doing. Although it was very similar to the video on my previous posting, the very beginning through prep was different, also our recording was much softer on the intro which didn’t exactly make it easy, but everyone had their wings (arms) flapping by the end of the intro. I guess for me I got two for the price of one as I leant the Russian style first for this variation. At least my Blue Bird tutu got an airing.

I’m now re-choreographing my own version of Blue Bird which will be a hybrid of at least three and will also contain some of my own content, its now in the melting pot.

We had an additional girl join this course, giving us six girls. Although we danced this mainly one at a time, everyone got an applause from the rest of the class which was very encouraging but at the very end we did it as a group piece, two lines of three girls as it was suggested that this may be used in our LAB Christmas performance although the main theme will be Giselle.

Edited by Michelle_Richer

Oh my God Michelle I hope she was only joking then!!

I did enjoy learning it very much for the Short ...so many thanks to LAB for this....however I will feel a rather large bird flapping around in this for a show!!

I think I know now why LP was smiling rather a lot at the end of my solo ......because On the way home I realised that instead of a delicate little bluebird (and isn't Choe delightful in this) that I was trying to emulate I probably resembled the flapping chickens in Fille!!

• Like 1

Hi Lin

You may be right about LP joking although at the time it did seem like a serious comment but practically that variation would only be danced by one group, but our short was made up several groups and we all can’t do it.

For me I wouldn’t really want to do that version, I do like Choe’s beginning, and I had rather we used her port de bras and not that which we were taught. Most of Choe’s version is nice but I prefer the springy turns used by Mariinsky and Kirov, but I would retain Choe’s last two steps for the full down pose .

I love your analogy of a flapping chicken, that really made me laugh. I enjoyed the short but I would have enjoyed it more if I had known what version we were dancing on week one, anyway it gave my Bluebird tutu an airing. On the upside I got to learn two versions for that solo.

I’ve booked the KNT Danceworks "Giselle Intensive" in Manchester which could be useful as LAB and my other performing group are both doing Giselle for their Christmas shows. As the Giselle Intensive is only three days Thurs Fri and Sat. Mon to Wednesday I’m now with Ballet West in Scotland working on my own rep.

• Like 1

Hi Michelle, not sure if you'll recognise me from the profile picture or not but I went to the LAB Summer Intensive last year (Don Quixote) and the year before, and I'll be at both of the KNT Danceworks ballet intensives this summer!

KNT Danceworks is where I go for all of my ballet classes, all of which take place at The Dancehouse Theatre - which also happens to be the home of the Northern Ballet School, so you can rest assured that the studios are of a good standard! Not sure you meant it to come across this way, but it sounds from some of your previous posts like you aren't too impressed by the school? I hope we can change that!!

I've been taking classes there for nearly 4 years now and I've never had a problem with the facilities available - and the classes have been running for about 8 years, with student numbers increasing more and more all the time. When KNT Danceworks first opened, there were only 2 classes a week (both ballet, one beginners and one advanced), and now there are 18 classes in various styles, as well as private lessons that you can book and classes for children that run on a Saturday morning. We usually do a couple of shows each year with all of the other evening classes at The Dancehouse Theatre, and we've also had the opportunity to do a few other things as well (including Chance2Dance a couple of years ago, a flashmob in Manchester City Centre, and a performance for charity that was organised by one of the women who comes to class).

Jane Tucker, who is teaching both of the intensives, has done some guest teacher classes for us before and they are always really fun so I'm sure the intensives will be the same! All of the KNT Danceworks teachers are great too, and one or two will probably be around during the intensives if you have any questions!

Also, Tulip, there are KNT Danceworks classes in Liverpool - if you search for KNT Danceworks Liverpool on Facebook you should find the page, which has info about the classes. They've not been running for as long as the Manchester classes, but from what I hear they are just as good!

Good luck with all of your other dancing things this summer, and I'll see you at the Giselle intensive in August!

• Like 3

Hi BalletRocks1

I as I mentioned in my last post, this studio is a first for me, I have not danced in Manchester before, so its true I didn’t know what to expect. I have danced in some wonderful studios, like we both did at the Royal Ballet School for last years LAB Intensives, and of course my own regular classes at ENB which has a wonderful upper studio, no so keen on the lower one as it has quite a sticky floor. To some not so nice, not very well maintained studios.

However I have found getting responses about the course from KNT to be somewhat slow and disappointing, but in the ballet world I’m beginning to think that is part of its culture.

Have you done any intensive at KNT before ?, if so, perhaps you can shed some light on these questions:

Can I assume the Intensive is being conducted on demi-pointe?

Is music via recordings or on-site pianist?

Is there food available and a dining area on site?

Is there drinking water available in the studio.

Is there car parking spaces available on site?

Is videoing of rehearsals permitted during the course, in order that one can become more familiar with the rep off site?

Is the end of course performance being videoed as a memento for the participants of the course?

Is there any costume requirements (advisory or mandatory) particularly for the end of course performance.

Is there any social get together after class for dancers of the intensive to get to know each other?

Any way it will be nice to see you again BalletRocks1, its always nice to meet a familiar face, I just hope I can keep awake on the first day after travelling down from the Scottish Highlands the previous night  after an Intensive 3 days of one-to-one at Ballet West.

Dancehouse, where KNT holds its classes, is also the home of the Northern Ballet School. You'll find some of the information you seek here:

http://www.thedancehouse.co.uk/about_us/intro_about_us.asp

It's located on Oxford Road, one of the main arteries out of the centre of Manchester, going to the University. Five minutes walk from the Manchester Oxford Road railway station. Next door to what was the Cornerhouse, now Home, and there are bars, cafés and any kind of restaurant you'd want, plus a fruit & veg stall , all within 5 minutes' walk.

For that reason, I doubt there's parking on site, but there's a big parking garage nearby. It's very connected for public transport, however.

• Like 1

I find parking in Manchester ruinously expensive.  I tend to use the NCP at the back of the Palace Theatre in Whitworth Street.  It's very handy for your venue but last time I parked there for a whole day it cost me £14!

It would be much more economic if you could use public transport.  BTW, I always enjoy the food and ambience in the Java Cafe, on the slope up towards Oxford Rd station.

• Like 1